Kai Episode 99 (06 April 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Re: Kai Episode 99 (06 April 2014)

Post by xmysticgohanx » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:28 pm

lansing wrote:I'm both disappointed with the poor color correction, but at the same time glad that they didn't use that terrible color palette from season 1. Because with them keeping the old color palette intact, it's possible to fix the color issues in post if we have some good references.

I actually like the left way better than the right (looks way more natural) but it could use a little more red.
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:37 pm

xmysticgohanx wrote:
lansing wrote:I'm both disappointed with the poor color correction, but at the same time glad that they didn't use that terrible color palette from season 1. Because with them keeping the old color palette intact, it's possible to fix the color issues in post if we have some good references.
I actually like the left way better than the right (looks way more natural) but it could use a little more red.
Maybe this will change your mind?

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:55 pm

The top looks better imho. Looks more life. Bottem looks dry and dead.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:48 pm

Bottom one has better colours but is absurdly dark. Needs a brightness boost badly.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:05 am

I think people need to learn what to look for when looking at color problems. On the top image, It was pretty obvious that there's a strong yellowish green color cast, as you can see that the skin color turns to yellow. Another problem with the image is that the contrast was way too high, you can see that from the over brighten skin and the over darken shadow on the right guy's hair, where you can't see anything inside of it.
Puto wrote:Bottom one has better colours but is absurdly dark. Needs a brightness boost badly.
This scene took place at dawn, so it was supposed to be dark.

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:01 pm

I must say, I really like this episode.
The Opening-I liked it although it looks more like the video games like Ultimate Tenkaichi cutscenes. There were a few errors to fix such as Goku's hair and aura all joining together. (Is it me, cause I also feel like Gohan is in a weird pose at the end)
The music was overall very good and better than Dragon Soul. 7/10
The Animation-I think this is where it downgrades a little bit. As we know Toei is now doing the animation instead of Q-Tec. The sucky thing is that there is now a green tint as seen in the pictures on here. It doesn't look pleasing to the eye, but I think in a few pictures, I think there is more detail? The cropping is amazing and there isn't many instances where it is bad. I wouldn't have minded if they used the Orange Bricks as a source for Kai seeing that they improved vastly in the later sets. 6/10
The Acting- Overall pretty good. I didn't mind the replacement for Videl and she sound good enough that I think I will enjoy her for the rest. She does sound a little cutesy. I greatly miss the old actor(Forgot her name atm). Masko Nozawa did an amazing job of course. Everyone else did good too. 9/10
The Ending-I like it even though it does sound more like a modern ending for Naruto. It is kind of catchy to be honest. I also like the animation better than the opening.7.5/10
Overall-8/10
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

GarrettCRW
Beyond Newbie

Post by GarrettCRW » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:54 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:It's really shitty to see copyrighted content having ads tacked on by the uploader. Really horrible practice.
The copyright holder can, in lieu of taking down your video, slap ads onto it if their system determines your video matches someone else's content.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:22 am

GarrettCRW wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:It's really shitty to see copyrighted content having ads tacked on by the uploader. Really horrible practice.
The copyright holder can, in lieu of taking down your video, slap ads onto it if their system determines your video matches someone else's content.
Huh? No, if the video is taken down then the video is gone. There's nothing to put advertisements on.

If the copyright holder claims your video but allows you to keep it up, then they will put their own ads on it. Hence my reference to Nintendo's approach to content featuring their games.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:11 am

Aside from the technical issues it's enjoyable but the music is just so bland and uninteresting it makes me wish Toei Animation would have just used the same score from Dragon Ball Z's Majin Boo arc.

Didn't really like the OP/ED either but that was at least in actual high definition.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

ss4songoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ss4songoku » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:19 pm

I really enjoyed the pacing but like many have said the music doesn't seem to fit most of the time and will take me a long time to adjust to. The score isn't bad It just sounds like it belongs in a different anime to me. I'm sure it will grow on me though.

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:35 am

So I know this is an old thread now since more episodes have since been released, but I still felt like putting in my two cents for episode 99. I don't plan on watching the Buu kai arc until it comes out in the U.S. but I had to watch this one just to get a feel of what's new.

Opening song: Fantastic! Liked it on the first listen, fell in love with it on the second listen and onwards. It definitely has that classic DBZ sound.
Ending song: Pretty good. It's mellow, it's nice. Not bad at all.
Background soundtrack: Horrible. Oh my God, what were they thinking? It sounds like the start menu music from a video game. And it feels like it never stops. Constant, incessant background music is the reason why I loathe the Falcouner version of the english dub. It just feels like it doesn't let the show breath in a little, and now it seems like it'll be a problem with Kai Majin Buu saga. Except instead of rock synth music now we get video game start menu music. I really wish they would've just kept the original Kikuchi score for the Majin Buu saga instead of this new one.
Eye-catches: Decent enough except for the Videl one. Whoever drew Videl in that eyecatch needs to get fired ASAP. That was horribly drawn. I can probably draw a better Videl than that!
Edits from the original Z: It seems like they crammed about two episodes into one if my memory serves me right. I'm liking the fast pace they're going with. I hope they keep at it; since after all, this is the main reason we're watching Kai in the first place.

It's still watchable I suppose. I just hope the new music doesn't bother me too much for the rest of the show. That's really my only gripe with this new saga.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:11 pm

Daimakku wrote:So I know this is an old thread now since more episodes have since been released, but I still felt like putting in my two cents for episode 99. I don't plan on watching the Buu kai arc until it comes out in the U.S. but I had to watch this one just to get a feel of what's new.

Opening song: Fantastic! Liked it on the first listen, fell in love with it on the second listen and onwards. It definitely has that classic DBZ sound.
Ending song: Pretty good. It's mellow, it's nice. Not bad at all.
Background soundtrack: Horrible. Oh my God, what were they thinking? It sounds like the start menu music from a video game. And it feels like it never stops. Constant, incessant background music is the reason why I loathe the Falcouner version of the english dub. It just feels like it doesn't let the show breath in a little, and now it seems like it'll be a problem with Kai Majin Buu saga. Except instead of rock synth music now we get video game start menu music. I really wish they would've just kept the original Kikuchi score for the Majin Buu saga instead of this new one.
Eye-catches: Decent enough except for the Videl one. Whoever drew Videl in that eyecatch needs to get fired ASAP. That was horribly drawn. I can probably draw a better Videl than that!
Edits from the original Z: It seems like they crammed about two episodes into one if my memory serves me right. I'm liking the fast pace they're going with. I hope they keep at it; since after all, this is the main reason we're watching Kai in the first place.

It's still watchable I suppose. I just hope the new music doesn't bother me too much for the rest of the show. That's really my only gripe with this new saga.
Having watched all of the currently available episodes I can indeed let you know that the music improves a whole lot!
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.