Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 87 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 87 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Geraldo » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:24 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:17 am Lmao WHAT. I’m gonna try to reserve my judgement for when I actually read it but… WHAT. This is crazy.
"Crazy" as in "crazily badly written"? Yeah. What was the purpose of wasting our time for 20 chapters if that's the best ending they could squeeze out of this? Worse than any other bad arc of the franchise as a whole.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:30 am

Okay normally I oppose kneejerk reactions based on leaks and incomplete spoilers but in this case I can't help myself
I usually just laugh at stuff like this, but this is genuinely some of the worst writing I've ever seen from Dragon Ball. I actually can't think of any other arc ending as trash as this in any official Dragon Ball story, not even in GT. If anyone here is an aspiring writer, do not do this.
Honestly, the corporate meddling angle mentioned earlier in the thread doesn't feel all that farfetched. I don't think that's actually what it is, but this is so poorly done that it almost ends up feeling like Toyotaro was forced to draw it at gunpoint or something.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragmobot12 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:45 am

"All's Well That Ends Well" but curious to see where are we going after this.

Honestly, I think the next big villain should be a god-level threat.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:54 am

I'm happy to see Freeza again...I just don't understand the narrative purpose of any of this.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

OrangeBanana
Beyond Newbie

Post by OrangeBanana » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:03 am

Alruneia wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:30 am Okay normally I oppose kneejerk reactions based on leaks and incomplete spoilers but in this case I can't help myself
I usually just laugh at stuff like this, but this is genuinely some of the worst writing I've ever seen from Dragon Ball. I actually can't think of any other arc ending as trash as this in any official Dragon Ball story, not even in GT. If anyone here is an aspiring writer, do not do this.
Honestly, the corporate meddling angle mentioned earlier in the thread doesn't feel all that farfetched. I don't think that's actually what it is, but this is so poorly done that it almost ends up feeling like Toyotaro was forced to draw it at gunpoint or something.
Nah there was no corporate meddling here, Toyotarou is just a shit tier writer thats all. All in all you gotta see the manga for what it truly is, canon fan fiction. This by itself isn't bad as sometimes passion for the source material can really bleed through the pages, but while Toyo may have the passion he is utterly incapable of executing a simple arc well (as seen with Granola). He really needs to book himself some writing classes during this break he's taking.

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragmobot12 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:14 am

Black is used so much in Dragon Ball media now, we have Goku Black, Black Janemba, Future Warrior in Black (Future Gohan), and now we have Black Freeza. It just feels so unoriginal that I highly doubt Freeza will make it out alive in the next 1-2 arcs.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:22 am

Well give That frieza is alive in dragon ball super hero unlikely he will die I doubt he will be killed off a third time it is not profitable
Last edited by Toxin45 on Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:25 am

Dragmobot12 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:14 am Black is used so much in Dragon Ball media now, we have Goku Black, Black Janemba, Future Warrior in Black (Future Gohan), and now we have Black Freeza. It just feels so unoriginal that I highly doubt Freeza will make it out alive in the next 1-2 arcs.
Dragon Ball Super should get cancelled. It's almost illegal how bad it is.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:30 am

Toxin45 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:22 am Well give That frieza is alive in dragon ball super broly unlikely he will die I doubt he will be killed off a third time it is not profitable
This arc takes place after Broli.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:49 am

And turns out, the errand Elec had was to call Freeza over to Planet Cereal (so Gas could kill him for the Heeters to become the supreme force in the universe)

Too bad he didn't count on Black Freeza training in a different dimension prior lmao
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:30 am
Toxin45 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:22 am Well give That frieza is alive in dragon ball super broly unlikely he will die I doubt he will be killed off a third time it is not profitable
This arc takes place after Broli.
I guess he means Super Hero, Freeza is still acknowledged as being alive/keeping tabs on Broly 3 years after M20's events
Last edited by Shorty GZ2 on Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragmobot12 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:51 am

I don't understand why Toriyama is so eager for us to forgive Frieza for all his past sins, because this guy is no good and never will, he's a devil walking around the universe and destroying innocent lives. The fact that he's still alive is just agony to my eyes, honestly.
I can also say that this particular villain has already outlived his glory days, he is by no means the best villain of the series.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:10 am

Dragmobot12 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:51 am I don't understand why Toriyama is so eager for us to forgive Frieza for all his past sins, because this guy is no good and never will, he's a devil walking around the universe and destroying innocent lives. The fact that he's still alive is just agony to my eyes, honestly.
I can also say that this particular villain has already outlived his glory days, he is by no means the best villain of the series.
Don’t be sore and bitter about it the majority still views him as the most popular villain in both west and east your just in the minority it seems. Plus cell max was a thing in the super hero movie also he is too popular to die by this point plus toriyama never wanted us to forgive frieza so much he likely to decide to keep him unreformed as the lex luthor for goku’s superman

AtlasFlame18

Post by AtlasFlame18 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:21 am

Dragmobot12 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:51 am I don't understand why Toriyama is so eager for us to forgive Frieza for all his past sins, because this guy is no good and never will, he's a devil walking around the universe and destroying innocent lives. The fact that he's still alive is just agony to my eyes, honestly.
I don't think they want us to forgive Frieza considering he's been an anti hero in one arc and a villain in all other appearances including his most recent one.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:26 am

I gotta say, these "lazy recolor" transformations never bothered me as much as it has a lot of others but now a Black Frieza?

After giving Goku/Vegeta Red, Blue, Pink, White and Purple now they're making Frieza Black after having him become Gold and Piccolo Orange?

Too much.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:32 am

I don't want Freeza to die. I think it's more fun to have him bounce off different characters like he did in the Tournament of Power and Broli storylines.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:40 am

Dragmobot12 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:51 am he's a devil walking around the universe and destroying innocent lives.
So is Zeno. He literally erased 6 universes, trillions and trillions of innocent lives, because he was bored one day. Yet no one ever brings that up. Obviously no one can do anything about it, but no one even has the decency to point it out.

The irony is that Goku said in the ToP arc that he hates the thought of innocent people getting erased, but then he's best friend with a psycho kid who literally has the highest body count in the franchise (if we count all the souls he erased in the FT arc).

You should just accept that the moral standards of this series are non-existent.
Last edited by SupremeKai25 on Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:41 am

I don’t normally comment on spoilers, but if these are legit and are presented this way in the final chapter, then this whole arc will have been pointless and this whole affair relegated to being a master class in how not to tell stories.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragmobot12 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:50 am

Hmmm... Perhaps the strongest warrior is in some kind of incubator right now.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:54 am

Dragmobot12 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:50 am Hmmm... Perhaps the strongest warrior is in some kind of incubator right now.

Annoyed by this. I thought next arc would be full on about Frieza, but it seems like he'll go back to being in the background again for whoever that is :thumbdown:
Power-ups are being handed like candy now to everyone around.
And possible another U7 arc to boot...

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:55 am

The amount of pedantic and cruel words people have to share about an artist/writer whose job is the impossible task of living up to a cultural phenomenon is heartbreaking.

Maybe I'm old and slow, but I still fail to see why can't some folks put things into perspective and see that this franchise needs to go through a period of change if it wants to keep on going. Change is difficult and takes time, especially if we're passing the torch for a new generation.

Everyone is free to share their take, even if it's not a positive one. Just remember, life is hard and people deserve kindness.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"