Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:39 pm

It's not like ¥2.5 billion is bad. It's almost on par with the highest grossing Naruto movie and that was a huge title.

They'd know as well that missed the holiday weekend and the lack of anime would cause it to see a dip.

nonono

Post by nonono » Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:46 pm

Mr_CINDER wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:34 am I am very happy that the movie is doing very well globally but Sadly it failed where it mattered. In Japan. We already know Toei is ran by out of touch old dudes and so when they see Japan's pitiful numbers they won't even look globally. I feel this movie is already dead tbh
i have to disagree
they will care about worldwide numbers because it means money for them

What happens if the movie is a huge success in Japan and wordwide nobody cares?
i dont think they want that either

the fact this movie was number 1 on the US is pretty huge imo
it just proves DB still has a very active fanbase, especially in US and South america

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:36 pm

Monday gross - $1.5 million.

Total - $22.6 million

Worldwide - $53.1 million.

About what I expected if not a bit more. It's not even a bad drop, Beast dropped more. Tuesday usually sees an increase. Based on JJK and MHA this movie kinda needs to be at $33 million come Sunday if it's got a chance at $40 million total.

A couple more overseas markets.

UAE opened to $70,000. Broly opened to $120,000. Resurrection F only did $96,000 total.

Colombia opened to $540,000. Broly opened to $1.49 million so that's down quite a lot. It is however more than Resurrection F's $388,000.

Issei189
Beyond Newbie

Post by Issei189 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:20 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:39 pm It's not like ¥2.5 billion is bad. It's almost on par with the highest grossing Naruto movie and that was a huge title.

They'd know as well that missed the holiday weekend and the lack of anime would cause it to see a dip.
Do you think it would reached ¥ 3 billion atleast if it was released on its OG Holiday week run ?

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:54 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:39 pm It's not like ¥2.5 billion is bad. It's almost on par with the highest grossing Naruto movie and that was a huge title.

I am not saying its bad but the naruto movie was released long time ago but since then anime movies performing much more well and every new shonen movies are breaking records by that comparison its not good look at all.I expected(when announced) the new DB movie to rake in atleast 200 milion.This movie may not have any theme song but I found a proper fitting theme for this and the current situation of DB https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJxCcCEobNs

KingSailem

Post by KingSailem » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:48 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:54 am

I am not saying its bad but the naruto movie was released long time ago but since then anime movies performing much more well and every new shonen movies are breaking records by that comparison its not good look at all.I expected(when announced) the new DB movie to rake in atleast 200 milion.This movie may not have any theme song but I found a proper fitting theme for this and the current situation of DB https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJxCcCEobNs
Your just one of those people who have expectations beyond what is reasonable, in a way your similar to Marvel fans, you have to understand that this movie is missing 2 of the most iconic characters, and is the first CGI movie for Dragonball. The fact that this movie is getting money at all is incredible, it’s over BoG and soon RoF that great. The critic and fan scores are better than all the other movies, it’s broke records, Crunchyroll even put out a statement praising the movie. I mean that’s a win. They’ve already said there’s more DB coming in the future so I think Toei, Sony, Crunchyroll are good.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:39 am

KingSailem wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:48 am Your just one of those people who have expectations beyond what is reasonable, in a way your similar to Marvel fans, you have to understand that this movie is missing 2 of the most iconic characters, and is the first CGI movie for Dragonball. The fact that this movie is getting money at all is incredible, it’s over BoG and soon RoF that great. The critic and fan scores are better than all the other movies, it’s broke records, Crunchyroll even put out a statement praising the movie. I mean that’s a win. They’ve already said there’s more DB coming in the future so I think Toei, Sony, Crunchyroll are good.
May be you are right all the recent marvel movies were also underperformed, But atleast they marketed those movies by going above and beyond(Like Disney do ofcourse), but in this case Toei didnt even bother to shell out any money for the marketing and promotion, its like they didnt even care, all the focus are on One piece.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:12 am

Issei189 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:20 amDo you think it would reached ¥ 3 billion atleast if it was released on its OG Holiday week run ?
Potentially. The movie has made $2.49 million and sold 1.77 million tickets.

It would have needed to have sold 2.14 million to have reached ¥3 billion.

So it's really a question of did Super Hero lose 370,000 tickets by not releasing in front of that Golden Week? Maybe.

KingSailem

Post by KingSailem » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:20 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:39 am
KingSailem wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:48 am Your just one of those people who have expectations beyond what is reasonable, in a way your similar to Marvel fans, you have to understand that this movie is missing 2 of the most iconic characters, and is the first CGI movie for Dragonball. The fact that this movie is getting money at all is incredible, it’s over BoG and soon RoF that great. The critic and fan scores are better than all the other movies, it’s broke records, Crunchyroll even put out a statement praising the movie. I mean that’s a win. They’ve already said there’s more DB coming in the future so I think Toei, Sony, Crunchyroll are good.
May be you are right all the recent marvel movies were also underperformed, But atleast they marketed those movies by going above and beyond(Like Disney do ofcourse), but in this case Toei didnt even bother to shell out any money for the marketing and promotion, its like they didnt even care, all the focus are on On
There you go again the marketing, it’s a circle with you, one minute it’s the CGI, the next marketing, next it hasn’t made enough in Japan “where it counts” according to you. At the this point your coming off like a troll that wanted the movie to fail, which it hasn’t. If nothing is good enough for you then just make your own manga. You don’t know how much they spent neither do I but Crunchyroll came out and said they tried to market the movie differently. Even with all that the film still has made money, still was #1, it’s no point for the continued whining. But don’t say people don’t care because they didn’t have to release the movie.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:34 am

Unless the executives are out-of-touch to a ridiculous degree, their expectations shouldn't be that high. Certainly out of the Broly movie range.

- No anime for years to keep the franchise in casual audience consciousness.
- CGI animation after praise for the previous movie looks.
- Post-pandemic(arguably still a pandemic going on), I bet a lot of people prefer to wait to see it in the safe comfort of their homes.

Out of Japan
- Spoilers. There's a thing called the internet that likely kept a lot of people of spending money on this movie.

I'm actually shocked how well it's performing in the US, which says a lot about people appreciating the focus in characters not named Goku and Vegeta.

I left out marketing because that's on them. They thought keeping secrecy was a winning recipe, looking at Japan, probably wasn't.

I think the movie is doing pretty alright. If it had a Worldwide release the numbers would probably be a lot bigger. How hard can it be?

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:22 am

I still think any underperformance is still largely down to the fact that this movie had no real selling point, a hook.

If you were to summarise briefly the last four movies, Super Hero is the one that just sounds like it would bring in the least amount of viewers.

That the movie being CGI, a controversial matter as is, was probably the most talked about thing leading up to the movie kinda says a lot.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:01 am

KingSailem wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:20 am There you go again the marketing, it’s a circle with you, one minute it’s the CGI, the next marketing, next it hasn’t made enough in Japan “where it counts” according to you. At the this point your coming off like a troll that wanted the movie to fail, which it hasn’t. If nothing is good enough for you then just make your own manga. You don’t know how much they spent neither do I but Crunchyroll came out and said they tried to market the movie differently. Even with all that the film still has made money, still was #1, it’s no point for the continued whining. But don’t say people don’t care because they didn’t have to release the movie.
I am not a troll and I am not wanted this movie to fail but thats just plain lame excuse "if you dont like it make your own stuff", why I mentioned marketing and promotion? and why am I circling around it? because these are a core part for any MOVIE TO SUCCEED, and again I am sorry but the ammount this movie made in japan shows that DB is clearly not popular anymore or maybe people are moved on thats why they didnt have enough faith in this movie to succeed in the first place but what about the international market? they knew damm well HOW much popular DB is worldwide but they didnt care otherwise the marketing would have been far better. You can say I am trying to justify and want to understand why are they treating a Multi Bilion dolar franchise this way and in the process I am getting confused a little because this is truly bizzare to me. I am not whining I am just stating the facts here , DB is THE biggest shonen jump property, but when it comes to movies it seems other shonen movies performing HUGELY better than what current DB movie achived thats it.

KingSailem

Post by KingSailem » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:32 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:01 am
KingSailem wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:20 am There you go again the marketing, it’s a circle with you, one minute it’s the CGI, the next marketing, next it hasn’t made enough in Japan “where it counts” according to you. At the this point your coming off like a troll that wanted the movie to fail, which it hasn’t. If nothing is good enough for you then just make your own manga. You don’t know how much they spent neither do I but Crunchyroll came out and said they tried to market the movie differently. Even with all that the film still has made money, still was #1, it’s no point for the continued whining. But don’t say people don’t care because they didn’t have to release the movie.
I am not a troll and I am not wanted this movie to fail but thats just plain lame excuse "if you dont like it make your own stuff", why I mentioned marketing and promotion? and why am I circling around it? because these are a core part for any MOVIE TO SUCCEED, and again I am sorry but the ammount this movie made in japan shows that DB is clearly not popular anymore or maybe people are moved on thats why they didnt have enough faith in this movie to succeed in the first place but what about the international market? they knew damm well HOW much popular DB is worldwide but they didnt care otherwise the marketing would have been far better. You can say I am trying to justify and want to understand why are they treating a Multi Bilion dolar franchise this way and in the process I am getting confused a little because this is truly bizzare to me. I am not whining I am just stating the facts here , DB is THE biggest shonen jump property, but when it comes to movies it seems other shonen movies performing HUGELY better than what current DB movie achived thats it.
I’m beginning to think your the one that hacked Toei lol, but I do understand that you want the franchise to thrive

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:04 pm

Mr_CINDER wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:01 amand again I am sorry but the ammount this movie made in japan shows that DB is clearly not popular anymore
It's still currently the 16th highest grossing movie of the year in Japan. It's made more money than Hollywood blockbusters like Doctor Strange 2, Venom 2 and Lightyear.

Yeah it did drop 37.5% from Broly (will be less once it's finished entirely) but that movie did release just prior to the Christmas and then New Years Holidays.

Super Hero didn't get to have any of this. It released in June which is generally a poor month for movies over there.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:34 pm

KingSailem wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:32 am but I do understand that you want the franchise to thrive
Absolutely when this movie first announced(May 9th Goku day), I wanted this to surpass Demon slayer movie.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:39 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:04 pm It's still currently the 16th highest grossing movie of the year in Japan. It's made more money than Hollywood blockbusters like Doctor Strange 2, Venom 2 and Lightyear.

Yeah it did drop 37.5% from Broly (will be less once it's finished entirely) but that movie did release just prior to the Christmas and then New Years Holidays.

Super Hero didn't get to have any of this. It released in June which is generally a poor month for movies over there.
so the One piece movie got the advantage of golden week?

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:29 pm

One Piece got Obon Festival.

Battle of Gods, Resurrection F and Broly all opened in time for a major holiday. Super Hero was the only one that didn't. It was meant to but the hack stopped that happening.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:29 pm

I’m glad to see more people mentioning the date change. That undoubtedly had an effect on the film’s performance.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:01 pm

Tuesday gross - $1.57 million

Total - $24.2 million

Worldwide - $54.7 million

Most movies increased 30-40% today but Super Hero only increased by 4% but again this was what I expected as Demon Slayer did the same. MHA decreased a few percent so a decent sign.

Already not far off from Broly. It will drop tomorrow but hopefully not much below $1.3 million.

It'll be passing Resurrection F worldwide by Sunday.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:43 pm

This is the first DB movie to be #1 at the box office. Unlike DBE, the film has better word of mouth.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/