Kai Episode 49 (21 March 2010)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Khalid Shahin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Kai Episode 49 (21 March 2010)

Post by Khalid Shahin » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:54 pm

General Discussion for DragonBall Kai episode 49, aired 21 March 2010.

仇を討て孫悟空!惑星崩壊のカウントダウン
Kataki o Ute Son Gokuu! Wakusei Houkai no Kauntodaun
Exact Vengeance, Son Goku! The Countdown to the Planet's Collapse
Last edited by Khalid Shahin on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Kai Episode 49 (21 March 2010)

Post by Hujio » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:40 pm

I just wanted to update that we got the romanization wrong for this episode (oops :P), and I forgot to update it on the site. They decided to go with an alternate, less common, pronunciation of 仇. So the proper romanization for this episode should be:

:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Khalid Shahin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Khalid Shahin » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:43 pm

Alright fixed it, is the translation still correct?

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:59 pm

Khalid Shahin wrote:Alright fixed it, is the translation still correct?
It doesn't change the translation at all, just how the episode title is pronounced in Japanese.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:31 pm

Dammit Cutler! You've failed me for the last time!
"You don't know what you're talking about. You're not very smart, and the things you're saying are nonsense. And I'm not angry. But you do need to shut up." - Tycho Brahe

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:31 pm

Hujio wrote: So the proper romanization for this episode should be:

Maybe I'm deeply insane, but isn't that what I had it as before? Kataki is how I'd expect it to be read as, at any rate. What did we have it as before?

edit: Yeah, it was romanized as kataki in the romanization I sent you. So what happened?

Oh, unless you meant to say that they actually read it as ada and not kataki. Ada is what's currently up on the site, anyway.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:04 pm

Herms wrote:Maybe I'm deeply insane, but isn't that what I had it as before? Kataki is how I'd expect it to be read as, at any rate. What did we have it as before?

edit: Yeah, it was romanized as kataki in the romanization I sent you. So what happened?

Oh, unless you meant to say that they actually read it as ada and not kataki. Ada is what's currently up on the site, anyway.
I have no idea what happened, I don't keep track of these things. You know me and my short-term memory. Because I don't remember doing anything except copying what you send, so I have no idea. I was working on the Kai pages and just noticed it. I'm sure I screwed up at some point... :cry:

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:58 pm

So they used the 5 minutes thing. Lets see how many episodes it will take now ;P

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:01 pm

Vino wrote:So they used the 5 minutes thing. Lets see how many episodes it will take now ;P
We've still got another nine chapters before Namek explodes. So that's like, I dunno, roughly three episodes?

Actually, after episode 49... less than that!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:11 pm

Hmmm... no info on how much canon content the episode covered? Well, I guess nobody'll pitch a fit if I do the honors:

This episode covered Chapter 320 (from page 2 on) and the first 8 pages of 321 (plus the panel in 319 of Gohan telling the unconscious Piccolo to wait in the ship while he goes and looks for Bulma).
As for the anime, it covered the second half of DBZ episode 97, and the first 13 and a half minutes of 98.

Less than two chapters of manga in the same episode? Hrmm....

Anyway, I liked how they used "A Moment For Shuddering" in the recap instead of "Premonition Of A Grand Adventure". It's good to switch things up every now and again, so at least they're being versatile with that...

However, I've always liked Goku's line about how "Kuririn was a good guy...", and prefer Z's delivery of it.
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:42 am

This episode did feel more filler-y than usual for Kai. Most of it average filler. Not good, not awful.
I hope the rest of the Freeza fight moves more speedily than this episode though.

One of the longest streaks of redrawn scenes I've seen yet early on in this episode.

The non-redrawn/old artwork looked good for most of this episode though.

I'm really excited for the potential new opening animation once they finish up with this arc. They're going to have to make something new to accommodate Trunks, the jinzoningen, Cell, etc. I just hope it's the entire new opening and they don't just cut and paste a short blip of newness near the end like with Freeza.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:00 am

Looks like they may be dragging out the Freeza fight just a tiny bit, but so far things are going around twice as fast as before. I'm guessing that episode 51 of Kai fits in around episode 101 of Z. I'm predicting that the Freeza arc will be over by episode 54. The fourth Japanese BD box ends there and I'm hoping that they're nice enough to cut things of in a clear manner since the next arc has pretty much nothing to do with the Freeza arc.
(they/she)

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:41 am

Chuquita wrote:I'm really excited for the potential new opening animation once they finish up with this arc. They're going to have to make something new to accommodate Trunks, the jinzoningen, Cell, etc. I just hope it's the entire new opening and they don't just cut and paste a short blip of newness near the end like with Freeza.
I'll be so disappointed if they just use Dragon Soul again with a few scenes switched X_x

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:12 pm

Bura wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I'm really excited for the potential new opening animation once they finish up with this arc. They're going to have to make something new to accommodate Trunks, the jinzoningen, Cell, etc. I just hope it's the entire new opening and they don't just cut and paste a short blip of newness near the end like with Freeza.
I'll be so disappointed if they just use Dragon Soul again with a few scenes switched X_x
I'm with you guys (gals?). I'de only settle with a new song and animation. My hunch says that they will do the right thing though.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:18 pm

If the Jinzouningen arc opens with Dragon Soul and a few scenes switched, I won't be too disappointed. We had Cha-La Head Cha-La with just a few scenes switched until the Boo arc. I really hope that we'll get something new, though, and it'll make me very happy if we do!
(they/she)

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:40 pm

I'm not sure I agree with the line of thinking that we should get a brand new opening/ending song with the new arc. Maybe I'd be willing to concede it would be cool to get all new animation for it (a la the second Makafushigi, but even that was after 100 episodes). Certainly not a brand new song, though. I mean, it's been less than a year at this point that Kai even started, and we already need a new song? I think this is the kind of mentality that leads to the eyecatches changing every fourth episode. Sure, it's nice to see something new, but how are we expected to form any attachment or familiarity to something if it's constantly being replaced by something else? Should Cha-La-Head-Cha-La have been replaced in 1990 with another song that would have been replaced in 1991 and so on? Would Head-Cha-La have the same kind of popularity and resonance with fans if it had only been used for such a short amount of time? Or is it considered THE DBZ song BECAUSE it was used for half a decade and 199 episodes?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:02 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:I'm not sure I agree with the line of thinking that we should get a brand new opening/ending song with the new arc. Maybe I'd be willing to concede it would be cool to get all new animation for it (a la the second Makafushigi, but even that was after 100 episodes). Certainly not a brand new song, though. I mean, it's been less than a year at this point that Kai even started, and we already need a new song? I think this is the kind of mentality that leads to the eyecatches changing every fourth episode. Sure, it's nice to see something new, but how are we expected to form any attachment or familiarity to something if it's constantly being replaced by something else? Should Cha-La-Head-Cha-La have been replaced in 1990 with another song that would have been replaced in 1991 and so on? Would Head-Cha-La have the same kind of popularity and resonance with fans if it had only been used for such a short amount of time? Or is it considered THE DBZ song BECAUSE it was used for half a decade and 199 episodes?
You can't really compare "once an arc/one a year" in Kai and "once a year" in DBZ. You're making things sound more unreasonable than what anyone is asking. 107 weeks does not make a year and nobody ever said anything about having new openings in DBZ once a year just because it's going to take just about one year for the Saiyan and Freeza arcs to finish up. That's a total mix-up of outlooks on your part that assumes things nobody was even thinking.

The idea and expectations people have with the openings falls in line with music in modern Shonen, which Kai got new music in the first place for it to sound more modern. It's not unreasonable to expect a new song for a new arc that has pretty much nothing to do with the previous two arcs that tied into each other very directly in modern Shonen anime.

If they do keep Dragon Soul, that's fine. I like Dragon Soul! Taking it away means I won't hear the super-awesome instrumental version of it in the episodes anymore. I wouldn't mind seeing something new, though.
(they/she)

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:04 pm

Kendamu wrote:If they do keep Dragon Soul, that's fine. I like Dragon Soul! Taking it away means I won't hear the super-awesome instrumental version of it in the episodes anymore. I wouldn't mind seeing something new, though.
Not necessarily. There was an instrumental of "Hitori ja nai" in the very last episode of DBGT, long after it had stopped being used as the closing theme.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:13 pm

Kendamu wrote: You can't really compare "once an arc/one a year" in Kai and "once a year" in DBZ. You're making things sound more unreasonable than what anyone is asking. 107 weeks does not make a year and nobody ever said anything about having new openings in DBZ once a year just because it's going to take just about one year for the Saiyan and Freeza arcs to finish up. That's a total mix-up of outlooks on your part that assumes things nobody was even thinking.
I wasn't trying to make a comparison between the speed of Z's story development vs. Kai's. I was simply stating real time. And by the time the Freeza arc finishes, which is when some people in this thread have stated it would be a good idea to have a new opening song, it will have been about a year since Kai premiered. I'm not at all sure where you're getting the 107 weeks thing from, as I never said it or even alluded to it. But again, I'm talking about real time, in which we all live, which makes no difference whether we're talking about Z or Kai. Because it would be pretty much the same thing if someone in 1990 said it was time for a new DBZ theme song. And I'm not saying nobody ever did. I have no idea if they did or not.

What you appear to be arguing is based in narrative structure, which, I agree, does have a considerable amount of difference between the two series, and I certainly can find no problem with you making the case that it's time for a change based on that. However, that wasn't the point I was trying to make. In fact, (and I'm pretty sure I wrote this in my last post) I agreed that I wouldn't mind updated animation to match the new story arc. I just don't think Dragon Soul has had nearly enough exposure to warrant a new song. And, again just my opinion, I don't think Kai will end up being a long enough series to justify a second theme song at all.

I admit I haven't really kept up with shonen anime at all lately, and I'm certain that you're right that this is part of the trend. It's simply not a trend I agree with. It seems to me to be the same mindset I noticed in the Goku SSJ episode where most people seemed convinced that the transformation scene HAD to have an insert song to go with it. Eh, maybe that's a bit of a leap of logic on my part, but if I'm going to go for it, it's the same mindset that has people complaining about the lack of new BGM in Kai. It's not my favorite soundtrack, I admit, but I don't think repetitiveness is its main problem, and, from what I've read, you seem to agree with me on that, Kendamu.

So, yeah... that's me saying stuff. Please feel free to continue to the conversation. I love a good debate. :D
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:51 pm

I totally agree on that because DBZ was just as repetitive for much longer than Kai ever will be.
(they/she)