Kai Episode 91 (30 January 2011)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Kai Episode 91 (30 January 2011)

Post by RazorX » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:53 pm

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Kai episode 91. Originally broadcast 30 January 2011.

怒れ悟飯!眠れる力を解き
Ikare Gohan! Nemureru Chikara o Hodoki
Get Angry Gohan! Unleash Your Dormant Power

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Kai Episode 91 (30th January 2011)

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:36 pm

Really loved Cell's "Ora, ora, ora, orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaa!!!" in this episode. This episode covers #182 through half of #183. Next week will finish #183 and #184.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:49 pm

This episode mirrored its Z counterpart until the end, #16's ambush was too abrupt and it seemed like Toei rushed into it.

Really happy that Toei kept the flashbacks in this episode, aside from helping to get the point across, I like it when the actors have the opportunity to redub material they dubbed before.

Next week is Gohan's SSJ2 transformation. We'll find out how Toei did. I'm not expecting it to be as good as Z's with that awesome Spirit vs Spirit insert song, but I do hope it gives the intended feel for the scene.

Ussj Future Trunks
Regular

Post by Ussj Future Trunks » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:10 am

Most of the transformations in Kai have been lacklustre so I hope they pull this off. Wonder how much of Cell Juniors vs Z fighters will be cut?
Simian upstart...none surpass me. No one even comes close! BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND! I am emperor of the universe. The likes of you are only fit to grovel at my feet. Or better still...to be crushed...LIKE AN INSECT AT THE WHIM OF YOUR MASTER!

- Freeza, DBZ Kai.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:28 pm

Ussj Future Trunks wrote:Most of the transformations in Kai have been lacklustre so I hope they pull this off. Wonder how much of Cell Juniors vs Z fighters will be cut?
Very true. But just the fact that I can rewatch Gohan transform in godly Blu-ray quality with new voice recordings, a better episode title and a new drawn bird (though I liked the previous white one slightly better) brings a bright shiny smile on my face. :mrgreen:
RazorX wrote:#16's ambush was too abrupt and it seemed like Toei rushed into it.
I think it was a perfect blood pressure rising moment just after Cell stole the senzu beans. Speaking about #16, I've said before that some of his dialogue were kind of ''odd'', like warning Tenshinhan to leave, and in this episode it was no different. Just apologizing to everyone for all the suffering the Jinzōningen caused moments before he is about to blow himself up is very odd and cool and the same time. But maybe that's just me.

EDIT: Damn it, the bird is still the same...oh well.
Last edited by Son Wukong on Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:49 pm

The animation supervisor for DBZ episode 182, which was in this episode, is Yuuji Hakamada according to the ending credits, but I noticed that it's also done by Masahiro Shimanuki. Shimanuki also served as the chief animator (supervisor of a new animation supervisor) in DBZ episode 177. It's not credited, though.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:21 pm

kei17 wrote:The animation supervisor for DBZ episode 182, which was in this episode, is Yuuji Hakamada according to the ending credits, but I noticed that it's also done by Masahiro Shimanuki. Shimanuki also served as the chief animator (supervisor of a new animation supervisor) in DBZ episode 177. It's not credited, though.
That's interesting. Some of the work does seem to have Shimanuki's touch, now that I think about it.

By the way Kei is there any chance of you doing more of those animator AMVs? I've loved your Kuda, Shimanuki, Tate, and Uchiyama videos and I'd love to have more of them for reference. :)
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:32 pm

JulieYBM wrote:By the way Kei is there any chance of you doing more of those animator AMVs? I've loved your Kuda, Shimanuki, Tate, and Uchiyama videos and I'd love to have more of them for reference. :)
I made a Taichirou Kohara video, not Uchiyama. Well, I'll make more later. The next one will be Takeo Ide.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:34 pm

kei17 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:By the way Kei is there any chance of you doing more of those animator AMVs? I've loved your Kuda, Shimanuki, Tate, and Uchiyama videos and I'd love to have more of them for reference. :)
I made Kohara one, not Uchiyama. Well, I'll make more later. The next one will be Takeo Ide.
Oh wow, this isn't Uchiyama? :oops:

Nonetheless, thanks for the update!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:50 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
kei17 wrote:I made Taichirou Kohara one, not Uchiyama. Well, I'll make more later. The next one will be Takeo Ide.
Oh wow, this isn't Uchiyama? :oops:

Nonetheless, thanks for the update!
You've reuploaded my works! Thanks. I cannot see that video for the copyright problem, though. It's not Uchiyama, but Taichirou Kohara (maybe Obara, Ohara) is an animator belongs to Last House in which Uchiyama also does, so they have very similar style.

Since it's being slightly off-topic, back to Kai. There will also be a non-credited work in the next episode. Key animations of 16's long speech and Gohan's transformation were done by Naoki Miyahara. This is the reason why the final few minutes look different (and better) than previous scenes.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:54 pm

No problem. I didn't notice whether or not you had created a new account so I figured I'd re-upload a few things for reference.
kei17 wrote:There will also be a non-credited work in the next episode. Key animations of 16's long speech and Gohan's transformation were done by Naoki Miyahara. This is why the final few minutes look different (and better) than previous scenes.
Oh wow, that's Miyahara? I always figured that was still Masunaga. I'm going to have too look at what other episode Miyahara worked on...
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:27 am

RazorX wrote:怒れ悟飯!眠れる力を解き
Ikare Gohan! Nemureru Chikara o Hodoki
Get Angry Gohan! Unleash Your Dormant Power
Apparently they slightly changed the title from what was initially announced, so that the actual one is:

怒れ悟飯!秘めた力を解き放て
Ikare Gohan! Himeta Chikara o Tokihanate
Get Angry, Gohan! Unleash Your Hidden Power

Or at least that's what Hujio told me. But I didn't actually watch the episode, so I can't confirm this.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:58 am

'Ikare Gohan! Himeta Chikara o Tokihanate'

Just rewatched the episode. This is the correct title.

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:45 am

Is there any doubt in anyone's mind that it's NOT going to be "Heroic Face Off" as the background music to Gohan's transformation? I'm calling it at least :p I liked the episode and I didn't really feel 16's actions as being rushed. Though I do think that if you know the outcome it's a poor cliffhanger XD Probably they could've cut a bit more in the middle of the episode to make something else a cliffhanger, but on the other hand the next episode will probably end with Gohan transforming, so I guess this was for the best :p

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:38 pm

I caved.... :mrgreen:

Gohan's totally miss Universe. Here, here.

Cell was being too mild, Goku still doesn't have a clue, those senzus got taken way too easily and 16's plan was actually really clever...weren't it for the inconvenient truth.

But hey....they got serious. I mean, the action background was drop dead black, man. :lol:

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:04 am

A little off topic, but I think I found the perfect theme for the 'BIG' transformation next episode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUOnSjYq ... re=related
I'll be disappointed if they don't use this. We'll find out tomorrow though, I can't wait!!! I'll cry if thy use 'A Moment For Shuddering'. :roll: :cry: :P

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:41 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:A little off topic, but I think I found the perfect theme for the 'BIG' transformation next episode:
I'll be disappointed if they don't use this. We'll find out tomorrow though, I can't wait!!! I'll cry if thy use 'A Moment For Shuddering'. :roll: :cry: :P
I think the song you linked to would work well for the transformation. If they use "A Moment for Shuddering" I will cry right along with you. That has got to be one of the most overused background pieces in Kai.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:32 pm

I can almost guarantee you that Heroic Face-off is NOT going to be used tomorrow. Maybe next week when Gohan transformation scene is shown much slower. I will eat my shoe though if it gets used tomorrow.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:34 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:A little off topic, but I think I found the perfect theme for the 'BIG' transformation next episode:
I don't think they'll use that somehow.

Most likely, they have kept Piano Suite (The Awakening) for that moment. If most of that track can hardly be used because of its weird "old theater comedy" style, they will probably use the tragedy crescendo part, which would be perfect indeed, as it sounds pretty much like a composition for the final level of a Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts.
Just a classy piano, a melody which basically means "the moment that decides the fate of the world has arrived", and a track which has been deliberately kept out for all this time and basically titled "The Awakening"... And it would be a good choice indeed, sometimes the most thrilling emotions are not created by the most epic music available, but by keeping it simple with only a piano to paradoxically underline how big the moment is!

However, if another music is to be played, I can also see the intro to One Hit To Victory being used: church-like background vocals singing the same "the moment that decides the fate of the world has arrived", followed by violins playing a "something has broken inside" part... Hmm, interesting...

These are my two bets and what I consider the best solutions:
1. Piano Suite (The Awakening) - that is, using the right part of the track, of course.
2. One Hit To Victory.

Now, we have to wait a few hours to see who's expectations and hopes will come true!! 8)
In any case, I think they'll do a cool job, I won't be disappointed cause I've never been with Kai so far!