Kai Episode 102 (27 April 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJ Electric Fury
Beyond Newbie

Re: Kai Episode 102 (27 April 2014)

Post by SSJ Electric Fury » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:49 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:By the way, this guy is he a family member of Tao Pai Pai? If not then he's just a random somewhat lookalike Tao Pai Pai but tad fatter.
So I'm not the only one who noticed that when watching this episode, then.

As others have said before, the green tint makes people's skin look unnatural. I, for one, don't think I'll get over it anytime soon, if this continues.
kei17 wrote:It expresses everyone's excitement about his return, and it would have worked well if Goku's not dead and Gohan and Krillin's first reactions were all, but look at them starting crying right after that.
Exactly. Once Kuririn's eyes water up, there's a jarring difference between what's being conveyed through the characters (and what the viewers are supposed to feel) and what feeling the music conveys.
"You can't make up for your mistakes when you're dead." - Irina Akulov, Xenoblade [Chronicles] X
ringworm128 wrote:

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:13 am

kei17 wrote:It almost makes me want to throw up when I think about kids around the world getting this. Motoyama should be ashamed of his lack of talent.
But at this stage with his previous repertoire serving as ample demonstration of his abilities and suitability (or lack of both), does the fault lay more with the unskilled handyman, or the people who continue to put work in his hands?

I think the more and more we see of the Buu arc of Kai, the clearer it becomes that the failures of the end product started right at the top of the tree through either lack of care in distributing the key decision making roles for the day-to-day production or total ignorance, or indifference, at observing the quality of the product being produced. You can't help but feel they either weren't keeping track of what was going on, or they simply weren't interested in doing anything about it.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:16 pm

Put together a joint review of #101 and #102 - http://dbtaizen.tumblr.com/post/8413717 ... 102-review

I don't think I even have the energy to keep doing this anymore. This Kai revival has been nothing short of abysmal.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:27 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Put together a joint review of #101 and #102 - http://dbtaizen.tumblr.com/post/8413717 ... 102-review

I don't think I even have the energy to keep doing this anymore. This Kai revival has been nothing short of abysmal.
That was great but what's with the love for Q-TEC now? I'll admit they did somewhat of a decent job for the old Dragon Ball Kai but other series were less fortunate because of the excessive DNR that Q-TEC used on them.

Gallery of Q-TEC's Galaxy Express 999 remastered series on Blu-ray: http://someimage.com/9BCU

I'd rather take FUNimation's Level Blu-ray remastering over this if Toei were to hire Q-TEC to remaster Dragon Ball Z in HD.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:33 pm

I enjoyed Q-TEC's work on Kai a lot and so I wish they were back for consistency's sake.

I would also take the Level Sets restoration over Kai but that wasn't really relevant to my review nor the purpose of Kai in the first place.

I definitely don't speak for all of Q-TEC's work when I say that I enjoyed what they did for Dragon Ball.

Deadtuber.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:15 pm

"Don't fix it if it ain't broke" is the most appropriate phrase to describe this show in a nutshell so far. Though I never think that Z is perfect and the staff at the time was the best, the current Kai staff is just so incompetent that the "being faithful to the manga" purpose they were talking about now sounds really vain and high-blown. They are obviously short of the level needed to officially tinker with the great predecessors' creations. Don't talk about "improving" old stuff if you don't have any enough skills. You have no right to do it.
Last edited by kei17 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:18 pm

kei17 wrote:"Don't fix it if it ain't broke" is the most appropriate phrase to describe this show in a nutshell so far. Though I never think that Z is perfect and the staff at the time was the best, the current Kai staff is just so incompetent that the "being faithful to the manga" purpose they were talking about now sounds really vain and high-blown. They are obviously short of the level needed to officially tinker with the great predecessors' creations. The whole stuff is just like some bad fan project run by unskilled people.
To say nothing of the fact that a few of the core staff have no previously recorded credits. :sweat: I wonder if everyone working on this series is using pseudonyms or are just businessmen?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:40 pm

kei17 wrote:Don't talk about "improving" old stuff if you don't have any enough skills. You have no right to do it.
Who's that referring to? :?

Deadtuber.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:42 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
kei17 wrote:Don't talk about "improving" old stuff if you don't have any enough skills. You have no right to do it.
Who's that referring to? :?
The Buu Kai staff.

The producer was proudly talking about how they improved some things and made it closer to the original manga, but what the hell is this? Everything else falls below minimum standards for a commercial anime show. There are so many things to be dealt with before some really minor nitpicking things like Goku's halo or something.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:03 pm

Ahh, I see. I thought it was in relation to my review or dbboxkaifan's post so I was a bit confused as to where it came from! Apologies.

Makes total sense now and I entirely agree. There's zero point fixing minor details if you can't even get the original footage looking anywhere near up to the standards you'd expect of a modern remaster.

Incredibly embarrassing talk. Such a shame.

Deadtuber.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:04 pm

kei17 wrote:The producer was proudly talking about how they improved some things and made it closer to the original manga, but what the hell is this? Everything else falls below minimum standards for a commercial anime show. There are so many things to be dealt with before some really minor nitpicking things like Goku's halo or something.
Wow, so the producer really said those things. The person who originally posted that said his Japanese wasn't perfect and that he could be wrong, and that whole boast about Buu's arms and Goku's halo in one shot sounded unbelievable to me, so I was skeptical.

Now that you've confirmed it, I'm curious as to how they'll fix those errors. Will they be redrawn (probably terribly), or crappy digital paintjobs like the FUNi-Ocean dub?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:28 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Will they be redrawn (probably terribly), or crappy digital paintjobs like the FUNi-Ocean dub?
Well, it depends ...what is the cheapest method to redraw those scenes ? :lol:
Joking aside, does anyone checked if they did a selective cropping ? here's a little comparison (not from me) :
It looks like a dead center cropping, as in the orange bricks, and nothing more...
I can't find words to express my disappointment, really...crappy remastering, crappy music (while I personally think that Mr.Sumitomo is a very good composer)...
That **** isn't Dragon Ball Kai anymore.This ode to mediocrity is the product of incompetence, ignorance, negligence, total disrespect for a work and its fans.
My english skills are limited, I'm sorry about that guys, I just hope that my modest opinion is understandable, and my deep disgust as well.God save the Dragon Boxes.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:48 pm

ShinGaijin wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:Will they be redrawn (probably terribly), or crappy digital paintjobs like the FUNi-Ocean dub?
Well, it depends ...what is the cheapest method to redraw those scenes ? :lol:
Joking aside, does anyone checked if they did a selective cropping ? here's a little comparison (not from me) :
It looks like a dead center cropping, as in the orange bricks, and nothing more...
I can't find words to express my disappointment, really...crappy remastering, crappy music (while I personally think that Mr.Sumitomo is a very good composer)...
That **** isn't Dragon Ball Kai anymore.This ode to mediocrity is the product of incompetence, ignorance, neglect, total disrespect for a work and its fans.
My english skills are limited, I'm sorry about that guys, I just hope that my modest opinion is understandable, and my deep disgust as well.God save the Dragon Boxes.
They definitely did selectively crop the show the scenes you posted were pretty much impossible to crop without losing something so there really wasn't anything Toei could do there(other than redrawing it).
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:52 pm

Pretty crazy how much horizontal is gained this time. Not that it really matters but it does make the cropping more versatile.

Deadtuber.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:01 pm

kei17 wrote:The producer was proudly talking about how they improved some things and made it closer to the original manga, but what the hell is this? Everything else falls below minimum standards for a commercial anime show. There are so many things to be dealt with before some really minor nitpicking things like Goku's halo or something.
Yeah, in hindsight, I wonder if that was them going into damage control. Like, "Well..........ummm.......yeahit'sgotagreentintweknowsorryaboutthat BUT LOOK, we fixed Goku's halo!"
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:43 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Yeah, in hindsight, I wonder if that was them going into damage control. Like, "Well..........ummm.......yeahit'sgotagreentintweknowsorryaboutthat BUT LOOK, we fixed Goku's halo!"
I wouldn't really say it was damage control because those comments were made prior to the show being broadcast. No one had even seen it yet.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:53 pm

Even though it looks awful with the green tint, it looks great when filtered. I hope they will fix that with the home releases, but I doubt it. I find it really sad that the bootleg releases of Kai are superior to the official releases (Yamamoto music for 1st half, no green tint for 2nd half, all in HD & widescreen), at least IMO.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

baneofdemon22
Beyond Newbie

Post by baneofdemon22 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:17 am

Like every episode so far, I really enjoyed this episode. It feels very different on all ends, and that makes it more interesting for me.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:52 am

I personally want to see Toei make some form of lurid, outlandish excuse for the green-tint - just so we can say that their belittlement of the fandom is totally complete.

"Hey guys! Don't worry about that green - it's just 'Scouter Vision' to provide everyone with the experience of what the show would look like if being watched behind a green scouter. We'll also be releasing super-collectible blue and red tint editions too!"
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:07 am

The terrible score on this episode made me wonder how it would have been with the Kikuchi score, so I made my music placement just out of curiosity. http://yahoo.jp/box/YwgOlW