Kai Episode 97 (27 March 2011)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaboom

Re: Kai Episode 97 (27 March 2011)

Post by Kaboom » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:19 pm

As far as I'm concerned, Kai isn't "over" until it shows Goku flying away with Oob. Until then, it's just on an indefinite hiatus. Even still, what we've got so far is the best darn 2/3rds of a Dragon Ball series we've had in a long time.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TonyTheTiger » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:20 pm

Zephyr wrote:Did they really just retcon the fact that Kaio stayed dead?
Seriously, WTF was that about? In fact, you can even see the halos over everybody's head as Goku is saying that.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:36 pm

Whatever fansubs you read, they're horribly wrong and inaccurate. Goku says the same thing he said in Z, which is that Kaio-sama COULD have been revived, but he passed on it and chose to stick with Goku.

After looking at one of the fansubs, they had Goku say he was going to "help rebuild the world with Kaio-sama" and that he "won't have to worry about bad guys like Cell anymore, but still has got the strength in his body." In actuality, he's saying he's saved the Earth several times before, so unlike the bad guys like Cell, he gets to keep his body. That should tell you how totally off the fansubs are.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:49 pm

I had a feeling the subs were a little off when they had Vegeta saying he needed to go "train" instead of that he'd "never fight again".
Tsukento wrote: I think at the time Goku said what he said to Gohan because he believed that would the end of Cell. Afterward, he took the time to realize it's better off he stay dead. Goku recognized that even though his family wants him around, it's better that he not attract anymore villains for their sake, just in case another enemy like Cell comes along. And wouldn't ya know it? Boo was able to survive a massive explosion that killed off another one of our heroes later on. :(
That's true. I'd forgotten about the whole 'Goku thinks he's a danger magnet' part while watching the episode. And the fact that the day he chooses to come back to visit coincides with Buu appearing doesn't help matters either.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Zionist
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zionist » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:09 pm

Failed Vegeta monologue (Or bad subs)

I think Dragon Soul fit at the end.

Octopus :lol:
Rocketman wrote:Who gives a shit about a Broly fan's feelings.
Zoms wrote:That moment when you relate your ship to glass tubes...

SolarBlade52
Beyond Newbie

Post by SolarBlade52 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:30 pm

It was an "OK" episode. In my opinion, it would have been better if it has a little more emphasis on some parts because it felt very rushed. Like how when Trunks was revived, it just happened for a split second.
I kinda like how they inserted "Dragon Soul" to represent the end of Kai, but if the scene with Gohan breaking the news to Chichi was removed, it would have worked a little better. Or better yet, if they want to leave that scene in there, they can at least use M1419 (Movie 7) like they did in Z, or any kind of music that represents sorrow, sadness, and grief.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:10 pm

Tsukento wrote:
Whatever fansubs you read, they're horribly wrong and inaccurate.
That makes a lot more sense, considering they also screwed up Vegeta's line.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:26 pm

Yes, I have noticed translation errors many, many times watching Kai fansubs. It seems they only have basic understanding of the Japanese language.
So mondo lame.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:56 pm

GotenDaisuki wrote:Yes, I have noticed translation errors many, many times watching Kai fansubs. It seems they only have basic understanding of the Japanese language.
It's the VHS fansub days all over again!

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:21 pm

Tsukento wrote:
GotenDaisuki wrote:Yes, I have noticed translation errors many, many times watching Kai fansubs. It seems they only have basic understanding of the Japanese language.
It's the VHS fansub days all over again!
No, this is better than the VHS fansub days.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Kai Episode 97 (27/03/2011)

Post by Ashura » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:26 pm

GotenDaisuki wrote:
Aoi wrote:Will episode 98 ever be released or is this the true final end of Kai?
We don't know if episode 98 will be a Blu-ray/DVD-only release, but, for now, it ceases to exist and will not be released, as far as we all know.
Diamonds to donuts, if the episode was produced it will be released in some way, shape, or form. Toei wouldn't spend all the money it costs to produce it and then not attempt to make a profit from it.

You also have to wonder if the insert of Dragon Soul was a last minute replacement for whatever they originally had there, since it sounds like it was extremely out-of-place. (I've only seen the US Blus.)

(Also, hi, I'm new here!)
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Re: Kai Episode 97 (27/03/2011)

Post by GotenDaisuki » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:54 pm

Ashura wrote:Diamonds to donuts, if the episode was produced it will be released in some way, shape, or form. Toei wouldn't spend all the money it costs to produce it and then not attempt to make a profit from it.

You also have to wonder if the insert of Dragon Soul was a last minute replacement for whatever they originally had there, since it sounds like it was extremely out-of-place. (I've only seen the US Blus.)

(Also, hi, I'm new here!)
Yes, you're right, Toei wouldn't just waste money like that, but, for now, to us, it will not be released. For now, anyway.

That is probably what they did. I felt it was very awkward the way they shortened the song from the full four-minute version, they should have just used the TV version, it would have fit in better, at least. All in all, the song felt so unnatural in those scenes, and was probably a rushed, last minute replacement.

(Also, welcome to the forums!)
So mondo lame.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:16 am

I was thinking today that if DBK started just one week later, the ending might of been even more awkward. I guess when I think of it like that, ending at episode 97 isn't all that bad.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:33 am

It's likely they decided to skip the episode because it wasn't necessary to wrap up the storyline. I doubt they would've left things on a cliffhanger... they just sort of realized 'we really don't have to show this episode.' If you saw this as a Japanese kid and knew nothing else about Dragonball other than having watched Kai, you would've been none the wiser.

It'd be sort of interesting to observe a kid in Japan who just got into Dragonball and has only watched Kai. I know, personally, if I learned that there were DVDs out there that show more adventures of my favorite heroes... I'd be begging my mom to get them so I could see all the extra stuff.

I bet kids would be into the stuff with Piccolo training Gohan (and I have to say, the way Kai does it -- as straight to the manga it is -- is pretty abrupt... it's sort of one episode, Piccolo's all 'I'm going to train you.' and the next: 'You're trained!') I'd probably be disappointed by the time I got to "Damn, it's filler! Bulma's Undersea Adventures on Namek." though.

(Thanks for the welcome, Goten!)
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:52 am

Cipher wrote:
Michsi wrote:True, but the final fight of the series, all goodbyes and everything was packed in one episode, At least here they] dedicated the whole episode to the aftermath of the battle. But yeah, all in all I think this one is worse....
GT's final fight actually ended in episode 63. It also devoted an entire episode to its post-battle finale. And it was done a hell of a lot better. In fact, you may be the first person I've ever seen criticize the last episode of GT.

I'm definetly not the only one to think this. Aside from his goodbye towards Krillin and Piccolo, there wasn't much I liked about that final episode. But as I said, that episode was made to go by fast , this one was cut, reassembled and sped up. I bet the reason why some of the characters sound off to some ppl is because the directors told them to say their lines faster :))

Vhanos
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vhanos » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:35 am

This episode did things to seal the deal on what I don't like about Kai.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:57 pm

Ashura wrote:It's likely they decided to skip the episode because it wasn't necessary to wrap up the storyline. I doubt they would've left things on a cliffhanger... they just sort of realized 'we really don't have to show this episode.' If you saw this as a Japanese kid and knew nothing else about Dragonball other than having watched Kai, you would've been none the wiser.
Even without that sense of knowing, the episode doesn't scream "Final episode!" with the way it ends. Hell, it feels less like the actual end of an episode and more like there was something more and we'd have to wait another week to see what was going on. Especially considering how often this feeling came up with Kai's episodes.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:14 pm

Really? I actually feel it does seem quite a bit like it could be a final episode. Unless they had the next episode planned with some sort of super wrap-up finale, I'd even say that this functions as a better series finale than Trunks's ending would have, wherein we don't see any of the main characters in our timeline at all.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TonyTheTiger » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:34 pm

Agreed. The Trunks epilogue works as a conclusion to a story arc, not a conclusion to a series. It's weird to have everybody celebrate and say their farewells and then have a final episode where one of those guys just goes around tearing shit up.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:06 pm

TonyTheTiger wrote:Agreed. The Trunks epilogue works as a conclusion to a story arc, not a conclusion to a series. It's weird to have everybody celebrate and say their farewells and then have a final episode where one of those guys just goes around tearing shit up.
But that's the thing. We have a proper conclusion to the *primary timeline*. Because of that, it's not a complete conclusion as you're left up in the air wondering if Trunks is really going to be alright and if things really do get better. Not only did Trunks get rid of #17 and #18, but time passes and it's revealed everyone's living in peace again and rebuilding everything. Cell shows up and Trunks does away with him, finally being at peace and being grateful that he got to meet everyone and avenge his friends and family, while ultimately saving the world.

It's not so much that Trunks is "tearing shit up" for the sake of it. He's putting an end to the terror the people in his time are suffering in. Hell, part of the reason he even came back to the past in the first place was in hopes of bringing Goku with him in order to stop the cyborgs in his time.