Kai Episode 108 (08 June 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 108 (08 June 2014)

Post by Hujio » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:10 am

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Kai episode 108, aired 08 June 2014

極悪魔導師バビディと暗黒魔界の王ダーブラの罠
Gokuaku Madōshi Babidi to Ankoku Makai no Ō Dābra no Wana
The Heinous Mage Babidi and King of the Underworld Dabra's Trap

PLEASE SAVE DISCUSSION FOR AFTER THE EPISODE HAS AIRED
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Re: Kai Episode 108 (08 June 2014)

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:31 pm

Great episode, followed the manga pretty much to the letter. Pacing was vastly improved, a shame we won't be seeing this cut here in the West.

I'm not sure how I feel about Babidi's new Seiyuu, I suppose he''ll grow on me. I wonder if Duncan Brannan will reprise his role for the FUNi dub?.

It seems the next episode will cover at least up to "Z" #223, leaving just a little over 68 episodes left to adapt, minus the 1 filler, leaving a total of 67.
Last edited by DBZ_Lee on Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:32 pm

Another pretty solid episode. Still some excessive music in places that really could have done with some silence but on the whole, pretty good.

We got to hear Bobiddi's new voice! Yeah...I don't know how I feel about it. It's pretty different and I'm still in shock, honestly. My initial response was 'oh god, no, this is terrible' but it grew on me as the episode went on. I'm not entirely convinced but the guys in the IRC seemed happy with it. He does have the best laugh though, I'll give him that! 'kihihihihi!'

Pacing seems to be setting up some good end points for the upcoming episodes so there's no real complaints there. Couple of very short filler scenes left in but nothing offensive.

Once again, I'm fairly excited to see next week. Kai seems to be making a reasonable turn around still.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:44 am

Man, I got scared for second there. The music in the scene where Babbidi gives the energy to Buu's ball/egg is very similar to this. Thankfully, it's only the drum(?) that's the same, but still, I thought we almost had Yamamoto 2.0.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:38 am

Here's a quick comparison I put together between the two Bobbidi voices - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBhiPqBYzI4

After sleeping on it, I'm still pretty set in my opinion that Jōji Yanami is far better than Bin Shimada at this point in time. Shimada's delivery seems far more over the top and 'silly' compared to Yanami's. They're similar but there's a twisted edge to Yanami's work that's unfortunately missing in the replacement.

I guess we'll see as time goes on. It's not a huge deal, I guess.

Deadtuber.

neowl

Post by neowl » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:56 am

DBZ_Lee wrote:Great episode, followed the manga pretty much to the letter. Pacing was vastly improved, a shame we won't be seeing this cut here in the West.

I'm not sure how I feel about Babidi's new Seiyuu, I suppose he''ll grow on me. I wonder if Duncan Brannan will reprise his role for the FUNi dub?.

It seems the next episode will cover at least up to "Z" #223, leaving just a little over 68 episodes left to adapt, minus the 1 filler, leaving a total of 67.
Not too sure what you mean, but we are getting a dub on Kix!, though it's more than likely that it will be cut slightly (I'm looking at you, exploding Spopovich), for younger audiences.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:18 pm

He's referring to the supposed two cuts that Boo Kai has. The Japanese 'short cut' and the international 'long cut'. You can read more about it in the general Boo Kai thread.

Deadtuber.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:25 pm

I love Babidi new voice. It's just as annoying as his old one. Damn Ajay beat me to the kihihiki laugh. I lost it there.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:51 pm

Though the score still doesn't feel like Dragon Ball at all, I'm getting used to it. I prefer it over the Yamamoto score at least.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:56 pm

kei17 wrote:Though the score still doesn't feel like Dragon Ball at all, I'm getting used to it. I prefer it over the Yamamoto score at least.
That's good to know. I like the Yamamoto score a lot (having listened to it on its own). I also like the scores from the US version, so it's probably something to look forward to. I'm generally pretty open minded about these. :D

Also, does anyone know why Yanami isn't reprising his role as Babidi? Doesn't he still voice the narrator? I may not have seen the Japanese version yet, but I know enough to know this. :)
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:42 pm

What's good about the Sumitomo score is that it sounds a lot better with a decent audio device. The Yamamoto score sounded really flat and underwhelming with good speakers because of Columbia's terrible mastering.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:51 pm

kei17 wrote:What's good about the Sumitomo score is that it sounds a lot better with a decent audio device. The Yamamoto score sounded really flat and underwhelming with good speakers because of Columbia's terrible mastering.
Definitely agree with this point. My sub absolutely shakes my room with some of the intenser scenes. It's very nicely done.

Deadtuber.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:34 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Here's a quick comparison I put together between the two Bobbidi voices - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBhiPqBYzI4

After sleeping on it, I'm still pretty set in my opinion that Jōji Yanami is far better than Bin Shimada at this point in time. Shimada's delivery seems far more over the top and 'silly' compared to Yanami's. They're similar but there's a twisted edge to Yanami's work that's unfortunately missing in the replacement.

I guess we'll see as time goes on. It's not a huge deal, I guess.

The new Babidi feels younger and has a sligther more immature voice. Oh, Dabura... He sounds so much more evil in DBZ. I really prefer his DBZ version.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:44 am

I got to say it really does feel awkward to not watch Kai with Kikuchi or Yamamoto. I mean now the ost is much more tolerable, but it feels so out of place. Like others have said it doesn't feel very Dragon Ball at all. It feels like it belongs in another show.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:33 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
kei17 wrote:What's good about the Sumitomo score is that it sounds a lot better with a decent audio device. The Yamamoto score sounded really flat and underwhelming with good speakers because of Columbia's terrible mastering.
Definitely agree with this point. My sub absolutely shakes my room with some of the intenser scenes. It's very nicely done.
An over extenuation of low frequencies doesn't point to a good master, especially when we're talking about the score. If anything I think that some of the low end has been a little muddy in the Sumitomo episode mixes. Anyone can boost at 50hz, it doesn't mean anything. A tight and defined low end is the mark of a good piece of work - the boomy low frequency effects are more suited for the sound design.

I do agree with Kei, though, that the Yamamoto score masters did lack punch and dynamic range.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:02 am

Blade wrote:An over extenuation of low frequencies doesn't point to a good master, especially when we're talking about the score. If anything I think that some of the low end has been a little muddy in the Sumitomo episode mixes. Anyone can boost at 50hz, it doesn't mean anything. A tight and defined low end is the mark of a good piece of work - the boomy low frequency effects are more suited for the sound design.

I do agree with Kei, though, that the Yamamoto score masters did lack punch and dynamic range.
I wasn't trying to imply that excessive low frequencies equated to a good master. It's just a very punchy, hard hitting score that sounds fantastic through my system - you know, referring back to Kei saying it sounds good through a decent audio device.

Whether or not you intended to, your post came across as presumptuous and condescending. Can't say I really appreciate that. I don't need the very basics of audio explained to me.

Deadtuber.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:03 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Whether or not you intended to, your post came across as presumptuous and condescending. Can't say I really appreciate that. I don't need the very basics of audio explained to me.
Completely unintended, and moreover, coming from a Music Technology background, I felt it would be more presumptuous to assume that you were versed in the technical side of things, knowing absolutely nothing about you. To give no explanation surely would have been to add nothing to the discussion.

When you refer to the fact that the master of the music score makes your room shake, it's hard to understand what else you could mean other than that your sub responds more to the LFE in the Sumitomo score than the Yamamoto, implying heavily (I have no idea how else to take your comments) that increased sub-bass frequency content in the former corresponds to a better master, which I merely pointed out from a technical perspective doesn't necessarily equate to a good piece of work, and if anything, I disagree with that notion.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:17 am

I agree entirely with what you said which is why I took offense. Apologies if my initial post wasn't clear. To clarify, I was referring to the fact that the score has a real presence and oomph to it that figuratively makes my room shake. Its low end is punchy when it needs to be and rumbles when the tone of the track requires it. All of the high end is rarely overshadowed by the lows, although I do agree that when it does happen, it's when the low end is at its muddiest.

I still do very much prefer Yamamoto's score but I'll be the first to admit there was very little punch to it. His pounding drums were as muddy as can be and were often lost amongst the sound effects of the show's hard hits. Real shame!

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Deadtuber.

Sinedd

Post by Sinedd » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:40 am

Episode 108 - The Heinous Mage Babidi and King of the Underworld Dabra's Trap
If Supreme Kai is so strong, why does he worry all the time? Vegita and Goku aren't worried.
Piccolo and Kuirin turned into stones. :( Piccolo is not fighting in the ship, nOO!
Spovovitch and Yamu were killed. Why? I wanted to see a fight. :thumbdown:
I'm sure Vegita will beat Puipui in first match. Not the same with Dabra...if he'll fight with him.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:47 pm

Sinedd wrote:Episode 108 - The Heinous Mage Babidi and King of the Underworld Dabra's Trap
If Supreme Kai is so strong, why does he worry all the time? Vegita and Goku aren't worried.
Piccolo and Kuirin turned into stones. :( Piccolo is not fighting in the ship, nOO!
Spovovitch and Yamu were killed. Why? I wanted to see a fight. :thumbdown:
I'm sure Vegita will beat Puipui in first match. Not the same with Dabra...if he'll fight with him.
You doing this rundown of each Kai episode is really nice because it reminds me of parts within the story that I feel could have been developed a bit further, or could have at least been a bit more satisfactory after everything has been said or done.

Your point about Piccolo not being there with them is interesting to me, just for the fact that I wish he would have been in the midst of it all and shown what techniques he had developed those 7 years in training!

I always thought that it was such a dropped ball focusing on just the Saiyans. I know that Goku, Vegeta, and Gohan were/are probably the most popular characters but that still doesn't make Piccolo's non-involvement set right with me. It is what it is at the end of the day I suppose, but I think DBZ in general would have benefited with Piccolo being in the midst of the fighting. It doesn't mean that he still couldn't train Goten and Trunks either.

And I thought the deaths of Spovovitch and Yamu were unnecessary at the time that they occurred. It rendered Gohan's sworn vengeance moot and seemed to kill a plot point way too early. I wish they could have been one of the contestants in the ship and Gohan would have had the chance to kill Spovovitch for Videl.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.