Where do we go from here after Super Hero with so many characters at such a high level?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

larzooma
Beyond Newbie

Where do we go from here after Super Hero with so many characters at such a high level?

Post by larzooma » Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:40 pm

What do you think they're building for in the story? I know at one time there were rumors of another tournament. If we jump forward to the end of Super Hero in the timeline and you consider where all the characters, new and old, are in terms of power, no other universese would stand anywhere near a chance. Do you think they'll introduce a tournament against the Gods on some level?

If you consider 7's roster post Super Hero they have:

UI Goku, Ultra Ego Vegeta, Final Gohan, Orange Piccolo, Broly, Golden Freeza, Gamma 1, 17 - all of which range from SSJB level characters all the way to UI Goku/Ultra Vegeta possibly even Final Gohan.

Add in Granola possibly if it's within time and if he doesn't die during this arc. Possibly 73 if the story permits them taking him from the Heeters. With a few tweeks we have a full roster of characters SSJB level. Unless one of the other universes makes some huge strides or finds some fighters they never knew existed before the last tournament, I can't see how it's U vs U. Maybe all Universes combined versus 7?

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Where do we go from here after Super Hero with so many characters at such a high level?

Post by sigmasigma » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:00 pm

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: Where do we go from here after Super Hero with so many characters at such a high level?

Post by Zephyr » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:21 pm

If there's another tournament involving other universes, it doesn't necessarily have to be Universe vs. Universe. It's possible for a more conventional tournament structure that simply has a multiversal pool of participants.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:28 pm

Not to mention that they didn't show 4 of the other existing universes, which in theory would allow for even more powerful people to live in those universes, it was even implied that this was the case since they said that those 4 universes have a higher "mortal level"... except that they also said that Jiren was stronger than everyone else right after that, so they effectively nullified this opportunity within the span of a mere few episodes.

larzooma
Beyond Newbie

Post by larzooma » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:40 pm

nineko wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:28 pm Not to mention that they didn't show 4 of the other existing universes, which in theory would allow for even more powerful people to live in those universes, it was even implied that this was the case since they said that those 4 universes have a higher "mortal level"... except that they also said that Jiren was stronger than everyone else right after that, so they effectively nullified this opportunity within the span of a mere few episodes.
Good point! I completely forgot about the universes that didn't compete.

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:39 pm

Android 17 is a weakling in terms of power ever since the moro arc. He couldn't even battle with Saganbo, who's not even a serious threat by then's standard. Despite not finding Merus exciting, he's the more suitable material for the people who can carry the battlefield heroes onwards now that he's a mortal.

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodiacBeast » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:14 am

I still think that the universes should have been merged at the end of the TOP. Everybody could have their fill of opponents to fight without having to travel to another universe, and we could get to see the unis that didn't participate in the tournament.

Heck, maybe the wish could have caused the DBs to spawn the Shadow Dragons, if you're into that.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:55 am

You can start adding adversaries that need more than just raw power to defeat, for example, someone that has intangibility powers.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:33 am

The question should have been asked 4 years ago when the Super anime ended.

The last two arcs of the Super anime:

- An arc about a twisted God who purged the entire Multiverse from all mortals and had to be taken out by the King of All himself;

- An arc about a Multiversal tournament between the strongest mortal fighters in all the universes, where the Ultra Instinct, the most powerful technique of the Gods (before all the retcons of the manga-only arcs...), is introduced.

The story of Super as a whole could have ended with these 2 arcs and that would have been satisfying. I don't think it's a coincidence that all the follow-up storylines only take place in single planets, as opposed to these two arcs that were more "Multiversal" in scope.

I have been saying this for years. It's hard to take any new villain seriously after Zamasu did what he did in ep. 67. For instance, in this current manga arc, I can't take a bunch of businessmen aliens seriously, it feels like a very anticlimactic downgrade. For all the flaws of GT, at least it kept its strongest villain, the only "Universal" villain, for last.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:05 pm

I honestly think the current arc would have worked MUCH better if Goku and Vegeta got their powers sealed to force them to use\learn UI and UE.
And replace the wish "Strongest in the universe" with "best fighter in the universe".

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:49 am

sigmasigma wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:00 pm
As much as I like that image, one of those is trapped in another timeline with walking reminders of everyone he lost. Unless a certain pink Supreme Kai becomes canon and brings about the Time Patrol...

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:25 pm

They could take the story to one of the 4 universes that weren't required to participate in the tournament or one of the 6 universes that Zeno erased. If I'm not mistaken, it was mentioned that someone time traveled in one of the universes back in the Goku black arc. Also, I don't like how defined the power levels are in Super with top tiers and the lack of ambiguity, as it could make things much more interesting. As seen in series such as One Piece, Hunter x Hunter, Naruto, etc. It's a bit lazy that the seemingly most powerful God of Destruction and angel (at least in the manga) is right at home in Universe 7, it almost defeats any purpose of traveling out of the universe. Especially when more and more powerful enemies keep appearing in Universe 7.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:06 am

Well, now that Gohan and Piccolo are as strong as Goku and Vegeta, they can become Earth's protectors against new threats based in Universe 7, while Goku and Vegeta can go travel the multiverse, in search of more challenges to push them beyond their limits.

Then you can always bring the cast back together for a huge multiversal villain or a huge multiversal contest with high stakes, like the Tournament of Power.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:05 pm

Just because characters are all at a high level, doesn't mean they can't do interesting stories and have new challenges.

There is tons of world building that can still be done in Dragon Ball Super

Beerus & Champa's backstory, U13-U18, Planet Sadala, Time Patrol, 17's family

doesn't have to just be about strong opponents

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:54 pm

Draconic wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:06 am Well, now that Gohan and Piccolo are as strong as Goku and Vegeta, they can become Earth's protectors against new threats based in Universe 7, while Goku and Vegeta can go travel the multiverse, in search of more challenges to push them beyond their limits.

Then you can always bring the cast back together for a huge multiversal villain or a huge multiversal contest with high stakes, like the Tournament of Power.
I wouldn't mind a rotating cast between arcs like Hunter x Hunter does from Gon to Kurapika. Dragon Ball can go from Goku/Vegeta to Piccolo/Gohan. Just like with HxH the flavor of the story would be much different. In HxH Gon's arcs, while still maintaining deadly stakes, are usually more optimistic than Kurapika's darker arcs which focus on revenge.
Goku and Vegeta's arcs can focus on space travel, other dimensions, etc where Piccolo and Gohan's arcs can focus more on home grown threats to Earth or invaders as well as the Earth based cast.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-