Kai Episode 97 (27 March 2011)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Kai Episode 97 (27/03/2011)

Post by Aoi » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:43 am

Will episode 98 ever be released or is this the true final end of Kai?

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:22 am

Aoi wrote:Will episode 98 ever be released or is this the true final end of Kai?
We don't know if episode 98 will be a Blu-ray/DVD-only release, but, for now, it ceases to exist and will not be released, as far as we all know.
So mondo lame.

Ussj Future Trunks
Regular

Post by Ussj Future Trunks » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:32 pm

The end was more amazing than expected. But I imagine Buu fans are still pissed. But we have Fan Buu Kai and Dragon Boxes.
Simian upstart...none surpass me. No one even comes close! BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND! I am emperor of the universe. The likes of you are only fit to grovel at my feet. Or better still...to be crushed...LIKE AN INSECT AT THE WHIM OF YOUR MASTER!

- Freeza, DBZ Kai.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:09 pm

Tsukento wrote:Man, for a final episode, they sure tried pushing it right the hell out the door. The dialogue was way too fast paced since they were trying to rush everything. Especially funny how Trunks came back to life so quickly, a second after Shenlong says he'll grant it. Also felt Piccolo and #18 sounded really bad in this episode. Like their voices were particularly forced, especially #18 who seemed to have more of a bug up her butt than she should have.

The ending, for whatever reason, still doesn't really feel like it's the end of the series. That's just my take on things, though.
You summed up pretty much what I had to say about this.

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:17 pm

^ Yeah, I'll say.

And there was too much Dokan Dokan in this episode too. Image
Although I found it amusing to see this song celebrating Chi Chi's painful loss.

I thought I was going to feel sad and nostalgic after this episode, but it went so fast and weird. Now I just feel.......weird.
It's funny though. At first, Goku wanted the final image.....then Trunks took the final image.....but in the end (after commercial) it went to Gohan.

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TonyTheTiger » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:36 pm

I think Dragon Soul worked fine, in spite of Chi-Chi. I never really saw the scene as "sad" per se. It ends with her looking up in a hopeful gaze. Goku lived his life as a hero and now his son takes the mantle. It's subtle but Chi-Chi realizes that. And since Dragon Soul was Kai's "theme song" having it close out the series works well, I think.

I said it in the other thread, Kai is what it is. I'm disappointed that it's legacy is marred by so much bullshit but it was a fun two years.

I can gaze at the sky hopeful. :D

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:43 pm

Yeah, Chichi's scene did seem rather odd with the happy theme song music playing, but, aside from that, I thought it was a really good episode.

This doesn't pertain so much to Kai per se, but does anyone else find it weird just how much Yamucha is given to do at this point in the story? I mean, Toriyama had spent pretty much all of this arc coming up with reasons to shove him into the background, but as soon as the Cell Games end, he seems to have a moment of, "Huh. Hey, Yamucha's here! I should have him do something! But only today..." And all of a sudden he's carrying Gohan away, delivering him to Dende, having nearly all the dialogue with Shenlong, given a random bit of a character info in which he now has a girlfriend, giving Kuririn romantic tips, and informing Trunks how batshit insane Vegeta got when Trunks was killed. Must have been Yamucha's birthday or something when Toriyama started working on these chapters. :P
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:22 pm

Yeah, I thought it was nice to see Yamucha doing something for once in a long time.
Kuririn falls in love with a cyborg who was destined to kill him, Tenshinhan gets to hold back Cell for a little while, and Yamucha...talks a lot in the last few chapters of the Cell arc. Still doing better than Chaozu!

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:21 am

Makaioshin wrote:Yamucha...talks a lot in the last few chapters of the Cell arc. Still doing better than Chaozu!
Don't be too sure. Chaozu didn't get his energy drained and then have an arm shoved through his gut. :P
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:57 am

Formidable Warrior - The Saiyan should have played instead of Dragon Soul to close off the series. It would have been more fitting. :roll:

Deity
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deity » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:59 am

Castor Troy wrote:Formidable Warrior - The Saiyan should have played instead of Dragon Soul to close off the series. It would have been more fitting. :roll:
I'm sure it was at was initially planned...

Well, Kai is over. And I really liked that Dragon Ball fix it gave me once a week.

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:13 am

Well that was a very fast episode that felt like it traveled at the speed of light. Especially, the ending when Trunks left to the future which seemed like it happened in two seconds.

I will miss watching a new episode of Dragon Ball Kai in Japanese each week. It has been a fun ride.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:21 am

Man, talk about being way too fast paced, I haven't seen an episode this rushed since the ending of GT. Trunks barely had time to gather his wits after coming back to life before they switched scenes. Not to mention that I was surprised they didn't show Trunks defeating the androids and Cell in his time line. And yeah, it's kind of sad how it ends so...casually.

As for Kai as a whole, I won't go so far as to call it a disspointement but it didn't live up to the hype it had been promoted with. Toei just didn't put enough effort in it.

Deity
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deity » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:21 pm

Michsi wrote:Man, talk about being way too fast paced, I haven't seen an episode this rushed since the ending of GT. Trunks barely had time to gather his wits after coming back to life before they switched scenes. Not to mention that I was surprised they didn't show Trunks defeating the androids and Cell in his time line. And yeah, it's kind of sad how it ends so...casually.

As for Kai as a whole, I won't go so far as to call it a disspointement but it didn't live up to the hype it had been promoted with. Toei just didn't put enough effort in it.
In my opinion, Kai started out a bit immature and flawed, but with the course of time it got better and better. What went really wrong was the way that Kai ended. Not mentioning the BGM, I don't think it could ever go well ending it in Cell, unless they made some new ending/animation, and this last episode just proved it. Kind of a disappointing end to a series that I supported and liked, even though I agreed with most of what was criticized about it: this only makes all the "Kai dislikers" right.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Kai Episode 97 (27 March 2011)

Post by Chuquita » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:06 pm

Having just finished, I definitely agree that:
-Episode 97 moved way too fast. It even felt like the music was sped up a bit at times.
-Dragon Soul is really inappropriate to have playing while Chi-Chi's crying over Goku's death.
-Goku coming back after telling Gohan to apologize for him to Chi-Chi about always being so selfish and then after he's dead telling everyone he wants to stay that way even though he knows Gohan and Chi-Chi wouldn't want him to makes me facepalm.
-Somehow Yamcha was really entertaining in this episode, as was Juuhachigou calling Kuririn an octopus. (Octopus?)

Also, Toriko's theme song sounds kind of obnoxious.
I was right about the next episode preview being a preview for it though.

Final thoughts on Kai:
It was an interesting experiment, but done in way too cheap a way for my tastes; I wanted Kai to be a DB version of FMA: Brotherhood. I'm also kind of sad that they never got to the Buu arc; leaving Kai unfinished. It was nice to see a "new" ep week to week and follow along.
After thinking it over, I'm alright with Dragon Ball taking a break. It's OK, it'll be fine. I'd rather see Toei come back in the future fully rejuvenated with a project that's actually got a big budget behind it so they can work from scratch animation-wise. I'm alright with the videogames taking a break too; just as long as I get my U.S. release of "Ultimate Butoden".
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:04 pm

Michsi wrote:Man, talk about being way too fast paced, I haven't seen an episode this rushed since the ending of GT. Trunks barely had time to gather his wits after coming back to life before they switched scenes. Not to mention that I was surprised they didn't show Trunks defeating the androids and Cell in his time line. And yeah, it's kind of sad how it ends so...casually.
I dunno. I think Goku spent more time saying his goodbyes in GT than the events in Kai's last episode. At least then it didn't feel like everyone was talking at the speed of light and there was enough time for reflection on things by characters like Kuririn, Kamesennin, Piccolo and even Bulma. With Kai, we didn't even get much time to breath.
Chuquita wrote:-Goku coming back after telling Gohan to apologize for him to Chi-Chi about always being so selfish and then after he's dead telling everyone he wants to stay that way even though he knows Gohan and Chi-Chi wouldn't want him to makes me facepalm.
I think at the time Goku said what he said to Gohan because he believed that would the end of Cell. Afterward, he took the time to realize it's better off he stay dead. Goku recognized that even though his family wants him around, it's better that he not attract anymore villains for their sake, just in case another enemy like Cell comes along. And wouldn't ya know it? Boo was able to survive a massive explosion that killed off another one of our heroes later on. :(
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:24 pm

Tsukento wrote: I dunno. I think Goku spent more time saying his goodbyes in GT than the events in Kai's last episode. At least then it didn't feel like everyone was talking at the speed of light and there was enough time for reflection on things by characters like Kuririn, Kamesennin, Piccolo and even Bulma. With Kai, we didn't even get much time to breath.
True, but the final fight of the series, all goodbyes and everything was packed in one episode, At least here they] dedicated the whole episode to the aftermath of the battle. But yeah, all in all I think this one is worse....

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:45 pm

Michsi wrote:True, but the final fight of the series, all goodbyes and everything was packed in one episode, At least here they] dedicated the whole episode to the aftermath of the battle. But yeah, all in all I think this one is worse....
GT's final fight actually ended in episode 63. It also devoted an entire episode to its post-battle finale. And it was done a hell of a lot better. In fact, you may be the first person I've ever seen criticize the last episode of GT.

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:54 pm

Cipher wrote:
Michsi wrote:True, but the final fight of the series, all goodbyes and everything was packed in one episode, At least here they] dedicated the whole episode to the aftermath of the battle. But yeah, all in all I think this one is worse....
GT's final fight actually ended in episode 63. It also devoted an entire episode to its post-battle finale. And it was done a hell of a lot better. In fact, you may be the first person I've ever seen criticize the last episode of GT.
GT's final episode was actually pretty well done. It is a shame that Kai couldn't even have a "proper" conclusion. In the end, it went out the way it lived, fast!

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:07 pm

Did they really just retcon the fact that Kaio stayed dead?