Kai Episode 99 (06 April 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Kai Episode 99 (06 April 2014)

Post by B » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:50 pm

After listening to them over and over, the opening is very DB-esque, and I like it for its familiarity. The new ending is not all that DB-esque, and I like it for its variety. Animation-wise, there's nothing special. I like SS3 Goku scrapping with Genuine Buu, particularly Buu throwing the... I forget if that pink ki ball has an official name or not.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:35 am

Well, had to check out Kai's return, especially since I'm so familiar with Z episode 200 (love the Saiyaman stuff, and it was one of my very first fansubs). So far, the new themes are pretty forgettable to me. Like someone else said earlier, I was a bit disappointed that Yamucha didn't fly off with everyone else. And while I love Tenshinhan and think he needs more exposure, I ended up scratching my head over his inclusion in the group shot at the end when he's barely in this arc at all.

As for the episode itself, not sure how I feel about the music. Haven't seen BOG, so I don't really know how it sounds there, but it just seems somewhat out of place here. Not entirely sure. It sounds very "animesque" if that makes any sense, but not very Dragon Ball-esque. But all that said, it mostly felt appropriate to the scenes. What I mean when I say out of place is that the timing of it seemed wrong, but maybe that's just because it's so different from how music was used in episode 200.

Glad to see I wasn't the only person who picked up on Sesame Street. As soon as that started, I immediately thought of it. Didn't think of the potential for plagiarism, though, for some reason. I guess I just usually dismiss small things like that as a fun coincidence and haven't really retrained my brain to think about it in Dragon Ball terms. :crazy:

I felt it was edited pretty well. As familiar as I am with Z 200, I honestly didn't notice what they'd cut out. But they obviously cut a lot since they managed to fit an episode and a half in there!

As for the NEP, well, this is what I've been waiting for for years. Always wondered how they were going to handle the Saiyaman stuff, and, to my disappointment but lack of surprise, it just looks like a very heavily truncated version of the TV series without any attempts to make it like the manga with the exception of the jarring length. :yawn:
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

TheWhiz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheWhiz » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:37 am

Puto wrote:Gonna be the odd one here and say I actually loved the new music.
I liked the new score too. The intro & ending was pretty awesome.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:32 am

I really like the opening music, but the animation is pretty lackluster.

Nozawa is fantastic as always.

I absolutely HATE this background music. It sounds like the soundtrack to a flash RPG. Needs more (dragon) soul. It's also playing constantly, it rarely hits the mood of the scene, and no track really stands out. Hopefully the battle music later on is better.

I must've missed the news that Minaguchi wasn't coming back. I suppose her replacement is fine, but I'm really gonna miss her.

I feel similarly about the ending as I do with the opening. Great song, cheap animation.

The budget for this must have been pretty low, but if it means getting to hear these voice actors give it a shot one more time, I'd say it's worth my time.
Puto wrote:New Kai music vs Sesame Street theme. This does not bode well =P
Yessssss. Let's get this guy out of here as soon as possible. I was excited to hear how he might do on the main series (I didn't like the score for the movie either), but it's actually affecting my enjoyment of the show. I know it's kind of soon to be judging it this hard, but at this point I'd much rather hear Kikuchi tracks re-inserted again.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:42 am

If there is one thing that really bugs me about the ED, it's that it's only a minute long, and the majority of the song is screaming. They were really too cheap to add an extra 30 seconds of "animation" and the second verse? I use quotes because they're not really animating as much as they're moving the camera up and down and side to side.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:07 am

I liked the new score. The OP and ED songs, not so much. The ED instantly disappears from memory when it's over and the OP is a pretty generic anime intro. Tanimoto's voice is still obnoxious. I like the animation for both, though. I'm not sure if I like how much they "spoil", but they're nicely animated and don't linger on any blatantly off-model shots like Dragon Soul and YBCB did. The same can't be said for the eyecatches, which are awful but thankfully short by nature.
The remastering of the original footage is pretty bad. The Buu saga orange bricks actually look nicer than this.
I don't wanna sound too negative, but really, all the good stuff seems kind of too obvious. The pacing is fast without being rushed, the score isn't spectacular yet but unobtrusive and everyone's pretty on the ball with their voice performances. Videl's new VA took a bit of getting used to, but I warmed to her by the end of the episode.

As for the Sesame Street connection, well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uruw8scbDCY&t=43m17s
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:44 pm

ThunderPX wrote: The remastering of the original footage is pretty bad. The Buu saga orange bricks actually look nicer than this.
I really don't see this I think it's the best the Buu saga has looked yet.
Comparisons between the dragon boxes and kai broadcast(downscaled for comparison)

I really like the colors I think other people complaining about a green tint are really blowing the issue out of proportion, it's nowhere near as distracting as the pink/reddish tint that plagued the Dragon boxes(the previous highest quality release).
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:35 pm

It's interesting to see how much just a little colour correction makes to the overall quality of the footage.

Apologies for the lazy screenshot.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:10 pm

You could've at least made it a little less blatant that you're screenshotting an illegal fansub, lol.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:03 pm

Puto wrote:You could've at least made it a little less blatant that you're screenshotting an illegal fansub, lol.
Considering we're all watching this via streams and torrented RAWs, there's absolutely no point in pretending that's not the case. As long as we're not sharing nor discussing that side of things on the site, it shouldn't matter whatsoever. It'd be an issue if it were available to purchase but it's not.

Deadtuber.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:08 pm

Listening to the ending song again, it seems like an easy song for FUNimation to dub.

Also, during the ending, I personally don't like that group shot of everyone banged up and struggling, that is way overdone in anime openings/endings.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:11 pm

Codarik wrote:Listening to the ending song again, it seems like an easy song for FUNimation to dub.

Also, during the ending, I personally don't like that group shot of everyone banged up and struggling, that is way overdone in anime openings/endings.
Even though it might be overdone in anime in general, I thought seeing it in DBZ was pretty unique and different. Very "non-DBZ", is I guess what I mean.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:41 pm

Saw the whole episode. Gotta say its very promising. Nozawa's Gohan was pretty good and I liked the "engrish" moments when she spoke.

Filler has been way cut down and the musical score is pretty good as well, definitely a step up from the horribly overused Kikuchi tracks that plagued the Android/Cell saga.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:53 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:It's interesting to see how much just a little colour correction makes to the overall quality of the footage.

Funny how much better this simple balancing looks. How does the rest of the episode fare with these kinds of adjustments?
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

SSJ3_Zack
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ3_Zack » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:08 pm

The opening was okay (Animation wise it's terrible) but I do really like the song and cannot wait for a full version to be released. The score is a bit well... Weird to say the least. I don't know why but it reminds me of the score for the Pokémon
Ruby & Sapphire games. The reggae beat that played when Son Gohan hid from Videl made me laugh, it just seemed out of place. It's only the first episode so for now I'll give it a chance.
I'm more interested in his score placement for the battles (Hopefully no overdoing it with the chanting). But dear Kami Dear Zarathustra is pretty terrible in my opinion, luckily it'll be replaced soon enough.

One thing I can't believe how fast they got through the high school material though (Even by Kai standards it seemed to go by so fast). Videl is way too cute sounding in my opinion but Nowaza was great as always. Truth be told I'm happy that I can follow a DragonBall product weekly once more.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:20 pm

Didn`t watch episode yet, but, i watched opening and ending, and, while i liked opening vocal, ending song was meh, it is just me, or Tenshinhan looked like Majin?
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

GarrettCRW
Beyond Newbie

Post by GarrettCRW » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:26 pm

bkev wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:It's interesting to see how much just a little colour correction makes to the overall quality of the footage.
Funny how much better this simple balancing looks. How does the rest of the episode fare with these kinds of adjustments?
That's the fansub I watched as well, and the color timing is pretty good with that adjustment, but I found the restoration to be a bit too aggressive, as everything looked a bit fuzzier than the previous Kai episodes. The music was extremely meh to me, but I'll wait until we get some serious action until I start to make a judgment.

Videl's new voice sucks. And not in a, "I HATE TOM SERVO'S NEW VOICE!!!" way, either.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:31 pm

bkev wrote:Funny how much better this simple balancing looks. How does the rest of the episode fare with these kinds of adjustments?
Yeah, it's pretty crazy. Here's a few more comparison shots:

1:
2:
As you can see, some parts are exceptionally green while others are a lot more subtle. It's so insanely easy to fix that it's quite mad that it wasn't done during the remastering process. The only reason I can think of is that whoever did the colour timings may have been working on a poorly calibrated monitor.
...everything looked a bit fuzzier than the previous Kai episodes.
Honestly, I feel like that's just a result of the low bitrate encodes. Each Kai episode on the Blu-rays came to ~3GB an episode whereas this is ~600MB. That's a huge difference so I don't think it's quite fair to judge the clarity of the product until the official release.

Deadtuber.

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:34 pm

Just watched the episode and it was great :D . I liked the colour balance and the score wasn't bad.

Can't wait for the next episode :D
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:15 pm

Man....I keep going back and forth on how much the green tint bothers me. I think it looks worse in still pictures than it does in motion, but man, seeing those ("insanely easily") color-corrected pics really makes me roll my eyes at the restoration process. I get that this was a low-budget effort, but damn.....I mean, with those color adjustments, I dare say that's the best I've ever seen DBZ footage look.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."