Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:27 pm

Saturday did 75% of last Saturday which isn't bad to be fair considering it's in 200 fewer theatres.

I would say that's about ¥5 million.

By all accounts I have that as a total of ¥2.47 billion now, equal to that of Broly Second Coming.

The next one above it Super Android 13 at ¥2.55 billion....don't know if that's being passed.

Garo
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Garo » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:09 pm

Movie comes out worldwide this month. I hope it can make at least $100 million.

August is a dead month so it should have no competition.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:44 am

Garo wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:09 pm Movie comes out worldwide this month. I hope it can make at least $100 million.

That would certainly blow my prediction out of the water.
I can only see $70 million at absolute best. Since the movie has underperformed in Japan, I do feel confident about my prediction from page 1. If Toei gets away with such shite marketing and still does Broly numbers globally, then really what is the world coming to...

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:10 am

dbgtFO wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:44 am
Garo wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:09 pm Movie comes out worldwide this month. I hope it can make at least $100 million.

I can only see $70 million at absolute best. Since the movie has underperformed in Japan, I do feel confident about my prediction from page 1. If Toei gets away with such shite marketing and still does Broly numbers globally, then really what is the world coming to...
Yeah, comparing the marketing for Broly and Super Hero is like night and day. We saw what a push the former got in Times Square, on subways, even on the streets of London....

And it just about crossed $100 million.

No way is Super Hero going to gross that much internationally. A wider release means nothing if the average anime fan isn't aware this movie is being released, which was not the case with Broly.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:50 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:10 am

Yeah, comparing the marketing for Broly and Super Hero is like night and day. We saw what a push the former got in Times Square, on subways, even on the streets of London....

No way is Super Hero going to gross that much internationally. A wider release means nothing if the average anime fan isn't aware this movie is being released, which was not the case with Broly.
Still blows my mind how poor the marketing for this film has been internationally. I want it to do well because I think the movie is pretty decent, but if it massively underperforms internationally, Toei has only themselves to blame.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:02 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:50 am

Still blows my mind how poor the marketing for this film has been internationally. I want it to do well because I think the movie is pretty decent, but if it massively underperforms internationally, Toei has only themselves to blame.
Same. Are you planning to see it in theatres? I think now it's up to the fans like us to ensure the movie performs well internationally because TOEI didn't pull their weight to ensure it got off to a good start in Japan.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:13 am

I can't speak too much for the promotion, is it really that much worse? 20th Century Fox distributed Broly but they aren't with Super Hero so is that a factor?

Broly came off a three year hugely successful run so fans were probably much more aware of it too.

You can't expect this to make the same kind of money as Broly. Though as I've said before Resurrection F was in a worse position than Super Hero and that still made $30 million+ outside of Japan so that should be a bare minimum for this.

Though it's gonna need $81 million internationally to reach $100 million worldwide. Seeing as Broly did $89 million that would seem very unlikely.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:32 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:02 am

Same. Are you planning to see it in theatres? I think now it's up to the fans like us to ensure the movie performs well internationally because TOEI didn't pull their weight to ensure it got off to a good start in Japan.
I'm in no rush at all to see it. If I have time, I'll check it out. If I'm too busy, I won't. Besides, I've already seen the movie, and while I thought it was okay, it was nothing that I felt was mandatory to watch in the cinema itself.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:43 pm

Sunday is about ¥6 million. Weekend based on last weekend should be like ¥11 million.

With tomorrow which is also a holiday it should be around ¥2.48 billion.

Also the movie has been included here.

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range ... barbarian/

They have a OW range of $9-14 million and a total of $16-31 million. For US of course.

It's such a wide range for the total that it doesn't really tell you much.

Super Hero is being released in 1,000 more theatres than Broly though so it needs to be on par at least really. Like $25 million at least.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:04 am

It's obvious the people holding the rights of this franchise don't know what they are doing.

- Dragon Ball makes a lot of money, yet DBS instead of being well done product as you expected of a popular franchise, it's an awful mess until the last arc.

- The anime ended in 2018 and still didn't come back, even though it makes more money than any other thing Toei is doing, there's story arcs to adapt and people are asking for its return.

- After the critically acclaimed 2D DBS Broly movie, what's the next logical step? Do another great 2D movie? No, a fully CGI Movie and not advertise it at all... I honestly don't know what they are expecting from this movie. They wanted it to underperform?! Why they would want that?! Surely they wanted to make money?! But if so where's the marketing to make people go to the theaters?!

The stupidest thing is that they may blame the underperforming to the lack of the most popular characters like Goku/Vegeta, while it's obvious that's not the only reason...
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:34 pm

Monday sold more tickets than Sunday, up 9% from last Monday.

However it's hard to say what the gross would be because the average seems to differ between the weekday and weekend but could be as low as $5 million and as high as ¥7 million.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:48 pm

Actual - ¥2,475,713,530

That's as of Sunday. So with Monday it's at ¥2.48 billion. Less than ¥20 million till it reaches ¥2.5 billion which it may do this week.

Issei189
Beyond Newbie

Post by Issei189 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:58 am

They're trying now with this last resort through this DBS Collaboration in Fortnite. They're promoting the movie with this clip of engdub Piccolo vs Gamma 2 and Fortnite is played by like over 100 million people world wide. A lot of teens and Young adults play this game, so it should ignite interest.
https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1559518123656564736
Last edited by Issei189 on Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Guts001

Post by Guts001 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:02 am

Issei189 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:58 am
They're trying now with this last resort though this DBS Collaboration in Fortnite. They're promoting the movie with this clip of engdub Piccolo vs Gamma 2 and Fornite is played by like over 100 million people world wide. A lot of teens and Young adults play this game, so it should ignite interest.
https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1559518123656564736
You know it would have been even easier if they had chosen Piccolo and Gohan to make skins for, you know the main characters of the movie. At least, give Bulma the outfit she's wearing in the movie. To be honest, I don't think the fortnite DLC will be enough to rmassively ramp up interest for the movie.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:09 am

I feel like 20th Century Fox Japan not being a thing anymore might be the reason why the marketing of this film is so poor compared to the last few films. But that’s just for Japan. What’s up with the international release? 2 month gap between the Japanese and International releases? Barely any promotion with billboards, signage and TV spots? Did they blow out their budget with this Fortnite collab? At least that shows a clip from the movie in-game. Uploading a trailer on IGN isn’t going to magically make everyone aware that a movie is coming out.

I just got back from the premiere screening here in Melbourne and the theatre was almost half empty. That should not be happening for a new Dragon Ball film. They’re boasting that this is the widest international release for an anime film, yet it doesn’t have the marketing to back it up.

I don’t get it.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:13 pm

Tuesday did maybe ¥3 million, around ¥2.483 billion.

Anyway, the movies international release date starts from tomorrow. It opens in a lot of countries between here and Sunday. These being the most significant

Argentina
Australia
Bolivia
Brazil
Chile
Colombia
Ecuador
Mexico
Netherlands
Peru
UK
USA
Venezuela

The countries in bold were top 10 markets for Broly.

With so many countries and coming altogether it does makes things a lot harder for me to keep track of. I have certain sites saved from when Broly released if they still work and I'll do my best but could probably do with help. If you happen to see any box office information for your local country perhaps then please share if I haven't already.

Later I will see if I can get some Opening Weekend/Total Gross information for some of the countries listed above for Broly so that when Super Hero comes out we can see the comparison.

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MuscleRobo » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:31 pm

I had to get tickets on the 18th! I'm mad they were available on the 17th, maybe I can try to find tickets but a lot are probably sold out.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:21 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:13 pm Tuesday did maybe ¥3 million, around ¥2.483 billion.

Anyway, the movies international release date starts from tomorrow. It opens in a lot of countries between here and Sunday. These being the most significant

Argentina
Australia
Bolivia
Brazil
Chile
Colombia
Ecuador
Mexico
Netherlands
Peru
UK
USA
Venezuela

The countries in bold were top 10 markets for Broly.

With so many countries and coming altogether it does makes things a lot harder for me to keep track of. I have certain sites saved from when Broly released if they still work and I'll do my best but could probably do with help. If you happen to see any box office information for your local country perhaps then please share if I haven't already.

Later I will see if I can get some Opening Weekend/Total Gross information for some of the countries listed above for Broly so that when Super Hero comes out we can see the comparison.
It's an incredible waste how late France gets the manga. There has been no market like France for the manga of Dragon Ball, at least.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:45 pm

It is unfortunate, France was Broly's 5th biggest market. At least it's getting a release.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:41 pm

It’s it fair to assume that Beast will be number one for the weekend?