Kai Episode 100 (13 April 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Kai Episode 100 (13 April 2014)

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:30 am

Naruto6583 wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:...Why did you split that into two posts?
I'm using my psp and it wouldn't let me post the whole thing
I see.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:40 am

yeah its pretty annoying
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:38 am

I gotta agree that when it's filler material being blitz by...it really feels weird for the pacing. I never heard of fast filler, but this is it. Filler isn't supposed to go by so fast. It all feels really pointless here.

I don't hate the music, but it's so boring and forgettable as of now. I really hope that once the real Boo saga events kick off, the ost get's a lot better. Only the AMAZING INTRO SONG, and PRETTY GOOD ENDING THEME are the only good pieces of music...yeah the ending theme quickly grew on me.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:45 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Yes, I know, opinions and all that but I'm beyond confused how anyone can praise this soundtrack let alone call it better than Yamamoto's efforts.

This is literally Faulconer levels of fucking abysmal.

Dreadful synthisised drone and pounding drums.

Julian put it best on Twitter; "Mr. Faulconer goes to Japan — in Technicolor GREEN!"
...Yes, that does sound rather exactly like the kind of music one would hear in the FUNi dub. I mean, I thought you just meant that they were similarly unfitting, but no... that exact track could have been in the FUNi-dub and not felt out of place at all.

Fulicer
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fulicer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:48 am

dbzfan7 wrote:I gotta agree that when it's filler material being blitz by...it really feels weird for the pacing. I never heard of fast filler, but this is it. Filler isn't supposed to go by so fast. It all feels really pointless here.

I don't hate the music, but it's so boring and forgettable as of now. I really hope that once the real Boo saga events kick off, the ost get's a lot better. Only the AMAZING INTRO SONG, and PRETTY GOOD ENDING THEME are the only good pieces of music...yeah the ending theme quickly grew on me.
Music seems fine to me. It would be interesting to see how they handle the more tense moments. The great thing about DB is all of the soundtracks that we get treated to. Don't forget those cutscenes in Ultimate Tenkaichi, which had a nice BGM too.

The bumper/title music track is pretty catchy.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:32 am

Is it me or is Kai going incredibly fast? I haven't Buu Saga Z but I'm pretty sure it was like 6 or so episodes before Goku said he was coming back for a day.
The music was just sort of there, hardly memorable.

The two Trunks moment were hilarious though :lol:

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:56 am

Watched it and let it sink in, to see if I felt the same a couple of days later. I do.

This episode felt terribly rushed, like they really wanna skip to the big stuff. The music is terrible. At one point, I literally thought I had a Legacy of Goku game running in the background, some of it sounded like tunes coming out of a Game Boy Advance. Next Episode Preview music still sounds incredibly cheap.
I'm surprised to see people saying the footage looks worse than when Q-TEC did, Kai always looked this bad to me.

Two episodes in, I feel like I watched it for the opening and ending. Speaking of new animation, no new eyecatches?
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:01 am

Why would it have a new eyecatch already? The current one was still perfectly relevant. They don't usually change eyecatches every single episode, you know.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:10 am

The music really does just sound like someone pressed the "Demo" button on a cheap keyboard and called it a day.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:31 am

Puto wrote:Why would it have a new eyecatch already? The current one was still perfectly relevant. They don't usually change eyecatches every single episode, you know.
The few Kai episodes prior to this I watched always had different ones, so I ended up never seeing how often they changed. (Though, one could argue neither of the fusion animations are relevant right now lol)
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:08 am

I find it funny how everyone just pays attention to the more generic parts of the soundtrack but almost completely ignore the last piece of orchestra that believe it or not, it's actually pretty good, and a recognizable melody, seems like when Yamamoto's music was first introduced. I do agree it needs more orchestra tho.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:18 am

The last soundtrack is awesome but it doesn't fit the scene. At first, it sounds like a serious theme, then it transforms into a music appropriate for British Kings or something...

And put the official trailer in the main page and not the one with that weird tune behind the NEP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MapIx1wecHo

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:25 am

Black_Liger wrote:I find it funny how everyone just pays attention to the more generic parts of the soundtrack but almost completely ignore the last piece of orchestra that believe it or not, it's actually pretty good, and a recognizable melody, seems like when Yamamoto's music was first introduced. I do agree it needs more orchestra tho.
I most certainly didn't ignore it. It was my main positive in my initial post about the episode. However, I don't think one well composed and orchestrated track should prevent a focus on the overwhelming amount of terrible tracks from the episode. I think positivity will come when the positives start outweighing the negatives as a whole.

It's easy to fall into pit of negativity but I think this week's episode was very poor as such, the line of conversation has gone that way.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:31 am

Black_Liger wrote:I find it funny how everyone just pays attention to the more generic parts of the soundtrack but almost completely ignore the last piece of orchestra that believe it or not, it's actually pretty good
But does one decent track used out of place redeem the whole soundtrack so far? Because I don't think it does/will.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:38 am

The score itself doesn't bother me much. It sure sounds cheap, but it's tolerable except for the NEP music. I think that Hollywood-esque overly grand orchestral music (which Yamamoto aimed at) doesn't really go well with a shonen TV series. Things are different when it comes to movies, though.
TheRed259 wrote:The last soundtrack is awesome but it doesn't fit the scene. At first, it sounds like a serious theme, then it transforms into a music appropriate for British Kings or something...
Agreed. Also, it almost fucked up Vegeta's funny reaction.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:47 am

Black_Liger wrote:I find it funny how everyone just pays attention to the more generic parts of the soundtrack but almost completely ignore the last piece of orchestra that believe it or not, it's actually pretty good, and a recognizable melody, seems like when Yamamoto's music was first introduced. I do agree it needs more orchestra tho.
I didn't ignore it either. I just thought that track isn't as good as you make it out to be. Didn't catch on to me

Fulicer
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fulicer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:35 pm

TheRed259 wrote:The last soundtrack is awesome but it doesn't fit the scene. At first, it sounds like a serious theme, then it transforms into a music appropriate for British Kings or something...

And put the official trailer in the main page and not the one with that weird tune behind the NEP.
Yeah the NEP music does sound way too cheap. Like it's from some old RPG from the mid-90s.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:53 pm

Fulicer wrote:

Yeah the NEP music does sound way too cheap. Like it's from some old RPG from the mid-90s.
I bet that toei gave sumitomo a tight budget to work with
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:28 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
I didn't ignore it either. I just thought that track isn't as good as you make it out to be. Didn't catch on to me

I take it any day against the butchered kikuchi score which doesn't even have his best pieces.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:36 pm

Just posted up my full review of this episode should anyone care to check it out.

It includes some comparison shots to the Dragon Box as well as some audio clips of the music featured in the show. I'd be very interested to see how you feel about my thoughts now that they're fully fleshed out.

Regarding my colour correction examples; don't take them as gospel. They're just what I personally find appealing and are meant for comparison purposes only. They may not be in line with how you personally would have wanted Kai to look so please do focus on the other stuff!
I take it any day against the butchered kikuchi score which doesn't even have his best pieces.
Mm, it's true, the replacement was very limited with what they used but the Boo arc as a whole doesn't really have the biggest variety in tracks. I imagine they could have made it work with what little there is in there. Ideally, I'd have composer that isn't killing each episode!
Last edited by Ajay on Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.