Kai Episode 107 (01 June 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 107 (01 June 2014)

Post by Hujio » Fri May 30, 2014 11:36 pm

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Kai episode 107, aired 01 June 2014

恐ろしき魔人の秘密 黒幕出現!!
Osoroshiki Majin no Himitsu Kuromaku Shutsugen!!
Secrets of the Terrible Majin — The Man Behind the Curtain Appears!!

PLEASE SAVE DISCUSSION FOR AFTER THE EPISODE HAS AIRED
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

DefectiveV

Re: Kai Episode 107 (01 June 2014)

Post by DefectiveV » Sat May 31, 2014 11:14 pm

Fucking disgusting slowdown. Covered last 10 minutes of 219 and first 14 of 220. Thats genuinely repulsive.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat May 31, 2014 11:23 pm

Aside from the return of the Faulconer Tribute and Disco track, that was near perfect. I don’t really have a lot to say outside of that.

It was well paced and allowed silence when there needed to be some, for the most part. The Faulconer-esque track near the start seemed unnecessary; I think that could have easily been removed.

All the new tracks were great. Absolutely nothing like traditional Dragon Ball music but it works regardless.

I was kinda expecting to hear Babidi and Dabura speak this episode but the pacing really has slowed down a lot. I quite like it!

There's a heck of a lot of exposition in that episode and to try and speed through that and introduce Babidi and Dabura properly would have been absurd.

SCREENSHOTS: http://minus.com/mbuyqgJMSFOVuP
Last edited by Ajay on Sat May 31, 2014 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Sat May 31, 2014 11:31 pm

DefectiveV wrote:Fucking disgusting slowdown. Covered last 10 minutes of 219 and first 14 of 220. Thats genuinely repulsive.
Damn, so do I have scenes to look forward to like Dabura hovering with his hand in front of Kibito's face for an hour before he blows him away? :cry:

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat May 31, 2014 11:42 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
DefectiveV wrote:Fucking disgusting slowdown. Covered last 10 minutes of 219 and first 14 of 220. Thats genuinely repulsive.
Damn, so do I have scenes to look forward to like Dabura hovering with his hand in front of Kibito's face for an hour before he blows him away? :cry:
No, I don't understand DefectiveV's reaction at all. That entire episode is filled with essential dialogue. Just because Kai removes filler, it doesn't mean it has to sacrifice breathing room with its editing. We've just complained about it being far too quick cut and the second they slow it down, there's complaints?

I don't get it. That episode was fine.

Deadtuber.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:14 am

The music placement was entirely acceptable for the first time. I love the recap track. The edit was good, too, but that filler scene with pterosaurs is obviously unnecessary.

By the way, am I the only one who doesn't like Yuji Mitsuya's performance? He was far better in Z.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:24 am

Alright, best episode so far, best music so far. I really need a soundtrack cd now!
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:10 am

I don't feel like the pacing went down.
The entire episode serves as exposition to Majin Boo's backstory. But it still pretty much keeps to the manga!

Sure, there are one extra reaction here, one extra line from a secondary character there, but nothing that feels longer than what we usually had with Kai until now.
The only "fully filler" scene is a short scene with dinosaurs being scared, but it was likely kept so that the episode could end where it does.

So in the sense that it's still 95% stick-to-the-manga, I don't feel that it has slowed down more than the manga itself does.

Let me say that Videl's goodbye to Gohan felt more emotional than ever with that beautiful new piece of music, but many other cool tracks we've heard lately were back in that episode as well.
Black_Liger wrote:I really need a soundtrack cd now!
So do I. 8)
But they'll probably wait for all endings to be released, so that they can put them all on the soundtrack as well.

Note that Toei played it safe: they plan to have different endings, but if they changed their minds for any reason (single not selling so well despite the Dragon Ball brand, laziness to animate another ending sequence, etc...), they designed the animation for Dear Zarathustra to cover all of the arc if needed, just in case.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:04 am

Yeah, things have definitely taken a turn for the better. I imagine that perhaps they rushed the earlier episodes and didn't put much effort into them to get to the action (or perhaps Toei thought they needed to put more effort into them after a few episodes or something).
kei17 wrote:I love the recap track.
Same here. That guitar part is fantastic (kind of gives me a Playstation Mega Man X vibe)!
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:28 am

This is a bit of an overreaction.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:42 am

Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:42 pm

I can see how it felt like a slowdown, but pretty much none of it was filler and I actually LIKE that there was 5% filler, because that means they're not rushing things. There were NO weird edits this time, which is the first time ever. You might not see the weird edits, but I do, being an editor myself and this time nothing bugged me at all. Music was okay. Musicwise the highlights were Videl realizing who Gohan is (seriously, like Cold Skin says, I've never thought of this scene as emotional, but that track made this such a GREAT sweet scene, even though Gohan is practically telling Videl to get lost because she isn't strong enough, he couldn't have said it sweeter and I actually believe they're love for eachother. Note I hadn't seen this in japanese before, so that kinda helps :p), and I really liked when Gohan and Kibito joined the rest of the party (I don't even know why, but the mood was exactly right for that kind of music to me :p).

Please keep it like this with 5% filler every time, that's the greatest. This is SO much better than how it started :)

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:34 pm

When new ED pls
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:46 pm

can anyone give me a short (1 or 2 line) synopsis of what happened in this episode? I'd be very appreciative.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:01 pm

Z fighters fly off with Kaioshin, following Spopovich and Yamu. Queue a majority of the episode spent detailing Madoshi Babidi, Boo, his creation and the general threat that's coming. Episode ends as they arrive at Babidi's spaceship and Dabura and Babidi exit the ship.

Deadtuber.

GarrettCRW
Beyond Newbie

Post by GarrettCRW » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:51 pm

Basically, the entire episode was just exposition.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:35 pm

Apart from the new OP, the new ED, and a brief few moments of a scene with Videl so I could hear her new voice actress, I'm waiting for the official North American release of the Kai Buu arc and haven't seen anything else. So it's always interesting for me to read these reviews and get a general feel for the reaction it's getting. The reaction to the first couple episodes had me pretty bummed, as it seemed like everyone hated them...but the reception seems to be doing a slow-but-sure 180, for the better. Good to know!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:37 am

Reflecting the thoughts of the majority of posters here, I feel that the pace has vastly improved with these last two episodes, this weeks being the best. DefectiveV greatly overreacted, I think, to the slowdown. While the Pterosaur filler scene was left in, it was less than a minute long and didn't bother me at all. Overall, I'd say there was probably a minute or less, total, of filler in the entire episode, though I haven't done a side-by-side comparison with the manga. And that wasn't at a sacrifice for pace, because the episode still moved along swiftly enough, it just had a little desperately needed breathing room, unlike the earlier episodes of the arc.

I didn't notice any weird edits, either, except for maybe when Kibito was healing Gohan for all of three seconds before saying "His full power isn't back yet! His power knows no end!", which wasn't necessarily a weird edit, but he had literally just started. Oh well, nothing like the earlier episodes moving at breakneck speed.

I still don't like how the new OP and ED themes pretty much spoil the entire arc, but that can't be helped now.

So far, has anyone noticed any instances of censorship? For instance, was there any blood removed from the Videl/Spopovich fight? I haven't had a chance to check myself.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:51 am

TheAldella wrote:When new ED pls
Let's be sure we're actually trying to contribute something useful to the discussion. Thanks.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:31 am

Hujio wrote:
TheAldella wrote:When new ED pls
Let's be sure we're actually trying to contribute something useful to the discussion. Thanks.
UM??????????????????? Wow, way not to catch a question and call someone out. I see you people can't take anything less than actual damn paragraph. I'm asking when people think the second ending song should kick in, smart ass.
Secondly, I'm aware that this is an overreaction.
Last edited by TheAldella on Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.