Kai Episode 92 (06 February 2011)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Kai Episode 92 (6th February 2011)

Post by kenisu3000 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:37 am

Anyone who wants to hear Kai's theme for Super Saiyan 2 Gohan, I've uploaded it to YouTube.
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

Ashy-kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashy-kun » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:49 am

Oh, God, that is good. My only complaint might be that the start of Gohan's scream is a little off. Then it gets good. But then I always have a hit-and-miss reaction to Nozawa nowadays, it seems.
Your freelance, amateur translator, with over a year's worth of self-taught experience. Once an honorary member of Team Kinniku, and a man with his work shown in various places here and there. If you have a song you'd like me to look over, I'll happily look it over and see if I can translate it for you.

Most Recent Song Added to Ashy-kun's Song Translation Topic: Yoake no Kodomo-tachi (Translated: The Children of the Dawn)

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:31 am

Fee, I don't like that BGM at all. I really like Yamamoto's music in games and few tracks in Kai despite his ''stealing'' talent (like he has sharingan in his possesion or what).
But I don't like those chorals like: I wanna be epic epic in some kind of Hollywood cheesiness.
Chorals worked in duel on the fates in Star Wars, but not here and not with this kind of approach.
I assume that Gohan is Bishonen sent by god to fight satanic forces
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:34 am

The music itslef is acceptable, but it was just... not "Dragon Ball". I don't want generic Hollywood-like grand music for Dragon Ball. What music did Yamamoto refer this time?

*I don't want to be a wet blanket, but most of the Japanese DB fans on 2ch board seem to be totally outraged by the music.
Last edited by kei17 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:50 am

Awesome music choice.
I definately prefer it over the J-Pop cheese in 'z'.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:08 am

I really liked the episode, I forgot how much I enjoyed seeing Tenshinhan and Yamcha help out Son in his time of need.
Kuririn being knee'd in the back almost brought a tear to my eye, I felt so friggin' bad for the guy.
Nozawa was... great, but the scream didn't deliver for me. She was just screaming, I didn't feel any anger, any kind of explosion. Felt kinda' 'generic Nozawa scream'. Her acting beforehand was great though, being sorry that he couldn't summon the power he needed, you just felt for him.
Another great Kai episode... the music was good, no Unmei no Hi, but what is?

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:14 pm

Didn't like the new bgm, and is it me or is the transformation really too fast? Like, one blink and it's over. Love the rest of the episode though.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:36 pm

kei17 wrote:The music itslef is acceptable, but it was just... not "Dragon Ball". I don't want generic Hollywood-like grand music for Dragon Ball. What music did Yamamoto refer this time?

*I don't want to be a wet blanket, but most of the Japanese DB fans on 2ch board seem to be totally outraged by the music.
Yeah, I can toally understand their sentiments. Generally speaking, I really wish the Kikuchi score had been used for Dragon Ball Kai, or even having Kikuchi create new pieces in the same vein that he did twenty years ago. Bringing back Kageyama for a 2011 version of Unmei no Hi wouldn't been awesome, too.

Here's the scene in HD.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:52 pm

Thank you for posting the clip JulieYBM.

I found the beginning of the scream a bit off. I do like the new BGM piece but I just really don't like it with the scene that much.

Also as others have said it seems the transformation was over in a blink of an eye.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:31 pm

kei17 wrote:The music itslef is acceptable, but it was just... not "Dragon Ball". I don't want generic Hollywood-like grand music for Dragon Ball. What music did Yamamoto refer this time?

You know, I agree to an extent. This really doesn't feel like DragonBall to me either. I think it worked decently well for the scene, but Unmei no Hi-- yeah, I'll stop nailing that one into the ground.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:32 pm

I liked it. Nowhere near as good as Spirit vs. Sprit but leagues better than how Yamamoto handled Goku's SSJ transformation and light years ahead of Faulconer's.

It's like Jesus came back to kick Cell's ass. :shock:

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:38 pm

To those who were saying it was too fast, have you seen the original manga?
The transformation happens over about three pages, one of which is a full splash.

Its supposed to be fast, like a switch being flicked.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:39 pm

Castor Troy wrote:I liked it. Nowhere near as good as Spirit vs. Sprit but leagues better than how Yamamoto handled Goku's SSJ transformation and light years ahead of Faulconer's.

It's like Jesus came back to kick Cell's ass. :shock:
Well it's ACTUALLY the Father, the Son GOHAN, and the Holy Spirit. ;D
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:48 pm

I absolutely loved the new piece. I've gotta be honest, I think it surpassed Spirit Vs. Spirit *Dodges rocks; misses one and gets hit in the face*...Ow...Uh, anyway. I agree that it wasn't your stereotypical "DragonBall" music. But let's be honest, a lot of Kai's music isn't. The point of Kai IS to try and modernize the series, so I think after over 90 Episodes, it's kind of fruitless to complain when they add something more modern into the series since we've known that this was their goal.

My only complaint was that the piece sort of just, abruptly cut in. I think it would have been better if it faded in. This is actually the same problem that I had with Goku's SSJ Transformation. It just goes from near silence to sudden burst of intense music.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:12 pm

The more I watch it, the more I'm on board with it.
Especially after the scream and pan shots of everyone's reaction. The big reveal of Gohan's new form is really well matched by the soft choir in the background.
It's really epic... not sure whether that's a good or bad thing yet. It's certainly not very Dragon Ball, but it kind of gets a pass, 'cause it's only one occasion.. and what an occasion. :)
I also actually like how fast this moment is (especially the sped-up pan shots), it kind of aids the intensity of the scene.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:17 pm

That was freaking modern. I don't recognize Hollywood in it (luckily) but someone who never watched this before wouldn't dare to call it 15+ years old. I liked it a lot, it's definitely not bad. I kind of understand why they left out the bird chirping. It woulnd't fit within the orchestra. [unnecessary]Spirit vs Spirit is way better though[/unnecessary]
Son Wukong wrote:I'd rather wait untill the Cell Games before I decide whether his voice acitng is better, worse or the same as before in DBZ.
Now I'll answer this for myself. The voice of Wakamoto is not the same as in DBZ, it's definitely changed due to his age. But, the quality is still damn good. Personally I think I'd be an asshole to judge any of the voice actors or actresses because of their age.

EDIT:
Youtube comment from kenisu3000 upload:
"OST IV appears to have been cancelled"

This might be a big hint that Toei has change their minds and we might get...

Freakin'

Buu

Saga

Somehow confirm this ASAP.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:31 pm

Gozar wrote:My only complaint was that the piece sort of just, abruptly cut in. I think it would have been better if it faded in. This is actually the same problem that I had with Goku's SSJ Transformation. It just goes from near silence to sudden burst of intense music.
I totally agree with it. There should be more silence (less than a second at least) between Cell's dialogue and the beginning of the music.

AoiKageNoChikara
Beyond Newbie

Post by AoiKageNoChikara » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:04 pm

Gozar wrote:I absolutely loved the new piece. I've gotta be honest, I think it surpassed Spirit Vs. Spirit *Dodges rocks; misses one and gets hit in the face*...Ow...Uh, anyway. I agree that it wasn't your stereotypical "DragonBall" music. But let's be honest, a lot of Kai's music isn't. The point of Kai IS to try and modernize the series, so I think after over 90 Episodes, it's kind of fruitless to complain when they add something more modern into the series since we've known that this was their goal.

My only complaint was that the piece sort of just, abruptly cut in. I think it would have been better if it faded in. This is actually the same problem that I had with Goku's SSJ Transformation. It just goes from near silence to sudden burst of intense music.
THANK YOU!! *Bows* you just said everything I think about this. I mean I know and respect their thoughts with the Kikuchi Score... but what to they expect?... what do they hope for?... they would like Kai to sound exactly like the old version when Kai tries to look and sound modern to get DB to a new generations? when Anime Like One piece, Naruto, Death Note, dude even games have a heck of an orchestra!! while in Z I keep hearing the horrid "Twoink Twoink" String Effect. I've also read some complains for DBO's music... cuz it had music similar to The Elder Scrolls :shock:

... I know people don't have to agree with me in everything... but to pick on this music for using Choirs and orchestra similar to Hollywood movies (Which I don't even hear a resemblance)... that's not cool man :cry: but well... like the webmaster says.... Welcome to the Internet!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:40 pm

AoiKageNoChikara wrote:THANK YOU!! *Bows* you just said everything I think about this. I mean I know and respect their thoughts with the Kikuchi Score... but what to they expect?... what do they hope for?... they would like Kai to sound exactly like the old version when Kai tries to look and sound modern to get DB to a new generations? when Anime Like One piece, Naruto, Death Note, dude even games have a heck of an orchestra!! while in Z I keep hearing the horrid "Twoink Twoink" String Effect. I've also read some complains for DBO's music... cuz it had music similar to The Elder Scrolls :shock:
I do like orchestra music, but it's just not appropriate for Dragon Ball, which has the strong B-movie taste and is action-packed. Kai's score is too rich. Every piece is too grand, too dramatic, and too long. It's just like a heavy steak. I would want some simple sandwiches rather than a heavy steak for everyday lunch. There should be more fast, cheap, instant, and short pieces. Do you think old Jackie Chan movies would be better with the modern orchestral score? I don't think so.

AoiKageNoChikara
Beyond Newbie

Post by AoiKageNoChikara » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:04 pm

I do like orchestra music, but it's just not appropriate for Dragon Ball, which has the strong B-movie taste and is action-packed. Kai's score is too rich. Every piece is too grand, too dramatic, and too long. It's just like a heavy steak. I would want some simple sandwiches rather than a heavy steak for everyday lunch. There should be more fast, cheap, instant, and short pieces. Do you think old Jackie Chan movies would be better with the modern orchestral score? I don't think so
I wouldn't mind eating steak everyday O.O XD Ì'm on a well needed diet right now XD.

I understand, but Gotta think about the franchise. Kai tries to give our beloved anime to a new generation, do you think new generation would like the "twoink twoink" string effect? or maybe the generic guitar atleast went getting better until buu saga? remember the music for the 4th movie special? it had choirs, and to me it sounds brilliantly epic, and let me get it straight, thinks have to move on :) I remember Kikuchi did the score for mazinger anime series, in the new mazinger series (I believe it's name is Shin Mazinger Z or something like that) it recieved a far more epic orchestral music, even choral. I don't want dragon ball to stay in the same freaking thing for all centuries. If I were to say, it's so not dragonball, I would have to bash the games, GT's best highlight, even the choral piece kikuchi composed for one of the db movies (piccolo's death theme gotta be straight if Db has the strong feel of a b-movie it would be martial arts and that choral piece sounds more like a rather old horror-dramatic movie. not an bruce lee movie XD).

LEAVE JACKIE OUT OF THIS!!! XD... to answer you that question. Of course not, but I remember Drunken Master 2 had a kind of a "Kai" version with diferent movie. and it was better IMO. atleast in the final fight, and so, Kai must have some good moments, it's fair! I love Dbz, but I'll always have Both Z and the Kikuchi Score, I might as well enjoy Kai for what it is, if Kai had been reanimated. not just remastered, the same would happen, if they somehow do a dragon ball epic RPG, it may come with epic music. gotta enjoy something for what it is, not for how I want it to be :)