Kai Episode 97 (27 March 2011)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Kai Episode 97 (27 March 2011)

Post by obiwan23s » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:10 pm

Tsukento wrote:
TonyTheTiger wrote:Agreed. The Trunks epilogue works as a conclusion to a story arc, not a conclusion to a series. It's weird to have everybody celebrate and say their farewells and then have a final episode where one of those guys just goes around tearing shit up.
But that's the thing. We have a proper conclusion to the *primary timeline*. Because of that, it's not a complete conclusion as you're left up in the air wondering if Trunks is really going to be alright and if things really do get better. Not only did Trunks get rid of #17 and #18, but time passes and it's revealed everyone's living in peace again and rebuilding everything. Cell shows up and Trunks does away with him, finally being at peace and being grateful that he got to meet everyone and avenge his friends and family, while ultimately saving the world.

It's not so much that Trunks is "tearing shit up" for the sake of it. He's putting an end to the terror the people in his time are suffering in. Hell, part of the reason he even came back to the past in the first place was in hopes of bringing Goku with him in order to stop the cyborgs in his time.

Future Trunks's role in the Z story was to warn the heroes in the present timeline about the Artificial Humans so they could be prepared for them and thus be ale to defeat them. In this ending he still plays that role. The epilogue in his own timeline is more or less a bonus, showing that because Trunks got to meet his father and also Goku that he was able to grow stronger and save the world like them. I like Future Trunks a lot and I'm not really bugged by that not being included in Kai, at least Kai as we have it now.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:44 pm

I really don't think anyone who doesn't know any better would notice anything was missing. Seeing Trunks save his timeline, besides, as has been mentioned, being tangential to the main story, doesn't really need to be seen for that implication to get across. It's pretty easy to assume he's going to go back to the future and set things right. So in that case, I'm almost disappointed to think that episode 98 might show itself eventually because, unless there really is a series wrap-up included with that episode, it's going to be a pretty lame way for the series to end in comparison to episode 97.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TonyTheTiger » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:37 am

I think the issue I have with that episode closing a series rather than a story arc is that it stops in the wrong place. Yes, we get to see Trunks save his future and that's cool and all. But Dragon Ball Z (or rather Dragon Ball Kai) was not about Trunks. It was about Gohan. And for Gohan to take his place as Earth's protector in the episode preceding Trunks saving his future sends confusing signals. I think what would cure the situation is if after Trunks does his duty, it cuts back to Gohan (perhaps wearing his outfit from Movie 9) officially accepting his responsibility with maybe Goku doing his little "I'm still with you" at that point.

It could be short and even completely silent. Just Gohan overlooking the landscape with a clear vision of his new role would be sufficient. It would establish that Trunks saved his future while ending with message that the main timeline's now unknown future is in good hands even without Goku. It's the same concept but it would happen in the proper order for a series finale.

Of course such a significant change would be way too much to expect from Kai given how the show is put together but had the original Dragon Ball Z ended here I think that would have been a more fitting way to do it rather than finish it out with Trunks. But of course we know Z didn't end here so finishing the arc with Trunks works just fine because we know there's more to come.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:41 pm

I will say one thing, that the music was much better in this episode. There were long stretches of silences, and the music was quite appropriate for the most part. I prefer the tune in Z though, when they're all reflecting on Goku's influences on their lives after he tells them he's staying dead, but the tune chosen wasn't bad.

I wish Nagasaki's placement of Kikuchi's music was always this good.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

goku1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by goku1234 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:19 pm

so sad that this is the last eps :(

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:40 pm

Only now I realize how inappropriate the eyecatches are in this episode.

Drayenko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Drayenko » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:45 pm

Son Wukong wrote:Only now I realize how inappropriate the eyecatches are in this episode.
Yeah, I realized it while I was watching the episode and I was like :x

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:28 am

Son Wukong wrote:Only now I realize how inappropriate the eyecatches are in this episode.
I also noticed that too but I guess they couldn't be bothered to make a new eyecatcher for an episode.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:16 am

As a Trunks fan I am insanely irked that the Trunks ending was cut. That's the true ending to the arc. Sure some could view it as not important, but the fact is that Trunks played a pivotal in this arc and deserves to have his own closure shown. Without Trunks nothing in this arc would be possible after all.

Another aspect that upsets me is that I personally was never happy with the Kikuchi tracks chosen for this particular episode in Z. So, since I won't get to hear Yamamoto's tracks, I'm still hoping on hearing some different Kikuchi tracks.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:56 pm

Gozar wrote:As a Trunks fan I am insanely irked that the Trunks ending was cut. That's the true ending to the arc. Sure some could view it as not important, but the fact is that Trunks played a pivotal in this arc and deserves to have his own closure shown. Without Trunks nothing in this arc would be possible after all.
You have every right to be angry about this. The arc is literaly incomplete without it. I mean the major selling point of this show was that it follows the manga more closely. How does it do that if it leaves out original manga content?
But maybe there is a chance with the DVD releases?

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:50 pm

Shunsuke Kikuchi's score is so much more fitting than Yamamoto's, it's unreal.... And this is coming from a Yamamoto fan...
Also, "meh". Voice wise, everyone was really on the ball in this episode. Shame it felt rushed to fuck.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:54 pm

As a Majin Boo arc fan I am insanely irked that the final saga was cut. That's the true ending to the series. Sure some could view it as not important, but the fact is that things like Goku being indefinitely dead, Gohan's potential or lack thereof as Earth's protector, and Vegeta's progressing character development all played a pivotal role in the series until then and deserve to have their respective closures shown. Without the Majin Boo arc, nothing in this series feels truly complete.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:55 pm

Kaboom wrote:As a Majin Boo arc fan I am insanely irked that the final saga was cut. That's the true ending to the series. Sure some could view it as not important, but the fact is that things like Goku being indefinitely dead, Gohan's potential or lack thereof as Earth's protector, and Vegeta's progressing character development all played a pivotal role in the series until then and deserve to have their respective closures shown. Without the Majin Boo arc, nothing in this series feels truly complete.
So Kaboom, did it hurt to see Luffy and Toriko eating the same meat on a bone, acting like bestest of best buddies afterall? :)
'Cause it hurt me.

Petsu

Post by Petsu » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:16 am

I also think that it shouldn't have been to fast paced. . .

Well i guess theres nothing we can do about it.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:13 pm

Rory wrote:Shunsuke Kikuchi's score is so much more fitting than Yamamoto's, it's unreal.... And this is coming from a Yamamoto fan...
Also, "meh". Voice wise, everyone was really on the ball in this episode. Shame it felt rushed to fuck.
Can you pm me where and how to get access to this version with Kikuchi´s score?

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:03 am

This episode was great! I loved every minute of it. The ending is really sad, but I think it's a better ending than the one we had at the end of the Boo arc. Gohan taking Goku's place was a good idea all along.

I'm not saying I dislike the Boo arc, the Boo arc was lovely because of Vegeta. All I'm saying is that I don't mind this ending because in my opinion it's better and kind of a tear-jerker. I liked how they played the opening music at the end when everyone was going home.

They should have added a clip after the episode showing Trunks killing the Artificial Humans and Cell though. He could have just narrated to us how he did it in like 10 seconds or something. Sucks that they didn't do that.

Budogenkai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Budogenkai » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:06 pm

I think while the ending is rushed, at least it somewhat has an ending, just in case they decide to not do the Buu are in the future.

The only thing that makes me upset is that FUNi won't be able to redub the Buu arc, they've been working really hard on their new dub and It would have been nice to have more of it.
PSN: Genkaidomo
360: Bhuda64

http://www.youtube.com/BurritoNchips

anyone know where I can get a good cheap mic?

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:30 pm

Their dub is decent, but I still won't watch unless a guy like Peter Kelamis is Goku, unless Goku says the word "ain't" every once in a while and unless they get rid of Sabat. :)

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:48 am

SylentEcho wrote:Their dub is decent, but I still won't watch unless a guy like Peter Kelamis is Goku, unless Goku says the word "ain't" every once in a while and unless they get rid of Sabat. :)
So, take out a great, experienced Goku for either a new guy or someone who hasn't played the role in years? Nah.

Ain't? Ain't nothing wrong with that idea, I'd go either way on it.

Get rid of Sabat? He's the director of Kai's dub and one of the guys responsible for us having an uncut, well scripted dub (all it would take is one old boss set in his ways, and we'd just have another Z dub), so that would hurt Kai. Of course, you're probably referring to his voice work...and I disagree. He's given up several roles, and made several of his voices much more natural. Guess we could have him give up Recoome and call it even, lol.

But yeah, Kai ending here is kind of sad. No Trunks fixing his future? No last adventure? Funi better fund a Kai-ing of the Buu saga, or I will say "Ni" at them.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:50 am

All his voices overlap and sound forced. He is the odd voice out in the "pick the odd voice out" for Kai. He should have given up Reacoom and Zarbon. His Zarbon sounds like he's constantly pleasuring himself while talking. It's like Zarbon's wearing a vibrating underwear throughout the show.

Sabat sounds like an old man yelling at a tree. His Piccolo sounds like a priest reading out of the satanic bible either in one tone or screaming it out. Nothing in between. He should be flogged.

I'll stop ranting now. :P