Kai Episode 6 (10 May 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 6 (10 May 2009)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun May 10, 2009 9:04 pm

General Discussion for DragonBall Kai episode 6, aired 10 May 2009

「辿り着いた終点!界王様のおちゃめな試練」
Tadoritsuita shûten! Kaiô-sama no ochame na shiren
Reaching the end! Kaiô-sama's playful trial

PLEASE SAVE DISCUSSION FOR AFTER THE EPISODE HAS AIRED
Last edited by VegettoEX on Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sun May 10, 2009 9:07 pm

Quick question. What did the episode preview show? Will the Saiya-jin land?

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sun May 10, 2009 9:18 pm

They weren't in the preview, they only show Goku finally catching Bubbles and eating like a pig.

I liked this episode, for some reason seeing Goku imitating Bubbles thinking he was Kaio-sama made me feel nostalgic

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Sun May 10, 2009 10:18 pm

I got a friend of mine to watch it last night. He used to love DBZ and hasn't seen it in long time, so this was a refresher for him. He got a kick out of seeing his old characters and plotlines again and is going to watch it regularly from now on.

I liked this episode. Kaiou's physically painful puns had me rolling, along with Goku's antics.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun May 10, 2009 11:03 pm

I haven't gotten to watch this episode yet, so could anyone tell me if they noticed any obviously new music pieces in this episode? Thanks.

Ramoro-san
Not-So-Newbie

The Music

Post by Ramoro-san » Sun May 10, 2009 11:04 pm

For now, I just want to say that I think the music was pretty fantastic all around for this episode. :)

Rod
Regular

Re: The Music

Post by Rod » Sun May 10, 2009 11:17 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:I haven't gotten to watch this episode yet, so could anyone tell me if they noticed any obviously new music pieces in this episode? Thanks.
Ramoro-san wrote:For now, I just want to say that I think the music was pretty fantastic all around for this episode. :)
Damn it! Once again I didn't notice the music :x

Kak

Post by Kak » Mon May 11, 2009 12:20 am

Dunno how I feel about Tenshinhan's new VA. It's not quite deep enough like his original VA Hirotaka Suzuoki, but since we've heard only one line in a casual setting, I guess it wouldn't be fair to judge just yet how well he'll be able to deliver the dialogue that he has in the Nappa fight. Though I guess it would be hard to please me, I'm a bit biased since Tenshinhan is one of my favorite characters which was due in large part to his original VA. I could hear some aspects of his new VA's voice in this episodes one line that I think will be enhanced with a more serious tone in the battle and will make it more closely resemble Hirotaka Suzuoki's performance.

And yes there did seem to be a couple new music tracks in this episode, which is exciting since I was hoping for more. I really hope we get a new one for the Nappa and Vegeta fight that is comparable to the dramatic battle music in Z.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Mon May 11, 2009 3:40 am

Wow, I have to say I'm really like the music in this episode, as I did in previous ones. I can't wait to download, er I mean legally buy the soundtrack when its released.

I didn't watch Dragonball Kai ep. 3 through 5, don't get me wrong I have nothing against it. The edits don't bother me nor the brightly recolored shots that barely last long enough to make a fuss over. I was just waiting for my all time favorite episodes when Goku meets King Kai for the first time. I had the same nostalgic feeling when I watched episode one. King Kai was always one my top favorites characters, loved the VA for the original and his more "snorty" laughs in Funi English dub.

Again, the music was great!

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Mon May 11, 2009 4:42 am

SSj_Rambo wrote:I haven't gotten to watch this episode yet, so could anyone tell me if they noticed any obviously new music pieces in this episode? Thanks.
I haven't been keeping tabs on the music for my part, but there were about three or four that at least sounded new to me. For one, there was a piece toward the end that played while the Z-Warriors trained at Kami's palace, which I believe was new and one of the few pieces so far that I've decided I like. Again, however, I'm not sure if it's new.
On the subject of recurring themes, though, they used the "Rocky" theme again when Goku reached the end of Snake Way, and when Goku flew up to Kaiosei, they also threw in the "Goku's Childhood" theme from episode 1's recap. That's the really awesome one that uses the "Dragon Soul" motif, and I had been waiting and waiting to hear it again! Unfortunately, when Goku gets pulled into the planet's gravity, the music gets cut short before it reaches my favorite part. :(
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Mon May 11, 2009 4:45 am

The pacing has slipped a little behind my outline in the "Is Kai Moving Along Too Fast?" thread but granted, I did quote episode 7 as only covering one chapter (which it may not), so there's a chance that by the end of next week I'll be back on track with my prediction. I did put the arrival of Vegeta and Nappa in episode 8 and I think that will still happen, with the whole Vegeta Saga being done by the 17th or 18th episode.

I'm glad all of the Gohan filler was cut out to have him training with Piccolo already in this episode, though.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Mon May 11, 2009 5:06 am

Oh, and I gotta say it: the editing once again seems a bit shoddy. In this episode, we cut back and forth between Piccolo and Gohan, Goku on Snake Way, and the Z-Warriors training at Kami's Palace... but not necessarily in that order. To see all these cuts to Goku crawling along the road after we just saw him a minute or so ago kind of hurts my brain. That's another reason I think of myself as more of a "filler advocate" than a lot of fans: at least in Z, the episodes were framed by more character situations to cut between!
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Mon May 11, 2009 8:38 am

The music during one of the Gohan-Piccolo training sequences was most certainly an approximation of a song from one of the Budokai games.

I enjoyed this episode. I like that they're moving pretty quickly. The Saiyan Saga was one of the slowest points in the series at this point in time, so it's nice to see them getting through it pretty quickly. I expect Vegeta and Nappa to land in episode 8 based on where they are now.

Overall, enjoyable episode.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Mon May 11, 2009 9:22 am

The animation and especially the colors looked better in this episode. The music isn't doing bad either. I really like the Goku and Bubbles scenes, as always :D. Tenshinhans voice actor is noticeably different but I can't say much further about it since he only spoke a single line.

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Mon May 11, 2009 2:46 pm

Was it me or did Yamcha also sound different? He didn't get a different seiyuu did he?

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Mon May 11, 2009 2:57 pm

This episode was good. Get this over with and move to the scene where Z-Senshi fight the darn dirty Saiyans!
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Kak

Post by Kak » Mon May 11, 2009 6:28 pm

Bura wrote:Was it me or did Yamcha also sound different? He didn't get a different seiyuu did he?
No, still Toru Furuya, but he did sound a little off. Once he gets more lines I'm sure he'll sound fine, he does great in the recent games.
Last edited by Kak on Mon May 11, 2009 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 11, 2009 6:32 pm

Bura wrote:Was it me or did Yamcha also sound different? He didn't get a different seiyuu did he?
Nah, but he has gotten older. I think his Amuro's changed over the years (espicially because he did Amuro as a teenager himself). Age changes things slightly, is all.

Or the ADR director is terrible. Either one works fine.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon May 11, 2009 8:21 pm

Alright, I finally got around to documenting the BGM for this episode(though I haven't had a chance to double-check it yet).

25 Individual Pieces / 18 Recycled Pieces

I have to say, this was probably my favorite episode as far as the music goes, and it had the most music in one episode out of the whole series so far.

tlsmith1963

Post by tlsmith1963 » Mon May 11, 2009 9:53 pm

B-kun wrote:I got a friend of mine to watch it last night. He used to love DBZ and hasn't seen it in long time, so this was a refresher for him. He got a kick out of seeing his old characters and plotlines again and is going to watch it regularly from now on.

I liked this episode. Kaiou's physically painful puns had me rolling, along with Goku's antics.
I thought that Japanese puns might be involved, because the jokes didn't seem to be working in the English sub. I found myself thinking, Kaio-sama isn't funny in the Japanese version, either (oh, the Funimation dub of that scene was so, so bad)?