Kai Episode 99 (06 April 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RocktheDragon
Regular

Re: Kai Episode 99 (06 April 2014)

Post by RocktheDragon » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:42 am

All in all, it's obviously clear where Toei's priorities lay and Dragonball Kai, more now than it has ever been, is a low cost cash-cow turned TV schedule stop-gap.
I'm just genuinely curious, and don't mean this disparagingly, but do you find this low cost approach to Kai problematic? I think that any exposure that the DB franchise can get is a great thing, a fantastic thing! It's much better than the alternative of this not getting produced at all. And it makes the DB brand have a better presence in Japan, and more importantly, throughout the globe.

I think this approach to DB Kai will serve as a means to an end, and it'll be much more of a good thing than bad after everything is said and done.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:18 pm

New Kai music vs Sesame Street theme. This does not bode well =P
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:22 pm

Welp, roll up your sleeves, everybody. Time to get another composer fired. :P
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:36 pm

MagicBox wrote:Welp, roll up your sleeves, everybody. Time to get another composer fired. :P
You don't fuck with Big Bird.

Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

GsTvo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GsTvo » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:01 pm

If this is not the WORST opening of Dragon Ball, its very close. Kageyama please come back! (and brings with you some good animators...) because I can't understand how we pass from this:

WARRIORS, ready to fight... to this:

¡Yayyyy! Let's join our Ki, and go on an adventure!!

Sorry, but this is not a teen drama, this is Dragon Ball.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:20 pm

RocktheDragon wrote:
All in all, it's obviously clear where Toei's priorities lay and Dragonball Kai, more now than it has ever been, is a low cost cash-cow turned TV schedule stop-gap.
I'm just genuinely curious, and don't mean this disparagingly, but do you find this low cost approach to Kai problematic? I think that any exposure that the DB franchise can get is a great thing, a fantastic thing! It's much better than the alternative of this not getting produced at all. And it makes the DB brand have a better presence in Japan, and more importantly, throughout the globe.

I think this approach to DB Kai will serve as a means to an end, and it'll be much more of a good thing than bad after everything is said and done.

I actually think that Toei's approach to monetising Dragonball actually has a negative effect on how the brand is perceived in Japan, especially when it's done cheaply or without a great deal of care.

The endless cycle of regurgitation and selling the same old product in a cascade of different guises, which under the hood don't really have any new content, is more likely to reduce interest in Dragonball than increase it, therefore propagating the downward spiral where Toei are less and less willing to put resources into the franchise against falling return revenues.

Toei refers to Dragonball as an 'evergreen franchise' because they know its global outreach can be a reasonable source of income for them against a minimal outlay. New content ventures like 'Battle of Gods' break the cycle somewhat, but it's quite debatable as to what their primary goals of such expansions of the franchise are. A lot of people seem to think that the success of Battle of Gods means that we're more likely to get another TV anime, but I'm of the opinion that their market strategy is to use whatever rekindled interest has been generated by the film to give them license to resell old material - again.

If you'll excuse the analogy, Toei treats the franchise as though it's a big old apple tree that they want to continue to farm year on year. It's already grown to a great height, and they're not too bothered about pumping it with nutrients to make it grow bigger, they just want it to keep giving them fruit, so they give it the most minimal care possible to allow it to do so.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:23 pm

Blade wrote:Well, even if what you say is true in regard to the financial side of things - my point still stands, that Disk Wars has obviously been backed with more resources - be that in key personnel/talent or otherwise. Moreover, where longer time is ascribed, one would expect that greater cost is incurred regardless of the rate of pay received by the key talent, as the longer spent on one project, the less time they can be employed elsewhere, ergo reducing production quantity and efficiency.

It's true. Greater cost isn't incurred because Toei doesn't run out of animators. Disk Wars: Avengers episode #1 had a standard production schedule for a weekly TV episode. Majin Bone episode #1 looked the way it did because Oonishi Ryou uses a loose style of drawing to achieve a wild and lively effect. Disk Wars: Avengers episode #1 looked the way it did because Episode Director Hiroshima Hideki and Animation Supervisor Kitano Yukihiro only recruited a few good key animators from Toei Animation and get the majority of the weaker key animators in-line with Yamamuro Tadayoshi's character designs.

Just in case nobody had heard: Yamamuro Tadayoshi--the current Dragon Ball character designer--is the character designer for Disk Wars: Avengers. Everyone looks like a Toriyama character.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:29 pm

Puto wrote:New Kai music vs Sesame Street theme. This does not bode well =P
*Sigh*........I mean.....really? Really?

You know, before the music scandal happened, I would have laughed this off as a coincidence, but now I can't help but take these musical similarities more seriously (in the sense that I'm not as quick to doubt the plagiarism as I used to be). Sumitomo better be damn careful. If he gets caught for plagiarism too, I don't know if that makes Toei dumb for hiring a second plagiarizing composer, or him dumb for knowing why his predecessor was fired and doing the exact same thing.
RocktheDragon wrote:

I would definitely agree with this. However, I would also point to this as a good example of why I can't get that excited about the Japanese version of Kai. From the get-go, Kai struck me as an excuse to bring back an old hit. It was too blatant an effort on Toei's part--for me, anyway--to make money, rather than an effort to do something original and unique with the Dragon Ball franchise, like a new series or a new movie (which thankfully we did eventually get in the form of BoG). It's not really new though. It's pretty much the exact same thing as before, and while there is some new stuff, there isn't enough new stuff for me to think of it as something new.

The English dub, on the other hand...that's very new. Totally different in almost every way. Which is why I'm more excited for the English dub than the Japanese version. The Japanese version is good, but I've already got a good Japanese version of this story in the form of DBZ. With the English dub, I'm getting a proper English version of the story for the first time.

Still, I agree with the overall point. Cheap and low-budget an effort as Kai was and is, anything to give a shot of adrenaline into the anime industry is a good thing, and Dragon Ball is probably the perfect franchise to do this with!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

FireFly
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FireFly » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:35 pm

ErikB wrote: Also, just found our first new colouring error:
Gohan's pectorals are coloured as part of his shirt. EDIT: On closer inspection, I think they forgot to draw the shirt at all, and just coloured from his pectorals down to his gi blue.
I noticed that when I watched the ending, myself. It's like he's wearing the Great Saiyaman shirt underneath his gi or something, though it's undoubtedly an error. Toei won't fix a menial error like this, though.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:40 pm

Keep that off the internet or we'll get another fiasco soon. You guys really like getting the composers fired lol But well, maybe it's a common note progression for that style? I've heard some compositions reusing some progressions from other songs, maybe those are stock progressions of some sort? ya know like sample cds with stock percussion. And common scales for simple songs (Sorry if those are not the terms, My first language is spanish)
Last edited by Black_Liger on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:46 pm

I loved the new OP and ED songs but the animation was really bad. I felt like it lacked punch. But then again, I might be biased because the animation sequence for WE GOTTA POWER is my absolute favorite in the franchise. This one felt flat in comparison, especially because it just showed all of the battles and stuck to events we are already going to see in the series. The ED animation was a bit better but not by much, sadly. Felt kind of disjointed with the music.

Nozawa was amazing in this episode! Her Goten is awesome as always! :D And Gohan had great comedic timing, if that's even possible with an animated character. I agree that Trunks sounds A LOT better than he did back in the original DBZ, at least he doesn't sound like he has a stuffy nose all the time now. I liked a lot of the Saiyaman filler, but I think the pacing is alright so far, I kind of wonder what's gonna happen with all the long fights in the later portion of the series...

The background music wasn't that good either IMO, but maybe it's just nostalgia talking because I'm so used to the Kikuchi BGMs whenever I watched these episodes as a kid. I'll still wait and see what Sumitomo can do, because maybe his strong point are battles and not peaceful or funny tracks.

Overall, I'm excited about having a new DB episode to look forward to every weekend, and I love the new music! That was what I was honestly looking forward to the most, and even though none of it is Kageyama levels of awesome (because that would be impossible without him) I'm glad that it's still great and works wonderfully with the shonen feel of the series.
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:14 pm

Well...that sure looks like Kai. And I definitely do not care much for Kai's overall look.

Really liked the opening and ending. Ultimate Gohan animation in the opening looked awesome. Goku vs Majin Vegeta looked decent, at best. Super Saiyan 3 Goku vs Boo needs a 4:3 release to look like nothing's missing there.

Opening really felt like "Here's the Kai you actually wanted, in a minute and a half", with them animating the entire saga.

Soundtrack was...just kinda there, didn't even stand out. Disliked the Gohan vs Cell track at the start. Next Episode Preview tune sounded embarrassingly cheap.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:47 pm

Opening:
Quite good. Kinda reminds me of the Video Games and DB Heroes animated openings. Also, the opening spoils a lot.

Ending:
I didn't like that much. It's too simple and not that good.

Music:
Not that great. But I liked the 80's feeling the tracks had. Kinda reminds me of Yu Yu Hakusho music! (Gohan Vs the robbers is like Kuwabara's Theme). And lol about the Battle of Gods soundtracks!

Next episode preview:
Good. And the music does sound like the 1st ending of Kai (Yeah! Break! Care! Break!).
Black_Liger wrote:Keep that off the internet or we'll get another fiasco soon. You guys really like getting the composers fired.

They started. Someone told me... (lol, he pushed it too far)
Last edited by TheRed259 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:47 pm

I can't say I like the music at all. Can we opt for a Kikuchi replacement version? Heh, what if it turns out this guy is plagiarizing too? I hope he's just being purposely dynamic and putting this sort of music in the high school episodes. Then we'll here some actual instruments when things get serious.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Zestanor wrote:Heh, what if it turns out this guy is plagiarizing too?
As for now, we know that he is able to steal tracks from himself! :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w56u5e3DerM

By the way, I bet that the Awateru Kaiou soundtrack will play next time when Goku talks telepathetically to Gohan and Vegeta through King Kai!

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:50 pm

Just saw it, and it was great. The opening was awesome, but spoiled too much, the ending was good, and the BGM was OK so far. Picture quality is great, other than that green look. And the new Videl was good.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:54 pm

And here... we... go! If this gets serious, we might see yet another Kikuchi replacement after all :lol:
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:16 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:
And here... we... go! If this gets serious, we might see yet another Kikuchi replacement after all :lol:
God forbid....
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Samwize78
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Samwize78 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:52 pm

I've been finding that a lot of clips from Episode 99 are being taken down off YouTube with this message now showing instead.

Think this is any indication FUNi might be considering simulcasting the new season?

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:02 pm

Samwize78 wrote:I've been finding that a lot of clips from Episode 99 are being taken down off YouTube with this message now showing instead.

Think this is any indication FUNi might be considering simulcasting the new season?
I'm betting an announcement of a dub and home release will soon be making an appearance.