How would you feel if Goku and Vegeta swapped Instinct/Ego training regimens?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

How would you feel if Goku and Vegeta swapped Instinct/Ego training regimens?

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:13 pm

During their lighthearted sparring in match in SUPER HERO, Goku and Vegeta seem to switch their usual roles. For once, Goku is the aggressive one on the offence, while Vegeta is the more defensive and reserved fighter. Like with the previous film, there are no overt references to Ultra Instinct, much less Ultra Ego which was likely not even conceptualised. No matter the case, the fight got me thinking. What if Goku and Vegeta swapped training methods in a future arc?

Now, I'm not suggesting or promoting the idea that Goku should go full Ultra Ego or Vegeta should go full Ultra Instinct, but IMO it's interesting to think about. Both Goku and Vegeta are at a point in their training where striking some balance between the poles of Instinct and Ego could be beneficial and help them realize their true goals. Goku's next step is reconciling his emotions with the natural stoicism of Ultra Instinct. Meanwhile, Vegeta has been misusing Ultra Ego as an adrenaline booster, relying too much on absorbing damage without having the durability to sustain it. Perhaps letting the Saiyans learn something from each other will be Whis's next pearl of wisdom?

This is mostly a thought exercise, but I think something like this could be a fun way for the manga to tie into SUPER HERO and explain why they were both acting oddly in their scenes together. With the recent push to give all of the main characters their own exclusive transformations, I can see why this might not be a popular idea, but again, I'm not advocating to see Ultra Ego Goku (though this fan artwork below is pretty cool). I don't expect it to happen, but it sounds like a very Toriyama swerve to have them swap training methods for a laugh, if nothing else.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: How would you feel if Goku and Vegeta swapped Instinct/Ego training regimens?

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:54 pm

It seems Goku's UI journey had to take a turn towards emotionland for him to unstuck himself from the muddy stoic figure after hitting a wall for most part of the Granny arc. So, trying a less aikido-approach to his growth might be the way to go from now on, at least until he hits another wall and finds a balance that lets him maximize UI.

This would be a good moment to start learning from the student sitting right next to them. In several disciplines, at a given time, you end up learning a lot, if not more, from the other students, the learning source isn't exclusively the sensei.
And the guys are way experienced now, Whis doesn't have much left to teach Goku, in fact, he only pointed the direction towards TUI and Goku got there on his own -with a little help from a scouter.
They could stop seeing their relationship as a competition and start taking things from one another, but now being instructed to do so by Whis.