I found this and was wondering... (Universe Survival Arc Support Book)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

QuakingStar
Regular

I found this and was wondering... (Universe Survival Arc Support Book)

Post by QuakingStar » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:15 am

https://i.imgur.com/LJAkWac.jpg

What is it from? Is there a larger and better quality version of it? and is there a translation of it??

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Re: I found this and was wondering...

Post by Wrigglything » Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:23 pm

Hmm, this seems like it would be good for the translation request thread.

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:40 pm

Wrigglything wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:23 pm Hmm, this seems like it would be good for the translation request thread.
I can go there with a translation request after, my main point in this post is to find the source and a better quality version of this.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:06 am

viewtopic.php?t=47036&start=20#p1729927

Apparently it's part of the anime guide for the Tournament of Power.

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:42 pm

Thani wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:06 am viewtopic.php?t=47036&start=20#p1729927

Apparently it's part of the anime guide for the Tournament of Power.
Thanks. I don't think that would be in high enough quality to be translated.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:31 pm

There is no such thing as “the anime guide for the Tournament of Power”. As in, like, there’s no book called that. Beyond the “Super Start Guide”, there are no DBS guidebooks at all.

Is it from a pamphlet included with one of the JP Blu-ray sets? A column from a magazine? I’ve hit the point where I have too many things to remember what every little thing looks like, so I would need way more specific guidance on where to look for where that comes from.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:28 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:31 pm Is it from a pamphlet included with one of the JP Blu-ray sets?
It's a pamphlet called DRAGON BALL超 ドラゴンボールスーパー 宇宙サバイバル編 応援BOOK (Dragon Ball Super Universe Survival Arc Support Book), which covers some material from the anime's version of that arc. I don't know a lot about how it was supposed to be acquired or what it was included with, but it functions like a guide in many ways.

Here is a photo of the page in question that QuakingStar is referring to.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:35 pm

Much more helpful. Thanks! I'll try to track one down for myself.

I love how the Wikia page for it just assumes like "FROM AN UNSPECIFIED DRAGON BALL SUPER EVENT", and it's just completely baffling to people.

But... no... it's just a small pamphlet that was put out in bookstores and the like alongside other freebie brochures and stuff. And it's not really a "book"; it's just two pages folded over each other.

All you have to do is Google its title to immediately find that out!

https://twitter.com/bloom77db/status/904948542438903808
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:01 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:35 pm Much more helpful. Thanks! I'll try to track one down for myself.

I love how the Wikia page for it just assumes like "FROM AN UNSPECIFIED DRAGON BALL SUPER EVENT", and it's just completely baffling to people.

But... no... it's just a small pamphlet that was put out in bookstores and the like alongside other freebie brochures and stuff. And it's not really a "book"; it's just two pages folded over each other.

All you have to do is Google its title to immediately find that out!

https://twitter.com/bloom77db/status/904948542438903808
Have you ever translated that part where it is showing SS1-2-3-God- and Blue?? If you have can you link it? If not I'll make a request in the thread.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:33 pm

QuakingStar wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:01 pm Have you ever translated that part where it is showing SS1-2-3-God- and Blue?? If you have can you link it? If not I'll make a request in the thread.
It's just an extremely basic description saying that these are forms that only Saiyans can transform into in order to increase their power, and that Super Saiyan God surpasses even Super Saiyan. It's the kind of thing that's written for someone who either has zero or only a passing familiarity with the series, and needs to know "wow, these characters can transform and they get super strong!"

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:29 pm

Ah, gotcha.. so it doesn't really say the connecton between SS and SSGod, if one is a separate form or is treated as just a god ki SS form.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:43 am

QuakingStar wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:29 pm Ah, gotcha.. so it doesn't really say the connecton between SS and SSGod, if one is a separate form or is treated as just a god ki SS form.
This isn't the kind of thing that goes into minutia. Again, this is a small, free pamphlet distributed with the intent of catching people up to speed on "OK so this is all actually the same guy, it's just that he transforms."

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:26 pm

So I ended up tracking down a copy (actually two; the person was selling two of them for 50 yen). Here's a quick look at it (second tweet is a video showing the whole thing)-

https://twitter.com/VegettoEX/status/15 ... 4027598855
https://twitter.com/VegettoEX/status/15 ... 7378855937

It's literally just two unattached pages folded over each other. It seems to have been put out in bookstores and the like, alongside other freebie pamphlets, in September 2017, which places it just ahead of the big one-hour special with Ultra Instinct and the Genki-Dama the next month.

I assure you that it has nothing revelatory in it... but you can color in Zeno, if you want!

QuakingStar
Regular

Re: I found this and was wondering... (Universe Survival Arc Support Book)

Post by QuakingStar » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:51 am

Nice find and thanks for the info. I think I've just been racking my head over the whole SSG being a SS form directly connected to the SS forms according to recent media (Galactic Prisoner, Moro and Granolah Arcs) yet at the same time being separate from SS therefor it can be combined with SS to make SSGSS. I have to keep reminding myself that old information cannot retcon new information.