Kai Episode 95 (06 March 2011)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Kai Episode 95 (06 March 2011)

Post by RazorX » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:10 pm

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Kai episode 95. Originally broadcast 6th March 2011.

バイバイみんな!これが地球を救う唯一の道
Bai-Bai Min'na! Kore ga Chikyū o Sukū Yui'itsu no Michi
Bye-Bye Everyone! This is the Only Way to Save the Earth

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Kai Episode 95 (6th March 2011)

Post by Ahiru77 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:22 pm

Part 1
So Goku sacrifices himself due to Gohan's inability to finish the job...

...correct that....

...Goku, King Kai, Gregory AND Bubbles sacrifice themselves due to Gohan's inability to finish the job. Well so much for solitary hero, eh Goku ?

With that, they all come out with neat little halos just happily floating there. As if they didn't feel anything at all. So much for emotional weight or anything like that. :roll:

Krillin & Gohan still have a beautiful scene here.

Part 2
And here it is. Cell returns just like that and shoots Trunks. (It almost sounded as if Cell didn't really aim at anyone, making this thing even cheaper lol.)Gohan just smiles it off and Vegeta barely notices. Boo, Gohan, boooo....lol.

Trunks lets them know he needs a senzu bean, like he actually tanked that! (Boss....too bad Team Kai doesn't have any.)

Then after a few name calling and a gajillion minutes later, Vegeta reacts....frickin kudos to the son of a gun playing the rinky dink piano tune in the background just to emphasize how completely off this scene actually is.

Then Vegeta Ki-rages on Cell. An awful decision on his part because when you finally have the right to an righteous outburst.....you....attack....PHYSICAL. Your punches will land. Vegeta didn't get the memo and bam there he goes.

A few moments later and Vegeta can now proudly wear the "I've been saved by Gohan-chan."-shirt. :lol:

In general, I still find this episode PERFECT. Go Akira!
Last edited by Ahiru77 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:30 pm

The episode ended with Cell preparing his Kamehame-ha.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:38 am

I like how they all say Kamehame-HA!!! in the next episode preview. Gives me that ''furu pawa'' feeling. :lol:

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:07 pm

The music selection was such as bad as always. The scene when Goku teleports with Cell is not supposed to sound that heroic. In addition, no silence while showing everyone's shocked face made the scene less dramatic.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:29 pm

kei17 wrote:The scene when Goku teleports with Cell is not supposed to sound that heroic.
Which piece was it?
-Joey

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:31 pm

jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:
kei17 wrote:The scene when Goku teleports with Cell is not supposed to sound that heroic.
Which piece was it?
It was "Courage Fills The Heart" on Soundtrack III.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:35 pm

kei17 wrote:It was "Courage Fills The Heart" on Soundtrack III.
Ooh, that is bad.

They should've used A Disasterous Spectacle.
-Joey

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:41 pm

I liked the use of that piece. In DBZ, the music in the scene emphasizes the sudden tragic nature, and in Kai, it emphasizes the heroic sacrifice, but I think both work.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:45 pm

kei17 wrote:The music selection was such as bad as always. The scene when Goku teleports with Cell is not supposed to sound that heroic. In addition, no silence while showing everyone's shocked face made the scene less dramatic.
I 100% agree with this. The musical selection for that scene was terrible. It just completely ruined the scene for me but I have never been crazy about that piece of music either.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:48 pm

penguintruth wrote:I liked the use of that piece. In DBZ, the music in the scene emphasizes the sudden tragic nature, and in Kai, it emphasizes the heroic sacrifice, but I think both work.
I can understand your opinion, but seeing bloated Cell laughing with a heroic and peaceful track is awfully bad. The scene shoud be more desperate. There should be a sense of urgency.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:37 pm

I'm going to third the general opinion on using "Courage Fills The Heart" when Goku makes his decision and warps himself and Cell to Kaio's planet. I can see what they were going for (an opposing juxtaposition to evoke viewer emotion), but it doesn't work. Something closer to a slow, despairing theme would have nailed it.

Another musical choice that felt wonky to me was "Bubbles' Dance", during the first afterlife scene after Goku's sacrifice to save Earth from Cell, and Kaio just won't accept the former's apology for getting him dragged into it as well. If this scene just stood alone for this very purpose, it would have worked. But this is where Goku discovers that Cell survived the explosion, and even though the music ends right about there, there shouldn't have been any music to begin with. Silence would have lent a sense of foreboding to the scene, telling the viewer (on a subconscious level) that even though something comical is happening onscreen, something's still not quite right.
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:30 am

Ehhhh, not impressed with this ep. A list of thoughts on th ep below:
- Is it just me or did this episode feel awfully rushed. It might b becaus I'm familiar with this part of the sries and was expecting Vegeta to be blasting Cell for about 6mins.
- Poor musical choices throughout this episode. The two most annoying being:
A. Bubble's Dance coming in right after 'A Requiem to Those Who Lost Their Lives' (I think that's what it's called). I almost burst out laughing.
B. A 'Heroic Face-Off' playing after Gohan gets up with his fucked-up arm. No sense of desperation at all.
- A lot of silence, a little too much for me.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:48 am

jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:
kei17 wrote:It was "Courage Fills The Heart" on Soundtrack III.
Ooh, that is bad.

They should've used A Disasterous Spectacle.
Definitely. But that's too natural, so I tried to put something different. Surprisingly, this piece played when Vegeta is shocked by Trunks' death, but it was poorly chopped off.
Last edited by kei17 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:00 am

I still have to watch this episode, but reading that Courage Fills The Heart was used for Goku's scene makes me excited! They understood that it's not a bad moment but a most beautiful one, the last seconds during which Goku gets to live before going forever (or so it is thought at this point)... and he uses this last moment to act like the supreme hero he's become and he always had the potential to be. No tears, no yelling at Gohan for his carelessness, he just smiles, says "sorry, but there's kinda only one way to fix this" as if it was nothing big, and just tells his son how proud he is, and how lucky he's been, being able to watch him grow into this supreme warrior. Classy, smiling and positive to the very end, why should the music be anything else than a positive music to show us the ultimate act of bravery and kindness Goku does with a positive attitude? Much better than focusing on Gohan's sadness and tragedy, which can be explored later when he cries to the ground...

If anything, to me, the music is a real tribute to the character of Goku himself, only showing heroism and thinking about the positive outcome of his decision for everybody, no tragedy at all in his mind. The choice of music is just in perfect association with this ultimate depiction of the character, allowing the audience to see we should consider this as nothing but a really beautiful moment in the whole history of our hero. Well, that's my own perception of things anyway, not an absolute truth at all, of course... 8)

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:44 pm

kei17 wrote:The music selection was such as bad as always. The scene when Goku teleports with Cell is not supposed to sound that heroic.
I think it worked pretty well. I'm curious though, to know how you figured out that particular scene wasn't supposed to be/sound ''that'' heroic.

Zionist
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zionist » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:07 pm

I felt a tear attempting to push it's way out :cry: Can't wait for the final battle
Rocketman wrote:Who gives a shit about a Broly fan's feelings.
Zoms wrote:That moment when you relate your ship to glass tubes...

Mosaic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mosaic » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:49 pm

Kai is going to be 98 episodes total right?

So the next episode seems to be the defeat of Cell. I'm guessing 97 will be the aftermath episode (the wish to Shenlong). Does that mean Trunks returning to his time line will be the final episode? That's kind of a lame way to close the series...

SolarBlade52
Beyond Newbie

Post by SolarBlade52 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:03 am

The music selection wasn't good in this episode.
"Courage Filled The Heart" felt very out of place.
Vegeta's Rage should have used "Fierce Battle" instead of complete silence. (Keep in mind that in the original Japanese version of Z, it had music playing as he is attacking).

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:23 pm

Son Wukong wrote:I think it worked pretty well. I'm curious though, to know how you figured out that particular scene wasn't supposed to be/sound ''that'' heroic.
Easy. The world is in danger. If Gohan hits Cell, he blows up. If no one does anything, Cell blows up. If anything even remotely happens to stir Cell up, he explodes. It's a dire situation and absolutely no one can do a thing about it, except for Goku. Yes, he does a heroic thing by figuring a way to get rid of Cell without him detonating on Earth, but there's a catch.

Goku will die in the process, even if he's saving everyone. He's come to that conclusion. He knows he's going to die. Everyone else realized it the moment he warped away in front of Cell. Then come his final words to Gohan, praising him for how strong he's gotten and asking him to tell his mother that he's sorry for being so selfish all the time. He says goodbye to his son, a slight wince in his eyes before focusing on teleporting himself and Cell away from the earth.

Then comes the reality of things to everyone that Goku was serious and indeed sacrificed himself.

The entire scene is a dire situation that's dark and moody. The music chosen in Kai comes off as triumphant, with the heroic part coming across as if the hero saved the day. The piece in question sounds much more fitting for use when GOHAN is the one to ultimately get rid of Cell. It doesn't let it sink in for the viewers that Goku is going to die or that he's bidding farewell to everyone as if he's not coming back.
SolarBlade52 wrote:Vegeta's Rage should have used "Fierce Battle" instead of complete silence. (Keep in mind that in the original Japanese version of Z, it had music playing as he is attacking).
In fact, the silence only kicked in right as Cell popped out of the smoke, stopping the music dead in its tracks, which felt pretty damn intense for it to do that.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]