Kai Episode 51 (4 April 2010)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Khalid Shahin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Kai Episode 51 (4 April 2010)

Post by Khalid Shahin » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:42 pm

General Discussion for DragonBall Kai episode 51, aired 4 April 2010.

悟空激怒の雄叫び!間に合え…起死回生の願い!
Gokuu Gekido no Osakebi! Ma ni Ae... Kishi-Kaisei no Negai!
Goku's Furious Battle Cry! Make it in Time... The Resurrection Wish!

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Re: Kai Episode 51 (4 April 2010)

Post by Vino » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:28 pm

They kept the Gohan filler...ugh. I was hoping they would at least get rid of that one.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:32 pm

Vino wrote:They kept the Gohan filler...ugh. I was hoping they would at least get rid of that one.
Same here. They wouldn't had to have done a whole lot to remove it either. They could have kept the scene where Gohan left to fight Fri­eza, but never showed him make it there (so the scene where he is moved to Earth makes sense), then they could have cut out the scenes where Goku "returns" that had Gohan in them, or remove him from the shots that he was in if necessary (they've removed characters from shots before...).

I guess it was to end it at the place they wanted to (which was the end of a chapter).

Looks like almost an entire episode will be cut next time. That throwaway, poorly drawn episode (where they seem to color Nameks sky a dark green as opposed to red). It looks like they will nearly skip to the episode where Goku "quits" and Fr­ieza launches his disc at him.
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:33 pm

I'm not 100% certain, since the text was small and blurry, but it looked kind of like Ryuuzaburou "Dabra/Liu Xing Long" Ootomo was credited as the new voice of Porunga.
-Rachel

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:48 pm

Well, I guess this practically shuts down anyone's remaining feeble hope that Gori Daisuke managed to record any Mr. Satan lines before he passed.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:07 pm

It does indeed. If Ootomo isn't cast as Cold and Mark, though, I'd love to see Banjo Ginga brought on for one of them.

We've already used Seiji Sasaki for ReaCoom and Kenji Utsumi for Shen Long...how many other manly-man voice actors does Japan have left? O.o
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:16 pm

JulieYBM wrote:It does indeed. If Ootomo isn't cast as Cold and Mark, though, I'd love to see Banjo Ginga brought on for one of them.
Oh lord, Liquid Satan!

[/you're pretty good *hand gesture*]
"You don't know what you're talking about. You're not very smart, and the things you're saying are nonsense. And I'm not angry. But you do need to shut up." - Tycho Brahe

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:22 am

Vino wrote:They kept the Gohan filler...ugh. I was hoping they would at least get rid of that one.
I think it is even worse that they kept the Vegeta filler scenes in which Vegeta sees Goku as a Super Saiyajin. It contradicts later scenes on earth when Gohan tells that Goku is a Super Saiyajin and Vegeta is surprised. :?

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:08 am

Timo wrote: I think it is even worse that they kept the Vegeta filler scenes in which Vegeta sees Goku as a Super Saiyajin. It contradicts later scenes on earth when Gohan tells that Goku is a Super Saiyajin and Vegeta is surprised. :?
Ok... This episode officially sucked big time... :x

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:16 am

Timo wrote:
I think it is even worse that they kept the Vegeta filler scenes in which Vegeta sees Goku as a Super Saiyajin. It contradicts later scenes on earth when Gohan tells that Goku is a Super Saiyajin and Vegeta is surprised. :?
This is probably also in order to explain his location when he was teleported...
Then again, they should've just left out Gohan and Vegeta teleporting.

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:13 pm

What I hated about this episode:

1) Using the Kamehameha Vs Freeza struggle scene with the recap music

2) Keeping the Gohan Vs Freeza and Vegeta seeing Goku filler

3) The redrawn scenes(again)

Now I fear that they will use the scenes where Vegeta is a prick on Earth..and worst of all that flashback of Vegata.

Close to the manga my ass.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:45 pm

I agree with those who said that those were kept in to get a bead on where these characters were when they were teleported. It's annoying, and, especially with Gohan, they could have worked around it, but eh, here we are. So hopefully things like Vegeta and Gohan's fight on earth and Vegeta's contradictory flashback still will be excised.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

BobZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BobZ » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:13 pm

It turns out Kai is not shortened enough, as it originally claimed to be. Pity.
We have yet to see the really shortened and true to the manga version of the anime.
I still enjoy the show every week though.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:17 pm

Making it frame by frame just isn't always possible, espicially when you have 20-24 minutes an episode. 101 episodes have, however, been brought down to 51...so that's a bit of an "improvement."

Even though I vastly prefer Dragon Ball Z rather than Dragon Ball Kai. And only most of the comic.

As for the episode, I was glad at least TWO episodes were covered this week. We're really looking on schedule to finish the arc up in #54.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Deity
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deity » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:47 pm

Timo wrote:
Really ? that one I wasn't expecting, and it is such a let down for me. What's next ? Garlic Jr. arc ?
And as for trimming down 101 episodes to 51, I'm beggining to think that that is mainly due to the fact that the speed of things is far greater in Kai than in the original Z. Shenlong's usual "welcome" line is delivered in 1 second or something..

Catterix2006
Beyond Newbie

Post by Catterix2006 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:54 pm

I can see why they kept in some of the filler. On a personal level, I quite appreciate it, I was always fond of the Gohan filler against Freeza, it just boosted up his character even more in my eyes. Before I realised it was filler, I really liked the idea of him choosing to face Freeza on his own, with no hope of winning, seemed oddly fitting what with him taking his Dad's mantle in the Cell arc. Made him as brave and foolhardy as his father at that age.

I can see them keeping the Gohan filler in to pace the episode better, not only so they reach the end they wanted in the episode, but also to throw the fight up a bit, 4 episodes of just watching SSJ Goku and Freeza punching each other is more than a tad tedious, even with Kai's increased pace. They plan to be closer to the manga, not be a direct adaptation, it goes without saying that episodes and manga chapters require a different pace.

The keeping of the Vegeta filler, however, was just stupid. Whereas the Gohan filler can be forgiven, this one actually contradicts the original story. The story they're intending to keep closer to... Ah well, can't say I'm fussed. It's brilliant to just think how we've cut down so much in Kai, even if their editing since around episode 40 has been ridiculously sloppy.
I love humans, always seeing patterns in things that aren't there.

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:24 am

This retaining of so much filler makes me almost not like Kai anymore.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:45 am

Catterix2006 wrote:I can see why they kept in some of the filler. On a personal level, I quite appreciate it, I was always fond of the Gohan filler against Freeza, it just boosted up his character even more in my eyes. Before I realised it was filler, I really liked the idea of him choosing to face Freeza on his own, with no hope of winning, seemed oddly fitting what with him taking his Dad's mantle in the Cell arc. Made him as brave and foolhardy as his father at that age.

I can see them keeping the Gohan filler in to pace the episode better, not only so they reach the end they wanted in the episode, but also to throw the fight up a bit, 4 episodes of just watching SSJ Goku and Freeza punching each other is more than a tad tedious, even with Kai's increased pace. They plan to be closer to the manga, not be a direct adaptation, it goes without saying that episodes and manga chapters require a different pace.

The keeping of the Vegeta filler, however, was just stupid. Whereas the Gohan filler can be forgiven, this one actually contradicts the original story. The story they're intending to keep closer to... Ah well, can't say I'm fussed. It's brilliant to just think how we've cut down so much in Kai, even if their editing since around episode 40 has been ridiculously sloppy.
The Gohan filler is also stupid...

When Freeza turned into his final form, Gohan couldn`t even keep up with him, and Freeza wasn`t even using half his full power. Then, both Gohan and Krillin gave most of their Ki to Piccolo so that he could keep Freeza busy while Goku formed the Genki Dama and, after that, when they later attacked Freeza with Ki blasts, Piccolo commented on how they were trying to help even though they only had little ki left, since they gave most to Piccolo.

But somehow, in the Gohan filler, he can keep up with final form Freeza (presumingly at 70% power) and he can even beat him up, forcing Freeza to go to his 100% state. That is just stupid... I know that Gohan always finds incredible power when he gets angry, but in this case Gohan had very little power left and the most he could do, even at full power, to save someone he cared about (Piccolo) and becoming angry in the process, was to drive 3rd form Freeza to the ground... He didn`t receive any zenkai since that moment, so, even at full power, that was probably the most power he could summon while being angry at that time. And 3rd form Freeza doesn`t compare to 50% final form freeza, 70% final form Freeza or 100% final form Freeza.

So, in short, that filler is bullshit. And so is the Vegeta filler. They are among the worst filler moments in the series.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:13 am

Plus Gohan doesn't sense Goku's ki, which is impossible cause a Super Saiyan cannot decrease his power output. (at least not at this time)

First time Kai seriously disappointments me. :cry:

Fishman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fishman » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:36 pm

Senzu_Bean wrote:Plus Gohan doesn't sense Goku's ki, which is impossible cause a Super Saiyan cannot decrease his power output. (at least not at this time)

First time Kai seriously disappointments me. :cry:
This is really only the first time?

You're telling me it's taken you fifty-one episodes to realize that Dragon Ball Kai is no more than Toei's Cash-In Hack-Job to "refresh" their revenue source (Don't tell me Toei values it as anything more than that, either.) the series? We've endured the mess-free Makankosappo, Starburst-orange Kaioken, "I can't believe it's not goldenrod" Super Saiya-jin hair, forced black-hair Vegeta (but never on a consistent basis), removal of any sort of flashes of light (AGH YOU SHOT ME IN THE EYE, GOOD THING IT DIDN'T FLASH THE SCREEN TOO BRIGHTLY, WE DON'T WANT THE CHILLINS GETTIN' SEIZURES. THANKS FOR BEING A PAL, KAKAROTTO!) the outright refusal to fix glaringly obvious animation errors, an overwhelming lack of effort put into the reanimated scenes (particularly in the coloring), and you're only just now coming to the conclusion that Dragon Ball Kai is an enormous disappointment?

Honestly, I'd say it's the worst thing to happen to the series. About as bad as anything Funimation ever did to it in the name of profit.
Super Saiyan Blue is not a creative color.
DBZ Movie 3 told a stronger and more believable "Evil Goku" story in 60 minutes than Dragon Ball Super has in 20 episodes. And it did it with better visuals and score.