Kai Episode 21 (30 August 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Kai Episode 21 (30 August 2009)

Post by kenisu3000 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:04 am

General discussion for Dragonball Kai episode 21. Aired 30 August 2009.

「守れドラゴンボール!ナメック星人総攻撃」
Mamore Doragon Booru! Namekkuseijin Soukougeki
Protect the Dragonballs! The Namekian Offensive
Last edited by kenisu3000 on Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:13 am

Re-drawn scenes = FUCKING FANTASTIC. O.O

These were beautiful. ;.;
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:25 am

The re-drawn scenes did look better than usual, for the most part, but I seem to remember a shot of Dodoria that looked... wonky.
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:17 am

Also, according tot he previews, it seems that Dadoria's hand-through-the-chest is a GO! Glad they didn't censor it. =D

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:20 am

KaiserNeko wrote:Also, according to the previews, it seems that Dadoria's hand-through-the-chest is a GO! Glad they didn't censor it. =D

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:25 am

I realized with this episode that I've fallen for Kai. I guess I can officially give it my thumbs up!

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:39 am

Also want to mention: Odd that they didn't fix the spelling of "CAPSULE" on the side of Goku's ship.

And for those of you more familiar with the video game music than I: Correct me if I'm wrong, but as Kuririn and Gohan are sneaking up to the cliff to spy on Freeza's terrorizing of the Namek village, isn't that a remix/arrangement of some Budokai song? I only recognize it by ear, and I wouldn't be able to say which song, except that it would be from Budokai 1 (as that's the only one I've played).

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:54 am

Newly animated scenes...

Image'

These two are one pan shot...

SSVegetto
Banned

Post by SSVegetto » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:24 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:Also, according tot he previews, it seems that Dadoria's hand-through-the-chest is a GO! Glad they didn't censor it. =D
Woah, you are kidding me right? Are they starting to censor Kai less? We need a list of stuff they censored so far. To see how bad it is. I may want to see this episode.
Spoiler
Not a big deal, but I assume they didn't fix the inconsistency on the part were Dadori kills the little kid instead of Freeza. Or did they?

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:31 pm

SSVegetto wrote:Not a big deal, but I assume they didn't fix the inconsistency on the part were Dadori kills the little kid instead of Freeza. Or did they?
That scene will be in Episode 22. I'm hoping they fix this as well. It won't take much. Just newly animate Freeza firing off his Death Beam and change the beam that hits Cargo from yellow to red'ish pink.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:32 pm

SSVegetto wrote:Not a big deal, but I assume they didn't fix the inconsistency on the part were Dadori kills the little kid instead of Freeza. Or did they?
We don't know, Cargo hasn't been killed yet, though it looks like that will happen in the next episode. But if I had guess, I'd say it more than likely won't be fixed.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:11 pm

Hujio wrote:
We don't know, Cargo hasn't been killed yet, though it looks like that will happen in the next episode. But if I had guess, I'd say it more than likely won't be fixed.
From the looks of how less censored things are ever since the whole "Goku vs Raditz" debacle, at least it won't be changed to a "warning shot" or anything.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:29 pm

Maybe I'm forgetting something, but isn't the Makankosappo chest hole really the only form of violence censorship we've seen? I think there were some shots of Raditz spitting up blood that got cut, but I think those are it. We have had some male genitalia censored, but that was expected to happen.

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:32 pm

Wow. The redrawn scenes of Zarbon killing the old Nameks and the young Nameks fighting looked really nice.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:36 pm

Hujio wrote:Maybe I'm forgetting something, but isn't the Makankosappo chest hole really the only form of violence censorship we've seen? I think there were some shots of Raditz spitting up blood that got cut, but I think those are it. We have had some male genitalia censored, but that was expected to happen.
Beyond genitals, I'm pretty sure the censorship stopped after the third episode. Maybe enough people complained or something. Also, Raditz spitting blood is kinda questionable in terms of censorship considering that the amount of blood on his face in Kai is more similar to the manga after the cut.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:49 pm

Hmm, didn't the original shot of the elder have Dende and Cargo under his arm? I might be wrong but...?

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:47 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Hmm, didn't the original shot of the elder have Dende and Cargo under his arm? I might be wrong but...?
That's how it was originally drawn. You're probably thinking of when they first come out of the hut, just before the other elders are forced outside. Once the elders are outside, Cargo clings to the one on the right, which is what was redrawn (shown above). Then later on, after the other two elders are killed by Zarbon, Dende and Cargo are again protected by Muri.

Image Image Image

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:57 pm

That's how it was originally drawn. You're probably thinking of when they first come out of the hut
Thanks Hujio. I really appreciate the pics too, it was bugging me.

SSVegetto
Banned

Post by SSVegetto » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:57 pm

Kendamu wrote:
Hujio wrote:Maybe I'm forgetting something, but isn't the Makankosappo chest hole really the only form of violence censorship we've seen? I think there were some shots of Raditz spitting up blood that got cut, but I think those are it. We have had some male genitalia censored, but that was expected to happen.
Beyond genitals, I'm pretty sure the censorship stopped after the third episode. Maybe enough people complained or something. Also, Raditz spitting blood is kinda questionable in terms of censorship considering that the amount of blood on his face in Kai is more similar to the manga after the cut.
I disagree. Toei added the blood in DBZ means that it was originally intended for the manga. Who knows what Akira Toriyama intended. He probably just drew a couple of frames at parts of Raditz spitting out blood. And he skipped the next frame which was intended for more blood. Or he made a mistake.

And so Toei fixed this for DBZ by drawing more blood out of Raditz's mouth.

So If anything how do we know Toei was not fixing a inconsistency that Akira Toriyama made? What they did for DBZ.

But anyways, it's a good thing that Toei stopped editing stuff like this out. Since they made fun of United States for censoring Dragonball stuff when it came out. It's weird for them to start censoring it.

And also, I hope they fix that part for the Blu Rays that come out.

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:13 am

How is addiing more blood "fixing" it? Sure, I like a good, bloody anime fight as much as the next guy, but adding blood certainly isn't "fixing" some sort of error on Toriyama's part. Hardcore violence isn't really his style. The man writes poop jokes, for goodness sakes!