Should OG-73i be annexed to the Frieza Force or be 'retrieved' to Goichi once the manga returns?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Should OG-73i be annexed to the Frieza Force or be 'retrieved' to Goichi once the manga returns?

Post by Cipher » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:44 pm

1) It’s not reasonable for a message board to request that in-universe/story speculation topics be free of heavy-handed opinions in the opening posts, as they shut down discussion of the intended topic from the start. You’re instantly shutting down or distracting people who might have liked the ending, preventing them from weighing in on the actual question. This was a Seven-Three thread, not an arc review one. Save the ending critique for the right spaces. It’s basic message-board etiquette to make people want to engage.

2) I suspect his role in the story is done. If there were a time for it, it would have been in the Granolah arc, I think. The fact that he was only used as a plot catalyst I think implies that neither Toyotaro nor Toriyama are interested in pursuing the idea of him having, say, retained Moro or Merus’ powers (which is fine and makes sense; the powers were only ever meant to be temporary from the start), and I don’t see going back to that well a third storyline in a row.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Re: Should OG-73i be annexed to the Frieza Force or be 'retrieved' to Goichi once the manga returns?

Post by batistabus » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:02 pm

Seven-three was used for an interesting plot point in the GPP arc (as Moro's memory card). He was effectively used to transition to the Granolah arc. He made Granolah look impressive in comparison when Granolah defeated all of the OGs. Heata squeezed the last bit of use out of him in the form of intel.

Above all, Seven-three is a boring character. He does not shine in the story, and his return would not elicit excitement. In my view, that is reason enough to assume he will not return.

That aside, he's not even a remotely popular character as far as I can tell. His design is as generic as Toriyama-inspired designs get, he has no personality (which is part of his character), and his best moments are when others take advantage of him. His unique ability is to copy cooler and more interesting characters. He does not seem like someone who can train, and we've already seen him copy really strong guys plenty of times. I thought it was odd when so many fans anticipated his return in the Granolah arc, and I'm surprised anyone would want him to return in the future. It's fine if you do...

He has been useful to the authors...that is all. They've gotten more use out of him than I could've hoped, and I imagine his use has run out. But who knows...maybe Tori/Toyo will lean on him again. As far as building on his personality, I only see that going in a direction we've already seen twice (other Artificial Humans: No.8 and No.16).

Also, the ending to the Granolah arc was awesome. We have no reason to believe Toyotaro was forced to end it early; especially due to something like poor quality. If anything, the arc may have been extended due to the delay of Super Hero. Regardless, we know that the pre-Moro Super arcs were outlined in their entirety before illustrating/animating began. While things might be different now that Toyotaro has greater creative involvement, it seems more likely that the ending was determined during the planning phase.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:47 am

Freeza is now above silly little plot devices like technique-copying androids or even the DBs, there's no use for this creature anymore. If Granny doesn't destroy it in the abandoned Heata's palace, or if it wasn't stolen by looters yet after Elec's fall, then it should be left there to be forgotten until some SDBH arc wants to pick it up and give it some use.