Kai Episode 111 (29 June 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
kei17
I Live Here
Posts: 3921
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:23 am
Location: DB's Birthplace
Contact:

Re: Kai Episode 111 (29 June 2014)

Post by kei17 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:05 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:I don’t understand why they were playing this apocalyptic doom and gloom music that sounds like it belongs during the final moments of the Boo fight.
Agreed. It should be kept until the climax.
Dogasu wrote:The Korean version apparently doesn't have the green tint but it *is* darker.
I'm still skeptical about the tint being gone in the international version because there is still no real evidence about it.
My Website: World DBZ
My blog: Red Ribbon Army Japan Base
penguintruth wrote:Gohan: "You differently skilled, but fully functional member of society whose IQ doesn't quite meet societal standards but is no less a beautiful creature for having lived in this universe... who happened to kill my mother and friends."

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5953
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Kai Episode 111 (29 June 2014)

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:56 pm

kei17 wrote: Agreed. It should be kept until the climax.
I'm worried that we're going to here that every episode with fighting, since there's not much else in the way of fight music. :|
kei17 wrote: I'm still skeptical about the tint being gone in the international version because there is still no real evidence about it.
Yeah. One person said it, and we have no clips or screenshots as proof.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
worldmonsters
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 9:33 am
Contact:

Re: Kai Episode 111 (29 June 2014)

Post by worldmonsters » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:07 pm

Funny, a lot less backlash on this episode than I thought. I actually really liked the part with the doom music to be perfectly honest. I thought they'd whoosh through it and to me at least it sort of made that battle feel kind of interesting. And then after the doom music ended it dragged on for the rest of the episode and they didn't even finish with Satan "beating up" Android 18 O__o;; I mean dammit, this could all have fit into half an episode and they could've spent that time on showing more Great Saiyaman stuff, wth. They shorten the parts that need the air and they lengthen the parts that don't need ANY of it. I totally really liked the first few minutes and hoped they'd turn Super Saiyan when the doom music ended, but nopes.

Do you think they switched over to the international version? Maybe because it's doing so well on TV? I don't know if it is, but that could be a reason? I dunno. I reallllyyyy dunno. They had a very good pace before this, hope next episode goes back to quick, but not too quick :o

User avatar
Dogasu
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:27 am
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Contact:

Re: Kai Episode 111 (29 June 2014)

Post by Dogasu » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:10 pm

kei17 wrote:You don't accidentally have your saturation or brightness/contrast altered in VLC, do you?
I used PowerDVD. Sorry I didn't use the Kanzenshuu-approved screenshot grabbing program of choice :roll:
kei 17 wrote:I'm still skeptical about the tint being gone in the international version because there is still no real evidence about it.
That's why I said "apparently."
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on May 30th, 2018

User avatar
Ajay
Moderator
Posts: 6078
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Contact:

Re: Kai Episode 111 (29 June 2014)

Post by Ajay » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:16 pm

Dogasu wrote: I used PowerDVD. Sorry I didn't use the Kanzenshuu-approved screenshot grabbing program of choice :roll:
Huh? That's kinda rude.

It was a legitimate question. I was just trying to understand why it was so saturated, that's all.
Follow me on Twitter! // Super Animation Catalogue
[url=https://twitter.com/Yuyucow][b]kViN[/b][/url][i] on Tadayoshi Yamamuro[/i] wrote:
A fun drawing killed his family and now his life's goal is to oppress them all.

User avatar
EmmaWinters
Moderator
Posts: 863
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:10 pm
Location: The Interstice
Contact:

Re: Kai Episode 111 (29 June 2014)

Post by EmmaWinters » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:08 am

I didn't hate this, but I was really hoping to get Number 18 / Satan over with. Fortunately the next episode should be a step up.
AjayLikesGaming wrote:The terrible remaster really showed its true colours (hah!)
Whoa, did I miss a remaster hate-jerk? I'm infatuated with how this looks and would love a breakdown of why it sucks.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

GarrettCRW
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:09 am
Location: North Las Vegas
Contact:

Re: Kai Episode 111 (29 June 2014)

Post by GarrettCRW » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:52 am

This is the condensed version of Kai? Seriously, I'm done with Kai. This is just painful.

JamesOwnz
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 224
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:53 am

Re: Kai Episode 111 (29 June 2014)

Post by JamesOwnz » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:30 am

Painful how long it took for Dabara to show himself here, now wondering how long it took for him to show in DBZ?

Honestly.. I don't know how DBZ would have been watchable week to week like that.

User avatar
Xeogran
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1828
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:04 am
Contact:

Re: Kai Episode 111 (29 June 2014)

Post by Xeogran » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:22 am

JamesOwnz wrote:Honestly.. I don't know how DBZ would have been watchable week to week like that.
No Internet to complain.
Lack of blatant spoilers in the OP/ED
Seiyuu at their prime.
Good BGMs.
Enjoyable atmosphere {I'll rather have fillers that give characters personality rather than senseless cuts like in Kai}

User avatar
Ajay
Moderator
Posts: 6078
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Contact:

Re: Kai Episode 111 (29 June 2014)

Post by Ajay » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:07 am

EmmaWinters wrote:Whoa, did I miss a remaster hate-jerk? I'm infatuated with how this looks and would love a breakdown of why it sucks.
Yeah, from day one we've said this sucks.

So TOEI abandoned QTEC, the guys in charge of Kai's previous remaster, in favour of doing their own work on the cheap this time around. So far we've seen some pretty glaring issues:

- Heavy green tint

For some reason the entire broadcast of this show has had this strong green tint to it. We don't know whether this will be present on the home release as there were some Battle of Gods trailers that featured a similar tint not present in the final release.

Image
(Top – Kai, Bottom left – Dragon Box, Bottom right – colour-corrected Dragon Box)

This was something I put together back towards the start of the series. If you compare my quick colour corrected version of the Dragon Box to Kai, you can see the different pretty clearly. Check out Shapner's lime green hair compared to the intended blonde below it.

Another example involving Videl with a white point reference comparison:

Image

Green shifted white point vs. Absolute white.

- Lazy, amateur colour correction

It was pointed out by Kei17 that artifacts and leftover colour casts can be seen throughout areas of the picture as a result of poor colour correction:

Image

Image

That ringing comes from not choosing the correct range of colours to correct. Whoever colour-corrected it will have gone to select the range of the sky and not considered the bleed into the clouds.

Z for reference:

Image

- Crushed Blacks

Once again, stealing another example Kei; it was picked up that the blacks are crushed meaning you're losing a lot of detail in darker areas.

Image
Image

Check out Gohan's back!

- 16:9 Only?!

So, with Kai 1.0, the show was broadcast in 16:9 to adhere to TV regulations. Not a problem since the home releases were in the intended 4:3 ratio. However, it seems this time around, there is only a 16:9 version of the show. This was discerned from the home release listings being tagged with a ratio of 16:9 instead of 4:3 like the other sets on the site. In a recent podcast, it was theorised that the only reason Kai 1.0 was in 4:3 is because they were already underway with the original aspect ratio before they were told that 16:9 was mandatory.

Kai's cropping is mostly fine but the act itself is always going to be destructive and run into inevitable issues:

Image

What can they do here? The shot is specifically composed for a 4:3 frame. You're either losing all of Dabra or you're getting Bobiddi's mouth cut off.

That's just covering the purely visual side of the remaster! Kai 1.0 had the infamous redrawn shots to remove/reduce the flashing scenes since nobody wants a repeat of the Porygon incident. However, since there are zero redrawn shots outside of one or two colour fixes, they've opted to simply remove the brighter frames from the flashing sequences. This results in super jerky animation or camera zooms/pans depending on the scene.

It's just been a total mess to add to the pile of problems this continuation has.
Follow me on Twitter! // Super Animation Catalogue
[url=https://twitter.com/Yuyucow][b]kViN[/b][/url][i] on Tadayoshi Yamamuro[/i] wrote:
A fun drawing killed his family and now his life's goal is to oppress them all.

User avatar
EmmaWinters
Moderator
Posts: 863
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:10 pm
Location: The Interstice
Contact:

Re: Kai Episode 111 (29 June 2014)

Post by EmmaWinters » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:39 pm

The crushed blacks is what most surprised me.
Is that a persisting issue? Part of why I enjoy this so much is because it avoids that pitfall or the most part.

Image

Admittedly, this is from a fansub, so the colors may not match exactly with a raw.
The whole Green Tint thing is understandable, but I'll refrain from complaining until I see it on a home release.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

User avatar
Ajay
Moderator
Posts: 6078
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Contact:

Re: Kai Episode 111 (29 June 2014)

Post by Ajay » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:00 pm

The only good group subbing the show makes a point of removing the green cast each week so if you don't see it, chances are they did!

Likewise, I'm interested in seeing how the home releases compare to the TV broadcast.
Follow me on Twitter! // Super Animation Catalogue
[url=https://twitter.com/Yuyucow][b]kViN[/b][/url][i] on Tadayoshi Yamamuro[/i] wrote:
A fun drawing killed his family and now his life's goal is to oppress them all.

User avatar
KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6473
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:03 am
Location: Chicago, Illinois.

Re: Kai Episode 111 (29 June 2014)

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:06 pm

Boy they are really hyping up Gohan VS Dabra aren't they?
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

JamesOwnz
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 224
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:53 am

Re: Kai Episode 111 (29 June 2014)

Post by JamesOwnz » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:52 am

Nightstar1994 wrote:
JamesOwnz wrote:Honestly.. I don't know how DBZ would have been watchable week to week like that.
No Internet to complain.
Lack of blatant spoilers in the OP/ED
Seiyuu at their prime.
Good BGMs.
Enjoyable atmosphere {I'll rather have fillers that give characters personality rather than senseless cuts like in Kai}
Yes but the pace..

It's taken 2 full episodes of Kai to get to the Gohan vs Dabara fight.. how long in dbz did it take?

User avatar
TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 915
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:03 pm

Re: Kai Episode 111 (29 June 2014)

Post by TheAldella » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:15 am

JamesOwnz wrote: It's taken 2 full episodes of Kai to get to the Gohan vs Dabara fight.. how long in dbz did it take?
It's actually just over what it has taken from Kai, but I'm going off of episode titles because I haven't watched Kai.
Favorite anime -
Naruto Shippuden
Dragon Ball Z Kai
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)
Watchmen (2009)
Man of Steel (2013)
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
Wonder Woman (2017)
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

User avatar
Flame Dragon
Regular
Posts: 619
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 9:52 am
Location: Italy

Re: Kai Episode 111 (29 June 2014)

Post by Flame Dragon » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:14 pm

I'm beginning to think all the glaring issues with the tint and artifacts are just because it was lazily color corrected in a hurry in time for the TV airing.
I'm curious to see how screenshots from the International version will compare...

User avatar
Valerius Dover
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1851
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Kai Episode 111 (29 June 2014)

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:46 pm

I think somebody else mentioned this already, but I'll say it anyway.

People have said these past few episodes are probably just the same as The Final Chapters. This is probably because they furiously edit certain groups of episodes while leaving others the same, instead of reasonably editing EVERY episode. It's probably cheaper this way. Yet another sign of the International Version probably being superior.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

User avatar
dbboxkaifan
Banned
Posts: 8906
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: Kai Episode 111 (29 June 2014)

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:49 am

It was an all right episode without anything too interesting happening but I was hoping Mighty Mask to win even though he was destined to be defeated.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Shinnin
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:58 am

Re: Kai Episode 111 (29 June 2014)

Post by Shinnin » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:19 am

I think they should've waited until next episode to change the ending.

Post Reply