Kai Episode 159 (28 June 2015)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Kai Episode 159 (28 June 2015)

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:49 am

So, I take it that Let It Burn never played in the International Version after all?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:04 am

We still have one episode to go, but no sign of it yet, and it's unlikely that it will be used in the one final episode against Oob.
As for the soundtrack Goku, while it was used at the beginning of the saga in Japanese, it was likely used only once for the final scene in the international version (we'll see next week).

Parts of some tracks, or even entire tracks, were left completely unused, and some tracks only played once or twice in 69 episodes.

SMKirbyZX
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SMKirbyZX » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:31 pm

Dragon Ball Kai has been one polarizing ride, hasn't it?

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:39 am

Cold Skin wrote:We still have one episode to go, but no sign of it yet, and it's unlikely that it will be used in the one final episode against Oob.
As for the soundtrack Goku, while it was used at the beginning of the saga in Japanese, it was likely used only once for the final scene in the international version (we'll see next week).

Parts of some tracks, or even entire tracks, were left completely unused, and some tracks only played once or twice in 69 episodes.
I would be surprised if they didn't use it at all. Why would Toei go and record a full 5 minute song, only for them not to use it? You could say that they only recorded solely for the soundtrack which they were of course planning to sell, but I'm fairly certain Toei wouldn't spend even a little bit more money on Kai as Kai has already failed in Japan. Yes internationally is was a success, but still. Doesn't make any sense to me, but then again Kai has done more things that didn't really made sense.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:52 am

^ It could have been initially planned as a new opening or ending at some point, but then maybe they went "the hell with it, we already gave them one opening and one ending, that'll do!", maybe they didn't want to animate a new opening or ending and just went "eh, let's just not do it in the end".

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:55 am

Darkblade1995 wrote:I would be surprised if they didn't use it at all. Why would Toei go and record a full 5 minute song, only for them not to use it? You could say that they only recorded solely for the soundtrack which they were of course planning to sell, but I'm fairly certain Toei wouldn't spend even a little bit more money on Kai as Kai has already failed in Japan. Yes internationally is was a success, but still. Doesn't make any sense to me, but then again Kai has done more things that didn't really made sense.
They recorded plenty of image songs for Kai the first time around. "CHASER!!", "Win Tought Fight", and "Energy of Invincible Aura" were never used in the show.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:03 pm

^Those were for the Japanese market, though. It seems extra weird that they'd record a new song for the international market, where we don't even know if they were planning an OST release to begin with.

"This sucks. Make more."

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:24 am

Is it really that strange? One thing we've all learned from Kai is that companies decide weird things and often at the last minute. For all we know, the song had a specific purpose and was shelved after it was recorded. It's yet another mystery to add to Kai's "accomplishments."
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:08 am

So... does anyone know if they played Let It Burn during this episode?

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:27 am

Darkblade1995 wrote:So... does anyone know if they played Let It Burn during this episode?
I have seen this episode and they did not
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:56 am

In the Japanese version or the international version. Because I have seen the Japanese version and I know they didn't use it there. I meant to ask if they used it in the International version. Sorry if my previous post wasn't clear enough.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:02 am

Darkblade1995 wrote:In the Japanese version or the international version. Because I have seen the Japanese version and I know they didn't use it there. I meant to ask if they used it in the International version. Sorry if my previous post wasn't clear enough.
not sure but given how minus the filler episode these episodes pretty much line up it may be the case of created but ultimately canned
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:55 am

Naruto6583 wrote:
Darkblade1995 wrote:So... does anyone know if they played Let It Burn during this episode?
I have seen this episode and they did not
So, even the International version doesn't have it? Well, that's just another weird thing to add to the last of oddities. Why create a 5 minute song specifically for the Intertional market and then never use it in the series? Even the OP and ED don't have longer versions then what's heard in the series, but this song that is never used does. Sigh, Kai logic, I guess.

"This sucks. Make more."

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:39 pm

Goodbye, Kai! Hello, Super! :wave:
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:55 pm

Something I forgot to pay attention to... Does Kai keep the statements from Z about Pure Boo being the strongest Boo?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:15 pm

Finally finished Buu arc Kai.
I will never watch Dragon Ball Kai again. It's a first time only thing.
I already rewatched DB, DBZ(Oh god, this one...) and GT countless times. I will rewatch Super too, since I'm enjoying it. But Kai?! Nop, never.

The only good thing about this is the fast pacing. But I already rewatched this series so many times, that I'm used to the fillers.
The only filler arc I still hate nowadays is the Wedding Dress arc. That's the word boring itself. Aside of that, I like/love all the others fillers.

The main reason is that the newsoundtrack is garbage. The fast pacing doesn't make up for it.

Kikuchi did a perfect job with DB-DBZ. Akihito Tokunaga (seriously, where's this guy?!) also did with GT.
One of the lot of things I always praised about Dragon Ball, was the beautiful sountrack streak we had since the beginning.

But Kai ruined tha streak.
Yamamoto was a failure. I'm not even talking about the plagiarism scandal. His work on kai was poop. I liked 3 sountdrack at max, in almost 100 episodes...
He's much better for the games.

Even though Sumitomo is way below Kikuchi too, he still did a much better job than Yamamoto. There's a lot more cooler soundtracks.
Yamamoto did everything worse than Kikuchi. Sumitomo did a few great scenes.

- Goku's SSJ3 reveal was great.
- Gotenks SSJ3 tranformation was as awesome as DBZ version.
- And Majin vegeta's sacrifice, oh damn my jaw dropped here. Kikuchi as always did an awesome job, but...should i say it?! yes i will! Sumitome did it even better!

The first and only scene DB kai did better than DBZ:
Min 3:00 - 4:54 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VpPoZgA8mQ
11/10 So beautiful!

What's more stupid about Kai is that kinda lost his purpose and didn't have all the filler out. I know the way DBZ was done, it was hard to remove every filler scene in the middle of
a canon episode. Its okay.
What bothered me a lot was the filler Hell scene in Buu arc. After ROF came out and we finally got Toriyama's Hell, Toei should have deleted all those Hell fillers scenes where
the villains are seeing Goku vs Kid Buu, to avoid more inconsistency. Especially when they shows us Freeza Final Form instead of Mecha Freeza in there. What the?!

Anyway Bye Bye Kai. You were still worthy to bring a new generation to the fanbase.
No matter how bad some thing may be, as a fan, anything tha helps thils fanbase grow is welcome to me. But I'm perfectly fine with my Dragon Boxes. 8)
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.