Kai Episode 96 (20 March 2011)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Re: Kai Episode 96 (20th March 2011)

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:34 am

His music is epic, but he could be calling it soft, because in the kai mix it seems a little quite comparably, but that might be the result of putting mono music in a stereo show.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:35 am

His music is epic, but he could be calling it soft, because in the kai mix it seems a little quite comparably, but that might be the result of putting mono music in a stereo show.
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:38 am

TheMajinRedComet wrote:His music is epic, but he could be calling it soft, because in the kai mix it seems a little quite comparably, but that might be the result of putting mono music in a stereo show.
Kikuchi's music also seems much more slow-paced than Yamamoto's. With Kai, a fast-paced version of Dragon Ball Z, a slow-paced musical score wouldn't work well with it. However, I did like most of what Nagasaki did for episodes 34 and 35.
So mondo lame.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:09 am

TheMajinRedComet wrote:His music is epic, but he could be calling it soft, because in the kai mix it seems a little quite comparably, but that might be the result of putting mono music in a stereo show.
Are they using a mono mix? Why would they be using a mono mix? Stereo versions of Kikuchi's pieces are readily available, so they've really dropped the ball if they're playing these in mono.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:18 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:Are they using a mono mix? Why would they be using a mono mix? Stereo versions of Kikuchi's pieces are readily available, so they've really dropped the ball if they're playing these in mono.
No, I'm pretty sure they're using stereo. Unless they don't want to spend any more money on Kai.
So mondo lame.

gmster
Beyond Newbie

Post by gmster » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:34 pm

It was stereo when it aired on Toonzai.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:18 pm

My bad I did not know that the Z score was recorded in stereo.

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:50 pm

Man, seeing Vegeta properly apologize to Gohan really gave him a brownie point.

Well the amazing Kikuchi score is.......ehhhh.......cute. It fits Gohan.

Thoughts wrote: Me: WHAT ?! Cell gave Gohan all that time to get a peptalk from Goku ??.....seriously who still buys this cheese ???

Firecracker: Well......it sure is darn tasty cheese.

Me: *sees the speeching Z-fighters working hard to kill Cell*....Yes...it is.
:cry:
I really think Gohan AND Goku AND Vegeta killed Cell here......better yet.....maybe Vegeta was inspired by Piccolo and the rest. So technically all the Z-fighters killed Cell.

Hooray.

Vernichter

Post by Vernichter » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:24 pm

So from what I understand, they kept the "next episode preview" themes, since they were just based on the ending themes anyway? What did they use for the episode title card and the recap?
It sounds like they used too much music though, and that's a shame. I really don't see any reason to continue buying Kai now..

Also, I know that the old Z "next episode preview" was based on "Cha-La Head Cha-La" up until the Buu saga, but what was the first recap theme based on? In turn, how about the Buu saga recap theme? I forgot the preview for that saga, so I'll have to listen to it again.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:28 pm

The recap was also based on Head-Cha-La. The second recap and preview was based on We Gotta Power! And unlike the first set, the second set sound almost identical to one another.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:23 am

The problem is that there isn't a lot of actual room for silence for some of the scenes in this episode in particular. With the way it's presented, it's mostly Gohan struggling against Cell with their Kamehame-Has while everyone charges in. The few scenes that did have silence in them worked, but really, what other scenes could have used silence for this episode?

All in all, at least the music choices were pretty decent. Especially loved the ones used for Goku's talk with Gohan (always a sucker for that track) and everyone getting back up, making their speeches and continuing their attacks on Cell.

Moving aside from the music, I like how Vegeta shifts between his regular form (beginning of the episode, on the ground behind Gohan), Super Saiyan (after the commercial break, getting up to leave as Gohan and Cell prepare their attacks), regular form again (watching everyone fly off to distract Cell) and then Super Saiyan one last time (when he fires off his own blast at Cell).
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:14 am

I must say I was more than pleased with how Kikuchi's music was used here. If they can keep up with good music selection I'm very happy for it being put into Kai.

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:22 am

The music for Gohan going SSJ2 is... Terrible, just terrible. The whole thing just defeats the purpose. Kai's refreshed, and this doesn't feel refreshed (Though I did like the glow on Cell's nucleus). I hope when it comes to re-airing the episodes and DVD releases, that they'll place music more appropriately or something of the sort.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:18 am

I liked the music placement for this episode (except for the recap where it felt like it would never end). My only issue is that it felt like I was just watching a quicker version of Dragon Ball Z. Essentially, that is really what Kai is. However, even though I never really cared for some of Yamamoto's pieces it at least gave Kai a different feel in the music department which made it feel kind of like a new series to me.

Edit: After watching the latest two episodes of Kai on Toonzai I must say I am REALLY pleased with the music placement in this episode.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:56 am

Personally, it pains me to see this change just due to the fact that it's based on a.....scandal. I guess that's what you could call it, right?
Such a bittersweet feeling. *sigh*

Zionist
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zionist » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:01 pm

Kai score or Original, I don't care. That episode was handled as well as ever :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Rocketman wrote:Who gives a shit about a Broly fan's feelings.
Zoms wrote:That moment when you relate your ship to glass tubes...

AoiKageNoChikara
Beyond Newbie

Post by AoiKageNoChikara » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:14 pm

there was definitely some good music selecion here. but Kai is just now a cut off version of dbz, nothing more, Yamamoto's the real reason why somehow felt new, and if even kikuchi fans have problems with this. I would just go for the Dragon Boxes. if there's not yamamoto the only thing that makes want to buy Kai is the blu ray sets :cry: what a horrible day, they could atleast get a new composer! I loved the episode.... but really I already miss yamamoto....

Out of my sadness this episode was very good with kikuchi's music. All the music was placed well, the recap music was alright, It worked, and the music flowed nicely. I loved the way they used The music that plays 2 times when goku and gohan talk. nagasaki has much more to choose from, I hope he atleast chooses good music from now on (especially since yamamoto's out)

SolarBlade52
Beyond Newbie

Post by SolarBlade52 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:26 pm

I wonder how the music selection for the rest of the episodes will turn out. Seeing as how they only have access to the released BGM, the variety kinda decreases a little bit but not too drastic. Out of about 380-390 BGM's for Z, only 245 are released.
Last edited by SolarBlade52 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:06 pm

SolarBlade52 wrote:Toei only has access to the released BGM
Is this confirmed at all? I did notice that they seemed to be using only released BGM (and what's more, only music from the BGM Collection at that), but how do we know Toei themselves only have access to what's been released on CD?

If that's the case, we BGM fans are in serious trouble. Depending on who does have access to the complete score, that would likely mean no more CDs with previously unreleased stuff on them.
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:23 pm

I liked it.

Haven't watched Kai since the Saiyan arc, so I've never really had any connection to the Yamamoto score. So I'm loving the return of my main man Kikuchi :D