Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:18 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:09 am Looks like the actual gross is in

Super Hero opening weekend - ¥670 million with roughly 500,000 tickets sold.

Yeah that's the lowest opening yet. Disappointing, it's almost ¥300 million lower than Resurrection F.

Movie won't hit ¥3 billion it seems.
It's up to the international market to rescue this movie, it seems. But the leaks aren't going to do the film any favours...

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:59 am

I don't know what the budget is meant to be. Who knows what it's gonna real worldwide. Broly cost $8.5 million. This could cost less.

It'll still make tens of millions Id imagine so should be alright.

Also ¥670 million isn't the actual after all. It's based on the actual admissions but the real total will only be different by a little bit.

So weekdays...

Monday, Resurrection F saw a 46,000 and Broly saw a 39,000 on Mimorin.

As of 7:45pm Super Hero is at 32,000. Might stay at that. Won't pass 33,000. It's a slightly better Sunday to Monday drop than Resurrection F.

Also seeing as now know that 357,000 tickets on Mimorin for the weekend equaled roughly ¥670 million it means we can make decent estimates of the days.

So Monday should have grossed around ¥60 million.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:05 am

I don't think that the "lesson" they are going to learn with the movir translates to "no CGI and no focus on side characters". Broly was a huge sucess, with 2D animation, focus on Goku/Vegeta and tons of fan service and yet the lesson that they learned wasn't "let's just make movies like this now", hece why we have Super Hero.

It all depends on what Toriyama wants to do honestly, and he said that this time he wanted a slice of life movie. For the next one it could be the same thing.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:18 am

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:05 am I don't think that the "lesson" they are going to learn with the movir translates to "no CGI and no focus on side characters". Broly was a huge sucess, with 2D animation, focus on Goku/Vegeta and tons of fan service and yet the lesson that they learned wasn't "let's just make movies like this now", hece why we have Super Hero.

It all depends on what Toriyama wants to do honestly, and he said that this time he wanted a slice of life movie. For the next one it could be the same thing.
Pretty much. Modern Dragon Ball is basically 'whatever Toriyama want'. Because if it was up to Toei, do you really think they would make a movie where Goku, Vegeta, and Broly do nothing while Piccolo carries most of the movie? They stopped doing that after Bio-Broly.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:06 am

Monday actually saw a bit of a late night boost, doesn't look like it drops off the same as a Sunday.

Looks like it's gonna end at almost 38,000 instead. So closer to ¥70 million. Maybe a bit more because ticket prices do vary, I think it averaged higher on the weekdays with Broly.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:54 am

Black = Battle of Gods
Purple = Resurrection F
Green = Broly
Red = Super Hero

Weekend 1: ¥684 million ($7.3 million)
Weekend 1: ¥960 million ($8.1 million)
Weekend 1: ¥812 million ($7.2 million) = Total: ¥1,050 million ($9.3 million)
Weekend 1: ¥670 million ($5.0 million)

We'll see how it does throughout the week and then the second weekend. It really needs hold better than the others if its gonna stay close to Battle of Gods.

In the second weekend the movies drops were

Battle of Gods - 38%
Resurrection F - 51.4%
Broly - 48.4%

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:58 am

It’s kind of crazy that they didn’t decide to do a simultaneous release for this film after Broly did so well internationally. That movie only released one month after it came out in Japan. The two month wait for Super Hero sucks big time, especially with all these spoilers flying around everywhere. I’m crossing my fingers that there’s some kind of early subbed premiere here in Australia.

It sucks that the film isn’t killing it in Japan, especially after seeing how well Demon Slayer: Mugen Train and Jujutsu Kaisen: 0 performed. I guess that’s what happens when you release nothing between this and Broly. The Heroes web series, mobile games and monthly manga aren’t enough to keep people invested.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:57 am

Tuesday drop percentage appears like it's going to be inbetween Broly and Resurrection F's. Appears to be about a 37% drop from Monday which is expected.

Makes for around ¥40-45 million for the day. Total of around ¥785 million.

Wednesday saw a 20% and 15% increase respectively for Resurrection F and Broly.

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:58 am

Would it be unfair to compare with the previous movies? Super Hero got postponed due to the Toei hack. And now the release date no longer falls in Japan long holidays, but the previous movies did

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:53 am

sigmasigma wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:58 am Would it be unfair to compare with the previous movies? Super Hero got postponed due to the Toei hack. And now the release date no longer falls in Japan long holidays, but the previous movies did
nah besides we cant make up excuses on why its not doing well when the reason is obvious.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:28 pm

It'll likely be a bit of an unfair comparison by the end of the run because it's missing the holiday week. All three previous movies had one and this was meant to as well so it clearly benefits it.

But at the same time Resurrection F didn't open on a holiday week so it's opening comparison is fair and Super Hero did open a good chunk less. That said Resurrection F did have the largest theatre count of them all and IMAX was given a bigger push for that one that raised the gross.

Even if this did have a holiday week though it wasn't likely to make Resurrection F and Broly money. CGI, little Goku and Vegeta, no strong hook were gonna make that difficult.

But by no means whatsoever is this some kind of bomb or a flop. You can call it a disappointment if you compare it to the previous movies but this is still looking to make probably around $20 million in Japan alone.

There's a lot of Hollywood blockbusters that would love that amount. Doctor Strange 2 didn't make that amount. Venom 2, Matrix 4, The Batman not even ¥2 billion.

The budgets for these aren't high and the overseas gross will be significant so it's not losing money.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:54 pm

https://www.ign.com/articles/dragon-bal ... ced-august

"The movie will play in 2,300 US theaters, as well as selected IMAX locations."

This is a really significant number. Broly was in 1,200 theatres. Twice the amount of theatres even with the possible less interest should help to close any gap some.

It lists release dates for other countries though there's already a thread for that but otherwise August is gonna be a big month for this.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:51 pm

I wonder why it took more time to get an international release for this film than it did for DBS Broly? You'd think with how stupidly successful DBS Broly was internationally, Toei would push for a much sooner international release or perhaps even a simultaneous release. I just hope there's still enough intrigue in the movie for the next two months to really push this film's numbers to some close to Ressurection F level of box office success.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:35 am

As previously mentioned Resurrection F saw a 20% increase from Tuesday to Wednesday. Broly increased by 15%.

Super Hero looks to have had a 35% increase. So that's good. About ¥60-65 million then perhaps around ¥850 million in total.

Can't really say much on it though because it might mean that on Thursday it will drop much harder to make up for it.

Resurrection F dropped 33% on Thursday and Broly dropped 16%. In both cases Thursday was the lowest of the week so Super Hero could fall more tomorrow that it increased today to balance that out.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:07 am

Movie did see a sharp drop down as I thought would likely happen. Down 44%, so roughly ¥35 million for the day. Total around ¥880-885 million.

Resurrection F and Broly increased by 26% and 24% respectively on the Friday. Let's see if Super Hero can do more.

Should hit ¥1 billion on Saturday which will be it's 8th day. Resurrection F and Broly hit that figure in 3 days.

Very early guess that Super Hero will be around ¥1.3 billion after the second weekend.

KingSailem

Post by KingSailem » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:53 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:07 am Movie did see a sharp drop down as I thought would likely happen. Down 44%, so roughly ¥35 million for the day. Total around ¥880-885 million.

Resurrection F and Broly increased by 26% and 24% respectively on the Friday. Let's see if Super Hero can do more.

Should hit ¥1 billion on Saturday which will be it's 8th day. Resurrection F and Broly hit that figure in 3 days.

Very early guess that Super Hero will be around ¥1.3 billion after the second weekend.
Where do you find the numbers for DBSSH box office?

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:20 am

The daily estimates I've been coming up with are just based on the ticket sales that update here.

https://mimorin2014.blog.fc2.com/

This site also gives an estimate of the total each day.

https://taroimovie.com/dragonball/

Currently ¥848 million. So estimating the same. Probably based off the same thing I'm doing.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:22 am

Do we know the budget for Super Hero yet? Last CGI film by Toei was Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary in 2014 and had a budget of about $8 million. I assume Super Hero would be higher.

KingSailem

Post by KingSailem » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:10 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:20 am The daily estimates I've been coming up with are just based on the ticket sales that update here.

Currently ¥848 million. So estimating the same. Probably based off the same thing I'm doing.

Thanks for the links.

Issei189
Beyond Newbie

Post by Issei189 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:44 am

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:20 am The daily estimates I've been coming up with are just based on the ticket sales that update here.

Can you tell us if the movie is doing better than BOG in comparison based on these estimates ?