Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:04 pm

In Japan, Battle of Gods made ¥2.99 billion, Resurrection F made ¥3.74 billion and Broly made ¥4.00 billion.

Worldwide, Battle of Gods made $51.2 million, Resurrection F made $64.8 million and Broly made $124.6 million.

Super Hero comes out in a week. How well is it going to do? Who can say. There's no active series that its coming off of this time around. The movie doesn't even have much of a hook, it's not the first movie in 17 years, there's no big return of Frieza, no big return and also canon introduction of Broly, no new transformations, it's not focusing on the main characters etc.

It clearly doesn't seem to have the anticipation that Broly had worldwide I can't see it being nearly as successful as that. It should hopefully make more than Battle of Gods and Resurrection F worldwide however as it'll have a much stronger international push compared to those movies. In Japan it may not make as much as any of them yet though.

What also works against this movie is that the exchange rate is far worse. Broly's ¥4 billion in 2018 was the equivalent of around $36.3 million. In 2022 that's now only $31.3 million.

It's also not releasing in time for any kind of holiday this time around.

If it could fall in the same ¥3-4 billion range as the last movies and make a good $80 million worldwide then that's good enough. If it could somehow hit $100 million again that would be amazing but it's unlikely.

Below are the weekend and total figures for the movies in Japan for comparison. I'll add Super Hero's grosses to the mix as they come out.

Black = Battle of Gods
Purple = Resurrection F
Green = Broly
Red = Super Hero

Weekend 1: ¥684 million ($7.3 million)
Weekend 1: ¥960 million ($8.1 million)
Weekend 1: ¥812 million ($7.2 million) = Total: ¥1,050 million ($9.3 million)
Weekend 1: ¥670 million ($5.0 million)

Weekend 2: ¥424 million ($4.3 million) = Total: ¥1,772 million ($18.0 million)
Weekend 2: ¥466 million ($3.9 million) = Total: ¥1,833 million ($15.4 million)
Weekend 2: ¥419 million ($3.8 million) = Total: ¥2,037 million ($18.2 million)
Weekend 2: ¥300 million ($2.2 million) = Total: ¥1,274 million ($9.5 million)

Weekend 3: ¥228 million ($2.3 million) = Total: ¥2,201 million ($22.5 million)
Weekend 3: ¥299 million ($2.5 million) = Total: ¥2,602 million ($21.7 million)
Weekend 3: ¥297 million ($2.6 million) = Total: ¥2,660 million ($23.8 million)
Weekend 3: ¥232 million ($1.7 million) = Total: ¥1,639 million ($12.2 million)

Weekend 4: ¥145 million ($1.5 million) = Total: ¥2,469 million ($24.8 million)
Weekend 4: ¥126 million ($1.1 million) = Total: ¥3,281 million ($27.4 million)
Weekend 4: ¥167 million ($1.5 million) = Total: ¥3,354 million ($30.1 million)
Weekend 4: ¥154 million ($1.1 million) = Total: ¥1,903 million ($14.2 million)

Weekend 5: ¥95 million ($1.00 million) = Total: ¥2,668 million ($27.2 million)
Weekend 5: ¥106 million ($0.87 million) = Total: ¥3,430 million ($28.7 million)
Weekend 5: ¥115 million ($1.1 million) = Total: ¥3,638 million ($32.8 million)
Weekend 5: ¥120 million ($0.88 million) = Total: ¥2,091 million ($15.6 million)

Weekend 6: ¥82 million ($0.83 million) = Total: ¥2,875 million ($29.0 million)
Weekend 6: ¥60 million ($0.50 million) = Total: ¥3,530 million ($29.5 million)
Weekend 6: ¥69 million ($0.64 million) = Total: ¥3,752 million ($33.9 million)
Weekend 6: ¥72 million ($0.52 million) = Total: ¥2,214 million ($16.5 million)

Weekend 7: ¥19 million ($0.19 million) = Total: ¥2,920 million ($29.5 million)
Weekend 7: ¥41 million ($0.33 million) = Total: ¥3,590 million ($29.9 million)
Weekend 7: ¥46 million ($0.43 million) = Total: ¥3,837 million ($34.7 million)
Weekend 7: ¥44 million ($0.33 million) = Total: ¥2,324 million ($17.3 million)

Weekend 8: ¥20 million ($0.16 million) = Total: ¥3,630 million ($30.2 million)
Weekend 8: ¥29 million ($0.26 million) = Total: ¥3,891 million ($35.1 million)
Weekend 8: ¥26 million ($0.20 million) = Total: ¥2,392 million ($17.8 million)
Last edited by Xeno Goku Black on Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:48 pm, edited 22 times in total.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:43 pm

I think it will be between BoG and RoF, something like $60 million globally.
It hasn't been marketed well enough, the animation is entirely cg and there's generally not so much hype around it.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:14 pm

I think it's going to be worse than both ROF and BOG, at least in Japan. Internationally, I think the movie may be redeemed, as some Dragon Ball have starved of animated content from Toriyama and may come out in droves just to watch it.

But it has to be said that the promotion and marketing for this film have been awful on all accounts. A complete 180 compared to how much DBS Broly was hyped both domestically and internationally.

My brain tells me because of how poorly this film has been marketed internationally and how CG animated films in Japan have historically underperformed, I see this film doing $40 - 50 million when all is said and done.

My heart tells me that Dragon Ball fans will eat this film up out of desperation for new animated material that is coming from Toriyama himself, I see this film doing $100 - 90 million when all is said and done.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:55 pm

It'll be the first movie to sell 1 dragillion tickets!

It's hard to tell. I recall the only CGI anime films to make it to the top 50 were the two Stand by Me Doraemon films. Not sure how much marketing they had compared to Super Hero. It seems more likely it'll gross closer to BoG and RoF than to Broly.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:01 pm

Resurrection F and Broly's Japanese gross were close enough together that if it's going to fall below the one then it'll fall below the both.

There's a big gap between Battle of Gods and Resurrection F for it to land between. Really would not be good for this to go below that. This being CGI the budget is probably considerably more than the previous ones, it does not need to end up the lowest grossing.

Yes it's definitely not been marketed to the same level as Broly internationally. No Comicon panel this time. No dubbed trailers. Hardly any international release dates even announced.

But it should do better than Resurrection F. The success that Broly had should guarantee that Super Hero will release in more countries than Resurrection F did and have a wider release when it does.

Additionally Dragon Ball wasn't fully back by the time Resurrection F came out. There was just that taste from Battle of Gods, it was only just starting there. Now it's going a bit from its Broly peak but it's still there certainly more than than it was pre Super.

As long as they bother to release it in the same markets that Broly was released in then it should pass those earlier ones without too much bother.

The sheer amount of money that Broly made is likely why they were to willing to put in then increased money to make this one. They'd be a fool to not try and push it to make it worth it. Though so far....they haven't.

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:54 am

People have to stop comparing the promotion of this movie with the Broly one. They said Broly was special, they wanted to celebrate the 20th movie of the franchise, that's why then went all out for it.

If i had to guess, i think the movie will probably do Broly numbers, at least in japan. The market that worry me the most are France and USA because they really hate 3D anime movies.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:29 am

In Japan it's going to do well. Probably as good as Broly.

In the rest of the world it's probably going to do similar to Battle of Gods. It had the potential to be grand and reach as high as Ressurection F, but the marketing for it sucked.

To be fair, though, there's still plenty of time till the international release that they can pull in a bigger audience than what I'd expect it would be if the movie released today. I think it's playing in less theaters, though, so that cuts off some potential viewers.

The movie will do good. The last weeks, since actually they've started marketing things, shows people excited for the movie. They just had to be reminded of it.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:59 am

I'm betting on this movie doing very poorly in most parts of the world. Not only has the promotion for it been.. lackluster to say the least, it's also NOT a Goku movie, it's a Gohan a movie, who isn't anywhere near as popular as Goku thanks to him losing a lot of relevancy after his battle with Cell. The drastic animation change will also likely make a lot of people uninterested in checking this out. The fact that it's a Dragon Ball movie is why I doubt it isn't going to bomb, but I'm more than sure it won't do anywhere even near as well as Broly, BoG or RoF.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:18 pm

Draconic wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:29 amIn the rest of the world it's probably going to do similar to Battle of Gods. It had the potential to be grand and reach as high as Ressurection F, but the marketing for it sucked.
Battle of Gods only made $20 million outside of Japan. Resurrection F did $34 million.

This might not do the international figures of Broly, which was $87 million, but it's not only going to make $20 million outside of Japan. That's over three quarters less.

Broly made over $30 million in US alone. Even if it was half as successful as Broly internationally that's still considerably more than Resurrection F.

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:26 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:59 am I'm betting on this movie doing very poorly in most parts of the world. Not only has the promotion for it been.. lackluster to say the least, it's also NOT a Goku movie, it's a Gohan a movie, who isn't anywhere near as popular as Goku thanks to him losing a lot of relevancy after his battle with Cell. The drastic animation change will also likely make a lot of people uninterested in checking this out. The fact that it's a Dragon Ball movie is why I doubt it isn't going to bomb, but I'm more than sure it won't do anywhere even near as well as Broly, BoG or RoF.
BOG and ROF had litteraly 0 promotion outside of Japan and no real release except in a few theaters. There is literally no doubt the movie will perform better than BOG and ROF. I don't get how someone can seriously say otherwise.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:12 am

MeMeDZEHH wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:26 pm
DestructoDisc wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:59 am I'm betting on this movie doing very poorly in most parts of the world. Not only has the promotion for it been.. lackluster to say the least, it's also NOT a Goku movie, it's a Gohan a movie, who isn't anywhere near as popular as Goku thanks to him losing a lot of relevancy after his battle with Cell. The drastic animation change will also likely make a lot of people uninterested in checking this out. The fact that it's a Dragon Ball movie is why I doubt it isn't going to bomb, but I'm more than sure it won't do anywhere even near as well as Broly, BoG or RoF.
BOG and ROF had litteraly 0 promotion outside of Japan and no real release except in a few theaters. There is literally no doubt the movie will perform better than BOG and ROF. I don't get how someone can seriously say otherwise.
Exactly, Battle of Gods and Resurrection F did well under those circumstances, and Super Hero likely will too. The only difference is that when Resurrection F hit theatres it was before Super had hit its stride internationally with most dubs (English included) not being available at that point. I distinctly remember talking to fans at the Irish premier of Super Broly that were unaware Resurrection F was screened here as it had a very limited run, Super Hero will likely be extended to a degree, even if its not as much as Super Broly.

Yes you can argue Resurrection F had Freeza and Goku as the lead, but I think Super Hero will make up those losses from kids that watched it on TV, and fans in general being more aware since Super was a thing.

I could see this movie doing $70-90 million worldwide when all is said and done.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:11 pm

Gets even worse for this movie as the exchange rate has just progressively got worse to the point that now ¥4 billion is now only $29.7 million.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:09 pm

a little over 1 million domestically in Japan (as much as the last sailor moon movie did) & thats being generous

The fact this reheated leftovers of the android saga made on a PS4 developer kit will turn even a small profit is an actual miracle the Vatican should seriously consider recognizing officially.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:21 pm

The fact that this movie is being released while there’s are new Top Gun and Jurassic World movies in theaters strikes me as unfortunate timing. It might’ve been better off with that April release.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:45 am

Well at least in Japan Jurassic World doesn't open until the end of July so it can stay clear of that but Top Gun is doing really well there.

Well in any case we should know soon enough. I'll be checking a site called Mimorin for ticket sales as that updates every 20 minutes. It only covers a certain percentage of all tickets but for comparisons sake on the same site...

Broly

Friday - 110,000
Saturday - 193,000
Sunday - 214,000

So those are the numbers with which Super Hero has to compete. How well it does in comparison gives a good idea where this movie is going to go.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:55 am

Oh boy, this topic is finally here 8)
I wish all the best for the DB franchise :angel: but I sure would love to see some plot twists on this battlefield, too :twisted:

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:40 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:01 pm Resurrection F and Broly's Japanese gross were close enough together that if it's going to fall below the one then it'll fall below the both.
Now that you mention it i have a theory that although Broly made 100 million world wide interally in Toei Animations eyes it was a considered a either a failure or waste of time since in Japan it didnt make anywhere close to what its competition does in regards to anime movies showing in Japanese theaters which is where the box office matters most. I mean the fact that movie and Res F is that close should tell you something when both movies are worlds apart in terms of effort put in.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:09 am

Well as far as movies based on anime series go Broly did make more than the likes of Pokémon, My Hero Academia, Naruto etc. It didn't make as much as the One Piece movie but I can't recall any others around the time except for say Doraemon.

It depends how much value they place on the international figures and when 70% of that movies box office came from that then you'd think they'd care.

Otherwise if they were only bothered with Japan and considering the increased budget Broly had and that it came off of Super whereas Resurrection F came out before it and Broly only made 7% more then it's not much really.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:16 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:40 amNow that you mention it i have a theory that although Broly made 100 million world wide interally in Toei Animations eyes it was a considered a either a failure or waste of time since in Japan it didnt make anywhere close to what its competition does in regards to anime movies showing in Japanese theaters which is where the box office matters most. I mean the fact that movie and Res F is that close should tell you something when both movies are worlds apart in terms of effort put in.
Toriyama did mention Broly's overseas popularity so it seems like they expected it to perform better than the other two internationally. I'm pretty sure it's still Toei's highest grossing film and doesn't have to beat all the competition to be considered a success. If we look at only "battle shonen" films, it's the third highest grossing after Mugen Train and Jujutsu Kaisen: 0 which both came out after Broly. It would be fifth if Pokemon counts.