Manga Readers Get the Short End of the Stick

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Manga Readers Get the Short End of the Stick

Post by jamiljamtheman » Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:32 am

[Mini Rant]

I don’t really like how the publishers and rights holders of DBS seem to be giving fans and readers of the ongoing manga the short end of the stick in favor of anime-only viewers (I assume). I do admit it’s not all bad as they seem to be consistently publishing the colorized volumes which is pretty awesome, but I don’t like how other than the manga itself, there is no merchandise, video game references, or anything to the ongoing events of the manga. It’s kind of frustrating to be following the story for the past couple of years, only to see it almost entirely ignored in the big premier movie. Don’t get me wrong, Super Hero is great, and a great sequel to Broly, but that’s just it. It feels like it only is a sequel to the Broly movie, and when it shows us catching up with Goku and Vegeta there’s no mention of anything from the manga arcs. And there was that statement that said the movie/anime timeline is possibly even more split from the mangas events than when the original show was running?? Why?? I just wanna see the cool manga characters and forms in games like Xenoverse or SDBH, or see merchandise related to these characters, or *any* mention/acknowledgment of anything that happened in the manga. But instead, consistent readers don’t really get any bones from the rights holders other than more manga chapters (which I am grateful for, especially the official English simul-publishing).

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Manga Readers Get the Short End of the Stick

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:55 am

We can take some solace(?) in the fact that it's not completely ignored. There are the God of Destruction attacks and Vegeta's Gamma Burst Flash in Heroes, and Kakarot got the extensive Trunks future timeline coverage.

But yeah, it's a shame, and it almost certainly falls to "we don't have a voice actor cast for this character yet".

And that's kind of a bunch of bullshit, because they have included characters without a set voice actor before (see: Kuriza). Other games have gone with new voices (see: Jojo's on PS3) before the anime series got far enough to set new voices.

I don't know what it is about Dragon Ball specifically, but Shueisha and Toei really seem to be dead-set on no video game inclusions until a voice actor (and specifically one that's already established in one of their own animated adaptations). But that doesn't stop merch, right?! It's bonkers how there's no Moro or Granolla figure.

I suppose you could chock it up to the tiny readership of V-Jump compared to the mainline magazine and its respective series, but I agree that it does feel like they want to have their cake and eat it too by offering up "new" and "real" content without backing it up any further than that.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:06 pm

I guess an anime being more popular than a manga would be alone would also not help things. Unless you are an absolute behemoth like Jojo or Chainsaw Man, not many people would be excited or bother heavily with it to begin with. It's not too surprising that when an anime is released, more eyes are onto the manga or light novel or whatever its based on, assuming it is an adaptation, or if its not would be a starting off point for a multimedia project that will most definitely not include a pay to win gacha game. Look at stuff like Tokyo Revengers, Spy X Family and Jujutsu Kaisen where the anime basically exploded these properties to new heights never seen before. It doesn't help that TV and movie streaming is more mainstream and is more accessible than comic and book subscription, despite the latter usually taking less time to be made or purchased. I could probably think of more services that offer TV shows than manga or comic subscriptions in my area honestly, which is a shame yet also unsurprising.
VegettoEX wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:55 am Kakarot got the extensive Trunks future timeline coverage.
Correct me if I'm wrong, since I haven't read the manga version, but wasn't it in the anime too? In some capacity at least from my recollection.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:07 pm

I'm not in a hurry get the stuff I liked in the games and such (then again, I'm not a manga reader). They will come, eventually... I'm not expecting Dai Kaioshin, Uub and Dragon Ball Online's Yadorat to get much spotlight even after Moro saga is adapted, so there's that. Then, from Ganolah saga, the only interesting things that came out of it was Toronbo and the appearance of Bardock and Gine. I really like Toronbo's design, so if we could get more images and stuff related to him...
As for Bardock and Gine, it will be great to finally see them animated, but for some reason, I'm not in a hurry, and they're my favorite characters. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't want Toei to adapt Granolah saga as soon as possible so that when we get Bardock meeting Goku again, we won't to put up with Goku not knowing Bardock is his father and Bardock not telling who he is. This is something that has been done quite a lot now, so their meeting, which should have been something really special, feels like something "monotonous".
Wrigglything wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:06 pmCorrect me if I'm wrong, since I haven't read the manga version, but wasn't it in the anime too? In some capacity at least from my recollection.
All the anime shows is what we see in the TV Special (and I think there are some filler scenes too). Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot expands on it by showing more. There are slice of life moments, and in between moments during the training with Gohan, not shown in the anime. The game also shows what Trunks did in the eight-month wait for the Time Machine to recharge and adapts the Majin Buu saga, which only exists in the Dragon Ball Super manga.
Last edited by Grimlock on Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:23 pm

Right -- I guess it's a bit of a spoiler if you haven't played it and are interested in it, but the Trunks DLC for Kakarot continues post-credits and adapts Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 16, even panel-for-panel at times.

This is, of course, possible under the "no new voice cast" assumed stipulation because it's all existing characters.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:59 pm

Wrigglything wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:06 pm Correct me if I'm wrong, since I haven't read the manga version, but wasn't it in the anime too? In some capacity at least from my recollection.
There are glimpses of it in the anime as well, but Kakarot specifically adapts the manga version of the events, to the point of 1:1 dialogue (in Japanese, at least) and adapted panels.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:30 am

The only thing I want from manga in modern games etc. is Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan 2 Goku Black. Manga isn't that fun for me (it was at first, I was defending it, but after Goku Black Arc it became terrible). Stuff with Bardock was nice, but the rest isn't much interesting so I'm not sad it's skipped every time.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:42 am

Yeah the first time I really felt this was in Xenoverse 2 where we saw cloud Zamasu I was a bit saddened.

Being a Manga prefer literally just feels like living that "stop booing me, I'm right!" meme
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:30 am

Trouser wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:30 am The only thing I want from manga in modern games etc. is Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan 2 Goku Black. Manga isn't that fun for me (it was at first, I was defending it, but after Goku Black Arc it became terrible). Stuff with Bardock was nice, but the rest isn't much interesting so I'm not sad it's skipped every time.
Hard agree.

I don't mind they including things from both, but if I had to choose I would choose the anime events any day.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:43 pm

I'm glad they haven't made manga-exclusive figures yet because if/when they do I'll have to buy them all.

Civic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Civic » Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:08 am

Yeah I think it's like people have said, the greater chunk of Dragon Ball popularity comes from the anime/movies. However at least you keep getting a continuation of the story - I wanted to wait for the anime to return to see the manga adaptation and didn't want the story spoiled for me, but as time goes on I get less patient and see more spoilers, so I think I'm going to cave and get the manga.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:42 pm

Civic wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:08 am Yeah I think it's like people have said, the greater chunk of Dragon Ball popularity comes from the anime/movies. However at least you keep getting a continuation of the story - I wanted to wait for the anime to return to see the manga adaptation and didn't want the story spoiled for me, but as time goes on I get less patient and see more spoilers, so I think I'm going to cave and get the manga.
Well, if you like to collect things related to Dragon Ball, go ahead. But the story of manga arcs is... bad. The only good thing is... I will write it in the spoiler, to not spoil you anything...
Toyotarou is still a better writer than the Toei's crew. But what he wrote isn't that good.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:49 am

Trouser wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:42 pm
Civic wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:08 am Yeah I think it's like people have said, the greater chunk of Dragon Ball popularity comes from the anime/movies. However at least you keep getting a continuation of the story - I wanted to wait for the anime to return to see the manga adaptation and didn't want the story spoiled for me, but as time goes on I get less patient and see more spoilers, so I think I'm going to cave and get the manga.

Well, if you like to collect things related to Dragon Ball, go ahead. But the story of manga arcs is... bad. The only good thing is... I will write it in the spoiler, to not spoil you anything...
Toyotarou is still a better writer than the Toei's crew. But what he wrote isn't that good.

I think let everyone resolve for themselves what is bad writing for them and what is not, rather than from the beginning to urge them only on their opinion.

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:07 am

I'm going to agree with Trouser over the fact that the only good thing that always comes to my mind about the Dragon Ball Super manga is chapter 56 where

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:23 am

It's interesting to me what people can deem the good parts of the manga and have such an opposite opinion to my own.

Yamcha etc helping fight minions was a nice as a bit of fan service but it ultimately didn't serve the story and worsened the pace considerably by having entire chapters dedicated to them. Considering the pacing was probably the worst part of the Moro arc, these chapters are probably one of the first things I'd get rid of.

I think the manga rules until the Moro arc where the pacing takes a catastrophic u-turn and only gets worse. But I still overall liked Moro and liked the first half of Granolah.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:26 am

I'm really not a manga enjoyer, but I did appreciate a few things here and there.

1. Goku fighting in SSG to the end against Beerus.
2. The lack of devalue put into SSB's back - although at Hit's expense, unfortunately.
3. The SSG-SSB switcharoo.
4. Merus as a character.
5. Jiren as a character.
6. God Zamasu little Meta Cooler moment.
7. The GoD Battle Royale and Toppo's defeat of Goku.

And that's really it, to me, truly.

I started finding the manga iffy (to my tastes, of course) by about the Goku Black arc - it's lightspeed pace, the insufferable characterisation of Black and the lack of choreography in both his and God Zamasu's fights.

It really didn't get better in the Tournament of Power, with major fights being either brushed over to off the screen (the final leg of Goku vs Jiren, Gohan vs Kefla, 17 vs Dyspo AND Vegeta vs Toppo in it's entirety) or ending rather anticlimatically (18 vs Ribrianne, The Trio de Danger, Vegeta vs Toppo).

In this regards, the slower pace of both the Moro and the Granolah arc worked better for me to an extent. Moro dragged a bit, but it was mostly bearable, but Granolah? Yeesh, Toyo, Gas really wasn't that exciting a villain, especially when you just gave him Granolah's techniques and a bigger power level.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:16 am

Wrigglything wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:06 pm I guess an anime being more popular than a manga would be alone would also not help things. Unless you are an absolute behemoth like Jojo or Chainsaw Man, not many people would be excited or bother heavily with it to begin with. It's not too surprising that when an anime is released, more eyes are onto the manga or light novel or whatever its based on, assuming it is an adaptation, or if its not would be a starting off point for a multimedia project that will most definitely not include a pay to win gacha game. Look at stuff like Tokyo Revengers, Spy X Family and Jujutsu Kaisen where the anime basically exploded these properties to new heights never seen before. It doesn't help that TV and movie streaming is more mainstream and is more accessible than comic and book subscription, despite the latter usually taking less time to be made or purchased. I could probably think of more services that offer TV shows than manga or comic subscriptions in my area honestly, which is a shame yet also unsurprising.
VegettoEX wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:55 am Kakarot got the extensive Trunks future timeline coverage.
Correct me if I'm wrong, since I haven't read the manga version, but wasn't it in the anime too? In some capacity at least from my recollection.
Is the manga not as popular as Jojo and others?

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:47 am

... but why do games need a voice cast? Wouldn't manga based ones benefit from speech bubbles with silent characters? Nintendo has come this way without giving Mario a voice over even in games where there is voice acting. I think that it would be comical to have greyscale and dotted characters who are silent and whose moves are surrounded by sound marks from the manga in the middle of a colorful and voice acted anime-like game.