Timelines

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Timelines

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:43 pm

I know the end of the Goku Black arc is a bit of a mess but is there any reason why Trunks and Mai could not of been sent to the timeline that Cell was from. The androids had been defeated and outside of Cell consuming some folks it was probably pretty similar to the timeline Super Trunks was living in. Is there anywhere on the forum where someone has broken down all the timelines, such as a causal chart?
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Timelines

Post by Cipher » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:43 pm

There’s no particular reason other than it not being “theirs” and maybe not thinking about it.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:43 pm

I can quote myself from when I was trying to figure out a 2-timeline theory (as opposed to the more common 4-timeline theory), at least.
Alruneia wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:28 pm (there was stuff here about the Zamasu arc's Time Rings and why 4 timelines for the Cell arc doesn't quite fit them)

All this mess is why I'm personally considering a 2-timeline setup for the Cell arc, where you kinda just have to accept that the timelines can be directly overwritten without that causing time paradoxes... somehow. So Cell's timeline and Trunks' timeline are one and the same, and the unseen timeline and the main timeline are one and the same. The DBS anime in particular seems to agree with the idea of only having 2 timelines for the Cell arc, mainly because of the part where they bring out "Cell's" time machine and use it to go to Trunks' timeline, but there's also the part when Gowasu and Zamasu use the Time Ring to look 1000 years into the future, and Gowasu says that a green Time Ring was created recently, rather than saying that three of them were made, which would have been a very natural thing to point out since that's so many. So I believe the Cell arc has been simplified down and is being treated in this way by the writers, even if the same logic might not extend to the Zamasu arc's time travel shenanigans.
Unfortunately, the official material doesn't always agree with itself, so we end up with several ways to look at things just by picking and choosing different statements. So I'll just say that a possible answer to your question might be that when Toriyama made the Zamasu arc, he didn't consider "Cell's timeline" to be its own separate thing. So Future Trunks and Future Mai went to "Trunks' future" because as far as Toriyama was concerned, that's the only future timeline there was.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:37 am

Zamasu is still around in that timeline, while Beerus is asleep. Meanwhile, in the new timeline they created, Beerus already woke up, so he can deal with Zamasu appropriately.

There is a possibility that the Zamasu of that timeline would have never become evil; but, given how these people were repeatedly stomped by Zamasu and in the end failed to protect the world, it's understandable that they'd be extra-cautious this time. So they chose a new timeline where they can quickly and concisely warn Beerus of the impending danger posed by Zamasu.

I don't know if there's a chart of all the timelines in the time-space continuum, but Toei published a chart of the timelines involved in the FT arc:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:23 pm

They probably forgot or didn't know about it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:14 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:37 am Zamasu is still around in that timeline, while Beerus is asleep. Meanwhile, in the new timeline they created, Beerus already woke up, so he can deal with Zamasu appropriately.

There is a possibility that the Zamasu of that timeline would have never become evil; but, given how these people were repeatedly stomped by Zamasu and in the end failed to protect the world, it's understandable that they'd be extra-cautious this time. So they chose a new timeline where they can quickly and concisely warn Beerus of the impending danger posed by Zamasu.

I don't know if there's a chart of all the timelines in the time-space continuum, but Toei published a chart of the timelines involved in the FT arc:

You just got me thinking. Wouldn't Future Beerus stopping Future Zamasu on that new future just create another timeline were they didn't?

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:27 am

My favorite theory is that it didn't happen because Babidi and Dabura probably killed everyone in the planet.

Also, I'm pretty sure that "In-Universe Discussion" have a topic about the timelines.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:09 am

ZombieVito wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:14 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:37 am Zamasu is still around in that timeline, while Beerus is asleep. Meanwhile, in the new timeline they created, Beerus already woke up, so he can deal with Zamasu appropriately.

You just got me thinking. Wouldn't Future Beerus stopping Future Zamasu on that new future just create another timeline were they didn't?
Since Beerus is simply going to seal Zamasu away, instead of downright destroying him (he can't, since he's Immortal), that should prevent any split in the timeline. If I recall correctly, the reason why the timeline in the Present was split was because Beerus literally erased Zamasu from existence, soul included.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:47 am

It's weird since logically, a better solid diverging point between Goku Black's original timeline & the current main timeline (coming after that) would be Trunks going to the past to alert the heroes of Goku Black rather than when Beerus destroys Zamasu. Oh well, maybe they're both lol

As for the Cell arc timelines, "unseen timeline" is a bit of a meme (it also makes no sense how there's a Cell Games happening there at the same time as in the main tineline without Cell, or with the Androids being deactivated there), so I sort of think there's just 3 timelines going on there- the main timeline, Cell's timeline (Trunks goes back to this timeline & gets killed by Cell), & Trunks' timeline (the timeline that Cell-timeline Trunks sort of splits into when he goes back to the future from killing Freeza, he goes back to at the end of the arc)

(But also, Cell-timeline Cell notes that Trunks killed Freeza in his timeline, even though it should have been Goku, so ack, it could actually be 4 timelines with 2 timelines where Goku defeats Freeza (the 1st timeline & Trunks timeline, & 2 timelines where Trunks defeats Freeza (Cell's timeline & our main timeline), or Trunks killing Freeza could've overwritten that original timeline fact of "Goku killing Freeza" across all timelines after that including Cell's so we can still have 3 timelines)
(There is also no real explanation for why Cell-timeline Cell's time machine goes back a year before Trunks-timeline Trunks' lmao)
(Cell arc time travel hurts heads)

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:55 pm

Yeah Cells timeline earth was fucked by Dabra, I never really thought about that. The unseen would be like him staying in the main timeline but worse as he knows that Dragon Team even less.

I read wanna know what happened to the unseen.

All we know about those two and the u12 guy one is that the combined forces of good are weaker than the main timeline as per Zamasus Scouting and comments.

I like to pretend the u12 created timeline was changed so far back that by butterfly effect it changed the evolutionary path of Saiyans, some movie villian stuff happens and SSR exists and that's how we get the Xeno timeline from heroes. The second superfluous trunks is the one recruited into the time patrol.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.