Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 85 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 85 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:28 am

Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 85

それぞれの答え
Sorezore no Kotae
Their Separate Answers

-------------------------------

Release Information:

JAPAN:
Date: June 21, 2022
Publication: V-Jump, August 2022 Issue
Cost: ¥620

(V-Jump is forward-dated two months from its actual release window. Issues are generally released on the 21st of each month, barring a Sunday or a holiday, in which case the issue gets moved up a day appropriately.)

INTERNATIONAL:
Date: June 20, 2021 (timed to the JP midnight-on-May-20th release)
Publication: Digital (Viz/Shonen Jump + Manga Plus)
Cost: Free

STORYBOARDS/DRAFTS:
The first several pages of any given chapter's roughs/storyboards/drafts have been posted on the official Dragon Ball website for quite some time now (in all likelihood done in an attempt to combat piracy and control the narrative by releasing teases of specific information and context at their own discretion). The drafts for Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 85 were posted on June 14 (Japan time). As these specific articles are generally removed from the website upon the chapter's formal release, archived versions of these links (such as this) are generally shared by fandom.

-------------------------------

THREAD/DISCUSSION INFORMATION

This is the "official" discussion thread for Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 85. All content regarding this specific chapter would be great to include here in this thread, rather than the dedicated / larger / all-encompassing ongoing thread. Posts that are specific to the individual chapter in the gigantic thread with no relevance to the larger series will be reported and/or removed.

Q: When will this thread open?

A: This thread will be opened by a Kanzenshuu moderator when the first official promotion of the respective chapter occurs. This may be when its storyboards are shared, or in some kind of formal news article leading up to that point. Please do not create a separate thread of your own to discuss this chapter.

Q: What is the history behind a [blank]-specific discussion thread?

A: We established episode-specific discussion threads beginning with Dragon Ball Kai in 2011, followed by the Dragon Ball Super television series in 2015. These episode-specific threads allowed people to discuss just that: those specific episodes, without being interrupted by other discussions regarding general production, promotion, etc. We didn't create corresponding Dragon Ball Super manga chapter threads at its debut due to the nature of its production: it was initially billed as a "comicalization" of the television series, and the first arc barely stood on its own as a unique production, rather than supplemental/incidental/disposable. We had kept the larger thread out of inertia from those earlier chapters, and have wavered for literal years over whether or not to separate them out.

Q: We've had worthwhile individual chapters since chapter five. This is absurd. Why are you just starting individual discussion threads so many years into the manga, when the TV series had it from the start?

A: All of that is correct. Maybe we will go back and pull out threads for past chapters. Maybe we won't. We should have done this a long time ago. Better late than never. This is the plan for now on and is not currently up for discussion or reconsideration. Thank you.

Q: OK, but... so what's the point?

A: At Kanzenshuu we believe in history and preservation. It is worthwhile to future versions of ourselves and entirely new future fans to be able to dig back and find real-time reactions to specific productions (such as a specific episode or chapter). It's much easier to do this when the discussions are separated into these unique threads.

Q: When will new threads be created?

A: Threads for new/upcoming manga chapters will be created by a Kanzenshuu administrator at an appropriate point in time following the release of a previous chapter, and ahead of that next chapter's release schedule (which itself includes the official drafts/storyboards).

Q: OK, so what do you expect us to actually discuss in a chapter thread, particularly ahead of its release?

A: For some time now, Shueisha (in all likelihood to combat "leaks" and illegal piracy) has released "draft" pages of upcoming chapters in the two weeks leading up to any given chapter's release. These are official pieces of information dissemination and absolutely up for discussion. We welcome questions about where and how to legally and officially consume the manga. We do not condone nor allow the discussion or encouragement of piracy. Following a chapter's release, of course anything relating to that chapter and its contents are up for discussion in a specific thread.

Q: What kinds of "sources" can we discuss?

A: You can discuss whatever you want, so long as it lives up to the community guidelines. It is recommended that you link to / discuss actual sources of information, rather than second-hand accounts. Twitter and its users are not "sources" of information. Shueisha has its own official Dragon Ball website and weekly news broadcast on YouTube, which will in all likelihood be your actual primary sources of information leading up to a chapter's release.

Q: What if I have something to say about another chapter that's not this chapter?

A: Is what you have to say/ask/post even tangentially related to this chapter? That's fine. Does it have absolutely nothing to do with this chapter? Post it elsewhere. These chapter-specific threads do not automatically close after a new chapter comes out; you are free to keep discussing a specific chapter for as long as you all feel like talking about it.

Q: So what do we do with the big/main thread?

A: The dedicated / larger / all-encompassing ongoing thread is still perfect for overall/holistic discussion regarding the manga, its production, its promotion, its content relation to other parts of the franchise, etc.

Q: I want to learn more about what's going on with this manga's production!

A: Check out Episode #0489 of our podcast for an extreme deep-dive (with all the receipts you can eat!) into the production of the manga, including all of the ways that Toyotaro, Akira Toriyama, and Victory Uchida each individually contribute to it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 85 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Cipher » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:11 pm

Not much to go on in the drafts, but Gas teleporting Vegeta around is neat. (Toyotaro seems rather fond of those powers—Zamasu uses his portals similarly.) It does help break up the standard fighting.

I honestly feel like the fight could wrap up, or just about wrap up, this chapter. We’ll probably get whatever our final climactic twist is here.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:00 pm

Just read that Vegeta seems to be letting Gas beat him up on purpose.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:25 pm

"The answer is simple: kill you instantly" is a badass line. The fact that he fails makes Vegeta look even cooler.

Although he used teleportation on Elec earlier, it's interesting to see it used offensively. The evolution of the technique reminds me of Hit's Time-Lag.

Hoping Granolah wakes up soon.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:31 am

So apparently this chapter is going to delve a little deeper into what Goku and Vegeta took out of Bardock's fight and motivations, which is cool.

Especially since the resolution of their internal conflicts in the last chapter did seem a bit sudden. And this is particularly important for Vegeta because his conflict is a little more complicated to touch, as it involves coming to terms with the sins and at the same time inheriting the pride of a race that lived to conquer and kill. So in the last chapter it kind of feels like he just shrugged it off...and they entered into a weird line. I don't expect anything super complex, but hopefully better understanding the lessons they took from it is a positive thing, I guess.

As for the fight, it really feels like it's coming to an end, but I don't know what else could happen after it since I can't see another opponent as strong as Gas showing up

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:51 am

I guess this chapter will end with Goku finally getting the hang of UI as a cliffhanger. Or next chapter will end like that, since we are at the climax since Xmas.

Things to come:

- Elecc stepping up
- Goku's UI
- Granny waking up and doing something
- The details of Elecc's wish that may or may not come into play when defeating Gas
- Tables turning on Gas
- The balance of the universe being shifted.

Less important revelations:
-What's deal with airplane peanuts the cerealian DBs, and why isn't our set as broken.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:47 am

With all of the hullabaloo of Super Hero's release (that I'm sure Toyo will take into, considering he's already watched the movie at least 3 times now, & may or may not have already been privy to concepts from it) among other things, feels like a long while back from when my social media timeline (regarding DB) was hyped for the UI/UE teamup lmao.

So far, action/choreography is par for the course fine (with Gas using his "teleport-a-guy" ability for combat vs Vegeta, which he prev used to save Elec). Plot-wise, we didn't get much from these drafts (Gas beating up tanky UE Vegeta while UI Goku stands still & watches, with the preview gassing up "something else going on here only Goku can sense?!") compared to last month (wish drama), so awaiting/looking forward to more substantial stuff from this chapter.

At the very least, am hoping the titular character of the Granolah the Survivor arc stirs soon to get back involved sooner than later. Though the title likely concerning just the 2 Saiyans' own answers to their inner conflicts from Bardockgatari prob doesn't lend faith to that (or us getting past the Ultra Saiyans/Gas fight this month beyond the former making headway against him).

And inb4:

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:33 pm

They will realize that Broly is needed and one shot.

If this would have happened in the movie canon and after Super Heroes Gohan would one shot

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:47 pm

Soba Mask wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:33 pm They will realize that Broly is needed and one shot.
Broly can't control his strength , and if he'd transform he would attack the good guys too.
Soba Mask wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:33 pm If this would have happened in the movie canon and after Super Heroes Gohan would one shot
I doubt Gohan is above UI/UE, feels like that form is his equivalent.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:55 pm

Xeogran wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:47 pm
Soba Mask wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:33 pm They will realize that Broly is needed and one shot.
Broly can't control his strength , and if he'd transform he would attack the good guys too.
Soba Mask wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:33 pm If this would have happened in the movie canon and after Super Heroes Gohan would one shot
I doubt Gohan is above UI/UE, feels like that form is his equivalent.
It’s pointless to debate since the movie was made years before UE and Goku couldn’t even go into UI in Broly and this movie was written before Broly officially released.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Super Murjin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Super Murjin » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:27 pm

This Q&A is from the “Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero” Panel Hosted at New York Comic Con"

October 7th 2021

Of note was the Q&A session with pre-selected questions from fans to the panelists. Below are the questions with a summary of the response, which are not transcribed verbatim.

Question #1: The Dragon Ball Super anime connects the story with the last chapter of the manga, but what about this movie? It it a continuation from the end of the manga?
Akio Iyoku says that since the events of Dragon Ball Super take place within the 10 years after Goku defeats Majin Boo, and since Toriyama wrote this story himself, it naturally connects to the story of Dragon Ball.

Question #2: Could you tell us what period this movie is set? After the Granolah Arc, but before the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai?
Akio Iyoku notes he cannot speak to what is unfolding in the Granolla story arc, as it is still ongoing and he does not want to spoil anything. However, he will say that the events of the new movie will take place after the events in Dragon Ball Super: Broly, but before the 28th Tenka’ichi Budōkai.

Question #3: Please tell us the release dates for the Japan and U.S. releases.
Norihiro Hayashida reiterates that no definitive date has been set yet for the release in Japan, but expounds a bit noting that they are still in negotiations for the movie’s U.S. release. They would like them to release as close to the same time as possible, but they will let us know as soon as they can about its official release date.

Question #4: I’d love to know the address for Piccolo’s House. I’ll send him a letter.
Laughing at the question, Akio Iyoku says that while Piccolo’s house does indeed have a mailbox in the movie, its exact address is unknown.

Wonder if the conclusion to the Granolla arc will have any type of direct connection to the Super Hero film?
Like how did Broly end up on Beerus' planet.
Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero should have a direct connection to the manga based on what is mentioned above.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:52 pm

Iyoku ain't slick lol, thanks to Questioner 2 for putting him on the spot like that

(He also says "hey, thanks for reading the manga" as pictures of manga vols 13-14 appear on screen, so funny to think that might be how some at NYCC last year found out the DBS manga exists/is still ongoing)

Pafupafu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pafupafu » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:44 am

Nothing from the sneak peek suggests this arc is coming to a close any time soon. Really feeling the drag from the monthly release for the Manga. Granolah’s lifespan may literally end in real time by the time this arc concludes. We’re already well past an actual year into his three remaining since his wish. That’s crazy.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:16 am

Aaaaw that first comment is real sweet.
とよたろうさん、頑張ってください!今度、ご飯と、パンと、18号描いてくださいね!楽しみです!
"Toyotaro-san, do your best! Next time, please draw Gohan, Pan, and 18! That'd be great!

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:04 am

Pafupafu wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:44 am Nothing from the sneak peek suggests this arc is coming to a close any time soon. Really feeling the drag from the monthly release for the Manga. Granolah’s lifespan may literally end in real time by the time this arc concludes. We’re already well past an actual year into his three remaining since his wish. That’s crazy.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, looks like Uchida was misinformed when he said the new arc will start soon, back in the December of 2021.
7+ months of wait isn't soon.
I guess the Gas fight is the climax of this arc, but that also went through many rounds before both parties started using their full power.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:07 am

Pafupafu wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:44 am Nothing from the sneak peek suggests this arc is coming to a close any time soon. Really feeling the drag from the monthly release for the Manga. Granolah’s lifespan may literally end in real time by the time this arc concludes. We’re already well past an actual year into his three remaining since his wish. That’s crazy.
I'm still predicting that Planet Cereal has shorter years than Earth, Mercury for example is 88 days in a year.

If Cereal has 88 days in a year, 3 years would be 264 days.

But it's possible that the Dragon takes Namekian years in account, so he could have 390 days to live. It could also be way more than Earth or less than Mercury.

I think Granola will still be alive at the end of the arc, maybe he'll decide to reverse his wish so he gets his lifespan back but loses his strength

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:26 pm

Xeogran wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:04 am But seriously, looks like Uchida was misinformed when he said the new arc will start soon, back in the December of 2021.
7+ months of wait isn't soon.
I guess the Gas fight is the climax of this arc, but that also went through many rounds before both parties started using their full power.
There's a chance that the arc was extended in response to the delay of DBS:SH. Even if not, his statement was intended to draw anticipation for the new arc. Well...you tell me how you think that worked out.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:54 am

Huh. So he
, but I'll wait until the full chapter release before I judge

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:42 am

OLKv3 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:54 am Huh. So he
, but I'll wait until the full chapter release before I judge
Yep, I just checked the spoilers myself. No TLs out prob bc no one esp cares to do em atm, but they sure are images that are as business as usual:

(piracy removed by admin)

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:00 am