Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 86 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 86 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Xeogran » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:54 am

nineko wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:50 am Elec is definitely planning to have Gas die, though I don't know why yet.
Gas dying of old age may still be a part of his wish deal, while getting killed in battle would negate that.
Remember that we STILL haven't seen the exact wish he made.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:59 am

DBZ Abridged Future Trunks: "...that was anticlimactic."

Like yeah, to put us through this arc for over a year only for Granolah to be like, "yo I heard Papa Bardock in like, my dreams, so I don't hate you guys anymore!" is just kinda, what the fuck? Like, yeah this was always the path that it was going to take, but it did in such a rushed fashion. This is what people meant when they say this arc just ignores Granolah. You can go a literally point at times he's in the chapters, but the focus is not on him. Granolah: The Survivor completely abandons the character arc of the title character for fucking fan service. And then to just dismiss his vendetta against Frieza and the Saiyans because he heard fucking Bardock is just insane to me. Like this is bad. Like really bad.

And I get it. I get that some here don't care, I get that some people are here for the cool fights and the cool forms and don't think about this series as any thing more than that. But the thing is--DBZ used to be good at this. It used to be good at maintaining a coherent narrative with well developed stakes. Does anyone actually give a shit about anything going on? Nothing matters. It's all so inconsequential and has no affect on any of the characters or narrative as DB. Vegeta gets a new form, and so what? The same thing happens. Goku supposedly gets some new lease on being a Saiyan, and it does nothing to him as a character. Like he fights Gas the same exact way he fights everyone else. None of this matters.

And I know some people are excited to finally move on, but man I don't have faith it''l be any better than this. There are some issues with the franchise as a whole that no one seems to be willing to fix. And because of that, the same shit is going to happen.

Jeez I hope Super Hero is as good as people have been saying.

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Post by Seekeroftruth » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:04 pm

can already tell elec has a trick up his sleeve and will reveal he is actual the strongest in universe and then we get a new battle with goku and friends vs him.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:09 pm

It was nice, it was a helluva team up. It was a beautiful chapter, and was good to see the arc's central piece taking his revenge... on the guy that wasn't actually the culprit. But still, entertaining as fuck. I really hope Elecc doesn't pep talk Gas into a new power up.

Thing is, in regards of Goku's development I have a serious case of blue balls. The Granny story moved on to Bardock and Goku's, so for 2022 it was basically all about that, with flashbacks and messages from the past, and Goku's first memories... for Granny to comeback and secure the W, and with Goku not being quite there yet (that Susanoo thing I still don't get it). I assume it's going to be a thing for the following arc, the full mastery of Goku's personal UI, which isn't a problem, but it was teased too much for way too long, and as a reader my attention and interest was on what was teased for so long, and not on the character that was sidelined in 2021.
However, I don't have a problem with Granny "forgiving" the saiyans, he already did that when he learned who saved him, when the Heatas landed.

Also, what's up with the Oracle? who, why and how shifts the balance of the universe? Maybe Elecc has something up his sleeve and he'll be The One, so maybe I'm being a little hasty, but how much longer can this arc go? who much longer does it NEED to go? they said it was closing in on the climax back in december lol

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:13 pm

I thought it was an enjoyable climax, although not as impactful as the Moro arc.

The pacing felt extremely fast; so much so that it felt out of sync with much of the arc. I prefer this type of pacing, so I won't complain.

This fight delivered on a lot of what was has been teased; Oatmeel's necessary assist, Goku/Vegeta/Granolah teaming up, Granolah defeating Gas but no longer wishing to extract revenge, and (probably) the consequences of Gas' wish.

I like the detail about not wanting to destroy the planet, so Goku has to literally throw Gas into space. A silly, but appropriate feat. To that end, Gas' newly developed projection powers seem to be in line with/an evolution of his weapon conjuring ability, but isn't as goofy as I expected from the leaks (with the exception of the appropriately silly Timbs stomp).

I guess the nature of Goku's transformation is still not 100% clear, but to me it still seems to be Omen. The fact that the hair is not shaded at points is probalby due to his lack of aura, because as soon as his aura comes back, it looks normal.

I'm not sure if Elec has another plan, but he very well could. When Goku defeated Moro at the end of that arc, I thought Moro might rise up again, but he didn't. Monaito managed to surpass expectations by surviving this long, but I don't think he's safe from Elec's pistol...

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:19 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:09 pm Also, what's up with the Oracle? who, why and how shifts the balance of the universe? Maybe Elecc has something up his sleeve and he'll be The One, so maybe I'm being a little hasty, but how much longer can this arc go? who much longer does it NEED to go? they said it was closing in on the climax back in december lol
That part can be a setup for the next arc. I just made a theory it might in fact be 7-3 who absorbs Elec after the latter runs back to his hideout. With his knowledge, 7-3 could quickly fly to Planet Cereal and make his own wish to the DBs (as a post-arc conclusion while Goku and Vegeta are already off the planet and Granolah doesn't suspect anything bad)

Well, at least that's how I would write it. Yes 7-3 is pure plot device, but there is a reason he's still alive.
batistabus wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:13 pm I guess the nature of Goku's transformation is still not 100% clear, but to me it still seems to be Omen.
Official site called it a new UI form this month.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:28 pm

Xeogran wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:19 pm
batistabus wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:13 pm I guess the nature of Goku's transformation is still not 100% clear, but to me it still seems to be Omen.
Official site called it a new UI form this month.
Right, but last chapter, Goku seemed to imply it was Omen. Also, it looks exactly like Omen, so while the utilization is new (although somewhat comparable to how it was used against Moro), I'm not convinced it's actually a different "transformation". I guess we'll have to see how it looks in color.

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:31 pm

Damn, Dragon Ball Super is so cheesy.

Granolah for 40+ years: living as a revenge hungry person who blames the Saiyans for his race's demise.

Granolah after a few hours of fighting two Saiyans and hearing the voice record of the person whom he believed to be his mother's killer for over 40 years: "meh, I'm gonna let the real murderers leave."

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:39 pm

I really need some explanation about all the forms Goku is using. So, the website says it's a new form of UI, but it looks like Sign, Goku implied so, but it is not? (there was a great episode of El Chavo del 8 that comes to mind).

He pulled the silver UI with that giant projection again, so is that related to Goku's personal development of UI, is that the regular UI doing its thing like vs Moro... or what? They are so vague about this.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:44 pm

Goku looks different from last chapter. He doesn't have an aura (which I think sign always had) and his hair is coloured completely black like his base form.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:55 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:39 pm I really need some explanation about all the forms Goku is using. So, the website says it's a new form of UI, but it looks like Sign, Goku implied so, but it is not? (there was a great episode of El Chavo del 8 that comes to mind).

He pulled the silver UI with that giant projection again, so is that related to Goku's personal development of UI, is that the regular UI doing its thing like vs Moro... or what? They are so vague about this.
Goku seemed surprised when the ability activated, which would work with the "body reacting without thinking" aspect of MnG. It was a clever move to use at the time, so I'm not sure what it says about Goku's future use of that form.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:03 pm

It probably would've helped if Goku summoned that giant, God ki projection of himself to crush all of the bones in Gas' body before he could power up further. Then again, it always would've helped if they had simply used the Taiyo-ken + Kienzan combo on prior opponents so I guess there's no reason to end a tradition because of logic.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:11 pm

This arc would've worked much better if it were swapped with Moro

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:28 pm

Wow, the pacing of this chapter was a lot faster than the previous ones. The fighting was decent and the team-up of Granolah, Goku and Vegeta was enjoyable to watch.
I must ask, however, if this is the end of the line for Gas or not. I can't help but feel there is...or should be...something else coming up for him next chapter...
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:34 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:28 pm I must ask, however, if this is the end of the line for Gas or not. I can't help but feel there is...or should be...something else coming up for him next chapter...
Skeleton Gas :lol:

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:44 pm

People are surprised by the pacing when this is Toyotaro's usual pattern. Dragged out final battle, then hectic and fast paced for the chapter where they're defeated.

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:30 pm

Bad chapter... We know Gas will be back.

Well to be honest the whole manga is really bad. If it wouldn't have been allowed to use iconic and popular characters like Goku and Vegeta, I bet it would be a flop and none would care about the manga much.

Still hope the anime if it returns, will ignore most of it and been based after the new movie

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:42 pm

From the looks of it, Gas wasn't killed by Goku. Granolah was the one that made the final blast towards him.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:07 pm

Glad Goku kept his passed down resolve from his father; telling Gas they aren't going to stop till he is beaten down.

Granolah heard Bardock in his dreams. So he finally understands his mission isn't to take revenge for the Cerelians.

Wow, did yall read my man Elec? Macki and Oil are wondering about Gas's well being, Elec says no worries, his power is intact.
lol Gas's revelation and closure about his blind devotion towards his brother will conclude these next chapters.
Elec is going to show himself to his siblings...Starting now.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:08 pm

Some unseriousness of missing the forest from the trees here aside, I'm still satisfied on my end of reading the full chapter.
I do think Granolah did just overhear the recording of Bardock's fight while he 'dreamt' (or slept), but I won't be surprised if it might be something more next chapter. Was a little surprised that Vegeta in base without UE did run in to help in the big finish.
Giant silver UI Goku construct now showing back up without needing an Oob god-power boost is something to think about.
Elec somehow withstanding a giant blast that knocked everyone away is crazy tho lmao, along with Granolah being able to make sure his sharged up super powerful Spirit Bomb-sized ki ball/blast wouldn't kill Gas & just KO him for a few days (jury's out on whether he'll live that long regardless, dude is skin & bones now).
OLKv3 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:11 pm This arc would've worked much better if it were swapped with Moro
Agreed. It sort of reminds me of when ppl proposed DBS would work better if FT and ToP were swapped too.
On Sign, Toyo does draw the hair highlights on the 1st page, but they disappear when Gas chokes Goku next page, re-appear on pages 21-22 when he powers back up, then disappear again after Gas attacks him the next page. I don't think it was accidental like when he forgot to draw Vegeta's Hakaishin earring multiple times 2 chapters ago, since it was way more frequent & glaring.
Last edited by Shorty GZ2 on Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.