Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 87 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 87 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Trouser » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:11 pm

I guess he trained for like five minutes.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:58 pm

Extreme_kai wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:01 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:54 pm
Extreme_kai wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:12 pm

I will never get this lame played-out joke. Saiyan's literally turn into giant space monkey's and Goku was known as a little monkey boy who is based on Sun Wukong(the monkey king). I don't get why people make a big issue of it and force real-world scenarios into it despite them not being applicable. I guess it's supposed to be funny? Haha...

It's just a joke, breh :P It just so happens to parallel a real-life racial epithet thrown at a different group of people so we find humor in it.
But it doesn't, as I explained before. Saiyans are literal space monkeys, earth has no parallel and to say as much is just... Well, it's just not good. Also, Saiyans weren't victims they were ruthless monsters, a bigger ruthless monster just stepped in and took over their "enterprise. Just saying if you're going to make a "funny" at least make it make sense.
Anyways, this Chapter was a terrible end to an equally terrible arc.
You're overthinking the shit out of it man :lol: . Frieza's a super racist and calls Saiyans monkeys. Black people also get called monkeys. So it's a funny coincidence. That's it. It doesn't have to make sense, it just has to be funny.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:24 pm

Wu-Tang Clan said saiyans represent the black man's struggle in America.

Wu-Tang Clan ain't nothing to fuck with, so you better listen to them.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:29 pm

Please keep this thread on-topic to the respective manga chapter. Additional off-topic and/or disruptive posts will be met with deletion and account warnings.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:31 pm

Freeza didn't want to kill Goku and Vegeta because he probably wants to win them in a fair fight.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:44 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:31 pm Freeza didn't want to kill Goku and Vegeta because he probably wants to win them in a fair fight.
Saiyanpilled Freeza!

Next thing you know he'll be babysitting Bra!

(Please make this official, Toriyama)
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:53 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:31 pm Freeza didn't want to kill Goku and Vegeta because he probably wants to win them in a fair fight.
Since when Frieza fights fair?
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:56 pm

Freeza could have changed during the past year since the ToP for all we know.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:08 pm

Sorry guys, but this is the bottom for me.
Everything is so wrong that's very hard for me to comment or justify the thing.

As said, the arc *had to end*, so no major opponent to fight. There are literallly *HUNDREDS* of narrative solutions you can use to solve the situation, but the one picked is on the bottom of the list.
Show a major opponent again, but avoid any relevant friction. So, no narrative.
There's no narrative in this arc, it's a showreel of characters and action panels. All narrattive strands cutted and ignored. Heeters wasted, Granolah wasted, literally years of fight against someone that got wasted.
Can you figure out this *entire arc* had no consequences? Like it never happened?

This manga is not made by your friends on some fanfic site, is theoretically made by professionals. They should do pro jobs. Write pro level. Coming with idea pro level.

There's nothing I can save from it. It's offensive to your intellect. It's offensive to everyone intellect. You should start to protest.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:12 pm

Trouser wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:53 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:31 pmFreeza didn't want to kill Goku and Vegeta because he probably wants to win them in a fair fight.
He did give a bit of his energy to Goku in the anime version of the ToP, so there is this precedent.

With that said, I doubt that's the case here.
Dragmobot12 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:22 amBtw, really miss King-Kai.
Yeah, me too. King Kai's planet is one of the two locations in Dragon Ball never visited by Vegeta, it's about time to rectify that.

Yes, I want Vegeta to visit the Kame House, too.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:48 pm

Freeza realized that being a social media influencer was a thousand times more difficult than conquering the universe and switched over to playing that game instead. Now he just beats up Gokuu and Vegeta for fun.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:11 pm

Extreme_kai wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:10 pmGranolah bar arc is finally over and now DBS can move on to other things as if those "other things" will be any good.
We can only hope, right? (Though I've been hoping for too long...).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:16 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:48 pm Freeza realized that being a social media influencer was a thousand times more difficult than conquering the universe and switched over to playing that game instead. Now he just beats up Gokuu and Vegeta for fun.
I would actually like Frieza to hold up a cellphone in one hand while he takes out Goku/Vegeta with the other

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:19 pm

Trouser wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:53 pm
It's not a matter of being fair, it's more pride - Frieza thought he was the top dog in the living universe but got his ass whooped in a 1v1 fight not once, but twice to a mere monkey. So now he's motivated to prove he can beat that simian trash on his terms in a fight. He doesn't necessarily want a "fair" fight so much as a victory with no asterisks.

(Being that it's Frieza, he'll start cheating the second the tables turn, but still. From the onset, it makes sense)
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:24 pm

TheMikado wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:16 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:48 pm Freeza realized that being a social media influencer was a thousand times more difficult than conquering the universe and switched over to playing that game instead. Now he just beats up Gokuu and Vegeta for fun.
I would actually like Frieza to hold up a cellphone in one hand while he takes out Goku/Vegeta with the other
God, yes, please. That would be amazing. Especially if he was STREAMING IT!

"HEY THERE KAMITUBE WELCOME TO MY STREAM! REMEMBER THAT WHILE I'M SMASHING THESE SAIYAN MONKIES I NEED YOU TO SMASH THAT LIKE BUTTON AND SUBSCRIBE!"
She/Her
bisexual milf

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:36 pm

Gogeta didn't kill Frieza, so he is just paying them back.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:52 pm

The TOP ARC sucked
Then the Moro arc was Good until it sucked
Then the Granola arc was good until it sucked

you guys still have hopes for this manga?

I'm going to keep reading/checking it because I'm a DB fan, but I'm done waiting for it to be good or taking it seriously.

I dont know whos fault is, if is a team problem, Toyotaro or Toriyama, and I'm not going to insult them or questioning their hard work, but I dont understand how the japanese dont complain about the current state of this manga, or stop buying it or something, because they are only going to listening to them, but I guess they think is not that bad or something? I'm saying this because I saw the japanese getting mad and complaining in Dokkan or other franchises, and that almost always forces a change, but the sales are still good I think? so I'm not anticipating any improvements.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:05 pm

I’m actually really digging this chapter the more I think about it. I think it’s super cathartic that Freeza comes out of nowhere and just utterly destroys Gas. He’s been the most boring foe in all of Super, so to have Freeza reduce him to bones and then crushing his skull was satisfying.

ssj3kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj3kakarot » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:06 pm

" I swear on that faith I can never back down now" - Goku

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:35 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:05 pm I’m actually really digging this chapter the more I think about it. I think it’s super cathartic that Freeza comes out of nowhere and just utterly destroys Gas. He’s been the most boring foe in all of Super, so to have Freeza reduce him to bones and then crushing his skull was satisfying.
Your post sums up why this is an issue though.

Frieza wasn't involved in this story, yet just came out of nowhere and ended it. It's not catharsis that the bad guy has gotten his comeuppance; it's catharsis that the story is finally over. I'm just one guy, but I don't think the takeaway you want from your story is "Aren't you glad this story is finally over?"
VegettoEX wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:29 pm Please keep this thread on-topic to the respective manga chapter. Additional off-topic and/or disruptive posts will be met with deletion and account warnings.
At the risk of a deletion and a warning, I watched your video and man... seeing Goku pull out a Glock and shooting a woman is a bizarre thing that's got me feeling some kinda way. :P
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.