Kai Episode 109 (15 June 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kei17
I Live Here

Re: Kai Episode 109 (15 June 2014)

Post by kei17 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:38 am

Black_Liger wrote:Nope, Everything was like "The score is bland, Generic, is not db-esque enough, it has no punch, it's not fast paced like kikuchi" That's what I kept hearing :P (reading)
And that's exactly how I still feel about the Yamamoto score. I don't understand why so many people started praising it after it's gone.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:38 am

Soooooo does the full OP release yet?
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:40 am

TheAldella wrote:Soooooo does the full OP release yet?
If you are asking about the CD single for the opening theme, yes, it will be released tomorrow in Japan. This would be a subject for another topic, however, as it does not have anything specifically to do with this episode of the show.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:43 am

Valerius Dover wrote:So, a question. Have there been any instrumental versions of the the theme songs outside of the Next Episode Previews so far?
No, and there won't likely be any, because the score was most likely written and recorded back in 2012 when they started working on Boo Kai, long before the opening and ending songs were even created.

Actually, that's probably why the preview BGM sounds so cheap— they probably just haphazardly told Sumitomo to get something done at the last minute.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:55 am

VegettoEX wrote:
TheAldella wrote:Soooooo does the full OP release yet?
If you are asking about the CD single for the opening theme, yes, it will be released tomorrow in Japan. This would be a subject for another topic, however, as it does not have anything specifically to do with this episode of the show.
Sorry. Thank you.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:38 am

Puto wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote:So, a question. Have there been any instrumental versions of the the theme songs outside of the Next Episode Previews so far?
No, and there won't likely be any, because the score was most likely written and recorded back in 2012 when they started working on Boo Kai, long before the opening and ending songs were even created.

Actually, that's probably why the preview BGM sounds so cheap— they probably just haphazardly told Sumitomo to get something done at the last minute.
Just as I figured. That's why I'm still unsure as to whether the International Version will have the theme songs or not.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:02 am

Hmm, an instrumental version of Kuu Zen Zetsu Go has been recorded and used with this trailer...but will it be released on CD ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXVcOKppJZE Or maybe, you're talking about an "Orchestra" version, like we had with Dragon Soul ?
Puto wrote:they probably just haphazardly told Sumitomo to get something done at the last minute.
Yes, that's probably the case ! :lol: ...if so, it's another evidence of their unprofessionalism.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:12 pm

ShinGaijin wrote:Hmm, an instrumental version of Kuu Zen Zetsu Go has been recorded and used with this trailer...but will it be released on CD ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXVcOKppJZE Or maybe, you're talking about an "Orchestra" version, like we had with Dragon Soul ?
Puto wrote:they probably just haphazardly told Sumitomo to get something done at the last minute.
Yes, that's probably the case ! :lol: ...if so, it's another evidence of their unprofessionalism.
Why not just use the instrumental version doe?. It's better than the midi we got for NEP :P
kei17 wrote:And that's exactly how I still feel about the Yamamoto score. I don't understand why so many people started praising it after it's gone.
Atleast I was spot on then :P
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:45 pm

Well, first off, I've got the BGM for this episode documented now. Two new cues this week.

I have never known a score as polarizing as this one. Not in the sense that "you either love it or you hate it" (as I'm seeing plenty of in-betweens going on here), but in the sense that the good stuff is fantastic while the bad stuff is atrocious. The two newest cues in this latest episode are a perfect example. The cue right after the title card, while I agree is misplaced, is great at stirring the audience's blood. I especially love whenever the guitar kicks in. Now contrast that with the cue right after the commercial break. They chose to "punctuate" Yakon's menacing presence with some meandering atmospheric thing where the volume is so low it may as well not be there at all. In fact, my first time through this episode I didn't even realize there was music playing until the cue was nearly over.

And even when you consider how much I like that first cue I mentioned, it still has vocal chanting in it. There's something about all the fanaticism over cues with chanting in them that's been bothering me in the past several years, but it wasn't until recently that I became able to pinpoint what it was exactly: I've seen it as a representation of how much vocal songs in movies and TV shows are placed on a pedestal, while instrumental BGM is largely ignored (except, of course, on this board ;)). I've come to really resent this idea that a score just can't be epic unless there's some kind of vocal presence. That's nonsense: just look at Back to the Future. (And oh great honk, it just occurred to me... just imagine if BTTF were made today. It would have been scored by Hans Zimmer or one of his minions, and we'd never have the gorgeous, heroic melody Alan Silvestri wrote for it. There might even be Latin chanting as Marty revved down the street and Doc slid down the cord from the clock tower... ugh, no thank you.)

It was a neat technique back before everyone started using it, and yeah, there's plenty of cues I feel just wouldn't be the same without the vocals ("I Am The Doctor" from Doctor Who comes to mind), but I'm long tired of its overuse. It's like composers nowadays are only using it as a shortcut to "epicness".
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:21 pm

ShinGaijin wrote:Hmm, an instrumental version of Kuu Zen Zetsu Go has been recorded and used with this trailer...but will it be released on CD ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXVcOKppJZE
I had forgotten about that version. I wish those things got released on the CD singles more often. We get the karaoke versions, but I prefer the full instrumental versions.

This episode was decent, but I agree with the music complaints (especially regarding that fanfare as Yakon was destroyed). Also, I probably won't have any other place to bring this up, but does Yakon not make sense to anyone else? I had forgotten how much this bugged me. You've got a creature that apparently loves to eat light, yet it lives (and thrives) on a planet that's pitch black, miles away from any sun? I think we're missing out on a decent amount of backstory here...
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:38 am

MagicBox wrote:
ShinGaijin wrote:Hmm, an instrumental version of Kuu Zen Zetsu Go has been recorded and used with this trailer...but will it be released on CD ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXVcOKppJZE
I had forgotten about that version. I wish those things got released on the CD singles more often. We get the karaoke versions, but I prefer the full instrumental versions.
That. Exactly that.
MagicBox wrote:This episode was decent, but I agree with the music complaints (especially regarding that fanfare as Yakon was destroyed). Also, I probably won't have any other place to bring this up, but does Yakon not make sense to anyone else? I had forgotten how much this bugged me. You've got a creature that apparently loves to eat light, yet it lives (and thrives) on a planet that's pitch black, miles away from any sun? I think we're missing out on a decent amount of backstory here...
I think they ate all the light and had to move on :p Maybe Yakon himself ate all the light and that's why he's so "strong" :p

Also people talking about the DS9 Tribble crossover episode. I had no idea Rick Berman had said that and I'm kind of turning around on the thing. Maybe it was too serious for its own good. Watching it never bothered me though. I did realllllyyy like the musical highlight of the reveal of the Enterprise :p It must've been the best thing ever when that first aired :D

Sinedd

Post by Sinedd » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:13 pm

Don't Underestimate a Super Saiyan! Vegeta and Goku's Full Throttle Power!
Vegeta beat Puipui so easily, I thought that he was stronger. He couldn't touch him even on his planet! :shock:
2nd stage proved to be a more competitive. Yakon, could stand in front of Goku for a few minutes! :wave:
offtopic: last message from me this summer. Be back in September - October.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:10 pm

It was an all right episode for me, what I most liked about it was the picture quality as it seems to be getting better by each episode but the music placement and overall the soundtrack used just wasn't ideal or nearly as good as it was in the previous episodes. There's also that I'm still yet to get used to Babidi's new voice just... not as good as the original.

I do wish they'd stop reusing the same BGMs so much and go with the newer ones instead.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray