Kai Episode 99 (06 April 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: Kai Episode 99 (06 April 2014)

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:47 pm

Samwize78 wrote:I've been finding that a lot of clips from Episode 99 are being taken down off YouTube with this message now showing instead.

Think this is any indication FUNi might be considering simulcasting the new season?
Not necessarily. It's more likely that they just have the license for the Buu saga (and haven't announced it yet), which would give them both the power and responsibility of taking down any clips they find to be infringing.

And, as I understand it--but someone correct me if I'm wring--the process of claiming copyright infringement on YouTube can be automated to a degree. Bots, in other words, that detect video clips that are registered as being owned by someone else. That's why you see clips, episodes, and movies sometimes posted to YouTube that avoid detection by mirror-imaging the footage or scaling it down and putting it inside a frame with related artwork. So I think it's just that FUNi has the license, but if they don't...then assuming my understanding is correct, it could be that one of their bots detected the footage from Kai and incorrectly registered it as being DBZ footage rather than Kai footage.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:23 pm

So, here are my thoughts on the episode:

I have to say first that I love the new intro theme. I like it much more than Dragon Soul, which I found a bit lacking. This sounds almost like a Budokai intro (and the guitar version in the promos sounded even more so), despite not being composed/arranged by Yamamoto. I thought the animation was a mixed bag. The beginning where Goku flies towards the screen was pretty terribly animated, with his face looking warped and his hair looking like it's growing:

It looks bad in motion too (it jumped out at me when I first saw it):

I thought the Goku vs. Majin Vegeta cut was actually well done. I'm liking Yamamuro's style a bit more lately. Even though this animation is cheap and the models are kept simple, it's pretty well done, and the punches have good weight behind them for the speed they're animated at:

The Gohan and Gotenks vs Super Buu cut felt similar to the Budokai 3 opening to me. It's not the best, but I think it certainly gets the job done. Is it just me, or does Super Buu seem a bit shorter than he's supposed to?:

Vegeta turning around and appearing as a "Majin" was simple, but pretty fluid:

I still think the Dabura and Babidi cut looks choppy, and SS3 Goku vs Kid Buu looks pretty choppy too, though Goku's Kamehameha looks pretty good. I also think the group shot is the best we've gotten in Kai. Everybody is well drawn and posed decently, unlike the first Kai opening with Kulilin standing like he's about to tip over and everyone looking overly simplified. It's odd that this one seems all inclusive, and completely different than the one we saw in the promos. Perhaps that was an early animation before they decided to make the intro all encompassing for the entire arc?

Now, for the episode itself, I'll say I thought the pacing was perfect. I thought ending on the narrator explaining who Goten was perfect. Now, I'm iffy on the music. It's not really bad, but it's not really Dragon Ball either. What's with all of the harmonicas? I know it's just cheerful music though, and I liked the piece that played when Gohan got his Saiyaman uniform, and at the end of the episode. I don't know if any music is reused from BoG, because I haven't seen that yet. I'm curious as to how the action music will turn out.

I thought the ending theme was... not really fitting. It's not too bad of a song, but Yeah Break Care Break is better in my opinion. The next episode preview music... reminds me of Gundam ZZ's NEP music. They both have similar synths used. It's a disappointment compared to the earlier NEP's fully orchestrated pieces, but at least it's still a decent rendition of the opening theme, which I love.

Videl's new voice... sounds a bit too airheaded to me. She sounds kind of ditzy, whereas Minaguchi captured Videl's energetic side. Nozawa was really good too, and I can't wait to hear more from her as Goku later on.

The footage is sadly green, but it's decently sharp. I miss the great dark details of Q-Tec's remastering though. I didn't mind Kai's reanimated bits, but I'm also okay without them, since it makes the footage more consistent at least.

Well, I think that about covers it. I enjoyed the first episode, despite some flaws. I'm a huge fan of the opening and the pacing, and I'm curious to see where things go in terms of music, acting, and pacing.
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:21 pm

I actually think that Toei's approach to monetising Dragonball actually has a negative effect on how the brand is perceived in Japan, especially when it's done cheaply or without a great deal of care.

So would you say that Kai as a series is a cheap unnecessary rehash? Or do you have a problem with the lack of budget, suspect animation, and low production values in general? I think for what Kai is, the quality is much more than enough. Honestly, when my wife and I watched the new Buu arc episode, we never once found something related about quality to complain about. Everything did the job for us, and I think the average TV viewer (both in Japan and outside) wouldn’t have a problem with the animation. But that’s just my reading on it.

The endless cycle of regurgitation and selling the same old product in a cascade of different guises, which under the hood don't really have any new content, is more likely to reduce interest in Dragonball than increase it, therefore propagating the downward spiral where Toei are less and less willing to put resources into the franchise against falling return revenues.

I guess I’m starting to see your general viewpoint take shape here then. I would disagree with your statement that Kai is the “same old product” as the original Dragon Ball Z anime. I love to watch Kai much more than the original DBZ anime, and it has brought me many weeks of enjoyment. I love that I have a choice to watch a version of DBZ that is much more faithful to the manga, and I don’t see that as being a useless regurgitation, at least for me.

Toei refers to Dragonball as an 'evergreen franchise' because they know its global outreach can be a reasonable source of income for them against a minimal outlay. New content ventures like 'Battle of Gods' break the cycle somewhat, but it's quite debatable as to what their primary goals of such expansions of the franchise are. A lot of people seem to think that the success of Battle of Gods means that we're more likely to get another TV anime, but I'm of the opinion that their market strategy is to use whatever rekindled interest has been generated by the film to give them license to resell old material - again.

Outside of Dragon Ball Kai, what other rehashed material has Toei been working with promoting? I mean beyond video games, there has not been a DB anime presence in years. So I just don’t see or find a problem with Kai’s presence. And I don’t see a problem with Toei using DB to make a profit with a minimal investment. They are a company in the business of making money, and I personally feel that Kai is helping promote the general brand in a positive way. Though I can see your points and appreciate your other point of view.

If you'll excuse the analogy, Toei treats the franchise as though it's a big old apple tree that they want to continue to farm year on year. It's already grown to a great height, and they're not too bothered about pumping it with nutrients to make it grow bigger, they just want it to keep giving them fruit, so they give it the most minimal care possible to allow it to do so.

I understand the general picture that you’re attempting to paint here but I think it’s a bit of an overreaction. I find the purpose of Kai to be quite worth the minimal investment by Toei, as the series (for what it is) doesn’t need a high budget or flashy animation. Your apple tree analogy lets me understand your point, but again, I would disagree with that equation. Toei is helping promote DB, and some mediocre production values are not going to be the end of the world.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:22 pm

I'm pretty sure Erasa has the same voice as in Z.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:23 pm

penguintruth wrote:I'm pretty sure Erasa has the same voice as in Z.
I'm not too familiar with her voice to be honest. :p
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:24 pm

I guess Nobutoshi Canna(or "Nobutoshi Hayashi") is slightly higher in profile 20 years later, and was too expensive to return as his coveted role, Robber C. Obviously, they asked him back.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:30 pm

penguintruth wrote:I'm pretty sure Erasa has the same voice as in Z.
If the cast listing on the main site here is right (which I've no doubt it is), then it is. The only reason I remember that Megumi Urawa was Erasa back then is because she was also Oob at the end of the series.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Famicon3DS
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Famicon3DS » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:32 pm

I watched the episode, and I liked it! :)

I thought the remaster was a bit cheap, but it got the job done though I'm curious to see if there will be any episodes with reanimated scenes like previously. The new score I sort of liked, but felt it was a bit generic though I could feel that way because the Great Saiyaman portion is more laid-back then other arcs.

EDIT : I am extremely glad that Masako Nozawa, even with old age she's still kicking, giving it her all and doing a wonderful job with Goku, Gohan and Goten~! :)
Last edited by Famicon3DS on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:37 pm

Can someone tell me where I can watch this episode?
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:47 pm

Puto wrote:New Kai music vs Sesame Street theme. This does not bode well =P
I'm being punk'd, right? Yukio Nagasaki, or whoever is in charge of hiring the composer, is actually Ashton Kutcher?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:51 pm

B wrote:
Puto wrote:New Kai music vs Sesame Street theme. This does not bode well =P
I'm being punk'd, right? Yukio Nagasaki, or whoever is in charge of hiring the composer, is actually Ashton Kutcher?
I don't think its a rip. As Spongebob use the same rhythm and beat on its best day even song.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:14 pm

Sesame Street! XD
I didn't notice it while watching the episode because it's been so long. Since it's just that opening riff, that's more sampling isn't it? It's still illegal to do without the OK from the person who owns the original (and even so I think they're supposed to pay that original owner money for playing it as part of the agreement, I think.)
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:28 pm

As mentioned a couple pages back, yeah, Megumi Urawa voices Erasa in both Z and Kai (I can't remember if Erasa had any lines in movie 13, but Urawa's credited for it as well on sites like Anime News Network). I'm mostly a fan of her Digimon work, but it's great to hear her anywhere. I love it when actors reprise small roles like that.

Next up, Megumi Hayashibara as the blind boy!
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:32 pm

I cheated again and watched a brief clip just to hear Videl's new voice. Honestly, the green tint doesn't look as bad in motion. In fact, I couldn't even notice it in motion. I can notice it in screenshots, but not when actually watching the clip. I guess it's not as bad as I originally thought.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:33 pm

MagicBox wrote:As mentioned a couple pages back, yeah, Megumi Urawa voices Erasa in both Z and Kai (I can't remember if Erasa had any lines in movie 13, but Urawa's credited for it as well on sites like Anime News Network). I'm mostly a fan of her Digimon work, but it's great to hear her anywhere. I love it when actors reprise small roles like that.
Oh yeah! She was Iori/Cody in Adventure 02, wasn't she? Geez, I forgot all about that. Then again, I try to forget about him as it is. :P

And as far as movie 13 goes...I want to say that Sharpener definitely had a line, and Erasa may have like...giggled in response, or something. That'd still count for a credit I'd guess?
MagicBox wrote:Next up, Megumi Hayashibara as the blind boy!
:lol:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:39 pm

She was Iori as well as Armadimon (Armadillomon), with various other credits in other Digi-shows. :) Great singing voice, too.

Oh right, Dragon Ball forum. Uh... character song for Uub?

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:43 pm

I saw the ending. Doesn't this remind you of DBGT's 3rd Ending?
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

thegoodnamesgone

Post by thegoodnamesgone » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:58 pm

YEY new weekly DragonBall episodes my uni work is going to suffer

Anyway love the new opening also best part of is it when the singer says gorgeous and Goku is nodding its head it looks like he headbanging and i cant stop laughing at it

Videl's new voice is going to take use to, but I would prefer if it was Yui Horie doing the voice.

score I am very mixed and the BOG placements felt off, however the music that played when Gohan was learning to play baseball from Freddie Mercury is much more fitting then it was in Z.

Ending sounds cool and liked the placements of SSJ2 teen Gohan just liked that for some reason.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:03 pm

thegoodnamesgone wrote:best part of is it when the singer says gorgeous and Goku is nodding its head
I enjoyed that, too. It's as if he's nodding along, thinking "You're darn right I look gorgeous!"
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:I saw the ending. Doesn't this remind you of DBGT's 3rd Ending?
Do you mean the song or animation? The new ending doesn't really sound like "Blue Velvet" to me. And the third GT ending mainly adapted scenes from manga title pages. I didn't see any of that in the Kai ending sequence.

Are you talking about the way the footage would freezeframe at certain points? I guess the third GT ending did that a few times.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:11 pm

Yeah, that's what I meant. They freezeframed the Kai ending, just as they did with GT's third ending. It's a nod to GT. Actually, I would prefer this over any previous Kai endings simply because it keeps the Dragon Ball spirit intact.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.