Kai Episode 95 (06 March 2011)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Son Wukong
Regular

Re: Kai Episode 95 (6th March 2011)

Post by Son Wukong » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:19 pm

Tsukento wrote:
Son Wukong wrote:I think it worked pretty well. I'm curious though, to know how you figured out that particular scene wasn't supposed to be/sound ''that'' heroic.
Easy. The world is in danger. If Gohan hits Cell, he blows up. If no one does anything, Cell blows up. If anything even remotely happens to stir Cell up, he explodes. It's a dire situation and absolutely no one can do a thing about it, except for Goku. Yes, he does a heroic thing by figuring a way to get rid of Cell without him detonating on Earth, but there's a catch.

Goku will die in the process, even if he's saving everyone. He's come to that conclusion. He knows he's going to die. Everyone else realized it the moment he warped away in front of Cell. Then come his final words to Gohan, praising him for how strong he's gotten and asking him to tell his mother that he's sorry for being so selfish all the time. He says goodbye to his son, a slight wince in his eyes before focusing on teleporting himself and Cell away from the earth.

Then comes the reality of things to everyone that Goku was serious and indeed sacrificed himself.

The entire scene is a dire situation that's dark and moody. The music chosen in Kai comes off as triumphant, with the heroic part coming across as if the hero saved the day. The piece in question sounds much more fitting for use when GOHAN is the one to ultimately get rid of Cell. It doesn't let it sink in for the viewers that Goku is going to die or that he's bidding farewell to everyone as if he's not coming back.
I don't think it's great what they've done but it's definitely not the epitome of garbage like some of the above comments say it was. Would I think of a heroic sacrifice if I would only listen to the musical piece? Probably not. But even then I think the combination worked pretty well. So instead of trying to explain to me separately what is happening both visually and acoustically I would suggest that you rewatch that scene again and pay attention to both.
The context of the episode as a whole is dark and mood but the moment of Goku deciding his sacrifice is not entirely so. We see a softly smiling Goku set against a softly green sparkly background. And how does the music start? Softly, as it should. Next we see the strongest warrior helplessly on his knees while the villain is enjoying himself. The music builds up to show that something grand is about to happen in this dire situation. Then the music phases out so you can only hear Kuririn and co. echoing while Goku transports. Goku arrives like a real hero with the grand music and tells Gohan how great he did but when he tells him to say sorry to his mom there is a slight sad violin peak noticeable. Then the music grows again rapidly when the big moment of the last transportation arrives and ends as fast as the scene plays off. At this moment people do and should have an idea that what Goku did indeed was heroic but he still won't be coming back.
Is it great? No, I never implied it was. Did it get the job done? I think it did.

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Kai Episode 95 (6th March 2011)

Post by Coola Yagami » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:37 am

Ahiru77 wrote:Part 1

And here it is. Cell returns just like that and shoots Trunks. (It almost sounded as if Cell didn't really aim at anyone, making this thing even cheaper lol.)[/size]

Cell wasn't aiming at anyone in particular. He just blasted someone. I dunno about Kai, but the original line, after everyone freaked out about Trunks being killed was 'Trunks... so that's who I hit."