Kai Episode 102 (27 April 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Re: Kai Episode 102 (27 April 2014)

Post by MagicBox » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:19 pm

I really don't have anything to say this week. I haven't been letting the picture quality bother me too much because I'm still holding out hope that the home video release will look different, but everything looked really, really dark this week. It was hard not to notice. The music is still bad, the music placement is still even worse. The punching machine gags lose their punchlines (doh-ho-ho) if you've just got that bad techno-ish piece of music droning on during the entire thing. When #18 scored a 774, there should have (at least) been a second of background silence or a change in music or something. Ugh.

Man, I love the tournament announcer. One of my favorite side characters, even if the voice actors apparently hate doing all of his screams. So who has the "pleasure" of voicing him this time?

Looks like the next episode is going to try to cover the entire Junior Division. That'll be interesting. This is the first "real" fight everyone's been waiting for. The music staff better step up.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:23 pm

Concerning the problem of bland colors, it seems that this is due to the encoding from :BIIIIIIIP: :lol: (or maybe, NST channel itself) :

Last week screenshots :

Yesterday screenshots :

Apart from that ...Motoyama san...my congratulations for the music placement. :think: here's a link for you buddy... http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%84%9F%E6%83%85

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:05 pm

The new music track makes me wonder if I should just watch Z for the Boo saga, even with the sometimes poor dub dialogue for the french Z dub...

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:31 pm

sangofe wrote:The new music track makes me wonder if I should just watch Z for the Boo saga, even with the sometimes poor dub dialogue for the french Z dub...
I prefer having a bad version from Japan than a bad version from France. We all know what the French did to DB. IMO, this pales in comparison.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:52 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:I prefer having a bad version from Japan than a bad version from France. We all know what the French did to DB. IMO, this pales in comparison.
Hmm, so you didn't appreciate Boubou and Neptune ? :lol: OAAAAAH ! AB.What a joke.
By the way, another episode version (from Fuji TV this time) is available, colors seems to be as usual, compared to NST's one.
Last edited by ShinGaijin on Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:54 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote:Man now I'm starting to miss the kikuchi replacement score for Kai. Hell even the ocean dub mega man music sounds better then this new score. If the new score starts to get worse and worse I might just buy season 7,8, and 9 on blu once funimation releases them.
Dbzfan94 wrote:Now I miss the Faulconer score more than ever. :lol:
Faulconer score was not that bad. Its just really overrated by the casual fans.

I was bring serious I miss the Faulconer score. I love it. It's perfect during the Buu Saga in my opinion.
SSJ3 Powerup, all of Buu's themes, Gohan Powers Up to name a few

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:16 pm

This gang reunion cant even be compared to the original version. No chance at all. :roll:

Not only because the bad BGM chosen but the whole scene itself. Goku didnt see them for 7 years.
I like how in the original version they took their time in this moment. Its one of those moments I didnt want to see rushed.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:24 pm

I liked this episode but, wow did my eyes widen with that choice of music for Goku's return...WTF was that shit. Like others have said, even funimation did a better job in the first dub than that. I never really complained about picture quality and stuff as long as the voices, music, and images entertained me. So far only 2/3 of that do. I also will never get tired of the punching bag scene.

I'd support Funimation getting a new soundtrack now...this new stuff is mostly bad.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:38 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:I liked this episode but, wow did my eyes widen with that choice of music for Goku's return...WTF was that shit. Like others have said, even funimation did a better job in the first dub than that.
It's not that bad. If you look at it from another perspective, it's like ''oh yeah, Goku is back!!''.
Anyway, I hope that this doesn't mean lack of sad soundtracks...

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:48 pm

TheRed259 wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:I liked this episode but, wow did my eyes widen with that choice of music for Goku's return...WTF was that shit. Like others have said, even funimation did a better job in the first dub than that.
It's not that bad. If you look at it from another perspective, it's like ''oh yeah, Goku is back!!''.
Anyway, I hope that this doesn't mean lack of sad soundtracks...
It was a touching moment...all the other versions seem to have got that right.

I am dreading the future battles and how the soundtrack will be done for them.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:53 pm

ShinGaijin wrote:
UltimateHammerBro wrote:I prefer having a bad version from Japan than a bad version from France. We all know what the French did to DB. IMO, this pales in comparison.
Hmm, so you didn't appreciate Boubou and Neptune ? :lol: OAAAAAH ! AB.What a joke.
I appreciate Boubou, but not Neptune. In fact, the first couple of episodes called him Shin, then Neptune.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:35 pm

Speaking of the music track for Goku's return, I kind of see what Motoyama wanted to do here. It expresses everyone's excitement about his return, and it would have worked well if Goku's not dead and Gohan and Krillin's first reactions were all, but look at them starting crying right after that. It gets terribly out of place in a blink of an eye. It doesn't reflect the weight of the seven years at all.

It almost makes me want to throw up when I think about kids around the world getting this. Motoyama should be ashamed of his lack of talent.
Last edited by kei17 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:59 pm

Just finished watching the episode and it wasn't that bad except for the music used when Goku returned to meet his friends.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:45 pm

Goten flying around in the beginning - This BGM that they used sounds so similar to one that's on Mario Sunshine or Sonic 06 so if they wanna throw this piece around more often then please do! :D

Gohan & Videl talking about Mr. Satan - Kinda sounds like what you'd get from playing an SNES game.

Mr. Satan's grand appearance at the Tenkaichi Budokai -- Fitting song they used for this moment and it was pretty good.

The music placement for Goku's reunion was bad but other than this, it was all right and from now on I'm somewhat excited to see the next upcoming episode, Goten Vs. Trunks will be entertaining as heck to watch.

By the way, this guy is he a family member of Tao Pai Pai? If not then he's just a random somewhat lookalike Tao Pai Pai but tad fatter.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:15 pm

ShinGaijin wrote: Last week screenshots :

Yesterday screenshots :

What is the difference between these screenshots? They look the same to me.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:23 pm

Not much, but the top one is slightly more saturated (as it should be). You can see it in Kulilin's vest color.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:43 pm

Nozawa's Goten saved this episode from failure. Just saying. Basically Nozawa saved most of thesr episodes from failure.

Also imo Nozawa sounds better than the past few Db Anime works and video games

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:03 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:Nozawa's Goten saved this episode from failure. Just saying. Basically Nozawa saved most of thesr episodes from failure.

Also imo Nozawa sounds better than the past few Db Anime works and video games
Yeah that was nice of Nozawa and while I know that Mr. Takiguchi is no longer with us it was a bit disappointing to hear Fortune Smeller Baba with a different voice. :(
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:41 pm

TheAldella wrote:I don't feel bad. DBZKaiMusicRevival will save the dub, at least. Maybe they'll uh...Use tracks they can use properly.
It's a shame considering Sumitomo's tracks in BoG's were pretty good if you ask me. But that coupled with Motoyama's god awful placement. Eh... If DBZKaiMusicRevival doesn't do a rescore for Buu, I will. Probably will myself anyway.
Last edited by El Diabeetus on Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:02 pm

Haven't seen the episode, but looked at the screenshots. Honestly? I'm completely in favor of FUNimation trying to color-correct the footage, especially if it can be done as easily as fellow Kanzenshuuers have demonstrated. Sure, the orange bricks and season sets may not be that great, but the Level sets were, and that required far more labor, time, and money to produce than color-correcting this footage would take. It seems like just applying some filters to the footage would do the trick, no need for a frame-by-frame restoration.

I mean, wow, I try to put the green tint aside, but it's hard to do that when, in the same show, you have opening animation, eyecatches, and ending animation where the colors are just fine by comparison. I know a fair deal of people will disagree with me on this, but speaking purely from my own perspective, the green tint was more immediately noticeable to me than any of the shortcomings of the orange bricks, which I didn't even notice until I read about them.

And yikes, it doesn't appear as though the music is being received particularly well. Wall-to-wall placement and synth music? Ho boy.....I won't judge the music 'till I hear it, but if this really is the case, then I really hope this doesn't set a new precedent for Toei.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."