Kai Episode 10 (07 June 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16596
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:32 am

Herms wrote:Does Piccolo know Tenshinhan’s name at this point?
Meri asked the same thing while we were watching the episode. I don't see why he wouldn't know some names after the 23rd Tenka-ichi Budokai. He may also have some of his "father's / previous self's" memories of Tenshinhan... (though I'm sure Daimao neither knew nor cared).

The amount of re-drawn material (or at least heavily touched-up) was pretty astonishing this episode.

The shot in the next-episode preview of Kuririn forming the Kienzan also looked completely re-drawn. I don't have anything off-hand to compare it to right now, but I think that was one of the long-neck/bad-animation days... so it would make sense to clean that up...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Deity
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:03 pm

Post by Deity » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:49 am

Don't forget Piccolo has super hearing, so he may have heard someone saying Tenshinhan's name even though a normal person wouldn't

User avatar
Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus
Posts: 10550
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Jupiter
Contact:

Post by Herms » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:51 am

VegettoEX wrote:Meri asked the same thing while we were watching the episode. I don't see why he wouldn't know some names after the 23rd Tenka-ichi Budokai.
Yeah, I guess so. Though somehow it seems uncharacteristic of him at this point to call the others by name.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16596
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:04 am

Herms wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:Meri asked the same thing while we were watching the episode. I don't see why he wouldn't know some names after the 23rd Tenka-ichi Budokai.
Yeah, I guess so. Though somehow it seems uncharacteristic of him at this point to call the others by name.
I agree, but he's tossed out the name "Son Goku" a couple times already (though I suppose that's a name he's been tossing around for a while). Hasn't he also addressed Kuririn by name, too?

My favorite has to be "kono chibi" in reference to Chiaotzu, though :P.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus
Posts: 10550
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Jupiter
Contact:

Post by Herms » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:07 am

Well, he was born specifically to kill Goku, so that's a name he's certainly going to know. I'm not sure if he's called Kuririn by name yet.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Vino
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 3:39 pm

Post by Vino » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:22 am

I really wonder why they remove so much lines off characters. I dunnow why, but it really bothers me. Oh well.

User avatar
Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 2486
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:28 pm
Location: Nebraska
Contact:

Post by Hujio » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:06 pm

VegettoEX wrote:The shot in the next-episode preview of Kuririn forming the Kienzan also looked completely re-drawn. I don't have anything off-hand to compare it to right now, but I think that was one of the long-neck/bad-animation days... so it would make sense to clean that up...
Image

Sorry Mike, but the scene is the same. However, after being remastered, you can see we've lost some clarity in the Kienzan. Now it's just a big shiny object. Where'd the razor sharp edges go?
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16596
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:17 pm

Hujio wrote:< snip >
Huh. All right, then! I must be thinking about some other similar shot... :/

Speaking of attacks losing their impact, Tenshinhan's Kikoko (the attack/blast itself) felt TERRIBLE to me in this episode. Rather than kinda encompassing his entire personal space, it felt like some little ki blast just went flying outta his hand. It felt "slowed-down", big and shiny, and just... blah :( .
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
coola
I Live Here
Posts: 2977
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 7:33 am
Location: Poland

Post by coola » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:59 pm

Kuririn actually said in previous episode "Tenshinhan,Chaozu" When they arrived on battlefield,so Piccolo clearly know Ten name. Herms: Just before Piccolo and Kuririn attacked Nappa..Piccolo yell "Now!! Gohan, Kuririn!!!"

User avatar
Son Wukong
Regular
Posts: 630
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:25 pm
Location: Also Kame House

Post by Son Wukong » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:06 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Speaking of attacks losing their impact, Tenshinhan's Kikoko (the attack/blast itself) felt TERRIBLE to me in this episode. Rather than kinda encompassing his entire personal space, it felt like some little ki blast just went flying outta his hand. It felt "slowed-down", big and shiny, and just... blah :( .
Took the words out of my mouth.

User avatar
Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus
Posts: 10550
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Jupiter
Contact:

Post by Herms » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:15 pm

coola wrote:Herms: Just before Piccolo and Kuririn attacked Nappa..Piccolo yell "Now!! Gohan, Kuririn!!!"
In the manga he only says Gohan's name.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

User avatar
alakazam^
I Live Here
Posts: 2714
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:55 am
Location: Portugal

Post by alakazam^ » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:33 pm

Hujio wrote:Image
The background looks different in some areas.

User avatar
Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here
Posts: 4563
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:23 am
Location: Manhattan, New York
Contact:

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:22 pm

Did they cut out the part where Krillin and Piccolo do that whole splitting into three people bullshit or, is that in the next episode?

User avatar
Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 2486
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:28 pm
Location: Nebraska
Contact:

Post by Hujio » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:42 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Did they cut out the part where Krillin and Piccolo do that whole splitting into three people bullshit or, is that in the next episode?
Yeah, they cut that. It was originally from DragonBall Z episode 025, which made up the second half of this episode.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

planche
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 12:43 pm

Post by planche » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:11 am

Does anybody have a comparison screenshot of what it was that they fixed with Tenshinhan's Kikouhou?

User avatar
B
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5561
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:15 am
Contact:

Post by B » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:48 am

planche wrote:Does anybody have a comparison screenshot of what it was that they fixed with Tenshinhan's Kikouhou?
Instead of checkered lines, you saw light. Really not much.

I didn't like Tenshinhan being redrawn during the BFF montage. Not that it didn't look nice, but it stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the Dragon Ball clips, so it irked me. And I need a full version of the track that plays when they gangbang Nappa. These high-speed battle tracks are just great; I would buy a Kai OST simply for the three or four we've had.

(TFS' version of Chaozu's death seemed to have more impact, drama-wise, on me. I don't know if that's good or bad. And Nozawa's mumbling to imitate whimpering noises afterwards was hilarious, so that didn't help.)
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

User avatar
RoarkVegeta
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1633
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:21 pm
Location: Flower Mound, TX

Post by RoarkVegeta » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:06 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Hujio wrote:< snip >
Huh. All right, then! I must be thinking about some other similar shot... :/

Speaking of attacks losing their impact, Tenshinhan's Kikoko (the attack/blast itself) felt TERRIBLE to me in this episode. Rather than kinda encompassing his entire personal space, it felt like some little ki blast just went flying outta his hand. It felt "slowed-down", big and shiny, and just... blah :( .
Speaking of Kikoho, how do you think Tenshinhan's new seiyuu did?

User avatar
Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus
Posts: 10550
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Jupiter
Contact:

Post by Herms » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:09 pm

Personally, I think he did really well. It's a shame we won't be hearing much of him for awhile.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

User avatar
Rod
Regular
Posts: 714
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:56 pm
Location: Mexico
Contact:

Post by Rod » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:23 pm

Finally got around to watching the episode, I noticed there were a lot of redrawn scenes, mostly involving ki blasts and such, but I felt there was one that should have been redrawn; the scene where Tenshinhan dies, it seemed really damaged

User avatar
DaemonCorps
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1763
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:38 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Post by DaemonCorps » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:10 pm

Actually caught the episode subbed for once alongside the roomie and neighbor. One thing that came to my mind while watching was just how little you'd know about secondary fighters like Yamcha, Tenshinhan and Chiautzu if you were to just watch Kai and nothing else. Personally, if I were a newb to the series, I'd want at least some kind of episode explaining who these random fighters that aren't Goku are.

... then again, if I really wanted Kai to be better, I'd probably put new smexy animation as the first priority...
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
BLOG | twitter | webcomic | tumblr | Fandom Post

Post Reply