Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:09 am

There's no way Super Hero will get to $200 million. At this stage during their runs movies have made most of the money they're going to make, but considering Super Hero has made about as much money as many naysayers thought it would make at best I think it's done pretty well.

I'm confident it will be released in China because Resurrection F and Broly were shown there, and made $1,607,680 and $4,558,443 respectively. I'm hoping Super Hero will lean closer to the latter's gross, although given how long a wait it tends to be for these movies to hit China it may even pass $80 million before its screened in China.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:08 am

Skar wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:53 am Only five anime films have grossed over $200 million so I don't think it's realistic for a DB film to get that high. That's almost double Broly which had more fan service and focused on more popular characters than SH did. SH is the second highest grossing CGI anime film so that's probably better than expected.
Yeah thats right I think the highest grossing CGi movie is stand by me doraemon , and this is the 2nd highest grosing CGi movie, But damm if it earned 35-40 million in japan alone (like broly), this would have grossed 100 million easily by now.
Last edited by Mr_CINDER on Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Issei189
Beyond Newbie

Post by Issei189 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:16 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:09 am There's no way Super Hero will get to $200 million. At this stage during their runs movies have made most of the money they're going to make, but considering Super Hero has made about as much money as many naysayers thought it would make at best I think it's done pretty well.

I'm confident it will be released in China because Resurrection F and Broly were shown there, and made $1,607,680 and $4,558,443 respectively. I'm hoping Super Hero will lean closer to the latter's gross, although given how long a wait it tends to be for these movies to hit China it may even pass $80 million before its screened in China.
This movie still hasn't been released in other international big markets like France ( October 5) and Italy (September 29). DBS Broly grossed over 4 million in France and over 2 Million in Italy

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:12 am

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:31 am

In Taiwan, Super Hero ranked #4 in the opening weekend and earned NT$4.192M.
Interestingly, the top 2 movies in the weekend are also anime, "One Piece Film Red" and "Spirited Away"
https://www.facebook.com/taipeibo/posts ... t5QubvjP1l

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:50 am

Super Hero's revenue surpasses Broly in Spain
https://twitter.com/doblajesz/status/15 ... 1199587328

Also, Super Hero now is #4 highest grossing anime movie of all time in Spain
https://twitter.com/MrKaytos/status/1572491038140542976

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:12 pm

It's been a month and most theatres in Toronto, Ontario, Canada have stopped playing DBS Super: Super Hero. Is it the same scenario in the US?
The world is your's.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:11 pm

The film grossed over $87 million worldwide and has become the second-highest-grossing Dragon Ball film ever.

Massive credit to the international audience for supporting this movie. Despite it performing worse in several countries compared to DBS Broly, especially in Japan, it still pulled in a good amount of money, all things considered.

KingSailem

Post by KingSailem » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:04 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:11 pm The film grossed over $87 million worldwide and has become the second-highest-grossing Dragon Ball film ever.

Massive credit to the international audience for supporting this movie. Despite it performing worse in several countries compared to DBS Broly, especially in Japan, it still pulled in a good amount of money, all things considered.
Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero with the W. Will surpass 100 million soon.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:57 pm

KingSailem wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:04 pm
Lord Beerus wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:11 pm The film grossed over $87 million worldwide and has become the second-highest-grossing Dragon Ball film ever.

It's not going to hit 100 million. Best case scenario it gets $10 million from the remaining markets, but I'd give it that much tops.

Still, for an anime movie Super Hero has been a massive success despite not being marketed very well. Glad to see Dragon Ball can still perform in spite of that.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

KingSailem

Post by KingSailem » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:38 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:57 pm
KingSailem wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:04 pm

It's not going to hit 100 million. Best case scenario it gets $10 million from the remaining markets, but I'd give it that much tops.

Still, for an anime movie Super Hero has been a massive success despite not being marketed very well. Glad to see Dragon Ball can still perform in spite of that.
It’ll hit 100 million mark my words.

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:36 pm

if china make at least 5 or 6 millions it's 100M for sure

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:56 pm

Do you guys think that the boycott had an affect on why the movie is failing at the box office? Remember a couple months back there was like this one anime youtuber who said to boycott the film and had Toei trending on twitter awhile back?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:13 am

I think the lack of hype compared to Broly hurt Super Hero more than anything. Boycotters are a loud minority that wouldn't have as much of an effect on the box office as people think.

Still, as it stands Super Hero is at $81,282,582. That's one he'll of an accomplishment for an anime movie fans have been more lukewarm about its theatrical release.

I hope TOEI won't see this as a reason Dragon Ball doesn't need to be marketed, because if they go all-in on the next movie we could very well have a second movie in this series cross $100 million (still don't think Super Hero will get there, but all things considered its performed very well).

KingSailem

Post by KingSailem » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:39 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:13 am I think the lack of hype compared to Broly hurt Super Hero more than anything. Boycotters are a loud minority that wouldn't have as much of an effect on the box office as people think.

Still, as it stands Super Hero is at $81,282,582. That's one he'll of an accomplishment for an anime movie fans have been more lukewarm about its theatrical release.

I hope TOEI won't see this as a reason Dragon Ball doesn't need to be marketed, because if they go all-in on the next movie we could very well have a second movie in this series cross $100 million (still don't think Super Hero will get there, but all things considered its performed very well).
You’re going by Box Office Mojos number and the website has not updated DBSSH since early September , the movie has continued to make money every day. There are clear instances were DBSSH has been released and they haven’t even updated those numbers i.e. the movie at minimal has made 5 million in Brazil but it’s not listed on the site, in Mexico BoM has it at 7+ million when it’s over 8+, in U.S it at 34+ but is actually over 37+, all those numbers are not updated to reflect the current total, according to multiple reports as of September 29, DBSSH was at 87.3 million. You talk about a lukewarm reaction but from majority of the fans and critics that I’ve talked to they seem to like the movie, it has better fan and critic reviews, a higher Rotten Tomato score then any other DB movie. Marketing only helps a film to a degree but the film has to deliver on so may other things to get the fans coming back and watch multiple times which they are, I just think people are fishing for a reason to hate the movie because it’s not a 2D movie, there’s no Goku ,Vegeta, or Broly and yet the movie is doing well still.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:08 am

KingSailem wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:39 amYou’re going by Box Office Mojos number and the website has not updated DBSSH since early September , the movie has continued to make money every day.
Fair enough, I concede that often numbers are underreported. I hope I'm wrong though, I'd like to see Super Hero make more than $100 million.
KingSailem wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:39 amYou talk about a lukewarm reaction but from majority of the fans and critics that I’ve talked to they seem to like the movie, it has better fan and critic reviews, a higher Rotten Tomato score then any other DB movie. Marketing only helps a film to a degree but the film has to deliver on so may other things to get the fans coming back and watch multiple times which they are, I just think people are fishing for a reason to hate the movie because it’s not a 2D movie, there’s no Goku ,Vegeta, or Broly and yet the movie is doing well still.
I'm not talking about people being lukewarm on the quality of the movie, I mean in relation to it being released in theatres. Yes critically Super Hero has done well, and it's generally quite well liked but the excitement hasn't been there from fans who haven't seen it yet. It was the same case with Solo : A Star Wars Story, which even some hardcore fans didn't care much for, but those who seen it in theatres (as I did) liked it.

KingSailem

Post by KingSailem » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:25 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:08 am
KingSailem wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:39 amYou’re going by Box Office Mojos number and the website has not updated DBSSH since early September , the movie has continued to make money every day.
Fair enough, I concede that often numbers are underreported. I hope I'm wrong though, I'd like to see Super Hero make more than $100 million.
KingSailem wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:39 amYou talk about a lukewarm reaction but from majority of the fans and critics that I’ve talked to they seem to like the movie, it has better fan and critic reviews, a higher Rotten Tomato score then any other DB movie. Marketing only helps a film to a degree but the film has to deliver on so may other things to get the fans coming back and watch multiple times which they are, I just think people are fishing for a reason to hate the movie because it’s not a 2D movie, there’s no Goku ,Vegeta, or Broly and yet the movie is doing well still.
I'm not talking about people being lukewarm on the quality of the movie, I mean in relation to it being released in theatres. Yes critically Super Hero has done well, and it's generally quite well liked but the excitement hasn't been there from fans who haven't seen it yet. It was the same case with Solo : A Star Wars Story, which even some hardcore fans didn't care much for, but those who seen it in theatres (as I did) liked it.
I can’t speak for the excitement of all fans but what I do know is that I’ve seen man, woman and kids go into the movie who have never seen DB/DBZ/DBS and have lefted amazed because they had a great time, So I think this movie is being driven by hardcore fans, casual fans and families.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:31 pm

Is there a site that has up to date numbers? Its weird that Mojo has stopped reporting numbers. It might even be making some money still in America. There is one theater around here that is still showing it once a day.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:50 am

As of 6/10/2022, Dragon Ball Super has generated $89.5 million in box office revenue. $71 million internationally and $18.5 million in Japan.

It really can't be understated how much the international audience dragged this movie from the gutter with how much it underperformed in Japan compared to the previous movies.

KingSailem

Post by KingSailem » Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:27 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:50 am As of 6/10/2022, Dragon Ball Super has generated $89.5 million in box office revenue. $71 million internationally and $18.5 million in Japan.

It really can't be understated how much the international audience dragged this movie from the gutter with how much it underperformed in Japan compared to the previous movies.

Gohan is not very popular in Japan neither is Piccolo. They are secondary characters compared to Goku and Vegeta thats why the movie didn’t perform as well. I mean it’s simple. Your literally missing 2 main characters lol