Kai Episode 30 (1 November 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:33 am

kenisu3000 wrote:Now that I've finally seen the episode, I can say:

Wha... music playing during Gohan's neck-breaker?!! BLASPHEMY!!!
I thought the same thing. Even though the music was dramatic, I thought it would have been just as dramatic to leave out the music like in Z. That's Kai for you.... :?

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:39 am

Shiyonasan wrote:

I thought the same thing. Even though the music was dramatic, I thought it would have been just as dramatic to leave out the music like in Z. That's Kai for you.... :?
Well, in the English dub of DBZ, they'd probably have done the same thing. I can't recall if they actually did, though, so don't hold me to it.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

MaJamie

Post by MaJamie » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:02 am

penguintruth wrote:Why add Goku versus Freeza in the opening, but still keep Tenshinhan, Chaozu and Yamcha at the end of it? They're irrelevant now.
No way. Tenshinhan is at least uselessly following the fighters around in the Cell arc.

Now the fact that Lunch is featured in Kai's ED...

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:30 am

Son Wukong wrote:Only now I begin to think how Masako Nozawa will do during the SSJ transformation. Maybe this time there won't be a mysterious scream?
I guess there's no official explanation for this, but the French manga mentions that when turning Super Saiyan the first time, Goku's language suddenly switch from a usually childish way to speak which reflects his kindness to much more adult talk.

My theory is that they were initially going to reflect that in the anime by changing his voice with an actual male voice actor when he turned Super Saiyan (similarly to a character in a series that one of my friends liked, named Yu-gi-oh! - not sure about the spelling - who has his voice changing to a more adult voice when he changes into his "super form").

The episode ended with that new voice just for the scream. Then they probably decided not to keep up with that when it was time to dub the following episode. That's just a theory, but that's the only logical explanation I can think about. Meaning this time, there probably won't be any mysterious scream.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:27 am

^

To be honest, that same idea has crossed my mind several times. But as you suggested yourself, there is no concrete proof for it…I think.

I actually thought it fitted in just great.

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:12 pm

The new stuff in the intro was great, I just wish there had been more. Most of the redrawn scenes in this episode looked pretty nice too, especially Reacoom's dance.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:20 pm

Cold Skin wrote:The episode ended with that new voice just for the scream. Then they probably decided not to keep up with that when it was time to dub the following episode. That's just a theory, but that's the only logical explanation I can think about. Meaning this time, there probably won't be any mysterious scream.
You seem to have forgotten that Goku talked with Gohan at the end of the episode, informing him that Piccolo was still alive and needed to be taken to the ship.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:05 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Cold Skin wrote:The episode ended with that new voice just for the scream. Then they probably decided not to keep up with that when it was time to dub the following episode. That's just a theory, but that's the only logical explanation I can think about. Meaning this time, there probably won't be any mysterious scream.
You seem to have forgotten that Goku talked with Gohan at the end of the episode, informing him that Piccolo was still alive and needed to be taken to the ship.
Yeah, Metalwario64 is right. Nozawa Masako is voicing Goku at the end of the episode when he speaks to Gohan and tells him to take Piccolo back to the ship. I really don't think they ever intended to have anyone but Nozawa voice Goku, even if he was Super Saiyan. I'd wager that they simply wanted a more manly yell than what Nozawa could provide. I mean, that was an epic moment in the series, where Goku literally unleashed the beast.

Oh, and speaking of that "new voice" for Goku's scream, it's actually not a new voice at all. If you're familiar with the Japanese side of the show, you might recognize it's actually Hori Hideyuki screaming. You'll better know him as the voice of none other than, Ginyu. Oh, the irony. I always found it funny that they let Ginyu voice Goku just one last time.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:54 pm

Hideyuki was in Balck Jack, Huj? Gotta check that out sometime. :wink:
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Deity
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deity » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:20 am

There was a shot in the opening animation, when Gohan jumps out of a plane into Goku's back, where Goku's eyes seem too far apart, looks a bit retarded. It seems they fixed this for this new opening, which is nice lol.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:01 am

Hujio wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
Yeah, Metalwario64 is right. Nozawa Masako is voicing Goku at the end of the episode when he speaks to Gohan and tells him to take Piccolo back to the ship. I really don't think they ever intended to have anyone but Nozawa voice Goku, even if he was Super Saiyan. I'd wager that they simply wanted a more manly yell than what Nozawa could provide. I mean, that was an epic moment in the series, where Goku literally unleashed the beast.

Oh, and speaking of that "new voice" for Goku's scream, it's actually not a new voice at all. If you're familiar with the Japanese side of the show, you might recognize it's actually Hori Hideyuki screaming. You'll better know him as the voice of none other than, Ginyu. Oh, the irony. I always found it funny that they let Ginyu voice Goku just one last time.
Oh, that is quite nice, but where have that been stated?

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:54 pm

alakazam^ wrote:Oh, that is quite nice, but where have that been stated?
If you mean where was this officially stated, it never was. This is just one of those things that came about because fans were very familiar with specific seiyuu's voices. It's the same reason we know Numata Yuusuke provided the Saibaiman and Cell Junior voices/noises. They're never credited, but fans that are very familiar with their voices recognize them. I mean, you don't necessarily have to believe me, but in most circles it is generally accepted, especially on most Japanese fan sites.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:36 am

Hujio wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:

Oh, my bad! I haven't seen this for years so my memory tricks me sometimes! I didn't remember him talking at the end of the episode! Then my sweet theory isn't worth much of anything in the end, that happens sometimes! :)

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:36 pm

Hujio wrote:
alakazam^ wrote:Oh, that is quite nice, but where have that been stated?
If you mean where was this officially stated, it never was. This is just one of those things that came about because fans were very familiar with specific seiyuu's voices. It's the same reason we know Numata Yuusuke provided the Saibaiman and Cell Junior voices/noises. They're never credited, but fans that are very familiar with their voices recognize them. I mean, you don't necessarily have to believe me, but in most circles it is generally accepted, especially on most Japanese fan sites.
I don't agree, when I thought that it should be pitch down of actual Nozawa's scream, I made a test with my sound editing software and since I didn't match perfectly the same deep, I reverted that scream from episode back to Nozawa and for comparison used pitch down on Nozawa's SSJ3 scream performance.....

It's actually Nozawa what I can say, pitched down.
But nobody paid much attention to that thread, so everybody likes Ginyu better as SSJ Goku :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:57 pm

I can't wait for Goku to fight the Gurren Tokusentai.

Captain Kamina is going to be freakin' awesome!