Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Post by sangofe » Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:03 am

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:01 pm
StevenPiccolo wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:01 pm
ClutchBangstrip wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:22 pm I now think they put ALL of their marketing behind the One Piece film, because they knew Dragon Ball didn't need it. There's no way the lack of marketing WASN'T intentional, now.
I'm confused by this, I feel like if anything, One Piece would be the one that doesn't need marketing. I'm not super familiar with it, but I thought it was way more popular and would have been a hit regardless. Unless you're talking about marketing in places outside of Japan.

That's what I mean. They can rely on the rest of the planet to sell DB. If you take my 2nd paragraph into account, what this movie did was golden. It's almost as tho they got paid to market their own film.

One Piece was marketed heavily because it needs to do exceptional at home. It needs to make a global gross at home. Dragon Ball doesn't have that problem. They litteraly used sources they themselves get paid from to push a film and have that film do well.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Dragon Ball trended on several sites for several straight days for different reasons, right before the film dropped outside of Japan. Toei, in total, probably made far more money than what the box office numbers even said when you look at this project in total.
In a country like Norway it would have needed marketing; barely nobody knew it was coming out! Dragon Ball has never been on TV here. The re-release of the manga finished about a year ago. The only media that came out were the Big Green dvds that had surprisingly a norwegian dub, plus a sub done from the dub... There has never been any merchandise out here. The manga sales of Dragon Ball seem to have been popular so why the marketing has been so bad, I don't know. The marketing was a trailer in the cinéma - that had a translator error and a glaring spelling error. Quite horrible. Plus a facebook post on the manga publisher's site about "you can win free tickets for Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero!". That's it. I saw the movie twice - one time in 2D, another in 4dx. We were 5 in total during the first viewing. 4 during the second.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:51 am

Pretty impressive :shock:
The US coming in clutch lol. It will probably end up at $80-85 million worldwide then.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:01 am

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:01 pm That's what I mean. They can rely on the rest of the planet to sell DB. If you take my 2nd paragraph into account, what this movie did was golden. It's almost as tho they got paid to market their own film.

One Piece was marketed heavily because it needs to do exceptional at home. It needs to make a global gross at home. Dragon Ball doesn't have that problem. They litteraly used sources they themselves get paid from to push a film and have that film do well.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Dragon Ball trended on several sites for several straight days for different reasons, right before the film dropped outside of Japan. Toei, in total, probably made far more money than what the box office numbers even said when you look at this project in total.
I highly recomends you to check this out https://www.nfi.edu/film-marketing/#:~: ... 20a%20film. about why marketing and promotion important. Another thing I want to add Endgame the most anticipated movie of 2019 had marketing campaign of 200 million dollars like every disney movie does.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:32 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:01 am
ClutchBangstrip wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:01 pm That's what I mean. They can rely on the rest of the planet to sell DB. If you take my 2nd paragraph into account, what this movie did was golden. It's almost as tho they got paid to market their own film.

I highly recomends you to check this out https://www.nfi.edu/film-marketing/#:~: ... 20a%20film. about why marketing and promotion important. Another thing I want to add Endgame the most anticipated movie of 2019 had marketing campaign of 200 million dollars like every disney movie does.
The whole MCU was a marketing campaign for Endgame lol
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:59 pm

Mr_CINDER wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:01 am

Trust me, I know. But the numbers don't lie. They intentionally didn't market it well in a traditional sense and it's nearing 70 million, anyway.

Toei isn't obviously this bad, they clearly have something up their sleeve. They just proved they can win without Goku and Vegeta on top of moving the timeline "dangerously" close to the EoZ. This film, to me, is a prelude to something serious.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:23 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:59 pmTrust me, I know. But the numbers don't lie. They intentionally didn't market it well in a traditional sense and it's nearing 70 million, anyway.

Toei isn't obviously this bad, they clearly have something up their sleeve. They just proved they can win without Goku and Vegeta on top of moving the timeline "dangerously" close to the EoZ. This film, to me, is a prelude to something serious.
Do we have actual numbers for marketing costs of any anime film? I wondering if SH has proven to have less marketing than any of the anime films that grossed more than it.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:19 pm

Skar wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:23 pm
ClutchBangstrip wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:59 pmTrust me, I know. But the numbers don't lie. They intentionally didn't market it well in a traditional sense and it's nearing 70 million, anyway.

Do we have actual numbers for marketing costs of any anime film? I wondering if SH has proven to have less marketing than any of the anime films that grossed more than it.
No numbers, that I know of. Which is definitely unusual, especially at this point. They have been unusually quite about this film, ever since it was announced.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:31 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:19 pmNo numbers, that I know of. Which is definitely unusual, especially at this point. They have been unusually quite about this film, ever since it was announced.
I meant if we knew marketing costs of any anime film and not specifically SH. For Hollywood, it's usually an estimate of 1.5-2x their budget since they sometimes don't provide an actual number. I assume anime studios would be revealing it less often since I only found estimates for some major anime films I looked up.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:41 am

Super Hero has surpassed Broly domestically.

It's a credit to US and Canadian fans that even with such little promotion they can still make movies in this franchise smash hits (at least opening weekend) through their support.

In India, Super Hero opened to 500 theatres, was shown in Japanese, English and Hindi and has grossed Rs 13.4 crore, which works out about $1,679,432.72.

Worldwide, BoxOfficeMojo now reports a total of $70,042,582. It probably won't make much more than this, even if it opens in China (I say it will) but that's great for an anime movie.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:17 am

Is there a box office for Norway anywhere? The distributor didn't want to say how many tickets were sold when I asked. They claimed they couldn't disclose the number for whatever reason.

Issei189
Beyond Newbie

Post by Issei189 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:30 am

sangofe wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:17 am Is there a box office for Norway anywhere? The distributor didn't want to say how many tickets were sold when I asked. They claimed they couldn't disclose the number for whatever reason.
Yeah, The site Box Office Mojo has listed the grossing from Norway, but i don't know if they have updated it.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt14614892/

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:35 pm

Issei189 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:30 am
sangofe wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:17 am Is there a box office for Norway anywhere? The distributor didn't want to say how many tickets were sold when I asked. They claimed they couldn't disclose the number for whatever reason.
Yeah, The site Box Office Mojo has listed the grossing from Norway, but i don't know if they have updated it.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt14614892/
That's better than I feared. Edit : Jujutsu Kaisen 0 seems to have done over 3 x of Super Hero, and that hasn't had a Manga release here. If thèse numbers are right it's not good at all.

KingSailem

Post by KingSailem » Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:09 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:41 am Super Hero has surpassed Broly domestically.

It's a credit to US and Canadian fans that even with such little promotion they can still make movies in this franchise smash hits (at least opening weekend) through their support.

In India, Super Hero opened to 500 theatres, was shown in Japanese, English and Hindi and has grossed Rs 13.4 crore, which works out about $1,679,432.72.

Worldwide, BoxOfficeMojo now reports a total of $70,042,582. It probably won't make much more than this, even if it opens in China (I say it will) but that's great for an anime movie.
I don’t think they’ve added the Brazil numbers to the international gross yet, because it’s not showing on Box office Mojo. If that’s the case then DBSSH should be around 76 million and should be closing in on 80 million

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:35 pm

Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Edges Out Jujutsu Kaisen 0 as #4 All-Time Anime Film in U.S.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... .s/.189318

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:32 am

sigmasigma wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:35 pm Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Edges Out Jujutsu Kaisen 0 as #4 All-Time Anime Film in U.S.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... .s/.189318
And has a total of $77 million now. So it will most likely go beyond $80 million and can possibly reach $85 million.

Not bad at all.

Nevaeh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nevaeh » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:25 am

Smart companies dump all their money and attention on their most popular product. Look at Disney and Marvel. Or Apple and the iphone etc

Toei is just ass backwards in prioritizing everything not named Dragon ball

KingSailem

Post by KingSailem » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:21 am

Nevaeh wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:25 am Smart companies dump all their money and attention on their most popular product. Look at Disney and Marvel. Or Apple and the iphone etc

Toei is just ass backwards in prioritizing everything not named Dragon ball
Dragon ball has a web series coming soon, the anime is rumored to return, they have more movies coming, New Dokkan material, new Xenoverse 2 material. They’re branching out with the brand which is a good thing.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:46 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:41 am Super Hero has surpassed Broly domestically.

Up untill now the movie has grossd Over 79 million, another thing currently every shonen movies performing really well and breaking records for example JJk movie(190 million) ,DS(506 million) and the one piece red movie already earned 108 million up untill now. I expected this movie to rake in 200 million at least. Box office mojo normally terrible when it comes to anime movies , https://www.the-numbers.com/ is always way to go for Non -holywood of movies , except this time box office mojo has the updated result for Db movie.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:53 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:46 amUp untill now the movie has grossd Over 79 million, another thing currently every shonen movies performing really well and breaking records for example JJk movie(190 million) ,DS(506 million) and the one piece red movie already earned 108 million up untill now. I expected this movie to rake in 200 million at least. Box office mojo normally terrible when it comes to anime movies , https://www.the-numbers.com/ is always way to go for Non -holywood of movies , except this time box office mojo has the updated result for Db movie.
Only five anime films have grossed over $200 million so I don't think it's realistic for a DB film to get that high. That's almost double Broly which had more fan service and focused on more popular characters than SH did. SH is the second highest grossing CGI anime film so that's probably better than expected.