Kai Episode 11 (14 June 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 11 (14 June 2009)

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:56 pm

General Discussion for DragonBall Kai episode 11, aired 14 June 2009

(title coming)
(title coming)
(title coming)

PLEASE SAVE DISCUSSION FOR AFTER THE EPISODE HAS AIRED
Last edited by VegettoEX on Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:51 pm

Missed it again, usual questions; how much filler was left in? And how where the re-drawn scenes? (I assume there were re-drawn scenes because any scene with ki attacks seems to be re drawn)
Didn't one of the ads for Kai say that the series was to have all new special effects? It would explain why they've been redoing ki blasts
Last edited by Rod on Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:59 pm

Scenes that I assume were flashing a lot in the original version were redrawn, IIRC. I wish they had redrawn a few of the other scenes, though, because there's a noticeable shift between animation styles halfway through the episode.

I'm not a fan of the way this episode ended. It would have been perfect if they had just shown Nappa's attack heading for Gohan, but nooooo...they have to show Piccolo jumping in front of Gohan WHILE THE NARRATOR IS WRAPPING THINGS UP. I have no idea what they were thinking.
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:12 pm

Dogasu wrote:I'm not a fan of the way this episode ended. It would have been perfect if they had just shown Nappa's attack heading for Gohan, but nooooo...they have to show Piccolo jumping in front of Gohan WHILE THE NARRATOR IS WRAPPING THINGS UP. I have no idea what they were thinking.
Well I'm pretty sure that's how the episode wrapped up in Z as well, so I guess it was more of a convenience thing more than anything else. I mean, why cut it off a couple seconds shorter when it's already been cut off a bit later? Probably the same reason why they chose that particular point when Goku's flying towards the fight as a place for the commercial break, since that's another point where an episode ended.

Redrawn scenes were well... there. I honestly don't get why half of them are done. I can get re-doing the "porygon flash effect" for some ki blasts, but others seem pretty random. I mean, how many times have we seen redone bits of Piccolo for no real reason at all?
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:23 pm

Was anyone able to watch this through TVants? It's still not working for me...

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:45 pm

I really liked this week's ep. I was especially in love with the scene where Gokuh finally returns to Earth and jumps off Kami's temple, that instrumental Dragon Soul really does the trick.

I too felt that the narration wrapping up the episode over Piccolo taking the force of Nappa's blast was a little awk, but no biggie.
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

Jurik
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jurik » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:25 am

Mr. Announcer wrote:I really liked this week's ep. I was especially in love with the scene where Gokuh finally returns to Earth and jumps off Kami's temple, that instrumental Dragon Soul really does the trick.

I too felt that the narration wrapping up the episode over Piccolo taking the force of Nappa's blast was a little awk, but no biggie.
Yeah! that Dragon Soul instrumental was @#$% awesome!!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:16 am

Notes on Ep 11

-Were the colors for Kai ALWAYS this vibrant?! Things seem brighter to me for some reason. o_O
-Said colors DO make the "Goku arrives back on Earth and leaps off the lookout to grab the senzu before flying off on Kinto'un" look just beautiful though. *_*
-Gaaah! WHY did they waste time on "Nappa VS the television crew"!? TT_TT Irritating. They had the perfect window to skip some filler and they missed it.
-Also thought this episode ended on a bit of an awkward note.
-I didn't notice the redrawn scenes this time around, but that's a good thing. :3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:42 am

Er I made a thread already about this, looks like the admins deleted it, whatever >_>

So they left some fillers of Nappa in? great...

Edit: Decent episode, I like how they blended the episodes together, but they should have gotten rid of that camera men filler, oh well at least its not Nappa fighting the army.

Piccolo's sacrifice was more emotional in Z, in Kai its more like a "WTF" factor, where a villain jumps in to save someone.

I didn't notice any stand out redrawn scenes, and its a good thing I guess.

Strongbad456
Beyond Newbie

Post by Strongbad456 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:41 am

Saw the episode last night, it was awesome. I was kinda disappointed that they had some of the Nappa filler. And I really didn't like that they ended the episode with Piccolo taking the blast to protect Gohan. They should've just saved it for the next episode.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:11 am

I really enjoyed this episode. Somehow the reanimated footage looked much better than before, lot's more detail I would say. Although Goku's irides are messed up in the scene where he talks to Kame and Popo for a sec.
By the way, was the scene where Kuririn yells to himself that Goku should hurry up and the scene after that where Goku makes a loop as he is flying completely new? I can't seem to remember it in Z.
And one more thing, when Nappa starts to fly and is about to attack the reporters, one of them says that ''the Saiya-jin is on the move'' or something like that, but I don't think they've heard to word Saiya-jin in Kai yet or have they?
Last edited by Son Wukong on Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:10 am

Haven't seen the episode yet but I'd guess they did show Nappa killing the reporters because the folks at Kame House start using Uranai Baba's crystal ball to watch the battle and they need to explain what happens to the TV crew.

So, is Nappa dead in episode 12?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:17 pm

This episode covered the tail end of chapter 219 up to 222.

Chapter 219

The episode starts on the third to last page of 219. It shows Piccolo and the others standing around, but it leaves out their conversation where Piccolo chews out Gohan for wimping out during their team assualt on Nappa earlier. This might be because there's a left-in filler scene later that has a similar conversation.

There's a brief bit of filler showing Goku nearing Enma Daio's palace, and Kami sensing his arrival there.

After that, there's a longer filler scene where Piccolo chews out Gohan some more (although as previously noted, in Kai this is the first time he does it). Gohan then tries to walk away from the battlefield, but Nappa stops him.

After this is yet another left-in filler scene, where Nappa blows up the TV camera crew who have been filming them the whole time. I'm guessing that the reason all this filler was left in is so that the episode can end with Piccolo shielding Gohan.

Chapter 219 ends at about 10 minutes into the episode (when Vegeta says that the 3 hours are up).

The scene showing Goku's return to Earth is split up so that we first see him reach Enma Daio's palace, then the scene shifts back to Gohan and the others, and then we see Kami go pick up Goku and teleport him back to Earth. In the manga that part is all one scene, and occurs after Piccolo and co. are about to begin their plan of grabbing Nappa's tail. In Kai, the first scene is moved up so that Goku is shown reaching Enma's palace right before Vegeta declares that the 3 hours are up, and then Kami picks him up after Piccolo and co. prepare to fight Nappa again.

The eye-catch comes 9 pages into chapter 220, and the chapter ends about 16 minutes into the episode.

The narration the opnes this chapter in the manga is gone, which makes perfect sense since it's not needed midway through the episode.

The chapte ends about 20 minutes into the episode.

Here's a weird one: as Goku is approaching, Vegeta tells Nappa to kill Piccolo and the others. In the manga, he says that 3 of them together could be a problem, while in Kai he says the 4 of them together could be a problem.

Nappa's line from right after the above line is removed. Nappa doubts that Goku could really have a battle power of 5,000, but he's glad he gets to kill everyone. In Kai that line is replaced with Nappa saying he'll kill Piccolo first.

Kuririn's line where he complains about not being able to move is left out, from right before Nappa charges Gohan.

The episode ends right at the end of chapter 222, with Piccolo shielding Gohan from Nappa's blast.

Next episode

Episode 12 is called Pikkoro ga nagashita namida...Son Gokuu ikari no dai-hangeki!/"The Tears Piccolo Shed...Son Goku's Furious Counterattack!". The preview shows Goku hitting Nappa with his various "this is for X, this is for Y" attacks, so the episode will go from 223 to at least 225.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Strongbad456
Beyond Newbie

Post by Strongbad456 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:14 am

I have a question about a line Gohan had. What did he called Nappa's mother?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:17 am

I think he called her a fatso (debu). I'll go check later.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kuhan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kuhan » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:20 am

I really need to catch up on Kai... I suppose I'll just have to download the AVIs :(

So... no "Use your gastrointestinal tract as a condom while I fornicate with your skull!!!"?
[quote="Masako-kun / MasakoX as Goku"]This is worse than that time I was in high school! And all the guys called me Geeko, and I was Piccolo's slave, and I couldn't get Chi-Chi to like me... Oh wow, I hit that rock harder than I thought.[/quote]
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/kuhan

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:31 am

Kuhan wrote: So... no "Use your gastrointestinal tract as a condom while I fornicate with your skull!!!"?
wat :)

Kuhan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kuhan » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:35 am

It's a joke, they used that quote in DBZ: Abridged. Also, the admins frown upon one-word responses... and misspelling... and improper capitalization. :)
[quote="Masako-kun / MasakoX as Goku"]This is worse than that time I was in high school! And all the guys called me Geeko, and I was Piccolo's slave, and I couldn't get Chi-Chi to like me... Oh wow, I hit that rock harder than I thought.[/quote]

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:44 am

Kuhan wrote:It's a joke, they used that quote in DBZ: Abridged. Also, the admins frown upon one-word responses... and misspelling... and improper capitalization. :)
I know it was from that, hence I said "wat"/Nappa's reaction. :roll:

Kuhan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kuhan » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:25 pm

Well, that was a pretty subtle joke... Anyway, let's talk about Kai!