Kai Episode 10 (07 June 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 10 (07 June 2009)

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:57 pm

General Discussion for DragonBall Kai episode 10, aired 07 June 2009

(title coming)
(title coming)
(title coming)

PLEASE SAVE DISCUSSION FOR AFTER THE EPISODE HAS AIRED
Last edited by VegettoEX on Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:05 pm

I missed the episode, Tenshinhan's Kikoho was corrected, I assume, yes?

What manga chapter does it cover and how much filler was left in?

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:08 pm

Yeah, Tenshinhan's Kikoho was fixed.

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:59 pm

This episode covered DragonBall Z episodes 024-025 and manga chapters 216-218, and the first 12 pages of 219. From what I could tell it followed the manga fairly well. There was a little filler dialogue left in, from what I can remember, and I don't think anything too major was cut.

I actually found the next episode preview almost right after the show ended, which was surprising. I may have to start posting it every week, assuming I can find them.

Click Here to Watch the Next Episode Preview (Kai Episode 011)

間に合うか孫悟空!?戦闘再開まで3時間
Maniau ka Son Gokuu!? Sentou Saikai Made Sanjikan
Will Son Goku Make It?! The Battle Resumes in 3 Hours (Herms will have to correct me, but you get the idea)

On a side note: Mike, I was just curious, why do you still put "PLEASE SAVE DISCUSSION FOR AFTER THE EPISODE HAS AIRED" when you're not even making the thread until after the episode has aired anyway. I guess then no one will be breaking the rules, or it's for consistency's sake?
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Jurik
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jurik » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:23 am

That was fixed, but not the Nappa scene with his armor... when i get the raw i will post the screeshots ;)

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:29 am

Really nice episode, better than last week for sure. I really liked all the new reanimated footage.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:06 pm

Just caught the episode raw and I thought it was a pretty good one overall. Chiautzu's death was played off pretty well even with the BGM replaced. Same goes for Tenshinhan's death. Gotta say, though, I'm getting kinda tired of that death BGM. Considering how many other dramatic deaths are gonna be shown in future episodes, I'm gonna suggest that they have at least three or so death BGMs to cycle through.

From what I could see, the newly animated stuff was:
- Tenshinhan right after Chiautzu dies
- Piccolo and Kuririn attacking Nappa
- most of the entirety of Tenshinhan's Kikiho scene

... and while it was still pretty obvious when spotting out the new vs. the old animated stuff, it seems like they're starting to blend in a bit more together. Then again, that could just be me watching the episode in not exactly top notch video quality.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:26 pm

...I slept through it.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:45 pm

Herms wrote:...I slept through it.
Bastard! :x

There's no sleep when there's work to be done... :twisted:
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:53 pm

You!? Of all people...

Anyway, do you guys think they'll replace the unfinished re-animated scene in the next-episode-preview for episode 10 with the finished version, or is it too small of a matter? I mean, they don't seem to even care too much about liscening these previews...

Vivisection

Post by Vivisection » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:03 pm

For those of you who have been keeping up to date, I've got to ask...how's Midorikawa's turn as Tenshinhan? :shock:

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:06 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:
You!? Of all people...
Well, I went to bed at 5:00 AM on Saturday (have I mentioned that I'm an insomniac?), so it's not too surprising that I failed to get up at 9:00 AM. And the fact that I got the AM/PM on my alarm mixed up didn't help.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:37 pm

See? Didn't I say Toei will fix checkerbox Kikoho?

Herms, there's always DBK on YouTube to watch. Not that you didn't know :wink:
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:37 pm

I thought it was better than #9, but not as good as #8.

Really wish they'd stop re-using Goku's death music so often, it's starting to lose its punch. ^^;

Tenshinhan's new animation was nice, but the Piccolo one stood out (and not in a good way) a bit to me:

It's not that its off-model or anything, its just a little too crisp to me. But luckily it's only there for a split second or so; it was difficult for me to take this screenshot because of that.

I did really like what they had going on with the rest of that sequence though; the music fit well. (Kuririn and Piccolo attacking Nappa together while Gohan flips out and runs off).

Still not a fan of flashbacks to points earlier in the episode though; this sort of thing has turned me off from other shows.

Still gonna keep watching Kai though; Gohan's flashback didn't totally kill the episode for me. :3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:54 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:See? Didn't I say Toei will fix checkerbox Kikoho?
Yes, yes you did... but no one said that it wasn't going to be corrected, in fact, most people said it would be corrected.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:09 am

Anyway back to my opinion... It looks pretty much same special effects except color tone of Ki based attacks. But its pace is pretty quick. I can assume that the Saiyan saga will be over in about Episode 16. That's in six weeks :?

I sure darn hope that SSJ transformation will blow my mind away. Perhaps Super GenkiDama and Kaio Ken x 20 will be far better. I dunno. We will just have to see how Toei will handle them.
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Horgus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Horgus » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:41 am

I liked it, especially the faster pacing makes things seem much more urgent without the 'something happens, then take 5 minutes to stop and get everyone's opinion even if they're on the toilet' approach.

They do need at least another death/sad/grief theme though.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:55 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:I sure darn hope that SSJ transformation will blow my mind away (no pun intended)
And the pun that could be gathered from this statement is...?
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:12 am

I thought the episode was alright. Something felt a bit off, but I can't put my finger on it.

Tenshinhan's death did get to me though (though him being one of my favorite characters may have contributed to that...), so I'd say they did a fairly good job with that.

The pacing surprised me as well. I expected the '3-hour wait' to happen next episode, but it's started already.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

Herms

Post by Herms » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:32 am

The episode starts with a brief recap of the last page of 215.

Piccolo’s line about Kuririn’s ki attack, where he says it’s got great power but no speed, was left out. Chaozu’s line after the attack, where he says that it hit Vegeta and Nappa head on (even though they weren’t affected at all) is also gone.

There’s an added line before Nappa starts fighting where Vegeta tells him to not kill the Piccolo, since they have to ask him about the dragonballs.

There’s a bit of left-in filler showing Nappa fight a little with Piccolo before he warms up and begins fighting in earnest.

Piccolo’s “it’s coming!” line, the last one in the chapter, gets left out. Chapter 216 ends about 8 minutes into the episode.

The scene from 218 with Goku running on the Snake Road is moved to here, inserted between Nappa beginning his weird electrical warm-up routine and him finishing it up. There’s also a brief bit of filler where Nappa blasts Chaozu with a beam from his mouth.

In the anime, Piccolo screams for Tenshinhan to dodge, right before Nappa takes Tenshinhan’s arm off. Does Piccolo know Tenshinhan’s name at this point?

Nappa’s line as he’s about to strike Tenshinhan again after knocking his arm off is changed from mazu ippiki/”one [down]” to todome da/”now to finish you”. After Nappa kicks the fleeing Tenshinhan, his line about Tenshinhan beings pretty tough to still be alive is left out.

The brief bit where Kuririn wonders where Chaozu has gone, and Tenshinhan goes “what?!” is removed, as is Kuririn screaming “Chaozu!” when Chaozu grabs onto Nappa’s back (instead, Tenshinhan is the one to scream Chaozu’s name).

A bit of filler where Nappa smashes his back into some rocks to try and get Chaozu off him was left in, though it was shortened.

Chaozu’s self-destruction scene was expanded upon a little, so that’s there’s some more dialogue between him and Tenshinhan before he blows himself up.

Chapter 217 effectively ends about 13 minutes into the episode. The second half of Nappa’s line from the end of the chapter is moved to later, but the first part, where he insults the Earthlings for doing such worthless things, is left the same.

As previously mentioned, the scene with Goku running on the Snake Road that begins this chapter was moved to earlier in the episode.

The dialogue from after Chaozu’s death has been moved around a little. At the end of 217, Nappa says that “it seems you still don’t understand how terrible we are”, and then at the beginning of 218 he says that he’ll kill everyone, but start with Tenshinhan. Kuririn and Tenshinhan then say how Chaozu effectively died for nothing, and can never come back to life. In Kai, things are a switched so that Kuririn and Tenshinhan’s comments come first, then Nappa says the “seems you don’t understand” line from 217, but not the “kill everyone” line.

Before Piccolo comes up with his plan to attack Nappa, there’s some more left-in filler where the one-armed Tenshinhan tries to fight Nappa.

The scene with Popo and Kami from chapter 219 has been moved to here, inserted between Nappa telling Piccolo and Kuririn that he’ll have to change the order that he’ll kill everyone in, now that they’ve attack him, and Tenshinhan firing his last Kikoho.

Before Tenshinhan fires the Kikoho, some pictures showing his memories of Chaozu briefly flash by, though this segment is much shorter than it was in Z.

Nappa’s line about having to leave Piccolo alive so that they can force him to tell them about the dragonballs was moved from 219 to here, before Tenshinhan finally fires his Kikoho. The rest of this conversation is left out, where Kuririn says that Piccolo is lucky, since they think only he knows about the dragonballs, and Piccolo says he has no confidence in being able to win against Nappa and Vegeta.

During the explosion from the Kikoho, there’s a very brief bit of filler showing Kame-sennin and the others at Kame House, with Kame-sennin wondering if the Kikoho did the job. The whole subplot from Z with a TV station filming the battle with the Saiyans, and everyone watching it on TV at Kame House isn’t in the manga. Kai has left most of it out, but there’s still bits and pieces left in like this.

Chapter 218 ends about 21 minutes into the episode.

This chapter begins with a 1 ¼ page recap of the end of the last chapter, so in Kai naturally they leave that out.

When Vegeta is asking about Goku, his line about Goku really coming back to life, like they heard he would over their scouters, is left out.

After Vegeta tells Nappa to wait for 3 hours for Goku to arrive, Nappa’s rant about having been asleep for too long and 3 hours being far too long to wait has been removed.

The episode ends about 2 pages before the end of the chapter.

Next episode
The next episode preview shows Kuririn using the Kienzan, so it will cover at least the last two pages of 219 up to 221.