Kai Episode 2 (12 April 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:38 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:Hey, were my eyes mistaking me, or was the title card used in this episode basically the exact same one as episode 001?
It was the exact same, except with a different title... I hope this doesn't continue, but I'm prepared to be disappointed.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:40 pm

What is this Animejan.jp that came up during One Piece? My guess is a way to watch DB, DBZ and GT episodes through the PC or something?
Last edited by Tsukento on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Saiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyan » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:40 pm

Hujio wrote:Alright, so this episode covered chapters 198 and 199, which is the second half of DBZ episode 2, all of episode 3, and the very beginning of 4. So far the pattern is two chapters an episode, which is pretty good pace.
Didn't this episode cover 3 chapters? 197, 198, and 199?

Saiyavenger2941
Advanced Regular

Post by Saiyavenger2941 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:40 pm

Hujio wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:Hey, were my eyes mistaking me, or was the title card used in this episode basically the exact same one as episode 001?
It was the exact same, except with a different title... I hope this doesn't continue, but I'm prepared to be disappointed.
Eh, not a big deal for me. I'm more concerned with the show itself than the title cards.
[color=#30966E][b]PROUDLY Straight-Edge. Arrogant. Gohan and Videl obsessed. BE JEALOUS![/b][/color]
---
[url=http://bit.ly/F3l7t]DA[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/2FC03o]FFNet[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pE5Xs]Youtube[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/lCOED]Facebook[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/rWFtp]Livejournal[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/zrd4v]Twitter[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pYRHD]Flickr[/url]|PSN: Saiyavenger

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:42 pm

Saiyan wrote:
Hujio wrote:Alright, so this episode covered chapters 198 and 199, which is the second half of DBZ episode 2, all of episode 3, and the very beginning of 4. So far the pattern is two chapters an episode, which is pretty good pace.
Didn't this episode cover 3 chapters? 197, 198, and 199?
Yeah, you're right. I actually mentioned that earlier, but I'm typing so fast and trying to remember things that I totally screwed that up.

So it covered three chapters (197-199) and roughly one and a half episodes.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:42 pm

Three chapters, actually.

EDIT: Beat me to it.

This episode looks like another Japanese listening lesson for me. The next episode looks like it'll cover most of the Raditz fight, though.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:44 pm

I knew this was going to be a "talking" episode but I'm still impressed. The only things I didn't like this were some of the cuts from the original anime dailogue/footage. I found it odd that they cut Raddtiz's line about Gohan's power level not being a error since I'm assuming that was important information.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:48 pm

So Tanaka Mayumi was incorrect about Goku‘s death. I don‘t think he‘ll be dead next episode, either.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:50 pm

RoarkVegeta wrote:So Tanaka Mayumi was incorrect about Goku‘s death. I don‘t think he‘ll be dead next episode, either.
Wasted Wisher mentioned something about Raditz dying in episode 3, so I think it's best to assume he dies in episode 3 or 4.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:50 pm

An alright episode, though I couldn't help but notice certain cuts irked me, such as the continuous awkward hiding of baby Goku's penis (the first digital bath water since 1996, yay...?). One cut in particular though, a crushing moment for Goku after Raditz leaves with Gohan, when he punches his fists into the ocean water as he realizes how helpless he is. I guess some would say it's such a small moment, why get it upset, but I feel it perfectly defined Goku's own anger at himself for being so weak that he couldn't save his son. Cutting that moment, ouch.

Anywho, there were some up-sides. The framing in regards to the 16:9 cropping appears to be somewhat improving, as scouter readings aren't cut off like in the previous episode. Also, seeing Goku's gi so accurately orange is quite a subtle joy, though keeping Vegeta's hair so obviously red in his very small flashback cameo was weird. Probably my favorite line of dialogue in the episode, from Piccolo; *with a grin* "As far as I'm concerned, working with you makes me wanna puke." Classic Majunior.
Last edited by Conan the SSJ on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14 years later

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:52 pm

Awesome episode. The BGM continues to impress me. Next week, we'll see how they deal with the fighting scenes. Just what will they do about the stare downs?

That reminds me, were there any long stare downs in the Goku/Piccolo vs. Raditz fight?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:52 pm

This episode covered 3 chapters, 197-199. No real filler was left in (or at least no filler scenes; things like Gohan grabbing onto Goku’s leg and Bulma having to pull him back were left in). The most significant thing left in was probably that Kame-sennin’s recounting of Grandpa Gohan’s story about Goku was a bit longer than in the orginal, including Kame-sennin saying Gohan had found Goku inside a round object (geez, and he didn’t think he might be an alien? What a maroon).

Quite a few little bits and pieces from those chapters were left out, but I think because of that they managed to give the material much more breathing room compared to the last episode, though I think Raditz kind of sounded like he was rushing through some of his exposition. Here are the ones I noticed, by chapter:

After Raditz explains about the Saiyan planet-selling business, Kuririn originally remarks that this makes Piccolo’s evil deeds look cute in comparison.

Kame-sennin and Kuririn’s reaction to Raditz demanding Goku pile 100 dead Earthling bodies at Kame House as proof of his loyalty is removed. This was the last panel of 197.

Unless I’m totally forgetting them showing this, over two whole pages were left out. After Goku tells Kuririn his plan of grabbing Raditz’s tail, Kuririn and Kame-sennin volunteer to help, and ask Bulma to revive them with the dragonballs if they die. Goku then explains that he heard from Kami-sama that Shenlong never grants the same wish twice, so they can’t be revived if they die again. Kame-sennin and Kuririn are naturally a bit freaked out by this, and Kuririn thinks to himself about how he wanted to get married. Bulma asks Goku how they’ll be able to find Raditz, and Goku responds that they can use the dragon radar to track the 4-star ball on Gohan’s hat. They use the radar to see that Raditz has stopped moving, and that he is staying on Earth and not going into space or anything. As Goku is ready to go, Kuririn comments on how low their chances are, and Kame-sennin says it’s still better to die this way. That’s when Piccolo makes himself known. Unless I’m being really darn forgetful, none of that was in this episode, and they go straight from Goku telling about his plan to grab Raditz’s tail to Piccolo chiming in.

The last page of 198, with Kame-sennin asking Bulma if she remembers the location that the dragon radar indicated, so that they can all follow Goku and Piccolo and watch the fight.

The first page of 199, with Goku and Piccolo flying, and Goku checking the dragon radar and saying “a little more to the right”.

After Goku and Piccolo really show up, Raditz thinks to himself about the implications of his scouter not really being broken, meaning Gohan really has a battle power of 710.

Raditz’s original first line after Goku and Piccolo land, where he remarks on Piccolo being the other battle power reading that was with Goku.

The panels of Piccolo and Goku commenting to themselves in amazement at Raditz’s power after he hits them from behind, and Raditz complimenting the two on their defense, and saying that he will increase the strength of his attacks.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:54 pm

RoarkVegeta wrote:So Tanaka Mayumi was incorrect about Goku‘s death. I don‘t think he‘ll be dead next episode, either.
Yeah. Some of us were talking about how that doesn't make sense even before the first episode aired. Looking at the episode titles, he's definitely be dead by the fourth episode if not the third.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:59 pm

Herms wrote:198
Unless I’m totally forgetting them showing this, over two whole pages were left out. After Goku tells Kuririn his plan of grabbing Raditz’s tail, Kuririn and Kame-sennin volunteer to help, and ask Bulma to revive them with the dragonballs if they die. Goku then explains that he heard from Kami-sama that Shenlong never grants the same wish twice, so they can’t be revived if they die again. Kame-sennin and Kuririn are naturally a bit freaked out by this, and Kuririn thinks to himself about how he wanted to get married. Bulma asks Goku how they’ll be able to find Raditz, and Goku responds that they can use the dragon radar to track the 4-star ball on Gohan’s hat. They use the radar to see that Raditz has stopped moving, and that he is staying on Earth and not going into space or anything. As Goku is ready to go, Kuririn comments on how low their chances are, and Kame-sennin says it’s still better to die this way. That’s when Piccolo makes himself known. Unless I’m being really darn forgetful, none of that was in this episode, and they go straight from Goku telling about his plan to grab Raditz’s tail to Piccolo chiming in.
I was thinking the same thing. I believe this was indeed cut out.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:04 pm

Some other things: during the closing narration, the narrator says "an unprecedented fear" (katsutenai kyoufu), in reference to Raditz's news that the other two surviving Saiyans are stronger than him. This was the title of volume 17, the volume these events are from.

The next episode preview shows Gohan coming out of the space pod, meaning that episode will go to at least the end of chapter 202, so it will cover at least three chapters as well. I believe Wasted Wisher said that Raditz will die in this episode as well, meaning it will cover 5 chapters!

Raditz's line explaining about the other two surviving Saiyans besides himself and Goku was left the same. This line is actually a bit of a plot hole, since Raditz says that while he and one of the other remaining Saiyans survived because they were out attacking planets, the final one survived because he was "sent off to some planet, like [Goku]", implying that he was a low-level fighter sent to some planet as a baby, which contradicts what we later know about Nappa and Vegeta.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:13 pm

Tsukento wrote:
Herms wrote:198
I was thinking the same thing. I believe this was indeed cut out.
Yes I can reaffirm that for you guys. That entire conversation was cut out.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:18 pm

Ack, almost missed it this time. Luckily I got in right in the middle of the opening. I'm guessing before that they had some kind of recap? Either that or there was a major lag, since I missed it completely :?.

While I was fine with the pacing in the first episode, the pacing in this one seemed way faster. Though, I guess it makes sense to get all the talking done with in one episode and follow it up with the fighting episode.

The only other thing I can think of that was a bit off was the fade in to the next scene when Goku is taken to the front of Kame house after being kneed to the ground. Pretty obvious that there was some stuff to pad out the episode between those shots originally.
Herms wrote:After Goku and Piccolo really show up, Raditz thinks to himself about the implications of his scouter not really being broken, meaning Gohan really has a battle power of 710.
Really, they cut that? Kinda a shame, since I thought that dialogue was really nice in suggesting that even Raditz was getting a bit iffy about Gohan's true strength.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:22 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:Ack, almost missed it this time. Luckily I got in right in the middle of the opening. I'm guessing before that they had some kind of recap?
There was a recap before the opening that started out with Goku wondering to himself who could be approaching. Could it be Piccolo? Then he quickly goes over his history with Piccolo and their fight at the 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai, with scenes from the original DB series. Then I think after that the narrator took over, but I can't really remember.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:24 pm

Speaking of the 23rd Budokai, did anybody else see the blood censorship? There wasn't that much blood flying when Goku headbutted Piccolo this time if I remember right.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:33 pm

Herms wrote:Raditz's line explaining about the other two surviving Saiyans besides himself and Goku was left the same. This line is actually a bit of a plot hole, since Raditz says that while he and one of the other remaining Saiyans survived because they were out attacking planets, the final one survived because he was "sent off to some planet, like [Goku]", implying that he was a low-level fighter sent to some planet as a baby, which contradicts what we later know about Nappa and Vegeta.
With DBZ Abridged in mind, I would think Raditz was that one and is trying to avoid being called out as the weakling of the group. :lol: