Beerus and Whis are the worst characters in the history of Dragon Ball

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Beerus and Whis are the worst characters in the history of Dragon Ball

Post by Majin Man 101 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:39 am

Harsh take here but am I the only one who thinks that almost every second that Beerus and or Whis is on screen is just wasted space. To me, everything after their Battle of Gods appearance has been the exact same thing over and over and over again and they have shown almost no characterization besides the fact that Beerus is afraid of the Omni-King.

1. Beerus does nothing but eat and sleep and want more earth food. He gets cranky and threatens to blow up the earth and everybody gets scared for a second. Just THIS over and over again. We keep hearing about how strong he is, and yet we still haven’t really seen it. Beerus main role in the series is to stand on the sidelines and bitch about how Goku and Vegeta should
be doing so much better. Maybe actually get Beerus involved in the story and have him be challenged by someone so we can see who he actually is. As far as I’m concerned he is just a one note joke that while boring at first, has now become a major annoyance.

2. I don’t really need to explain this one as much because it’s so similar to the first one. While Whis does have a few interesting moments where it looks like he’s about to get serious, and we could possibly see a different side to his personality…it never goes anywhere substantial.

As long as I can remember we have had these types
God, Kaio, Shin, Kibito, Old Kai…………

But none of these characters have irked me as much as Beerus and Whis. I really hope that the Super storyline ends with Goku killing Beerus because he is inherently dangerous. I mean the dude keeps threatening to blow up the world and everyone just has a nervous laugh and says “ohh that’s just Beerus”. Screw that. And then maybe then he and Whis will be interesting.

This is something I feel like we could get a lot of varying and wide ranging opinions.

Miracles
I Live Here

Re: Beerus and Whis are the worst characters in the history of Dragon Ball

Post by Miracles » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:01 am

Boss's don't move until the end. Right now, Beerus and Whis are guides.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:35 am

I agree. This and the thing with Beerus' power: no matter what Goku does, how strong he gets to the point of other Gods giving him respect, Beerus is still stronger. Beerus' power being constantly retonned is boring and annoying. Goku (or Vegeta) could get another recolored form of Super Saiyan 4 God Ultra Instinct Kaioken x20, and yet Beerus would still be stronger because of bad and lazy writing.

Other than that, Beerus and Whis had some good, funny scenes. They're not bad characters, they're just poorly used by Toriyama.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:31 am

No character in the franchise will ever be as bad as GT Pan.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:34 am

I think its just the inherent issue with creating characters that are too overpowered. Beerus and Whis could solve most of their problems so making them apathetic to the earth heroes plight allows there to still be drama. Resurrection F/Golden Freeza arc even acknowledges the conflict would be over in 5 seconds if Beerus or Whis cared enough to interfere.

It probably was a mistake to make them series regular instead of recurring characters. Their inclusion in the Golden Freeza and Zamasu stories were more distracting than anything. The Universe 6 and Tournament of Power story arcs at least had jusitifiable reasons for them to be on the sidelines.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:14 am

Beerus and Whis have pretty much enabled DBS to exist. If you don't like DBS, I guess that's one thing. As for characters, I think they're a ton of fun.

I don't care that tension is "undercut" by their presence. Stories since "Yo! Son Goku and his Friends Return!" have essentially been a series of adventures that are inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. I think that's fine as long as the stories are entertaining; we know Goku will not die and stay dead. For that tone of story, Beerus and Whis are perfect.

Whis is a peculiar lifeform and his nature is supposed to be muted compared to humans. He's a silly foodie in his most simple form, and a guiding mastermind at his most complex. He manipulates Goku, Vegeta, and Beerus in subtle ways in order to guide their training. We also saw a different shade of his view on (familial) bonds with Merus and the Grand Priest.

Beerus is a cat; not just in design, but also in personality. Besides that, he's been a solid source of comic relief in the movies. On the other side of things, we saw him take his job seriously with Zamasu. He doesn't get along with the other Gods of Destruction, which is another layer. And I've particularly enjoyed his recent role as Vegeta's indirect master.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:01 pm

Trouser wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:35 am I agree. This and the thing with Beerus' power: no matter what Goku does, how strong he gets to the point of other Gods giving him respect, Beerus is still stronger. Beerus' power being constantly retonned is boring and annoying. Goku (or Vegeta) could get another recolored form of Super Saiyan 4 God Ultra Instinct Kaioken x20, and yet Beerus would still be stronger because of bad and lazy writing.
It might be my headcanon but I think Beerus remains ahead of Goku & Vegeta in power not because of his strength as a fighter, but as a destroyer. Beerus has been a Hakaishin for 75+ million years so surely he's mastered the power of destruction to such an extent that he can transfer his immense, destructive power into simple fighting strength. Vegeta has recently discovered this method so he & Goku might end up catching up sooner than we thought.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Ten na nGael

Post by Ten na nGael » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:47 pm

Whis at the very least is very far off Dragonball's worst character. Ignoring minor characters, even Buu and Cell are far more one-dimensional than Whis. Some of Whis's dialogue with Merus is actually contemplative, which is very rare in Dragonball, and his attempts to aid the Goku without transgressing the rules of his order and showing concern for him under the surface is also unusually subtle for the series.

I'm not saying he's the best character ever but there would be a long long list of worse ones.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:04 pm

That's what I thought just recently.
The DBS deadly sin was to use Beerus as a positive character instead of the antagonist.
For reasons, probably how good the character was received, they did all efforts to make us empathize with Beerus, while the story could had more narrative drive by having Beerus as an antagonistic figure.

So, a new plot. If an earthling can't defeat Beerus in 5 years, the God of Destruction will erase Earth forever.
He could concede training with Whis.
The whole plot could change by Beerus implications. His fluid character could have been put in better use and there could be an efficient contrast between his comic side and the destruction deeds, something completely gone in DBS.
Gone will be the food gag, anyway.

By such premises, I'm quite sure DBS could have been wrote way better.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:40 pm

I do like them actually!
I think they are the best new characters that came with the revival/Z sequel era and I enjoy having new gods as a top tier again, after Kami, Kaio and Kaoshins were done.
Always been huge fan of DB mythology.

Only thing I don't like is the huge emphasis of Super on food. I did like it in the context of Battle Of Gods and the pudding issue with Beerus was funny, but this became a running gag and it's exhausting.

Also, the new characters that came after weren't much interesting in comparison. Champa and Vados are basically mirror versions of these two (but again, Vados badmouthing Champa is hilarious)... Maybe Zamasu. Concept of a deity going rogue in Dragon Ball if we don't count Piccolo in a way was fun.

But I would like to see the mirror evil versions of Kaioshins more. They were mentioned in some interview residing in Demon Realm.
Same as with not exploring other universes besides some glimpses, it looks like the fun kinda stopped after Beerus and Whis.
But color me curious with your takes on these two and others!
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:49 pm

I am getting a little tired of Beerus doing nothing but offering commentary and eating.

He should actually do something cool again. Help out with threats. Be legitimately challenged.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:05 am

We've seen worse gods in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, thanks to Thor 4. (I hope that's not a spoiler)

A lazy god who does little sounds like Toriyama's humor. He did a manga called Toppio the Angel, about a lazy angel who doesn't like being disturbed or handling responsibility.

But that said, gods in anime and Japanese culture are traditionally seen as super-powered versions of humans. There is a statement I heard in a comic book called "Starhenge": "I am a pagan, I prefer my gods to be reliably unreliable." With that context, Beerus and Whis are more flawed and endearing, but definitely can't/won't use their powers too quickly.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Civic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Civic » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:24 pm

Wow completely disagree. Beerus and Whis are probably the best additions to the cast since the beginning of DBS. I love both of their personalities alone and also how they play off each other - it's in no small part the performance of the voice actors I'm sure. Is their potential being squandered? Yeah, absolutely. But that's par for the course with DB when they move on from the character's introductory saga (except probably Vegeta).

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:07 pm

Trouser wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:35 am I agree. This and the thing with Beerus' power: no matter what Goku does, how strong he gets to the point of other Gods giving him respect, Beerus is still stronger.
We constantly cheer on children as they grow and learn how to do things. We praise them and go nuts when they say their first words. Learn to sit up, stand up, and walk.

When Goku attains a power that's 4% of the lowest level god, they acknowledge how strong a mere mortal has become. It's multitudes more than most mortal, but is barely anything in the face of their power.

anyone complaining about how Goku is not catching up to Beerus is missing the point. I don't think he ever will. Beerus was never there to be beaten by Goku one day. We might see Beerus having to fight more seriously one day, but not defeated. Beerus exists as a part of the natural order of the universe.

I also like looking back and seeing that Beerus like to fight, but can't shouldn't pick fights with others in his weight class.Goku and Vegeta are the closest to his power and just wabnted a good fight. He realized tgheir potential for even more fun.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063