Kai Episode 110 (22 June 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GarrettCRW
Beyond Newbie

Re: Kai Episode 110 (22 June 2014)

Post by GarrettCRW » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:37 am

This episode was intensely bland and lifeless. It would probably be more worth to watch the component episodes of DBZ if the editing is going to be this listless.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:18 am

So today I saw a clip from Kai episode 109 and found out that Babidi has a new voice.
It's a completely different voice and sounds more like the Funi dub's than the original japanese.
I guess the guy who voiced Babidi originally has passed away or is sick or something?

In any case I prefer the new voice to the old, because Babidi's voice doesn't remind me so much of the narrator/Kaio anymore. Furthermore that it sounds closer to the Funi dub's, which I greatly prefer as the more fitting voice for Babidi.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:23 am

Joji Yanami still voices the narrator, so he's very much still alive. :D

Why they recast Babidi, I have no idea.
Last edited by Valerius Dover on Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:32 pm

Maybe it's something as simple as Toei can't afford Yanami for two roles. How long is a pro like that actually in the booth to record something as simple as narration?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:35 pm

B wrote:Maybe it's something as simple as Toei can't afford Yanami for two roles. How long is a pro like that actually in the booth to record something as simple as narration?
He's still voicing Kaio, too. So I don't think that's it.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:23 pm

I think it's gotta be something to do with Yanami's ability to play the role. Kaio and the narrator are much closer to his original voice than Bobbidi was. Perhaps it puts a strain on his throat?

As long as he's still on the show in some way, I'm okay if Bobbidi is recast. I do think it's interesting that Bin Shimada's interpretation sounds closer to the FUNimation voice now, though.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:44 pm

Don't suppose anyone has a short clip of the new Babidi floating around do they? I'd be very curious to hear what it sounds like myself.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:06 pm

MagicBox wrote:I think it's gotta be something to do with Yanami's ability to play the role. Kaio and the narrator are much closer to his original voice than Bobbidi was. Perhaps it puts a strain on his throat?

As long as he's still on the show in some way, I'm okay if Bobbidi is recast. I do think it's interesting that Bin Shimada's interpretation sounds closer to the FUNimation voice now, though.
Why do a few people call Babidi as "Bobbidi" they clearly pronounce Babbidi so it sorta bugs me when I read his name differently, as well as "Dabra" but I get why they do that for Dabura.

I still wish Yanami would be voicing Babbidi because he's the original voice of Babbidi. :(
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:39 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Don't suppose anyone has a short clip of the new Babidi floating around do they? I'd be very curious to hear what it sounds like myself.
Yeah, I made a comparison the week he first popped up in the show - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBhiPqBYzI4
Why do a few people call Babidi as "Bobbidi" they clearly pronounce Babbidi so it sorta bugs me when I read his name differently
Because the only reason FUNi's subs didn't go with Bobbidi is because they didn't want to run the possibility of Disney getting on their backs. The song is 'Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo' and so a better translation would be to use that spelling rather than to leave it as a direct translation in line with 'Tolanksu'. Unfortunately that wasn't the case.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:11 pm

Huh, never thought of that rationale for the Bobbidi spelling...I might actually end up trying to switch to that, since I do tend to prefer Boo over Buu nowadays.

And thanks for the clip, Ajay! Let's see...honestly, I'm kind of conflicted. While I do feel Yanami's feels a little too close to his Kaio/narrator/Bulma's dad take...there's just something I'm not quite feeling with Shimada's either. It almost feels a little too...much. I think my favorite take is still gonna have to be Duncan Brannan in the dub, whom I really hope gets to reprise the role in Kai. If he manages to be even better this time around too, holy crap.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:19 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Because the only reason FUNi's subs didn't go with Bobbidi is because they didn't want to run the possibility of Disney getting on their backs. The song is 'Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo' and so a better translation would be to use that spelling rather than to leave it as a direct translation in line with 'Tolanksu'. Unfortunately that wasn't the case.
Sorta off-topic, but I remember MANY years ago (had to have been 2001 or so), I read summaries of the Boo-arc on the young internet, and I remember one website called him "Baba D". :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:05 pm

Documented this episode's BGM.

This is the first episode in the Majin Boo arc to not feature any new cues, though we do get to hear previously-unheard sections of earlier cues, like "Unimpressed" and "Cheering On Videl".
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:04 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Why do a few people call Babidi as "Bobbidi" they clearly pronounce Babbidi so it sorta bugs me when I read his name differently.
The Disney song's name (as written on official Japanese Disney albums) is "ビビディ・バビディ・ブー."

The characters' names are written as "ビビディ," "バビディ," and "ブウ."

The only one whose name differs from its source is Majin Buu ("ブー" VS "ブウ").

The Disney song's name (as written in its original English) is "Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo."

Thus, I use "Bibbidi," "Bobbidi," and "Buu" when I write their names in English. The name pun is quite easy to adapt, but I'm sorry that it "bugs" you.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:53 pm

Yeah, I fell asleep about halfway through, went back and watched what I missed, then realized it was good I fell alseep halfway through.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]