Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:57 am

Friday saw a good increase today. Up 42% from Thursday. Above Tuesday too. Looks like it could be around ¥50 million for a total of around ¥930-935 million.

The weekend is next. Battle of Gods dropped 38%, Resurrection F dropped 51% and
Broly dropped 48%. Though because one opened directly before a holiday and the other was part of a three day weekend then Resurrection F's the best comparison there.

Considering Resurrection F opened so much higher and therefore had much more room to fall then Super Hero could do with a below 50% drop.

A ¥350 million second weekend would make for a drop similar to that of Broly. That would be fine.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:12 am

Issei189 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:44 am Can you tell us if the movie is doing better than BOG in comparison based on these estimates ?
It won't be doing as well no. Battle of Gods would have been at ¥1.35 billion by the Friday. Whereas Super Hero is around ¥935 million.

It's not all a fair comparison though because the Monday to Friday after Battle of Gods opened was Spring Week so all the kids were off so the grosses were massively boosted.
Skar wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:22 amDo we know the budget for Super Hero yet?
I have no idea. Broly cost $8.5 million. I initially thought that this being CGI combined with the fact that Broly was so profitable that you'd wonder why the follow up would be made for cheaper would give this higher budget. Though some seem to think that CGI is a cheaper option.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:05 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:12 am
Issei189 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:44 am Can you tell us if the movie is doing better than BOG in comparison based on these estimates ?
It won't be doing as well no. Battle of Gods would have been at ¥1.35 billion by the Friday. Whereas Super Hero is around ¥935 million.

It's not all a fair comparison though because the Monday to Friday after Battle of Gods opened was Spring Week so all the kids were off so the grosses were massively boosted.
Skar wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:22 amDo we know the budget for Super Hero yet?
I have no idea. Broly cost $8.5 million. I initially thought that this being CGI combined with the fact that Broly was so profitable that you'd wonder why the follow up would be made for cheaper would give this higher budget. Though some seem to think that CGI is a cheaper option.
In Japan, CGI is traditionally more expensive because they didn’t make the investment early. Like Toei’s most expensive movie was CGI that bombed.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:29 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:12 amI have no idea. Broly cost $8.5 million. I initially thought that this being CGI combined with the fact that Broly was so profitable that you'd wonder why the follow up would be made for cheaper would give this higher budget. Though some seem to think that CGI is a cheaper option.
I do wonder where that idea came from. The 25 most expensive animated movies from Hollywood were all CGI. In anime, the most expensive non-Ghibli films were also CGI and one of those was Toei's most expensive film. I don't know where the idea that CGI is cheaper originated unless it's like using technology from the early 2000s. Digimon X-Evolution came out in 2005 and had a budget of 2.5 million which is higher than most anime films.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:51 pm

Skar wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:29 pm I do wonder where that idea came from. The 25 most expensive animated movies from Hollywood were all CGI. In anime, the most expensive non-Ghibli films were also CGI and one of those was Toei's most expensive film. I don't know where the idea that CGI is cheaper originated unless it's like using technology from the early 2000s. Digimon X-Evolution came out in 2005 and had a budget of 2.5 million which is higher than most anime films.
Most of it come from bias against the media from animation fans and another part comes from the influx of cheap CGI films and series. Like people to this day hates Pixar since they see them as responsible for the death of hand-drawn animated movies.

That and CGI can be cheaper than hand-drawn animation, mostly because they're less people these days trained in hand-drawing, but that is only after a lot of early investment. Like those rigs, backgrounds, and assets don't make themselves.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:15 pm

HeroR wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:51 pmMost of it come from bias against the media from animation fans and another part comes from the influx of cheap CGI films and series. Like people to this day hates Pixar since they see them as responsible for the death of hand-drawn animated movies.

That and CGI can be cheaper than hand-drawn animation, mostly because they're less people these days trained in hand-drawing, but that is only after a lot of early investment. Like those rigs, backgrounds, and assets don't make themselves.
Yeah I've only heard it being cheaper for a lower budget and quality CGI show. I didn't know of any CGI film series that had a lower budget after the first film despite using similar models. I heard it being said Super Hero was CGI because it was cheaper but all other examples point to it likely being more expensive than Broly. I would be surprised if it ends up cheaper than Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary which had a similar budget to Broly but not that major of a release.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:31 am

So does anyone know what is the consensus so far from the japanese fandom? Are they liking the movie? Any critics?
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Guts001

Post by Guts001 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:42 am

Man, that delay was pretty harmful to this movie's success compared to its predecessors. Don't get me wrong, it's still making a lot of money but it could be doing better. I'm only talking about Japan, I hope it will do much better internationally.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:31 am

FortuneSSJ wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:31 am So does anyone know what is the consensus so far from the japanese fandom? Are they liking the movie? Any critics?
in japan this movie's opening is lowest among the the other 3 recent DB movies so I am guessing they are not that thrilled about it.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:52 am

Saturday saw Mimorin ticket sales of 76,500. Around ¥143 million for a total of like ¥1.07-1.08 billion.

That's down 63.5% from last Saturday. Which is more than I had hoped. Resurrection F which again opened a lot higher and therefore had more room to fall dropped 60%. Broly dropped 55% but the drop would be deflated because it didn't open on a Saturday.

Resurrection F increased 24% for the Sunday and Broly increased by 31%. So Super Hero will increase tomorrow but it will need to do so by a lot more to make up for it.

If it increased the same as the others it would see a weekend gross of around ¥320-330 million. That high end would make for a 51% weekend drop, the same as Resurrection F.

I was hoping for ¥350 million.

Guts001

Post by Guts001 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:59 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:52 am Saturday saw Mimorin ticket sales of 76,500. Around ¥143 million for a total of like ¥1.07-1.08 billion.

That's down 63.5% from last Saturday. Which is more than I had hoped. Resurrection F which again opened a lot higher and therefore had more room to fall dropped 60%. Broly dropped 55% but the drop would be deflated because it didn't open on a Saturday.

Resurrection F increased 24% for the Sunday and Broly increased by 31%. So Super Hero will increase tomorrow but it will need to do so by a lot more to make up for it.

If it increased the same as the others it would see a weekend gross of around ¥320-330 million. That high end would make for a 51% weekend drop, the same as Resurrection F.

I was hoping for ¥350 million.
I wonder if the movie would have done better, had they revealed the new transformations ? I feel like TOEI over-corrected their marketing of this movie after the whole gogeta fiasco in DBS : Broly.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:33 am

It probably would have. I can understand that they may not have wanted to so it was a surprise, maybe expected it would gain some traction as word of mouth spread that there were new transformations.

Didn't really work that way though. Instead they were marketing a movie with no real hook when they could have created one.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:54 am

I wonder if they could switch it up now that it's been a week and show the transformations in the commercials ?

Guts001

Post by Guts001 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:50 am

Michsi wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:54 am I wonder if they could switch it up now that it's been a week and show the transformations in the commercials ?
I think they won't reveal them until August at the earliest, which is weird as hell since a lot of people in the fandom already know about these transformations because of you know, the internet, might as well go full blast and advertise the hell out of them but what do I know. Tbh, it feels like TOEI aren't confident in their own movie, like they're setting themselves up to fail.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:17 pm

Guts001 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:50 am
Michsi wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:54 am I wonder if they could switch it up now that it's been a week and show the transformations in the commercials ?
I think they won't reveal them until August at the earliest, which is weird as hell since a lot of people in the fandom already know about these transformations because of you know, the internet, might as well go full blast and advertise the hell out of them but what do I know. Tbh, it feels like TOEI aren't confident in their own movie, like they're setting themselves up to fail.
That's what many think as well. It definitely feels that way with how the promotion for this movie went compared to the previous ones. Broly got me so hyped and I even wasn't that interested in the concept behind that movie. With Super Hero, it seems they only picked up the pace with commercials and stuff in the week before the premier.

There's also the thing with Gohan and Piccolo being the leads. DBS was terrible for Piccolo's character and not that great for Gohan either, so for the newer fans whose prime contact to the franchise was Super they have no reason to be thrilled to see two side characters as the focus.

Guts001

Post by Guts001 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:28 pm

Michsi wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:17 pm
Guts001 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:50 am
That's what many think as well. It definitely feels that way with how the promotion for this movie went compared to the previous ones. Broly got me so hyped and I even wasn't that interested in the concept behind that movie. With Super Hero, it seems they only picked up the pace with commercials and stuff in the week before the premier.

There's also the thing with Gohan and Piccolo being the leads. DBS was terrible for Piccolo's character and not that great for Gohan either, so for the newer fans whose prime contact to the franchise was Super they have no reason to be thrilled to see two side characters as the focus.
I just hope they won't stop experimenting and taking risks, all things considered the movie is still doing well.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:44 pm

Estimates on a Japanese website say the movie is at ¥1,077 million after 9 days. This puts it slightly ahead of Broly's ¥1,050 after 3 days.

I'm also told that Sunday doesn't increase as much as it once did and so a 55-60% drop for Super Hero is possible.

Super Hero having the lowest opening along with possibly the worst multiplier should mean that ¥3 billion is out of the question.

The question that would stand then is if it can even rank as 4th in the franchise ahead of certain 90's movies.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/anime ... -franchise

1. "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" (20th/December 14, 2018/3.8 billion yen)

2. "Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F'" (19th/April 18, 2015/3.74 billion yen)

3. "Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods" (18th/March 30, 2013/2.99 billion yen)

4. "Dragon Ball Z: The Return of Cooler" (9th/March 7, 1992/2.72 billion yen)

5. "Dragon Ball Z: Super Android 13!" (10th/July 11, 1992/2.55 billion yen)

6. "Dragon Ball Z: Broly – Second Coming" (13th/March 12, 1994/2.47 billion yen)

7. "Dragon Ball Z: Cooler's Revenge" (8th/July 20, 1991/2.38 billion yen )

8. "Dragon Ball Z: Broly – The Legendary Super Saiyan" (11th/March 6, 1993/2.33 billion yen)

9. "Dragon Ball Z: Bojack Unbound" (12th/July 10, 1993/2.23 billion yen)

10. "Dragon Ball Z: Lord Slug" (7th/March 9, 1991/2.21 billion yen)

You never know where it could fall there, could go below 6th yet, maybe lower.

KingSailem

Post by KingSailem » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:21 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:44 pm Estimates on a Japanese website say the movie is at ¥1,077 million after 9 days. This puts it slightly ahead of Broly's ¥1,050 after 3 days.

I'm also told that Sunday doesn't increase as much as it once did and so a 55-60% drop for Super Hero is possible.

Super Hero having the lowest opening along with possibly the worst multiplier should mean that ¥3 billion is out of the question.

The question that would stand then is if it can even rank as 4th in the franchise ahead of certain 90's movies.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/anime ... -franchise

1. "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" (20th/December 14, 2018/3.8 billion yen)

2. "Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F'" (19th/April 18, 2015/3.74 billion yen)

3. "Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods" (18th/March 30, 2013/2.99 billion yen)

4. "Dragon Ball Z: The Return of Cooler" (9th/March 7, 1992/2.72 billion yen)

5. "Dragon Ball Z: Super Android 13!" (10th/July 11, 1992/2.55 billion yen)

6. "Dragon Ball Z: Broly – Second Coming" (13th/March 12, 1994/2.47 billion yen)

7. "Dragon Ball Z: Cooler's Revenge" (8th/July 20, 1991/2.38 billion yen )

8. "Dragon Ball Z: Broly – The Legendary Super Saiyan" (11th/March 6, 1993/2.33 billion yen)

9. "Dragon Ball Z: Bojack Unbound" (12th/July 10, 1993/2.23 billion yen)

10. "Dragon Ball Z: Lord Slug" (7th/March 9, 1991/2.21 billion yen)

You never know where it could fall there, could go below 6th yet, maybe lower.
It’ll finish in the top 4

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:29 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:44 pm Estimates on a Japanese website say the movie is at ¥1,077 million after 9 days. This puts it slightly ahead of Broly's ¥1,050 after 3 days.
Wait, 9 days? Didn't it come out last Saturday? I just read somewhere that it did 1,08 as of June 18th.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:19 pm

Oh sorry it's 8 days isn't it. ¥1.077 billion in 8 days.
KingSailem wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:21 pmIt’ll finish in the top 4
At this rate I'm really not so sure. If you look at the figures on the first post. Resurrection F and Broly's final gross were double it's gross after the second weekend.

Super Hero is looking to be around ¥1.25 billion after its second weekend so at the same rate would finish around ¥2.5 billion aka Broly Second Comings gross.

But Resurrection F and Broly had holidays and Super Hero doesn't so you'd think that ¥2.5 billion would be a max amount meaning it could go below 7th and 8th.

We will see though but I could see it missing the top 5.