Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 85 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 85 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:08 pm

Having Gas die from old age would be neat. It would be the first time when we had a main villain die from nartual causes. DBS always does something different than have Goku always win.

Beerus: Goku lost
Freeza: Goku wins
Hit: Goku lost
Zamasu: Erased by Zeno
Jiren: Won with the help of Freeza, but it was #17 would won the TOP. Not Goku
Broly: No real winner because Broly was sent back to Vampa. Not to mention, Goku had to fuse into Gogeta to fight against him.
Moro: Goku wins (The first new villain in DBS to die from Goku)
Gas: Probably death from old age
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:14 pm

Skar wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:04 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:43 pmThe Moro arc would probably benefit from trimming off some stuff, mainly the Earthlings fighting or Buu's involvement that led nowhere IIRC, but I think it's ok for the most part. And yes, taking place on Earth while being the greatest threat U7 has ever seen, including GT, Z, videogames and even other franchises makes absolutely no sense. Fine, you don't want to leave U7? then just use another planet, I dunno.
I guess it's similar to BoG and RoF because their antagonists threatened the Earth but only the Z fighters were aware. That's the only way to still claim it's all happening during peacetime at least from the perspective of the general population. Piccolo, Saiyans, Cell, and Buu were broadcasted on the news and most of the population knew about them.
I think the Earthlings fighting around the world added a bigger scope to the story, otherwise it would feel very similar to Granolah with multiple bouts of Goku and Vegeta fighting the same guys. Plus, it's the Earthlings stunting on fools! There's always time for that :clap: .

If I'd cut anything, I'd cut some of the Goku vs Moro stuff. His first loss on Earth should be a quick squash, for instance. And I'd cut out some of the more ridiculous stuff towards the end like the Moro sensu and the Goku Susanoo.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:57 pm

YamiGoku wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:01 am What about if the reason Goku is using Omen again is not just because its what fits it more right now, but because Toyo is planning a new form, coming from Omen:
I think this is very possible. Omen isn't just a crappy version of MnG; it's a -Sign- of what's to come. And while Omen did well for a moment, it's obviously not the answer Goku's looking for.

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:13 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:08 pm Moro: Goku wins (The first new villain in DBS to die from Goku)
Frieza died too in Resurrection F.
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:27 am

jjbgood wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:13 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:08 pm Moro: Goku wins (The first new villain in DBS to die from Goku)
Frieza died too in Resurrection F.
I said "new villain". Golden Freeza is not really a new character.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:47 am

I think Vegeta suffers from that same I-am-my-own-worst-enemy-and-subsequent-downfall mentality that Thanos is afflicted with. No matter how strong he gets or whatever tricks he learns, Vegeta still finds ways to lose against whichever latest threat and then just accepts his fate no matter how severe the repercussions are. I don't know if it's because of any dysfunctional life lessons he obtained from serving half of his life under Freeza, his Saiyan drive to simply fight before covering all of his bases, or his prideful overconfidence(maybe all of the above?), Vegeta undoubtedly refuses to learn from his defeats and grasp victory when it's there. It might actually be inspirational that he trains so hard and gains so much strength...if not for the fact that he consistently lets challenges overcome him rather than the other way around.
I dunno, maybe Vegeta just likes losing?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Issei189
Beyond Newbie

Post by Issei189 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:38 am

theherodjl wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:47 am I think Vegeta suffers from that same I-am-my-own-worst-enemy-and-subsequent-downfall mentality that Thanos is afflicted with. No matter how strong he gets or whatever tricks he learns, Vegeta still finds ways to lose against whichever latest threat and then just accepts his fate no matter how severe the repercussions are. I don't know if it's because of any dysfunctional life lessons he obtained from serving half of his life under Freeza, his Saiyan drive to simply fight before covering all of his bases, or his prideful overconfidence(maybe all of the above?), Vegeta undoubtedly refuses to learn from his defeats and grasp victory when it's there. It might actually be inspirational that he trains so hard and gains so much strength...if not for the fact that he consistently lets challenges overcome him rather than the other way around.
You're putting too thought into this considering Vegeta is not a real life person. We all know why he never wins against the main Villain in the story whether its the anime, manga or the movies because Toei, Toyotaro and Toriyama just don't see any significance in him winning against the main villain in the narrative they always establish. This is a Shonen series where Vegeta getting power ups and getting good fights still entertains the fanbase. The main issue is that Vegeta going through the same character writing has just gotten repetitive.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:23 pm

Issei189 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:38 amYou're putting too thought into this considering Vegeta is not a real life person. We all know why he never wins against the main Villain in the story whether its the anime, manga or the movies because Toei, Toyotaro and Toriyama just don't see any significance in him winning against the main villain in the narrative they always establish. This is a Shonen series where Vegeta getting power ups and getting good fights still entertains the fanbase. The main issue is that Vegeta going through the same character writing has just gotten repetitive.
Thanos isn't a real life person either but it's still a solid analysis to his character. Just because a character is fictional doesn't mean they aren't subject to interpretation. Granted, Toriyama is far from being among the creative likes of J.R.R Tolkien or Stanley Kubrick but his characters aren't all just one-dimensional plot devices.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:04 am

It interests me whether Vegeta will keep Ultra Ego for the next arc or it will be stuck in a limbo like Forced Spirit Fission, where it gets sometimes mentioned but never used again. Shame how Vegeta's training on Yardrat has no meaning to the current arc at all.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:14 pm

Xeogran wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:04 am It interests me whether Vegeta will keep Ultra Ego for the next arc or it will be stuck in a limbo like Forced Spirit Fission, where it gets sometimes mentioned but never used again. Shame how Vegeta's training on Yardrat has no meaning to the current arc at all.
Tbf, Spirit Fission was always going to be a niched technique.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:16 pm

Vegeta's UE will definitely remain. Unlike Spirit Fission, where he simply learned it to specifically deal with Moro, UE is for his overall development.

UE's introduction was to help Vegeta grow from his guilt. Beerus said if he wanted such power, he had to get rid of the stray thoughts [past sins] and focus solely on destruction. Destroying his old self and creating a new. Which in turns helps show the contrast from Goku's Ultra Instinct pursuit.

Goku9001
Regular

Post by Goku9001 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:45 am

I don't see how the principle behind Spirit Fission is the same as Ultra Ego outside of them being powerful techniques at Vegeta's disposal. There's a narrative foundation behind Ultra Ego. It serves as Vegeta's own path that parallels Goku that was talked about since the Tournament of Power and developed even further during the Moro Arc where Vegeta left for Yardrat to do his own thing separate from Goku.

It also serves as a lesson for Vegeta to forget about the sins of the past while simultaneously having pride in who he is and how his identity as a Saiyan can help move him forward. His discovery of his "own Ultra Ego" allowed him to not be burdened by those sins while having pride in who he was. Whereas in the beginning, Vegeta completely disregarded who he was because of the sins of the past. The conflict between his Saiyan pride and having to cope with the sins of his people because of their Saiyan blood is something that the narrative had been leading up to since the beginning. And that is represented by Ultra Ego. Vegeta's lust for destruction against Granolah led him to Ultra Ego, upon his defeat against Granolah he reflects that "destruction" was not who he was, and then he obtains his "own Ultra Ego" by finally having pride in who he was despite those sins.

With Spirit Fission, the only narrative purpose is for Vegeta to atone for his sins back on Namek by returning the planet's energy back to the Namekians but that's just a temporary plot element and not some overarching narrative that Toyotaro had been slowly developing. We might not see Spirit Fission, but we will definitely see Ultra Ego again.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:07 am

theherodjl wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:47 am I think Vegeta suffers from that same I-am-my-own-worst-enemy-and-subsequent-downfall mentality that Thanos is afflicted with. No matter how strong he gets or whatever tricks he learns, Vegeta still finds ways to lose against whichever latest threat and then just accepts his fate no matter how severe the repercussions are. I don't know if it's because of any dysfunctional life lessons he obtained from serving half of his life under Freeza, his Saiyan drive to simply fight before covering all of his bases, or his prideful overconfidence(maybe all of the above?), Vegeta undoubtedly refuses to learn from his defeats and grasp victory when it's there. It might actually be inspirational that he trains so hard and gains so much strength...if not for the fact that he consistently lets challenges overcome him rather than the other way around.
And don't forget Toriyama's words, that Vegeta will die sooner than Goku, from a high blood pressure. :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:36 am

Your analysis is lacking.

Vegeta's self-defeating tendencies were settled at the end of the original manga's Buu Ac, where he comes to see the flaws with his world view. Then we got the timeskip to the end of the story, where he's presented as an equal to Goku. That's the story telling you Vegeta has grown as a person and no longer suffers from the mental and emotional shackles he placed himself under.

Him losing in Super isn't really due to any flaw in the character. He's losing because the stories are contrived and the reasons are lackluster. In the Moro arc, he lost just because he wasn't strong enough, which is fine. But every other time in Super, it's because of crazy circumstances nobody could've predicted (re: contrived writing in some cases).
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:13 pm

TKA is correct. The problem with DBS is that it's structured in a way that "only" allows Vegeta to lose and Goku to win. Like think about it:

We've been in this arc for over a year now, and only substantial characters throughout the entirety is Granollah, Goku, Vegeta, and Gas. That's about it. That's a year of story telling that only features several characters. Think about your favorite anime/manga and why its great. And I guarantee you a big reason why you like that show is because its structured in a way that allows side characters to have their own personal victories while still focusing on the main character's struggles.

That's not what's happening here. So despite gaining a new power up, Vegeta has to lose because Goku has to win.

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragmobot12 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:53 pm

Here's my prediction: Elec will die in a western duel style with Granolah, It's impossible for Granolah to lose this one as he is a much faster gunslinger.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:51 am

kemuri07 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:13 pm TKA is correct. The problem with DBS is that it's structured in a way that "only" allows Vegeta to lose and Goku to win. Like think about it:

We've been in this arc for over a year now, and only substantial characters throughout the entirety is Granollah, Goku, Vegeta, and Gas. That's about it. That's a year of story telling that only features several characters. Think about your favorite anime/manga and why its great. And I guarantee you a big reason why you like that show is because its structured in a way that allows side characters to have their own personal victories while still focusing on the main character's struggles.

That's not what's happening here. So despite gaining a new power up, Vegeta has to lose because Goku has to win.
I'd like to add something to this: Vegeta cannot win against any main villain, like you're saying, but also, Goku cannot directly win against Vegeta even though he should often be able to. I mean, technically Vegeta could beat a main villain without too much of an issue, that's just on the writers not wanting to do it, but if Goku is ever shown to directly win against Vegeta, the dynamic will collapse. The whole routine is based on Vegeta growing in strength to the point where he can be a "stand-in" for Goku in order to lose to the villain so that the reader thinks "wow how will Goku win now". (TV Tropes probably has a term for this.) If Vegeta was ever shown to be directly inferior to Goku, it wouldn't work, readers would think "yeah well Goku hasn't tried yet so this doesn't matter anyway" instead. So Vegeta keeps getting power-ups that put him on par-ish with Goku but are never going to be quite enough to beat any main villain, and Goku will never be shown defeating him ever, leading to this weird "Goku > Villain > Vegeta >= Goku" cycle that just keeps rolling arc after arc after arc. That's just how DBS has been, is being and probably will be written.
(feel free to correct me on some of this if necessary, I'm pretty unsure of some of my wording here)
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:21 am

Alruneia wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:51 am I'd like to add something to this: Vegeta cannot win against any main villain, like you're saying, but also, Goku cannot directly win against Vegeta even though he should often be able to. I mean, technically Vegeta could beat a main villain without too much of an issue, that's just on the writers not wanting to do it, but if Goku is ever shown to directly win against Vegeta, the dynamic will collapse. The whole routine is based on Vegeta growing in strength to the point where he can be a "stand-in" for Goku in order to lose to the villain so that the reader thinks "wow how will Goku win now". (TV Tropes probably has a term for this.)
Not sure if that works exactly but, Worf effect is probably close enough.
If Vegeta was ever shown to be directly inferior to Goku, it wouldn't work, readers would think "yeah well Goku hasn't tried yet so this doesn't matter anyway" instead. So Vegeta keeps getting power-ups that put him on par-ish with Goku but are never going to be quite enough to beat any main villain, and Goku will never be shown defeating him ever, leading to this weird "Goku > Villain > Vegeta >= Goku" cycle that just keeps rolling arc after arc after arc. That's just how DBS has been, is being and probably will be written.
(feel free to correct me on some of this if necessary, I'm pretty unsure of some of my wording here)
Spoilers for Super hero:
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:27 am

Lukmendes wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:21 am
If Vegeta was ever shown to be directly inferior to Goku, it wouldn't work, readers would think "yeah well Goku hasn't tried yet so this doesn't matter anyway" instead. So Vegeta keeps getting power-ups that put him on par-ish with Goku but are never going to be quite enough to beat any main villain, and Goku will never be shown defeating him ever, leading to this weird "Goku > Villain > Vegeta >= Goku" cycle that just keeps rolling arc after arc after arc. That's just how DBS has been, is being and probably will be written.
Spoilers for Super hero:
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:39 am

With Super, it almost looks like they completely scrapped the EOZ ending. Of course, everyone is giving answers in interviews like - this whole Super stuff takes place in that "huge" gap between Majin Buu and Epilogue...

But yeah, having
and them basically ignoring EOZ so far even in video games since Budokai 3/Infinite World and of course, GT except for the characters featuring in some games.
Kakarot is the most glaring example, as they adapted the two Z movies kind off and implemented parts of Super in Trunks DLC, that might be the reason.
But outside of Uub inclusion in manga, that is pretty much it's own world apart from the anime TV/Movie realm, it looks like they are going as a continuation of Z and the EOZ is kinda limiting and now it starts to hit the wall a bit.

Toriyama already scrapped Bardock's old design, that he actually designed himself sans the hair that looked more like Vegeta's, and revamped Bardock's story and look miles away from the beloved TV Special (and a tiny visual tidbit in the original manga), that everyone took as an integral part as a prequel story to the anime, same way as the Trunks TV Special intermission that wasn't retconned so far.

But I don't believe that he might change his own ending like that and in the end, it would be a kind of middle finger, as Super is already scolded for fun ideas but no stakes as it has to stay true to what follows. Kinda like the Obi-wan TV show.

There is actually fun precedence in Star Wars that I have read probably from Pablo Hidalgo or someone from Lucasfilm, that it is a mythos and discrepancies in details in the new canon in-between mediums like comic books and TV shows do not matter, as we are not watching the story as it really happened, but it's retelling :lol: Kinda blew my mind and breaks the fourth wall a lot... in the end, I am just watching Star Wars and enjoy it.
But what I wanted to say, is that Dragon Ball doesn't have canon at all and is pretty much lenient at times ever since the anime adaptation of the manga started, so in the end, who knows what they might do with it.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88