Kai Episode 46 (28 February 2010)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Kai Episode 46 (28 February 2010)

Post by Hujio » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:55 pm

LilKokuLink wrote:Thanks man, are there any features to skip them? I damn hope FUNimation has a marathon feature type thing like the season sets in their release.
Other than hitting the "skip" button on your remote, there's no other way to skip them. You have to do it manually. I really wish there was a marathon feature on these discs, because you could fly through the series in no time. It'd be freakishly crazy how much material you could cover.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:32 pm

The whole "spoiler" thing never really bothered me either. I remember when season three was first airing. I admit there were a lot of things I already had vague ideas at. However, I had no idea that Dende died during the Freeza stuff. And, of course, that was shown in the preview (because at that point, the English previews were, video-wise, the same as the Japanese ones), and the title was "Dende's Demise". I don't recall having any annoyances at finding that out. All it did was cause us to discuss it wildly the next morning at the bus stop about what exactly was going to happen! And then, of course, the SSJ transformation was also in the previews, and we just totally freaked out about that and knowing that it was going to happen... in three days because I think, of course, that episode aired on a Friday. So, really, it just builds up interest knowing what cool things are in store.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:49 am

The "spoilers in the previews" thing isn't exclusive to Dragon Ball. It actually happens pretty widespread in most animated works, but probably most frequent in a show based on a long comic. DB and Z gave away character deaths in the episode titles at least a dozen times or so, and unless you watched it dubbed with the English text title cards, then you probably know a few of them.

As for Kai being made for people who haven't seen the story before... I don't buy that. I don't doubt that there may be some Japanese kids watching it who have never seen Z before, but there probably aren't many. Kai was made to celebrate 20 years of DBZ. If they wanted to bring a new generation of kids around to DBZ, then they probably would have blown the cash on re-animating it from scratch.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:09 am

Like I said, even the English title cards aren't always spoiler free. Again, "Dende's Demise". Can't get more explicit than that. Well, you know, except for the Japanese title...
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:13 am

Another fixed error pops up!

Image Image
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:37 am

obiwan23s wrote:The "spoilers in the previews" thing isn't exclusive to Dragon Ball. It actually happens pretty widespread in most animated works, but probably most frequent in a show based on a long comic. DB and Z gave away character deaths in the episode titles at least a dozen times or so, and unless you watched it dubbed with the English text title cards, then you probably know a few of them.
What I figure is that the "spoilers in the previews" thing is used to get viewers to want to watch the show more. That's what I think anyway...

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:04 am

You think DB/Z/Kai is bad with spoiler previews? Try watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes without being spoiled by the damn narrator half the time.

"They would never meet again."

Gee, thanks, narrator. :roll:
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:12 pm

obiwan23s wrote:I don't doubt that there may be some Japanese kids watching it who have never seen Z before, but there probably aren't many.
Yep.
obiwan23s wrote:Kai was made to celebrate 20 years of DBZ. If they wanted to bring a new generation of kids around to DBZ, then they probably would have blown the cash on re-animating it from scratch.
I disagree, I just don't think it's practical to re-animate the entire thing from scratch just so you can create something you already have. It's pretty obvious that Kai was made to celebrate 20 years of DBZ, I thought that went without saying but other DragonBall merchandise in Japan is mostly being released under the name DragonBall Kai. A prime example is that Kamehameha role-play toy which to me looks like an effort to introduce new and younger fans to the show.
However, it's not like I know all the facts. To me it seems that the primary objective is to indeed celebrate the 20th anniversary and bring a legendary show back to life - but surely there are other secondary purposes like introducing newer fans?

Dammit I just want the new generation of children to suffer for the next episode like we did. :wink:
Hujio wrote:Other than hitting the "skip" button on your remote, there's no other way to skip them. You have to do it manually. I really wish there was a marathon feature on these discs, because you could fly through the series in no time. It'd be freakishly crazy how much material you could cover.
Damn, well I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to press a button. How long are the recaps anyway? Are they minute long ones like the original or shorter?
Sorry for all the questions, I've only watched the first episode :( .
Actions have reactions so don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships that people don't speak of.
Dub fan.
Naveed.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:45 pm

LilKokuLink wrote:Damn, well I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to press a button. How long are the recaps anyway? Are they minute long ones like the original or shorter?
Both the recap and next episode previews are 30 seconds, typically. Each episode runs about 23-24 minutes, with only 20'ish of it actually the episode itself. The rest is stuff like the opening, ending, eyecatch, etc.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:13 pm

Hujio wrote:Both the recap and next episode previews are 30 seconds, typically. Each episode runs about 23-24 minutes, with only 20'ish of it actually the episode itself. The rest is stuff like the opening, ending, eyecatch, etc.
Thanks for the info. :)
Actions have reactions so don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships that people don't speak of.
Dub fan.
Naveed.

mysticgoten
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mysticgoten » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:07 pm

No. Freaking. Way.
They kept that Ginyu Frog Bulma filler in?
"I'm always thinking one step ahead. Like a carpenter. Who makes stairs."
-MysticGoten

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:18 pm

mysticgoten wrote:No. Freaking. Way.
They kept that Ginyu Frog Bulma filler in?
I think that was necessary due to how the animation of the show is, like when Bulma appears as Ginyu to the other guys - it must stay there otherwise some scenes of the fight between Goku and Freeza would be lost. Something like that anyway I'm sure someone else can explain it better than me.
Dub fan.
Naveed.

Flamzeron
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Flamzeron » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:44 pm

I think it's worth noting that this episode takes two episodes of Z, and puts them together.

Also, I'm excited that Goku will go SS1 next episode.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:18 pm

Is still a chance the Ginyu Force on Kaio's planet be in it?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:51 pm

Senzu_Bean wrote:Is still a chance the Ginyu Force on Kaio's planet be in it?
It's quite unlikely seeing as how they didn't appear in this last episode, and if there're not in it today (which I ever so highly doubt they will be) then there's nothing to worry about.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:17 pm

Senzu_Bean wrote:Is still a chance the Ginyu Force on Kaio's planet be in it?
Please no.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:19 am

Why is Piccolo calling Goku "Goku" in this episode, instead of "Son"? It just sounds very off to me, I'm so used to hearing "Son" out of Piccolo's mouth.

Did he call him "Goku" out loud in this portion of the manga perhaps?
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:30 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:Why is Piccolo calling Goku "Goku" in this episode, instead of "Son"? It just sounds very off to me, I'm so used to hearing "Son" out of Piccolo's mouth.

Did he call him "Goku" out loud in this portion of the manga perhaps?
He called him Goku in Z. Did a spot check earlier on reanimated scenes and Piccolo's been calling him by his name. Kinda shows how Piccolo's changed towards him, same way how Vegeta keeps referring to Kuririn and Gohan in completely different ways other than by name until the Cell saga.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]